• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Church Criticised In Abuse Probes

Full text at link.

Ex-priest 'had dreadful weakness for young boys'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11470740

Richard John James Robinson James Robinson denies all the charges against him

A former clergyman with a "dreadful weakness" for young boys moved from parish to parish sexually abusing children over 24 years, a court heard.

Richard John James Robinson is alleged to have committed offences against six boys aged under 16 between 1959 and 1983 at churches in the West Midlands.

The 73-year-old former Roman Catholic priest denies 22 charges.

He had "something of a knack for spotting the quiet child of the family", prosecutor John Attwood said.
'Predatory manner'

The prosecutor told Birmingham Crown Court: "Although he moved from one boy to another over the years, there are, we suggest, marked similarities in the way he behaved towards the boys and their families.

"There would be presents, there would be visits, there would be trips out in his car."

Mr Robinson faces 22 charges, including five counts of buggery, two of attempted buggery, 12 counts of indecent assault and three counts of indecency with a child.

The prosecutor said... the boys did not speak out at the time because they were bewildered, ashamed, and felt they would not be believed.

:(

escargot1 said:
The prosecutor said... the boys did not speak out at the time because they were bewildered, ashamed, and felt they would not be believed.

:(

Same as in Ireland, Australia, USA. Not only not believed but they would have been punished for telling such "lies".

Visitation genuine attempt to renew trust, says Brady
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 33682.html
ALISON HEALY

Fri, Oct 08, 2010

CARDINAL SEÁN Brady said yesterday he hoped that people would see in time that the forthcoming apostolic visitation was a genuine attempt to renew the trust of people who had been abused.

He was speaking at Dublin airport as he arrived home from Rome after meeting the four senior churchmen who will take part in the apostolic visitation. He said it had not yet been decided whether the visitation report would be published.

Survivors have given a mixed reaction to the details of the visitation announced earlier this week. The Holy See said the visitators would “give particular attention to victims of abuse and their families, but will also meet with and listen to a variety of people . . .”

A spokesman for the Catholic Communications Office said there was no further information on the identity of the people or groups who would meet the visitators. This would be decided by the apostolic visitators, he said.

Campaigner for victims of clerical abuse Andrew Madden was scathing about the visit and said he had no intention of meeting any bishops any time soon.

“I think this apostolic visitation is just self-serving, window dressing nonsense. I have no intention of helping bishops to give the impression that they are doing anything worthwhile or serious by participating in it,” he said on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland yesterday.

However, fellow campaigner Marie Collins said she would meet one of the apostolic visitators, Cardinal Seán O’Malley of Boston, if she was asked but she had not been approached yet.

Dr Brady welcomed the news that Ms Collins was willing to engage with the visitation.

“This is good news and I hope that many others will do so too,” he said.

Another victim of abuse, Amnesty International’s Colm O’Gorman, said there was no need to investigate what happened in the past because those facts were well established by investigations such as the Murphy report.

“I do think there’s a value in engaging with the visitation,” he said. “This investigation should be asked to account for Rome’s dishonesty and deceit on foot of these investigations and the responses to the publications of these reports.”

Separately, Labour TD Kathleen Lynch has called on Minister for Education Mary Coughlan to meet the survivors of the Magdalene Laundries and the Bethany Home as soon as possible. The survivors have criticised the Government’s refusal to include the homes in the list of qualifying institutions for the Residential Institutions’ Redress Scheme.

Bethany Home survivors’ group chairman Derek Leinster said the the State had tolerated deplorable conditions in these institutions and was now trying to wash its hands of it.

Yesterday, the Justice for Magdalenes group said it was “disappointed and greatly concerned” that the Conference of Religious of Ireland had declined to meet the group.

Cardinal invites abuse victims to contact him
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 25894.html
PATSY McGARRY, Religious Affairs Correspondent

Mon, Nov 15, 2010

THE APOSTOLIC visitor to Dublin’s Catholic archdiocese Cardinal Seán O’Malley said yesterday that he and his team “look forward to meeting with as many as possible from the victims themselves, the bishops, the priests and religious and the laity of the archdiocese, knowing that the crisis of the sexual abuse of minors has profound repercussions in the life of the entire community”.

Speaking in Dublin’s pro-cathedral at the 11am Mass, the cardinal, who is archbishop of Boston, said, “because the viewpoint of the clergy and laity are so crucial, I have asked Ms Barbara Thorp, Fr John Connolly and Mr Thomas Hannigan to accompany me and assist in this visitation. They have been invaluable collaborators in Boston, and I am certain their experience will be very helpful to me during this visitation.”

Anyone wishing “to share their testimony can contact me through the apostolic nunciature here in Dublin, to request an appointment, or submit their thoughts in written form, also through the nunciature,” he said. The cardinal will be in Dublin until Friday. Then cardinals from around the world will meet in Rome to address issues raised by the Anglicanorum Coetibus, set up to accommodate disaffected Anglican clergy, as well as clerical abuse, and the pope’s 10-year-old Dominus Iesus document. “I shall return early next year to continue this important work. Please pray that this visitation will be helpful to the people of Ireland, will advance the safety of children in society as a whole and promote the healing and reconciliation that we all desire,” he said.

“The Holy Father envisions this as a pastoral visit to assist the church here on the path to renewal,” he said. He and his team were “here to be available to meet with some of those who have been harmed by abuse and wish to meet with us. We will attempt to communicate to them the apologies of a contrite church and the pastoral solicitude of the Holy Father.

“Likewise, we will try to assess how well the guidelines of Safeguarding Children, produced by the national board, are working.”

He noted that “in Dublin much has been done already to address the crimes of the past and to develop sound policies to ensure the safety of children and to provide assistance to the victims of child abuse. The task of the visitation is to bring new eyes to the situation, to verify the effectiveness of the present processes used in responding to cases of abuse. We are not here to reduplicate investigations or studies of the past.”

