• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Found it interesting in the video of this creature, the man who shot it says that he hopes someone will help him out by identifying it through DNA. Surprised me that he'd actually have to hope, seems that scientists would be on this like flies on honey.

Scary looking fangs of this thing! :eek:

I'm sorry that cannot be the chupacabra. Without getting a look at its teeth i'm going to say its a herbivore. Apparently it was 'eating mulberrys' under a bush.

Its very light and does not look strong enough to be as vicious as the possible chupacabra attacks.

I think its just an exotic hybrid species, made by some unscrupulous trader to sell as a curio.

Edit: added link - http://www.oftm.com/download/chupa.wav

Think you can ID this creature?

Web Posted: 07/29/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Elvia Aguilar
Exfpress-News Staff Writer

When chickens started disappearing from Devin Mcanally's back yard, he blamed his long-haired terrier, Chenzie.

But when 35 birds vanished in one day, he knew there was another culprit.

Three weeks later, the Elmendorf rancher and retired English teacher still is wondering what attacked his flock, even after shooting a mysterious nearly-hairless critter as it munched on a nearby mulberry tree.

"It had a hair pattern down the ridge of the back about 1 to 2 inches long," Mcanally said. "I have lived here for 15 years and have never seen anything like it."

Mcanally took pictures of the beast before burying it in his backyard. Some of those pictures have circulated among animal experts, who disagree on what it is.

Wildlife biologist Brian Mesenbrink, with the San Antonio office of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, saw the pictures and declared it was a coyote with mange.

Mesenbrink said the Elmendorf area has a heavy concentration of coyotes.

"The mange is caused by parasites that infest the skin of the coyote and end up killing it," he said. "I know the Elmendorf area has a lot of coyotes and I am pretty sure that's what it is."

Not so fast.

Terry DeRosa, living collections manager for the San Antonio Zoo, said that because the creature weighs only about 20 pounds, it could be a wild Mexican dog.

Mcanally isn't so sure it's either.

"I don't believe that it's a coyote," Mcanally said. "The creature had fangs protruding outside the upper jaw unlike any coyote."

He added that the creature's ears resembled those of a desert rat and it had the muzzle of a rat.

He encountered the doglike creature with bluish skin during the day.

He's hoping for a more thorough investigation, since his chickens have stopped disappearing.

"I am curious to see what it is, and I thought more people would be as well," he said. "I would like to see someone identify it through DNA."

Jody Baker, Mcanally's friend, is surprised by his encounter.

"When you are in touch with nature and live in as remote a location as Devin, you become more aware of the diversity of nature and how much we don't know about the natural world around us," she said. "It's truly amazing."

Requires (free) registration:

link

Onix can you or can anyone else post some links of pictures of these hairless mexican dogs that look like this animal please :)

edit: found some :tongue:

these dogs do look very similar but the creature looks slightly more deer shaped to me (but only slightly)

I always think these hairless breeds woul be a bit creepy as pets. Would any one stroke a hairless cat or dog?

Austen said:
I always think these hairless breeds woul be a bit creepy as pets. Would any one stroke a hairless cat or dog?

But they'd be ideal if you wanted a pet (non-piscine and non-reptilian) but were allergic to animal fur.;)

Not for me. But popular with 70s strippers.....

The mexican breed was developed as a hot water bottle for aztecs who were too lazy to fetch their own boiling water.

and some dogs do have blue skin...look at a chows tongue

I have seen dogs delicatley pluck blackberries, taking only the ripest. wild strawberries and raspberries are popular too

Timble said:
But they'd be ideal if you wanted a pet (non-piscine and non-reptilian) but were allergic to animal fur.;)

I am allergic to animal fur - I have to wash my hands after I stroke a dog or my face swells up. Stroking a hairless animal would be either unpleasant or kinky!;)

yeah, mine eat grass when they're bored. Although, it doesn't really look much like one of the hairless dogs, that's not what I would've thought it was, but at the same time I wouldn't have thought Chupacabra.

