• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chromatography Uncovers Plastic Rice Scandal

'Disgusting food found in China'.
I am surprised.
No, really.

A recent edition of R4's Clare in the Community had the au pair cooking polystyrene as a meat substitute. Thought that was comedy!

The pair in the second video raise the question of how on earth it can make economic sense to fake such basic commodities as eggs and rice on production lines? They don't really answer it.

Even the business of refilling shelled walnuts with concrete seems ridiculously labour-intensive, even if you have slaves! They mention the shrewdness of Chinese customers who would judge the weight of the nuts before buying; concrete, even packed with paper, seems like over-compensation for the missing lightweight kernel. :confused:

I thought that too.
Why fake eggs when a chicken will knock 'em out cheaply?
:huh:

There's a disease infecting pork in China at the moment, and though it's the most common meat here people are avoiding it. Word on the street has it that unscrupulous traders are dying pork red and selling it as beef (presumably at a markup, too, as beef is much more expensive in China).

The pair in the second video raise the question of how on earth it can make economic sense to fake such basic commodities as eggs and rice on production lines? They don't really answer it.

Even the business of refilling shelled walnuts with concrete seems ridiculously labour-intensive, even if you have slaves! They mention the shrewdness of Chinese customers who would judge the weight of the nuts before buying; concrete, even packed with paper, seems like over-compensation for the missing lightweight kernel. :confused:

Replies 3 years later lol.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the video, the only way I can see it making economic sense is if they are working with the byproduct of some other industrial process , f*ck knows what though.

the only way I can see it making economic sense
I smelled bullshit with the 'fake eggs from China' story and it did of course turn out to be bullshit - in what world would a complicated replica of an egg be cheaper than an egg? But I think that 'fake food from China' stories tend to have what Snopes calls 'mixed truth values' - some are complete ULs while some may be true.

I smelled bullshit with the 'fake eggs from China' story and it did of course turn out to be bullshit - in what world would a complicated replica of an egg be cheaper than an egg? But I think that 'fake food from China' stories tend to have what Snopes calls 'mixed truth values' - some are complete ULs while some may be true.
Well... they do make fake food over there. Milk and baby formula for a start.

I'm impressed you read Chromatography Today James!

I must have found the original link on a foodie blog.

Some of the products which come under the Frankenstein Foods rubric turn out to be real. I think the long, cylindrical egg-rolls were real, as there was a demand for a regular and predictable white and yolk pattern for some catering purposes. "eggf:

Back