He recalled his first visit to the pro-cathedral was in 1963 and coincided with the visit of President John F Kennedy. “My family left these shores for America in the difficult decades after the Famine, the Reidys from Co Clare and the O’Malleys from Mayo . . . The only vestiges of that journey that our family still treasures are a two-volume History of Ireland by the Abbé MacGeoghegan and a beautiful statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus . . .

“What they did not leave behind was their Catholic faith and their great love for Ireland. I was raised with both. And it is with that same love for the Irish people that I come to this visitation. I have come to listen, not to offer a quick fix. I come to listen to your pain, your anger, but also your hopes and aspirations.”

Welcoming the cardinal and his team, Archbishop Martin said “the archdiocese of Dublin today is wounded by sinful and criminal acts of priests who betrayed the trust of vulnerable young children”. People had “lost their trust in the church. For many young people the recent scandals have become the final element in their alienation.” It called for a “renewal” and “recognition of what was done wrong in the past – particularly to the weakest”.

US cardinal told apostolic visit off to 'a very poor start'
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 25969.html

Mon, Nov 15, 2010

CARDINAL SEÁN O’Malley of Boston, who is apostolic visitor to the Dublin archdiocese, was told by a clerical abuse victim last night that his concelebration of Mass in Saint Mary’s Pro-Cathedral yesterday with two bishops named in the Murphy report was “a very poor start” to his visitation.

Among the concelebrants with him and Archbishop Diarmuid Martin were Bishop Dermot O’Mahony and Bishop Éamonn Walsh.

Dublin abuse victim Marie Collins, who met the cardinal for about an hour last night, said the participation of the two bishops sent out “a very, very bad message”.

This was particularly so as “Bishop O’Mahony has never shown any regret, nor has he accepted the Murphy report findings”, she said.

Cardinal O’Malley met Ms Collins and other Dublin abuse victims at separate meetings in All Hallows College last night. He “appeared sincere and very open”, she said, but “there’s no way of knowing. I’ve been in that situation many times before.”

Cardinal O’Malley became archbishop of Boston in 2003 after his predecessor, Cardinal Bernard Law, resigned following controversy over his handling of clerical child sex abuse allegations there.

He has been sent by the pope as apostolic visitor to Dublin “to verify the effectiveness of the present processes used in responding to cases of abuse”, as he put it yesterday.

The Murphy report found that Bishop O’Mahony’s handling of allegations or suspicions of clerical child sexual abuse was “particularly bad”. Auxiliary bishop of Dublin from 1975 to 1996, it found that he was aware of 13 priests against whom there were allegations or suspicions by 1995.

Last December, one month following publication of the report, Bishop Walsh offered his resignation. That has since been refused by the pope.

Yesterday’s Mass, marking the feast of St Laurence O’Toole, patron of the archdiocese, was attended by members of the archdiocese’s metropolitan chapter, which includes senior clergy in the archdiocese.

Bishop O’Mahony is dean of the chapter and Bishop Walsh is its precentor.

Following publication of the Murphy report, Archbishop Martin asked Bishop O’Mahony to refrain from publicly administering confirmation and to cease his association with a charity which brings disabled children to Lourdes.

Dolan election hailed as victory by abuse group
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 28702.html

NEW YORK – Archbishop Timothy Dolan was elected president of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops yesterday in a vote celebrated as a victory by advocates for victims of sexual abuse by priests.

Archbishop Dolan defeated Bishop Gerald Kicanas of Tucson, Arizona, by a vote of 128 to 111 at an assembly in Baltimore.

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (Snap) praised the defeat of Bishop Kicanas because of his links to Fr Daniel McCormack of Chicago, who pleaded guilty in July 2007 to abusing five boys and was sentenced to five years in prison. – (Reuters)

Abuse victims to protest at cardinals' ceremony
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 09721.html
PADDY AGNEW in Rome

Fri, Nov 19, 2010

IT SAYS much about today’s Catholic Church that this weekend’s Consistory of Cardinals, always an occasion for self-congratulatory, full technicolour, Holy See pomp and circumstance, may be marked by a series of protests from the US clerical sex abuse survivors group Snap.

Even as the 203-strong College of Cardinals is meeting in the Synod Hall today, Snap activists will be staging protests nearby urging the so-called “Princes of the Church” to “stop making symbolic gestures about abuse” but rather to “each spend two hours publicly reaching out to victims”.

The reason for the protest is that earlier this month the Vatican announced that Pope Benedict XVI wanted the cardinals to begin the consistory today with a day of prayer and reflection on a series of key issues affecting the life of the church. Thus it is that the cardinals will today discuss religious freedom, contemporary liturgy, relations with the worldwide Anglican community and, last but not least, “the response of the church to cases of sexual abuse”.

While the Prefect of the Congregation For the Doctrine of the Faith, US cardinal William Levada, addresses fellow cardinals on the adequacy (or not) of the Catholic Church’s response to the sex abuse crisis, Snap activists will be protesting just down the road in Piazza Navona. The activists intend to walk around the square holding placards with “childhood photos” while handing out fliers urging anyone who “saw, suspected, or suffered child sex crimes” to speak out, thus exposing wrong-doers and starting the healing process.

Earlier in the day, Snap will hold a news conference close to the Vatican at which four or five clerical sex abuse victims from Belgium, England, Germany and the US will urge the cardinals to stop making “symbolic gestures” but rather to reach out to those “who may have been hurt in the church and who are still suffering in silence, shame and self-blame”. Furthermore, Snap will again call on all Catholic prelates to “turn over to police and prosecutors the personnel files of proven, admitted and credibly accused child-molesting clerics”.

It is unlikely, however, that the Snap protest will much impinge on the three-day celebration, heralding the appointment of 24 new cardinals. In two lavish ceremonies on Saturday and Sunday, the pope will present the new cardinals with their rings, zucchetti (small skullcaps) and birette (four-cornered silk hats), the latter two scarlet in colour, of course, as symbolic of the commitment of the cardinal to hold fast to the faith “even unto the shedding of blood” ( usque ad sanguinis effusionem ).

