• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I don't know about coyotes specifically, but most wild animals do have black, 'blue' or dark grey skin, whatever their hair colour.

jimv1 said:
Are coyotes blue under the fur?

Yes. These so called blue dogs have been tested in the real world by vets, anatomists and zoologists. Anatomically they're identical to coyotes, genetically they're identical to coyotes (although it's been claimed that they're hybrids, whereas in fact their DNA exactly matches any other coyote's in that it shows some interbreeding with other canids).

Thanks for clearing that up. It reminds me of those amazing pictures of mangy bears.

lrg-most-animals-get-funnier-when-you-shave-them.-not-bears.-bears-get-even-more-terrifying-9883-4837.jpg

oldrover said:
(although it's been claimed that they're hybrids, whereas in fact their DNA exactly matches any other coyote's in that it shows some interbreeding with other canids).
So they're technically correct. ;)
technically_correct.jpg

That mangy bear...looks like a werewolf!

Mythopoeika said:
That mangy bear...looks like a werewolf!

If nothing else, bears and wolves are related. However I do not think bears related to werewolfs.

Man Believes He's Killed A Chupacabra

A Mississippi man shot a strange creature he believes to be a chupacabra -- a legendary creature that most experts believe to be nothing but a myth.

Matthew Harrell of Leake County killed the bizarre-looking animal Wednesday morning while "coon hunting" in a chicken coop.

"My neighbor said the creature had killed three of his chickens," the 28-year-old told The Huffington Post. "I thought it was a coon at first."

That opinion changed after he saw the bizarre animal's red glowing eyes.

"This one just wasn't lunging. He was down like a cat," Harrell told WJTV-TV. "When I was standing right yonder, he hit right here. And I was seeing the teeth and red eyes. It looked like he was going to jump down there and i didn't give him the chance."

The animal Harrell shot is almost without hair and its nails are longer than what most dogs would have on its paws.

Video at the link - but it just looks like another mangy coyote... :roll:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/1 ... 21520.html

kamalktk said:
oldrover said:
(although it's been claimed that they're hybrids, whereas in fact their DNA exactly matches any other coyote's in that it shows some interbreeding with other canids).
technically_correct.jpg

Au contraire.

While the offspring of a coyote and a wolf (for example) could be correctly termed a hybrid, no definition of the word as I understand it could be applied to an individual whose genetic makeup was typical for the species as a whole.

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that the animals parent were in any way distinct from each other. So technically they're wrong. And technically I'm right which as you say is the best kind.

jimv1 said:
Thanks for clearing that up. It reminds me of those amazing pictures of mangy bears.

I've just seen that photos, and it does look a bit werewolfy.

oldrover said:
kamalktk said:
oldrover said:

Au contraire.

While the offspring of a coyote and a wolf (for example) could be correctly termed a hybrid, no definition of the word as I understand it could be applied to an individual whose genetic makeup was typical for the species as a whole.

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that the animals parent were in any way distinct from each other. So technically they're wrong. And technically I'm right which as you say is the best kind.
How would you explain something like the red wolf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf with that definition? It was genetic study that determined red wolves as a species are possibly a coyote-wolf hybrid. Yet the red wolf is considered a separate species, and a red wolf pup born to red wolf parents would be genetically typical.

I think the "chupacabra is a hybrid" people are claiming onto this sort of definition of hybrid. The animal breeds true but has identifieable dna from multiple species, much like the coyote with canid dna. Thus, the "chupacabra" is both a separate species and each individual is genetically typical, and a hybrid, much like the red wolf.

/chopped out the pic to save space

/ I personally go with "animal with mange" for chupacabra, so this is all in the interest of banter.

So when all is said and done, this thread is in fact about alien looking blood-suckers that feast on furry mammals. Its just a question of scale :D

Sarcopticmange-500x500.jpg

How would you explain something like the red wolf ...

/ I personally go with "animal with mange" for chupacabra, so this is all in the interest of banter.

In the case of the red wolf, as far as that link is concerned, the results of the genetic study have been highly disputed. Apparently instead of using red wolves they actually did use coyote wolf hybrids. I'm a bit confused about that too.

As to the crux of the question;

Yet the red wolf is considered a separate species, and a red wolf pup born to red wolf parents would be genetically typical.

I honestly don't know. I mean as far as the red wolf example OK that could well be spurious research, but I can't say that I think that it couldn't happen like that. Perhaps my definition of hybrid is too rigid.