After using Google image search to find photos of foxes and coyotes with mange, I'm pretty convinced that's the case with both of these mystery creatures.

Found one of a fox with mange (left) which looks remarkably like the Elmendorf creature, compare them here side by side. The fox even has a fang showing over its lip like the other creature.

When my husband forwarded me this story, a number of things struck me about it.

1) (Lets get my natural pedantry out of the way first.) Even in South Texas, where people who can't speak Spanish nonetheless speak Spanish, the s gets left off!
2) Why did this guy assume that a critter that's eating his mulberries also ate his livestock?
3) Why is it assumed to be a chupacabras when a mutt with mange or Mexican hairless genes is so much more likely? There has been no chupacabras flap in the area recently that I'm aware of. Elmendorf is close enough to SA that I've worked with people who commuted, though it was a long trek. I *should* know about a flap.
4) Mulberries? He's got mulberries? They never appeared in our neighborhood and my figs are rotting on the tree. Stupid weird weather grumble grumble. (Anomolous amounts of rain this year, probably not relevant but you never know with this sort of thing.)

And, putting the most striking things last - 5) This is the third hairless mystery beast this summer! Is there a mange epidemic or what?

I'm also surprised, reading the follow-up (thanks, Emps!), that he buried it instead of taking it in to the taxidermist; though I suppose the local taxidermist may only operate in hunting season. Still, Elmendorf is not a big town and the guy owned a gun. He must know the taxidermist's name. You'd have to do something with it - it's properly summer now, 80 degrees Fahrenheit at 6:00 A.M. today, so the thing started rotting before it hit the ground. But, if he's really stumped as to what it is, he should have taken some sort of step to preserve it - at least, I would have. If nothing else, why didn't he call the county wildlife officer while the body was fresh?

My own money has been on a Mexican hairless mutt, presumably a stray since no one's come after the shooter's hide yet. Since his chickens have stopped dying, it's possible he got the culprit, and if so any dog owner is out of luck since livestock-killing dogs are given short shrift in rural areas. But that's odd, too - 35 chickens in one day?!?! That's not a one-dog job, unless it's kill-crazy; that's a pack. And a kill-crazy dog among the chicken makes a ruckus and should have been caught in the act.

So even without it being a chupacabras, there's plenty to think about.

Looking at that pic i'm likely to agree that its a mangey fox.

the fang like teeth on either side of its mouth mark this out as something strange. It just may be a new type of animal , previously identified as a chupacabra. However if it is then from other descriptions of the chupacabra id say there must be at least one other form of unknown animal out there identified as a chupacabra. Some of those reports alluded to "wing" like protusions, and there are obviously nothing like that on this.

Scarlett said:
I think you mean 'elbow'? In dogs the 'knee' on the hind legs is called the stifle joint.

Yep, that's the word. Didn't remember until today. Thanks.

I'm kind of frustrated as I can't watch the video (bloody idiots using Windows Media), and the stills are kind of blurry.

My first thought, on seeing the body shots, was that it was a small species of deer. (Possibly not native to the area.) The close up of the head looked more like a rat than anything else.

Couldn't watch video. Is creature in vid definately the same one as in photo, 'cause it looks like a stillborn deer calf to me?

Yep, a fox with sarcoptic mange, I think.

Foxes have a sweet tooth and eat fruit, so that would explain the mulberry eating.

Looks like one of the speices of small deer, chinese water deer, muntjac, ect, and yes some do have teeth showing like that !.

Austen said:

Saw one at a show last week. My first reaction was 'ugh, poor thing!', but having 'talked' to it for a while, it seemed very sweet natured.

Carole

Elmendorf Chupacabra Really A Deer?

LAST UPDATE: 7/30/2004 8:15:08 PM
Posted By: Angela Becerra

The great debate continues over a strange animal shot and killed by a farmer in Elmendorf. A San Antonio hunting guide says he has the answer.