Arguably the most significant aspect of this week’s appointments is the extent to which they reflect a creeping “re-Italianisation” of the Catholic Church. Ten of the new cardinals are Italian as compared with two from the US and Germany and one each from Brazil, Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, Guinea, Poland, Spain, Sri Lanka, Switzerland and Zambia.

Victims reveal their suffering at the hands of 'singing priest'
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 30922.html
CARL O'BRIEN

Tue, Dec 07, 2010

FR TONY Walsh was best-known for his Elvis act as part of the All-Priests Show, a groin-thrusting, hip-shaking performance. It was good-humoured, light entertainment in the parish halls of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

But for three boys, whose childhoods were destroyed over three decades ago, it had the most horrible connotations.

Yesterday, former priest Tony Walsh (57) was jailed for 16 years for abusing three young altar boys in Ballyfermot, Dublin. One of the boys was repeatedly raped over several years between the age of seven and 12; and he indecently assaulted the two other boys.

Sentencing him yesterday, Judge Frank O’Donnell labelled Walsh a “serial offender” who had inflicted a “life sentence” on one of his victims.

“It is difficult to imagine more reprehensible circumstances than a priest in confession setting about the sexual abuse of a young boy,” the judge said. “This is a gross breach of trust, and that’s putting it mildly.”

The abuse of one of the boys, “David” (not his real name), involved Walsh tying him up with the cords from his vestments before raping him. When the boy started to cry in pain, the priest turned up an Elvis record to drown out the noise. Later, he told the boy he would “burn in hell for all eternity” if he told anyone.

Through their dignified victim impact statements, the three men yesterday revealed how the abuse has scarred them and continues to damage their lives.

“Following the abuse, I turned to drink and drugs to numb the pain,” David said. “My trust was gone towards people . . . When I was around 16, I attempted suicide. It was the first of numerous attempts.”

Another victim, “Noel”, told how his parents refused to believe him when he disclosed he was being abused. Their response devastated him. “My mother said: ‘How could you say that about a man of the cloth, a man of God?’ My father gave me a hiding which started in the kitchen and finished in the bedroom.”

The third victim, “Tim”, said the abuse has left him distrustful of men and he freezes under pressure; he cannot rid himself of the memories.

“I remember lying face-down, while Mr Walsh lay on top of me, making gyrating movements . . . I remember thinking, ‘When will this be over, when can I leave?’”

Following the sentencing, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin of Dublin said he hoped the finality of the legal process would help bring them some sense of justice, healing, closure and hope for the future. “I can only unreservedly apologise to the victims of this man for what they endured and for the way in which the diocese failed them.”

For victims like David, the legacy of abuse feels like a life sentence. Still troubled, he admitted himself into a psychiatric hospital last night.

“I have been diagnosed as suffering from severe bouts of psychotic depression...” he said. “Because of all this, I will be on medication for the rest of my life.”

Missing chapter of child abuse must be published
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 24422.html
Tue, Dec 07, 2010

ANALYSIS: The latest priest child rapist from the Dublin archdiocese was named yesterday, thanks to the persistence of his victims, writes MARY RAFTERY

THE BAD, the ugly and, somewhat surprisingly, the good – or at least what passed for good in the morally bankrupt culture of the Archdiocese of Dublin at the time – are all to be found in the tale of Tony Walsh, one of the most notorious of the city’s paedophile priests, convicted yesterday for his repeated rape of one small boy and his sexual assaults on two others during the 1970s and 1980s. He is the subject of the missing chapter 19 of the Murphy report, redacted so as to not prejudice the trial which concluded yesterday.

To glean some insight into the enormous damage done by this priest, it is worth remembering again what the victim called “David” had to say on the RTÉ Prime Time programme Cardinal Secrets in 2002:

“When I have a dream, I am basically being raped again and again and again and I could not under any circumstances overstress the word ‘raped’. I am being raped in my sleep. It mightn’t happen every night of the week but it happens at least two or three times a week and I just don’t sleep because I just, the minute I close my eyes and get back into the sleep I’m getting raped again so I stay awake and I . . . What they do, they give me drugs to put me to sleep, or I take a bottle of whiskey if I don’t want to go near the doctor.”

David is from Ballyfermot and was raped by Walsh for over four years, starting when he was only seven. Walsh had the run of the local national schools, and that was where he first singled out David and many other young victims. With great pain and anguish to himself, David has spent years seeking justice for the enormous wrongs done to him. He has awaited the conclusion of yesterday’s case for over eight years – an unconscionable delay by any standards.

In what could be argued to be a gross abuse of process, the legal system permitted delay after delay in the various – entirely legitimate – ruses employed by Walsh to seek to quash the charges and postpone the trial.

David turned up to each of these hearings, hoping against hope for some sort of closure. Walsh persisted in his not-guilty plea, piling on the drip, drip effect of the torture of David’s spirit. Walsh has spent the past eight years out of jail by virtue of being allowed by a system to torment an immensely brave man who refused to give up.

The appalling reality throughout the years David was being raped as a little boy by Walsh was a veritable slew of senior and prominent clergy knew he was a paedophile. Any one of them could have saved David and all of Walsh’s subsequent child victims.

Ken Reilly was an altar boy at Walsh’s ordination Mass in 1978. They lived close to each other in Coolock on Dublin’s northside. Walsh started abusing Ken shortly after his appointment as curate in Ballyfermot. A few months later, Ken told his mother, Ena. She immediately informed her own parish priest in Coolock and also reported Walsh to Canon Val Rogers, the Ballyfermot parish priest.

Rogers then asked fellow Ballyfermot priest Fr Michael Cleary, the famous singer, entertainer and Late Late Show pundit, for help. Cleary turned up in the Reilly household at one stage and told Ken and his mother that Walsh had admitted the abuse, and that he (Walsh) was sorry. He then somewhat bizarrely took young Ken aside and proceeded to inform him of the facts of life.