Ultimately though I fear these poor mangy animals are going to be the next big craze. Perhaps Kechum will do a 'proper' DNA analysis and publish another paper. That'll answer all our questions.

So when all is said and done, this thread is in fact about alien looking blood-suckers that feast on furry mammals. Its just a question of scale

Indeed.

Texas chupacabra story with photos and video.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/texan-family-kill-a-mythical-chupacabra-9156618.html

Texan family 'kill' a mythical chupacabra

Couple are convinced the coyote-like animal is the stuff of legends, but wildlife experts are not so sure

Independent. Heather Saul. 27 February 2014

A family in Texas claim to have shot and killed a chupacabra, a mythical creature with a reputation for sucking blood from live-stock across America.

Doug Ohrt and his wife Lucy said they were at their home in Victoria County ranch on Sunday night when they came face-to-face with the coyote-like animal.

After hearing a ‘howl’ the couple's grandson ran out and shot the creature from 240 yards, Ms Ohrt told ABC news affiliate KAVU.

When the family ventured outside to take a closer look at the animal, they were certain they had shot the legendary beast.

"My grandkids said: ‘Oh that's a chupacabra,’" Ms Ohrt said.

Descriptions of chupacabra sightings have varied, but many who claim to have seen the cryptid say it closely resembles a coyote but with a skinny body covered in matted patches of hair.

The first sightings were reported in Puerto Rico as early as 1995.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9157915.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/chupacabra.jpg

Chupacabras have a reputation for sucking the blood from livestock

"It's usually got long hair on it and this one doesn't and that's what makes it different from a regular coyote," said Ms Ohort added. "I’ve heard people say they've gotten young calves, but they have never gotten any of ours.”

But Josh Turner, a wildlife biologist with Texas Parks and Wildlife was unconvinced by their claim.

"I've seen squirrels, raccoons and coyotes in this area with the same features", he said.

“They're a mythical creature that most people see, but what it really is sarcoptic mange which is caused by a mite that bites the animal and it can be on any mammal - dogs, cats, coyotes foxes, and humans can get another version of it as well,” he explained.

Video courtesy of ABC news
Photos & video at link.

It does look like a hairless coati, yes.

That poor thing's definitely got mange - look how sore it is. They need to take it to a vet. That'll clear the ID right up.

Not a very scary chupacabras, fitting in a HavaHart trap and eating corn in trees.

Yes but it's a monster goat molesting bald raccoon...from hell.

In the latest FT there's news of Chupacabras - in India!
Indian bloodsucker news

That link is the latest news, where it has attacked people, but apparently there have been sheep and ducks (?!) found mutilated and drained of blood, according to the FT bit. So is this genuine animal behaviour, or has the folklore spread via the internet and blamed the bloodsucker of the 90s?

Bloody hell it's Vincent. Haven't seen him for a while.

It won't be legit animal behaviour.

In the latest FT there's news of Chupacabras - in India!
Indian bloodsucker news

That link is the latest news, where it has attacked people, but apparently there have been sheep and ducks (?!) found mutilated and drained of blood, according to the FT bit. So is this genuine animal behaviour, or has the folklore spread via the internet and blamed the bloodsucker of the 90s?

From MU: "Monsters are animals we haven’t yet named." UGH! REALLY?!? No. Terrible writing on that site.

Was "Chupacabra" mentioned though? Or just the blood-sucking trope? Regardless, Chupacabra is now the catch-all for any mysterious predation of livestock. It's lost it's true Hispanic, supernatural heritage. And also it's alien eyes and spines as well. Very sad.

From MU: "Monsters are animals we haven’t yet named." UGH! REALLY?!? No. Terrible writing on that site.

Was "Chupacabra" mentioned though? Or just the blood-sucking trope? Regardless, Chupacabra is now the catch-all for any mysterious predation of livestock. It's lost it's true Hispanic, supernatural heritage. And also it's alien eyes and spines as well. Very sad.

Chupacabras was mentioned in the FT report, I don't know if The Times of India went there.

Picked this up over on Unexplained Mysteries.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/03/a-whistleblower-and-a-bizarre-theory-for-the-chupacabra/

The chupacabra is a thylacine apparently, not just any old common or garden variety either, but a cloned ( during the 80s) thylacine infected with a rage virus by the military who wanted an army of crazed collie sized killing machines. You know, instead of napalm or something.

I have to admit there are a few things about this story which bother ne.

Back