• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Christmas Wreaths

What do wreaths signify?

• Death, argh!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No, good luck you idiot!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else? Do tell.

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
What are peoples views on hanging a wreath on the front door at Christmas?

I shudder when I see this as wreaths are for dead people. But I read recently that hanging a wreath on your door invites good luck into your house. No, it definitely invites death!

It would be interesting to see the spread of views on this. Is there a North/South divide? English/Scottish? What about in other countries?

It seems common in Edinburgh but I don't know the nationalities of the people behind the doors so it is hard to tell.

I'm making a Halloween wreath for next year. It will have skulls on.

A few years ago I bought a job lot of hooks specially made for hanging wreaths on doors. Haven't used them, they'e in one of the sheds, but I bet they'd come in REALLY useful for displaying expensive front door ornaments to the local scrotes.

I'm making a Halloween wreath for next year. It will have skulls on.

A few years ago I bought a job lot of hooks specially made for hanging wreaths on doors. Haven't used them, they'e in one of the sheds, but I bet they'd come in REALLY useful for displaying expensive front door ornaments to the local scrotes.
Why then you are probably dead already and posting from [echoey voice]beyond the graaaaave [/echoey voice]! :ghunt:

What are peoples views on hanging a wreath on the front door at Christmas?

I shudder when I see this as wreaths are for dead people. But I read recently that hanging a wreath on your door invites good luck into your house. No, it definitely invites death!

It would be interesting to see the spread of views on this. Is there a North/South divide? English/Scottish? What about in other countries?

It seems common in Edinburgh but I don't know the nationalities of the people behind the doors so it is hard to tell.

We live in the NW near Fleetwood and I am with you but the wife disagrees she is or
was born a Southerner guess who wins, yep we have a wreath.

I believe it's not so much the circular shape of a wreath as what it's made from that determines its function.

Laurel wreaths signify victory or celebration.

Holly, ivy, pine cone, twigs, berry or tinselly wreaths are definitely Christmassy.

Floral wreaths do make me think of funerals though, except for those colourful Hawaiian wreaths (known as a Lei) which are used to welcome guests.

I believe it's not so much the circular shape of a wreath as what it's made from that determines its function.

Laurel wreaths signify victory or celebration.

Holly, ivy, pine cone, twigs, berry or tinselly wreaths are definitely Christmassy.

Floral wreaths do make me think of funerals though, except for those colourful Hawaiian wreaths (known as a Lei) which are used to welcome guests.
Very interesting. Where I come from (NE Scotland) a holly wreath is merely what you put on a grave at Christmas instead of flowers!

At Castle Frideswide we use it as a way to show the neighbours that

* we are still alive

* we are making an effort.

We are very much the quietest most reserved house of the street so we think it is a good idea!

to add. I don't remember them from my childhood. Except at the local Posh House where half of the partnership was from the USA. They had new made to look old coach lamps by the door too which goes to show you how totally posh they were :crazy:

I'm from SW Scotland Min Bannister. Have you done a map yet :)

I grew up in the Midlands and we never had a wreath, not many folks have them where I live now either (a village on the south coast). MrsCarlos is from Dublin and I don't think wreaths were big news over there.

Funnily enough I was listening to Radio 4 the other day* and there was a discussion about wreaths, apparently they're big this year as people are making them as a craft thang. The interviewees all said it was very therapeutic.

*I was driving a pool car at the time, it was the only thing the radio would tune to. I normally listen to metal or phat beatz when imma cruisin'

Wreaths (as we now use them) represent eternal life, so are eminently suitable for funerals, memorials, Christian-based celebrations (if that's your bag), or mid-winter festivities. We always had one on the front door at Xmas (I'm originally from the Glasgow area). I like them.

We're talking about Garlands, yes? The rings of greenery with bows and bells and stuff around them, which you stick on your door at Christmas?

I grew up in the Midlands and we never had a wreath, not many folks have them where I live now either (a village on the south coast). MrsCarlos is from Dublin and I don't think wreaths were big news over there.

Funnily enough I was listening to Radio 4 the other day* and there was a discussion about wreaths, apparently they're big this year as people are making them as a craft thang. The interviewees all said it was very therapeutic.

*I was driving a pool car at the time, it was the only thing the radio would tune to. I normally listen to metal or phat beatz when imma cruisin'

In Ireland wreaths are put on doors as death threats...

And I had you down as an Archers, You & Yours, and Round Britain Quiz man..

And I had you down as an Archers, You & Yours, and Round Britain Quiz man..

I've never elected to listen to an episode of the Archers in my life, but for years I'd have Radio 4 on whenever I was at home and awake (and frequently when asleep) and I also lived with somebody who was a lifelong fan. I did at one stage begin to think it was just about OK, but somewhere in the late 90s and early 2000s it went into absurd insanity mode and ceased to be about the lives of anybody remotely plausible--painfully 'relevant.

Wreaths were not a thing when I was a kid in northern England but I've seen more of them than I can shake a stick at this year in Glasgow.
I think originally the symbolism is green life, foliage, in a circular formation, and so is about the cyclical nature of life and whatnot. Nowadays I think they're just an accepted part of the Christmas scenery. I don't have one but I'm not adverse to them. Especially sparkly ones.

Re Radio 4, I was a total junky, but had to quit a few years ago when I was depressed because the continual negativity and adversarial tone was really getting to me. I switched to 6 music and haven't looked back!

I'd assume a holly wreath is meant to look like the mock crown that Jesus wore.

I have no real opinion about Radio 4.

Mum (Southerner) started hanging a Christmas wreath 10 or 20 years ago, no idea where she got the inspiration (or indeed the wreath).

Radio: another vote for 6music

I've never elected to listen to an episode of the Archers in my life, but for years I'd have Radio 4 on whenever I was at home and awake (and frequently when asleep) and I also lived with somebody who was a lifelong fan. I did at one stage begin to think it was just about OK, but somewhere in the late 90s and early 2000s it went into absurd insanity mode and ceased to be about the lives of anybody remotely plausible--painfully 'relevant.

I don't blame you. I find my hand automatically reaching for the re-tune control when I hear the music in a sort of Pavlovian response. I've caught bits & bobs of it over the years then days later experienced deja vu on hearing a snippet which seems awfully familiar. Took me ages to realise they repeat the whole weeks episodes on Sunday in one mammoth splurge.

We're talking about Garlands, yes? The rings of greenery with bows and bells and stuff around them, which you stick on your door at Christmas?

You're right, the xmas ones're garlands rather than wreaths.

Everything about a 'garland' is more cheerful than a 'wreath'. I mean, a mountain wouldn't be garlanded with mist or a nymph wreathed in smiles.

You can tell the difference on the front door. Sombre green: someone's dead. Baubles: xmas.

Back