But as the months passed, Ena Reilly could see that nothing was happening. Ken was becoming deeply disturbed, banging his head off walls until he bled. Walsh was going from strength to strength, appearing on television as a singing priest. One of his favourite acts was as an Elvis impersonator. There is something vilely obscene about the surviving footage of him grinding his hips, complete with his grinning, all-priest backing band.

What was even more disturbing, however, was Walsh was now in charge of the largest troupe of altar boys in the country, over 60, in what was at the time Dublin’s biggest parish. And chillingly, he was allowed preside over one of Ballyfermot’s most popular ecclesiastic events – the weekly children’s Mass.

Ena Reilly decided to take matters further. She approached one of the Dublin auxiliary bishops, James Kavanagh. He fobbed her off by telling her that these things happen, and she remembers he asked her to kiss his ring.

She then went to the chancellor of the archdiocese, Msgr Alex Stenson. She was told the then archbishop Dermot Ryan had been informed. But nothing changed. Meanwhile, Walsh continued his abuse. In 1986, the priest was eventually moved out of Ballyfermot. But it was only to another parish, Westland Row, where he gained access to a new population of young victims. He was convicted in 1997 for the abuse of two boys in this parish.

All through this time, Ena Reilly heroically continued her struggle to get someone in the Catholic Church to take her information seriously about the danger he posed to children. While he was eventually removed from parish work in 1988, it was to be four years and several complaints from further victims later before serious action was taken.

And here we come to the good bit, or at least what passed for it in the Archbishop’s Palace world of secrets and mental reservations – lies to you and me. The then incumbent, Desmond Connell, convened an internal tribunal which concluded Walsh be defrocked. Walsh did not deny sexually abusing the children. His defence was he was sick rather than guilty, and he appealed the decision of the tribunal to the Vatican. There it languished for a number of years, with Rome apparently considering that some years in a monastery might be more appropriate than a full removal from the clerical state.

It appears Connell argued strongly with the Vatican that Walsh be laicised. He deserves credit for this. The tragedy is for the four years he fought – Walsh was eventually laicised in 1996 – Connell kept the internal Dublin tribunal findings secret from the Garda, the health board and his own priests.

It is important to note that neither did any of the other bishops involved share their detailed knowledge of Walsh’s crimes with the civil authorities. These included two members of the tribunal which decided to defrock him – Bishop Willie Walsh, now retired, of Killaloe; and Bishop John McAreavey of Dromore – together with other Dublin auxiliary bishops.

To the eternal shame of each and every one of these bishops, this allowed Tony Walsh turn up in 1994 at the funeral of an elderly man in Palmerstown, posing as a priest. At the meal after the Mass, he attacked the 11-year-old grandson of the deceased in the toilets, sexually assaulting him.

The boy immediately told his parents and Walsh was arrested, pleaded not guilty, was convicted and sentenced to one year in prison. This was followed two years later by further convictions in respect of six victims, for which he received a six-year sentence and was released in 2001.

With all current charges against Walsh finally dealt with yesterday, the way is now clear for the publication of the missing chapter 19 of the Murphy report. This will provide a wealth of detail on the cover-up of abuse during the final decades of the 20th century, in Dublin and at the highest levels of the Vatican. Its publication, which requires formal court sanction, is a matter to which the Minister for Justice should apply himself with urgency.

It is the very least this society owes to David, to Ken and Ena Reilly, and to all of Walsh’s victims who have fought such a long, costly and painful battle for justice.

Mary Raftery, with reporter Mick Peelo, produced and directed RTÉ’s Prime Time programme Cardinal Secrets , which resulted in the establishment of the Murphy commission

Statement: Archbishop Diarmuid Martin
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 26516.html
Tue, Dec 07, 2010

Tony Walsh, a former priest of the Archdiocese of Dublin, was sentenced today for the grievous sexual abuse of three people when they were still only children. My first thoughts go to these victims and their families. I hope that the finality of the legal process will help bring them some sense of justice, of healing, of closure and hope for the future.

Tony Walsh, however, abused many more children, the numbers are truly shocking. For some of these he has already served sentence. He caused untold destruction in the lives of numerous children.

Today’s news will sadly have reignited the ordeal of many of his victims.

The Archdiocese of Dublin failed these children. It was too slow in recognising that Tony Walsh was a predatory paedophile. When the extent of his paedophile activity was identified this dangerous man was allowed to continue in ministry for many years with the consequent damage visited on children.

We now know he may have been abusing children even during his seminary formation. He was finally dismissed from the priesthood on the insistence of Cardinal Desmond Connell. It was a tragedy, however, that Tony Walsh was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Dublin and thus had privileged access to children.

I can only unreservedly apologise to the victims of this man for what they endured and for the way in which the diocese failed them. The fact that Tony Walsh was allowed to minister as a priest long after his paedophilia was identified is also a tragedy for good priests in Dublin whose vocation and life’s work in the name of the Gospel were tarnished.

The Archdiocese of Dublin is committed to doing everything possible to ensure that no-one like Tony Walsh would ever be allowed to minister in Dublin again. There is no room for compromise when dealing with predatory paedophiles. There can be no going back on the robust child safeguarding norms adopted by the Irish Church.

It is crucial that any victims of abuse who have not received help talk to the Garda, or the HSE, to the Safeguarding and Child Protection Service of the Archdiocese or to a counsellor or service of their choice.

Archbishop Martin apologises over Walsh child sex abuse in Ballyfermot
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 04657.html
PATSY McGARRY Religious Affairs Correspondent

Mon, Dec 13, 2010

PRELATE'S ADDRESS: CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has apologised unreservedly to the people of Ballyfermot in Dublin following the abuse of children there by former priest Tony Walsh, “and about the way this abuse was hushed up by people with responsibility in the parish and in the diocese”.

Speaking during Mass at the Church of the Assumption in Ballyfermot yesterday, he said: “I came here this morning to renew my apologies to the people of this parish for the facts that this week have emerged.”

He was referring to the jailing of Walsh for 16 years last Monday, four suspended, following his conviction of the sexual abuse of three boys from Ballyfermot during the late 1970s to the early 1980s.