The animal found in Elmendorf has fangs and is somewhat blue in color. It's hairless except for a strip going down its back, so some say it possibly suffered from some kind of mange. Rancher Devin Macanally says the animal had attacked dozens of his chickens.

Some experts believe it's a sort of wild Mexican dog.

But hunting guide E.T. Hughey says he's sure it's a Muntjac (MOONT-jac) deer -- a small antelope-type animal.

He says some South Texas ranchers import them, and turn them loose on their property.

But others have speculated that the "Elmendorf beast" is some kind of canine. Still others believe it's the chupacabra -- an animal of Mexican folklore, said to kill farm animals.

We here at News 4 WOAI have done a little digging around on the world wide web, and have uncovered some interesting facts.

According to the Rolling Hills Zoo in Kansas, "as Muntjacs mature, the upper canine teeth are elongated into 'tusks' that curve outward from the lips." Also, "Muntjac deer are sometimes known as the 'barking deer' because they will emit a barking sound to warn others of predators and to identify individuals." Some interesting canine comparisons.

Concerning the dead chickens at the Elmendorf farm, Muntjac deer are actually herbivores. But remember, Mcanally says he found the creature eating mulberries. And a British web site says the deer are very territorial, using their canine "tusk" teeth on intruders, to inflict "serious injuries... to their flanks, neck and ears." Perceived chicken intruders, perhaps?

But there are some questions to ask about the deer theory. On the web sites we searched, the pictures of Muntjac deer don't indicate a long tail. The pictures from Elmendorf show that creature's tail is quite long, almost rat-like. Also, Muntjacs, just like other deer, have split hoofs. It's hard to tell from the pictures if our strange animal had hooves, or some kind of paw. We haven't gotten a chance to ask Mcanally yet.

Of course all of these are just theories at this point. No one has done any testing on the "Elmendorf beast."

You decide! Check out the web links yourself, including this one showing the skull of a Muntjac deer with the canine teeth, then let us know what you think. If you think it's something else, tell us why!

link

Links:

http://www.rhrwildlife.com/theanimals/d/deermuntjac/

http://www.deer-uk.com/muntjac_deer.htm

http://www.skullsite.co.uk/Muntjac/muntjac.htm

Mysterious animal is the talk of Elmendorf

Web Posted: 07/30/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Elvia Aguilar
Express-News Staff Writer

ELMENDORF — A day after pictures of a mysterious creature shot by a local rancher hit the Internet, the debate continues in this quiet little town over exactly what the strange-looking animal is.

Locals gathered at DeLeon's Grocery and Market, looking at pictures and talking about the critter that attracted more than 100 visitors to the store Thursday afternoon.

"We had a few people from Seguin and Poth come by this morning," said Maxine Guerra, storeowner. "We had one guy from Waco who stopped by on his way back home to get a glimpse of the pictures."

The doglike beast shot and killed by rancher Devin Mcanally has captured the attention of many who say they have seen similar animals in the area.

A similar creature reportedly has been spotted in Maryland, where locals are calling it the hyote, a combination of a hyena and a coyote.

Ronald Ray said his son recently shot and killed an animal in Sabinal that looks a lot like the one Mcanally shot.

"My son is definite that this is the same kind of animal he shot the other day," Ray said.

He said his son, who does ranch work in Sabinal, about 62 miles west of San Antonio, shot the animal when it came hissing toward him.

Tyler Hamilton, 10, of Helotes has his own idea of what the strange animal might be.

"It's a duiker," he said, referencing a small antelope native to Africa.

Blue duikers have bluish-gray skin when they are adults. They have hair on the inner parts and under the tail. They are most commonly found in areas with dense vegetation.

Jon Cordova disagrees.

"It's a Chinese Crested (dog)," Cordova said.

As the debate continues, locals in this city of 669 said this is the biggest story to hit this town since the 1930s, when bootlegger Joe Ball killed himself.