“I come to bring my apology to a parish to which I owe much. I grew up here; it is a parish to which I belonged and to which I feel I still belong. It is a parish which grew up in hardship, but whose people worked hard and supported each other and above all gave themselves so that their children could do well in life. This has been the story of Ballyfermot for years, as it is today,” he said.

He asked: “How do I explain to a community marked by such honesty, good neighbourliness and hard work that the church failed many children of this parish?”

Many of those who came forward “did not want to damage the church they loved. They simply wanted abuse to be stopped, effectively and definitively. Their love of the church was betrayed by leadership in the church,” he said.

He could not “but recall that in the years in which I lived in this parish I was exactly at the age of many of the children who were abused by Tony Walsh and sadly by a number of other priests who worked in this parish over the years. I apologise unreservedly.”

Looking back, he said, “I see more clearly that the catastrophic manner in which the abuse was dealt with was a symptom of a deeper malaise within the Irish church . . . It had often become self-centred and arrogant . . . and rarely empathised with the hurt of children.”

The first step on the road to renewal was for the church to “honestly acknowledge with no ‘buts’ . . . the gravity and the extent of what happened”, he said.

© 2010 The Irish Times

Withheld Murphy report chapter on child abuser Walsh to be published
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 54831.html

Thu, Dec 16, 2010

A WITHHELD chapter of the Murphy report relating to former Dublin priest Tony Walsh is expected to be published on Monday following a High Court decision yesterday.

The Murphy report followed a statutory inquiry into the handling of clerical child sex abuse allegations by church and State authorities in Dublin’s Catholic archdiocese between 1975 and 2004.

Chapter 19 of the report and 21 other references to Walsh were withheld by Mr Justice Paul Gilligan on October 15th, 2009, prior to publication of the report on November 26th, 2009.

The ruling was made as criminal proceedings were then pending against Walsh on charges of the sexual abuse of three children. On December 6th last, Walsh was sentenced to 16 years imprisonment, four suspended, after pleading guilty in two of the cases and on being convicted following a trial in the third.

Yesterday, Mr Justice Gilligan noted that the period of appeal from conviction and sentencing in the case had yet to expire and that the probability was that it may well be appealed to the Court of Criminal Appeal.

Bearing in mind that any appeal to the Court of Criminal Appeal will not involve a jury and that no submissions made could prejudice such an appeal, and taking account of the public interest in the publication of those areas of the 2009 Murphy report, the judge concluded it was appropriate that the order of October 15th, 2009, be set aside.

He said a second order made by him on October 21st, 2009, which redacted Chapter 20 of the Murphy report, should remain in place. He said he would consider publication of Chapter 20 on July 5th next.

© 2010 The Irish Times

Uncomfortable for Dublin and Vatican
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 54877.html
PATSY McGARRY

Thu, Dec 16, 2010

ANALYSIS: THE PSEUDONYM chosen for Tony Walsh in chapter 19 of the Murphy report was “Fr Jovito”. So said Justice Paul Gilligan in the High Court yesterday.

The name’s alliterative associations with things jovial or joyful make it seem singularly inappropriate for this hip-swinging, Elvis-impersonating, frequently brutal child abuser.

Apparently, however, in line with all other pseudonyms in the Murphy report, it was chosen at random.

Like previously published chapters, chapter 19 will make for deeply uncomfortable reading for senior Catholic Church figures in Dublin who held high office at the time.

A very basic question will be posed: how could they have allowed a man they knew to have a track record as a child abuser, from his days as a seminarian at Clonliffe College in Dublin during the 1970s, go forward for ordination as a priest?

And, having done so, how could they then have allowed such a man be appointed a curate in Ballyfermot, a parish with probably the largest group of altar boys in Ireland?

How could they then too have allowed him responsibility for children’s Masses there?

Church authorities at Clonliffe and in Archbishop’s House at the time are not the only ones likely to experience acute discomfort next week as they head into Christmas.

The Vatican will hardly welcome seven paragraphs in chapter 4 of the Murphy report which deal with the canon law trial of Walsh in Dublin and his laicisation in 1992.

Four of those paragraphs deal with his appeal to Rome where his “sentence” was commuted to a decade in a monastery. During this lengthy appeal process, Walsh abused the child who would lead to his first conviction in the civil courts.

That prompted a rushed visit by the then Catholic archbishop of Dublin Desmond Connell to Rome where he insisted Walsh be laicised.

News yesterday that those parts of the Murphy report concerning Walsh were to be published was widely welcomed.

Maeve Lewis of One in Four said it would “undoubtedly provide further evidence of the culture of secrecy and cover-up which existed in the Dublin archdiocese prior to the appointment of Archbishop Diarmuid Martin”.

Ellen O’Malley Dunlop of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre was “pleased” but also aware, as was Lewis, of “the reminder” it would be for victims of clerical sexual abuse.

Fine Gael’s Charlie Flanagan said publication was “the next vital step in exposing the institutional abuse of children by the Catholic Church”.

© 2010 The Irish Times

Report finds Walsh 'most notorious' child abuser
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing16.html
AOIFE CARR

Fri, Dec 17, 2010

The Murphy Commission has described former priest Tony Walsh, who abused hundreds of children over almost two decades, as the "most notorious child sexual abuser" to come to its attention.

Chapter 19 of the Murphy report dealing with Walsh was published today, having been withheld from publication pending the resolution of court proceedings against him.

His conviction on December 6th paved the way for the publication of the 29 pages of the report referring specifically to him. He was jailed for 16 years, with four suspended, following his conviction of the sexual abuse of three boys from Ballyfermot during the late 1970s to the early 1980s.

The report says that only two days after Walsh’s first appointment to Ballyfermot parish in 1978, a complaint was received at Archbishop’s House that he had sexually abused an eight-year-old boy.

A vicar general, Monsignor Glennon, was asked to investigate the complaint. He accepted Walsh’s denials saying “he impressed me as telling the truth”.

The matter was dropped. The Commission found this complaint was investigated in a “fairly desultory way”.

A second complaint was then made by the mother of a boy who said he was abused by Walsh in 1978 and 1979. Again, no action was taken apart from Fr Michael Cleary, who was also based in Ballyfermot at the time, visiting the boy’s house to educate him on matters of male sexuality.

The Commission found that by March 1985 at least seven priests in the Dublin archdiocese were aware of concerns about Walsh’s behaviour. Monsignor Alex Stenson, then chancellor of the archdiocese, spoke to Walsh a month later.

He “denied nothing” according to Mgr Stenson but agreed to attend a psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist said he was “cautiously optimistic” a re-orientation method of treatment “channelling the drive appropriately” could be successful given the fact Walsh “had not the normal sexual outlets available to him by virtue of his priesthood”.

After a further complaint about Walsh in 1985, he was removed from Ballyfermot and appointed to Westland Row parish.

"My impression was that by moving him to Westland Row he would be in a more restricted situation insofar as he would be resident with a number of other priests," Mgr Stenson told the Commission.

The Commission found that it was difficult to understand how the seriousness of the situation was not appreciated at this stage when the archdiocese was aware of four specific complaints and a number of concerns.

“It is also difficult to conclude that the move was for any purpose other than to avoid further scandal in Ballyfermot,” it said.

The parish priest at Westland Row was not made aware of Walsh’s paedophilia.

In January 1987, the housekeeper at Westland Row said she had found condoms and syringes in Walsh’s room and said a number of boys had slept overnight in his bed. Walsh denied this.

Mgr Stenson again confronted Walsh in May 1988 after more complaints were made about him by parents. He “really opened up for the first time” according to the Monsignor and admitted being “involved” with boys in Ballyfermot over an eight year period. He said he was willing “to do whatever was required”.

In a statement at the time Walsh wrote: “I hate myself because of the hurt I have given to others but I also love myself. I know I have done more good in my 10 years of priesthood than bad”.

In May 1988, 10 years after the first complaint, the archbishop and auxiliary bishops decided to send Walsh for treatment in Stroud.

Therapists there found that “under no circumstances should he have any apostolate involving children” and recommended ongoing counselling.

On his return to Ireland he was appointed to help the chaplain in a hospital for older people. However, he began to resume his inappropriate behaviour. In August 1989, a couple complained that Walsh had abused their son at a fete in All Hallows.

He returned to Stroud where the psychiatrist who treated him said he “had made no real progress” over the four years between 1985 and 1989. He said removing Walsh from the priesthood would not solve the problem and “it might cause more problems”.

He suggested that a middle ground appointment be sought somewhere between a parish ministry and total isolation but with no involvement with children.

In April 1990, Archbishop Connell and Mgr Stenson told Walsh the only options open to him were voluntary laicisation or dismissal. His public ministry was ended but he was allowed to say Mass in private.

It was around this time the possibility of reporting Walsh to the gardaí was raised. This was not done. Instead, Walsh was given leave of absence for a year and sent to live in a rehabilitation centre outside Dublin.

By early 1991, he was back in Dublin, and more complaints began to emerge about him. At a bishops’ meeting in March of that year, it was decided to institute a penal process against him. Again the idea of getting gardaí involved was discussed but not acted on. Walsh was sent to Mellifont Abbey.

A Garda investigation began when a mother of a young boy reported Walsh for attempting to coax her son into his car.

Gardaí contacted Mellifont and were told Walsh was there because there were numerous allegations of paedophilia against him. No attempt was made by gardaí to investigate this.

In September 1991, Walsh was sent to live in the St John of God psychiatric hospital before being sent to a clinic in the UK.

Here, a remarkable tale then emerged according to the Commission. Walsh was allowed to roam the streets of a nearby city unsupervised. He dressed in priests’ robes and said Mass in local churches. He befriended a family with small children and attempted to abuse their 11-year-old son.

He was then sent back to Ireland and Mgr Stenson noted at the time: “The real problem is what do we do now?”

The process to dismiss Walsh from the clerical state began in January 1992, a full year after the decision was made to do so. He fought the process every step of the way. Complaints were received throughout 1992 from parents alleging Walsh befriended their children and behaved inappropriately.

In August 1993, Walsh was dismissed from the priesthood. He appealed that decision to Rome who upheld his appeal saying he should be reinstated provided he enter a monastery for a period of 10 years.

However, no monastery would take him. Archbishop Connell then wrote to the judicial body in Rome appealing their decision “as a matter of urgency".

In November 1995, Garda stations began collating all cases they had concerning Walsh. In 1996, Cardinal Ratzinger confirmed Pope John Paul II was dismissing Walsh from the priesthood. The DPP directed Walsh be tried in relation to six complainants and he was sentenced to six years in jail.

Further complaints about Walsh continued to emerge during the late 1990s and 2000s. He has never accepted that he is no longer a priest and continues to seek ways of appealing against the Vatican's decision.

The Commission found that by the time he was transferred to Westland Row in 1986,there was an “established clear danger to children and yet their welfare simply did not arise for consideration”.

The report said Walsh was "probably the most notorious child abuser to have come to the attention of the Commission".

Its said action should have been taken by the archdiocese at a much earlier stage but the Commission said it recognised that Dr Connell did act decisively once he became Archbishop.

The report said it was “notable” how charitable the parents who complained were, saying they simply wanted to ensure other children were not abused.

It said it was unacceptable that two gardaí who had concerns about Walsh failed to pursue a thorough criminal investigation. It added that the archdiocese should have informed the gardaí of all of its concerns but did not do so.

Theres a lot more in todays Irish Times.

Archdiocese took 17 years to report abuse priest to gardaí
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 37900.html

Sat, Dec 18, 2010

DUBLIN’S CATHOLIC archdiocese did not report child abuse allegations against former priest Tony Walsh to the Garda until 17 years after it first received a complaint.

During that period, Walsh was likely to have abused “hundreds of children”, according to a chapter of the Murphy report published for the first time yesterday.