According to legend, Ball also known as the "Alligator Man," kept a pond of seven pet alligators near his tavern. When workers at his tavern began disappearing, townsfolk speculated he had killed them and fed their corpses to his alligators.

"When he was called in for questioning he pulled out a gun and shot himself," Nancy DeLeon, said. "The story of Mr. Mcanally's creature is right up there with that one now."

Mcanally said he is surprised by the response he has received from his mystery beast, but no one has offered to investigate further.

He has received numerous phone calls from radio stations and even a visit from a man with the Mutual UFO Network Inc., a group devoted to the study of UFOs.

"I talked to a radio station in Los Angeles this morning and then this man came to visit," Mcanally said. "No one has volunteered to do DNA testing though."

Barbara Valdez, who has lived in Elmendorf for 17 years, said she hopes more of these creatures aren't found.

"I don't need anything spooky happening in this city," she said.

link

Somebody really needs to dig this thing up before he forgets where he put it. At least find out if it's got hooves or toes!

People drive me crazy. They'd rather guess than go find out.

I agree. If I lived anywhere near San Antonio, I would go to have a look myself.

Aren't there some serious CZ types in Texas? Where are they at the moment?

Small speices of deer, (this reminds me of the three frogs thread !!).

anome said:

To be fair, I'm closer than anyone on the board, and I'm not going. I don't drive (you have no idea how strange this in in Texas!) and I hate meeting strangers and asking them to do things like dig up mystery beasts and I couldn't identify it whatever it is, so that's my list of excuses. I wonder where Loren Coleman is. He travels a lot. You'd think somebody from the Zoo or one of the nearby game parks would be curious.

But isn't this just the way it is in Fortean studies? It's damned data - some mysterious psychological (or is it more sinister?) force keeps us from investigating properly.

I'll keep checking the WOAI news site.

I wasn't criticising you. (Although I had forgotten you were in San Antonio.) It was more directed towards the CZ community.

Of course, it may be that they have been there, but have not published their findings as yet. I would have expected to hear something about it here, however.

anome said:
I agree. If I lived anywhere near San Antonio, I would go to have a look myself.

Chester Moore is a FT-connected cryptozoologist in Texas and although he is most famous as Bigfoot man he strikes me as the kind of person who'd be happy to go and dig up some strange animal (I know if I lived closer I'd be there with a spade and some stinking corpse!!). His site:

http://www.cryptokeeper.com

That's the guy I was thinking of. Thanks, Emps.

Might drop him a line to see if he's doing/has done something about it.

Baby Md. Mystery Animal Caught, Identified

Animal control officers took the creature to the Falls Road Animal Hospital. They determined it was a fox with sarcoptic mange.
GLYNDON, Md. -- The mystery may be over as one of the creatures roaming through central Maryland was finally captured on Saturday.

According to the veterinarians at Falls Road Animal Hospital in Baltimore, the animal was a male red fox. However, Dr. Michael Herko -- a vet at the animal hospital -- and the man who caught the fox say it is not the mysterious creature videotaped in July, but a relative.Jay Wroe set a trap in his back yard after videotaping an animal that was roaming around. It was an animal he could not immediately identify.

The humane trap paid off on Saturday when Wroe went out to check the cage and saw from a distance that he had caught something."This one is definitely the baby to the mother because the one I filmed was obviously bigger than this thing," Wroe said.

Animal control officers took the creature to the Falls Road Animal Hospital. They determined it was a fox with sarcoptic mange. "It is a skin parasite that looks -- under the microscope -- like spiders," said Dr. Herko. "One of the signs of the disease is hair loss and you've seen he's lost a good portion of its hair -- a good 70 percent."

Wroe is hoping that since he's caught the baby that the mother is not far behind.

Animal control has custody of the fox and plans to rehabilitate the animal to release back into the wild. story link here http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3604803/detail.html

Back