The report also reveals how a decision by an Irish church tribunal to remove Walsh from the priesthood in 1993 was overturned by the Vatican on appeal.

During this appeals process Walsh abused another child, which led to his being jailed for the first time.

In an observation, also published for the first time yesterday, the Murphy commission said “a major factor” in Rome’s decision to commute Walsh’s dismissal “appears to have been the lack of the imputability by reason of paedophilia”.

The commission found it “a matter of grave concern that, under canon law, a serial child sexual abuser might receive more favourable treatment from the Archdiocese or from Rome by reason of the fact that he was diagnosed as a paedophile”, and as such subject to “urges” beyond his control.

The Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin said last night he did not think “that was a reflection of what canon lawyers think [now]”. In the case of ongoing trials in Dublin, paedophilia “was never offered as a defence”.

He added, however, in the past “most of the Irish bishops felt that dealing with the Congregation for Clergy was disastrous”.

Whereas the laicisation of Tony Walsh by Dublin might have been “appropriate as an exemplary sentence”, he was “not sure laicisation is always the best way”, he continued. It meant, for instance, that “over the years I had no control over Tony Walsh”.

Archbishop Martin, who earlier issued an apology to Walsh’s victims, said that “it was an appalling thing that Walsh was allowed continue for so long.”

The publication yesterday of chapter 19 of the Murphy report followed the imprisonment of Walsh on December 6th for abusing three boys in the 1970s and 1980s. He was sentenced to 16 years, four of which were suspended.

While the first complaint against Walsh was made in 1978, gardaí were first contacted about him in 1991 when a boy’s mother made a complaint. The then chancellor of the Dublin archdiocese Msgr Alex Stenson rang the relevant Garda station seeking details. Asked by a garda whether Walsh had a record, Msgr Stenson “evaded” the question, according to his own notes.

The commission acknowledged that Cardinal Desmond Connell “did act decisively once he became Archbishop” in 1988 where Walsh was concerned.

It was Cardinal Connell who decided to have Walsh laicised “and he pursued this course in spite of the advice and, indeed, interference of his judicial vicar (Msgr Gerard Sheehy) and in spite of the Roman Rota (Appeal Court)”.

The commission also found it “unacceptable” that two gardaí who had concerns about Walsh in 1990 and 1992 “failed to pursue a thorough criminal investigation”. A criminal investigation “of sorts” got under way in 1991 but “was effectively shelved because the Church was carrying out its own penal process”, it said. The archdiocese finally contacted the Garda over complaints about Walsh in May 1995.

Full text at link.

Support groups report rise in calls
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 16260.html
KITTY HOLLAND, PATSY McGARRY and PADDY AGNEW in Rome

Mon, Dec 20, 2010

ORGANISATIONS SUPPORTING victims of childhood sexual abuse have reported a high volume of calls for help over the weekend, following publication of the Murphy report chapter about paedophile former priest Tony Walsh.

Publication of the chapter was approved after Walsh, who was previously jailed for sexually abusing six boys, was sentenced to 16 years for abusing a further three victims.

In Rome, the Holy See yesterday had no wish to comment on the previously redacted Murphy Report chapter. Senior Vatican spokesman Fr Federico Lombardi said: “I have nothing to add to the comments made by the Archbishop of Dublin . . .”

Labour education spokesman Ruairí Quinn has renewed his call for the congregations to hand over the title deeds of their schools while maintaining patronage.

This follows confirmation he received in a parliamentary reply that Irish religious congregations have handed over just €20 million of the €348 million promised last year following publication of the Ryan report. In addition, more than €26 million remains outstanding from the original indemnity deal done with the orders in 2002.

In Ballyfermot, where many of Walsh’s victims were abused, Archbishop of Dublin Dr Diarmuid Martin spoke on December 12th in advance of the publication of chapter 19 and apologised to the people of the parish.

One of the organisations supporting victims of abuse, the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, said there had been a “steady flow” of calls not just from victims of abuse but from the family members and friends of victims.

Chief executive Ellen O’Malley Dunlop said “some of the most harrowing calls actually have been from parents of victims who didn’t believe their children when they told them they had been abused.

“These parents are absolutely heartbroken.” In some of those cases “their children have taken their own lives”.

Maeve Lewis, director of the One in Four organisation, said there had been “a big increase” in calls on Friday. Ms Lewis said “a lot of people calling were very upset and distressed and angry”. The telephone counselling service Connect was open over the weekend and experienced an increase in calls.

More stories in todays Irish Times.

Questions remain as eyes turn to two serving bishops and canon lawyers
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 16279.html

Mon, Dec 20, 2010

ANALYSIS: Chapter 19 reveals that by March 1985, seven priests were aware of concerns about Walsh

TWO SERVING bishops have familiar questions to answer following publication last Friday of parts of the Murphy report which dealt with former priest Tony Walsh. They are Bishop of Dromore John McAreavey and Auxiliary Bishop Éamonn Walsh.

Bishop McAreavey, who as a canon lawyer sat on the tribunal which defrocked Tony Walsh in 1993, has remained silent since chapter 19 and relevant sections of chapter 4 of the Murphy report were published last Friday. He has yet to explain why he made no effort to report Walsh’s known criminal behaviour to the gardaí then or afterwards.

Others who served on the tribunal with him from January 1992 were the recently retired Bishop of Killaloe Willie Walsh and the late Fr Paddy Corcoran.

All were canon lawyers.

Chapter 19 reveals that “by March 1985, at least seven priests of the Archdiocese were aware of concerns about Fr Jovito’s (Walsh’s) behaviour. At the request of Archbishop McNamara, (Chancellor) Monsignor (Alex) Stenson spoke to these priests”.

Did one of those “seven priests” include Bishop Éamonn Walsh?

He was dean at Clonliffe College (from 1977) when Tony Walsh was ordained from there in 1978. In the following decade Tony Walsh would admit abusing children while a seminarian there.

In 1985 Éamonn Walsh became secretary to the then archbishop of Dublin, Kevin McNamara. In March 1987 the archdiocese took out insurance against any possible future claims from victims of clerical child sex abuse. As the Murphy report puts it: “At this time, the archdiocese had knowledge of approximately 20 priests against whom allegations of child sexual abuse had been made, or about whom there were suspicions or concerns.”

In 1988 Msgr Desmond Connell became archbishop of Dublin. In April 1990 Éamonn Walsh became an auxiliary bishop of Dublin. In August 1990, to his great credit, he suggested at a meeting of the Dublin bishops that they should inform “the civil authorities” about Tony Walsh’s criminal activities, then known to the archdiocese for 12 years.

This was shot down.

In chapter 19 of the Murphy report, describing that meeting, former chancellor of the archdiocese Msgr Gerard Sheehy (deceased) wrote: “Bishop (Éamonn) Walsh made the outrageous suggestion that the Archbishop should inform the civil authorities about Fr (Jovito’s) homosexual orientation.”

Chapter 19 continues that “Bishop (Éamonn) Walsh told the Commission that his concern related to Fr Jovito’s paedophile orientation and not his sexuality in general.”

Recalling that August 1990 meeting last December, following publication of the Murphy report, Bishop Éamonn Walsh told this reporter: “ . . . as far back as 1990, I wasn’t a month in the job as a bishop, and I stood up at a meeting and I said that not alone should the police, who were already informed about an individual . . . but we should say where he was living and the number of his car, because I felt he was a danger”.

Still, it would be five more years before authorities in the archdiocese told gardaí about Tony Walsh’s activities (1995).

Also in attendance at that August 1990 bishops’ meeting were Archbishop Connell (retired), Bishop James Kavanagh (deceased), Bishop Dermot O’Mahony (retired), and Bishop Donal Murray (resigned).

Bishop Éamonn Walsh was appointed apostolic administrator of Ferns diocese in April 2002 on the resignation of Bishop Brendan Comiskey. He promised full co-operation with the statutory Ferns inquiry, which investigated the handling of clerical child sex abuse allegations there by church and State authorities. In the subsequent Ferns report he was praised for his co-operation.

However, it emerged later that, as it was completing its work, that Ferns inquiry came close to collapse in September 2005 when it was discovered that documents concerning allegations of abuse against 10 priests in Ferns diocesan personnel files had not been passed to it.

In July 2005, a woman approached One in Four with allegations concerning two Ferns priests the inquiry was investigating. The inquiry team was not aware of these allegations. They contacted the diocesan authorities, who supplied relevant files. It was then agreed that a trawl of all personnel files at the diocese was necessary. This uncovered documents concerning allegations against eight additional priests of which the inquiry was unaware.

At this point the Ferns inquiry team, chaired by former Supreme Court Justice Frank Murphy, considered bringing the investigation to an end, though a draft report had been completed.

It would have meant beginning all over again.

A special plenary hearing of the inquiry took place on September 2nd, 2005, to consider the situation. Bishop Walsh vigorously protested that an error in good faith had been made.

The inquiry team decided that omission of the new documents “was due to a regrettable error . . .”. It found that newly discovered documents relating to three priests did not come within its terms of reference and it did not fully investigate documents relating to the remaining five.

Bishop Éamonn Walsh is both a canon lawyer and a barrister at law. He has some clarifying to do.

Please could one of the mods add an 'e' to 'Churchs' to make 'Churches' in the title of this thread?
It gets me going every time I see it, sorry.

Thanks. :)

...pretty please...?

Aaaaarghghh!!!

:lol:

The son of Hitler's secretary and one time next in line, Martin Bormann, became an RC priest, in Austria. Now, a former pupil is making allegations of violence and serious sexual assault against him.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...es-accusations-of-sexual-assault-2175193.html

Son of Hitler's deputy faces accusations of sexual assault

Independent online. By Tony Patterson in Berlin. 04/01/2011

The eldest son of Adolf Hitler's secretary, Martin Bormann, was yesterday accused of subjecting a former pupil at an Austrian Catholic boarding school to violent and protracted sexual abuse during his time there working as a priest and schoolmaster, more than 50 years ago.

Martin Bormann Jnr, the 80-year-old son of one of the Nazi leader's most important deputies, is renowned in Germany and Austria for his attempts to atone for his father's crimes. He has been a Catholic missionary, priest and a speaker against the Holocaust in schools.

Yesterday, however, the son of one Hitler's closest advisers faced serious allegations that he had assaulted pupils both violently and sexually while employed as a schoolmaster at an elite boarding school at the Hearts of Jesus monastery in Salzburg during the 1960s. Bormann is reported to have denied knowledge of the events.

The accusations, which were the latest in a flood of sex-abuse allegations against the Catholic church which began surfacing in Germany and Austria early last year, were made by a 63-year-old former pupil at the monastery school, named only as Victor M.

You simply couldn't make some of this stuff up. :gaga:

Vatican edict in 1997 rejected calls to report priests who abused
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 80501.html

Mon, Jan 17, 2011

A 1997 VATICAN directive rejected a recommendation by the Irish Catholic Church that priests who abused children should be reported to the civil authorities, it has emerged.

The disclosure is made in an RTÉ documentary to be broadcast tonight, which also reports that an Irish bishop described the Vatican directive as “a mandate . . . to conceal the reported crimes of a priest”.

The Would You Believe documentary, Unspeakable Crimes , is broadcast on RTÉ One television at 10.35pm.

In a January 1997 letter to each Irish bishop, marked “strictly confidential”, the Vatican said it would support the appeal of any priest defrocked by the Irish church in connection with child sex abuse. It did so in a number of cases, leading to a threat of resignation by one Irish archbishop.

At a 1999 meeting in Rome the Irish hierarchy was reminded collectively by a top Vatican official that they were “bishops first, not policemen”.

The programme claims the Vatican and Pope Benedict himself failed to apply the norms of canon law to the issue of child abuse, one of the pope’s major criticisms of Ireland’s bishops. The Vatican failed to do so where two US priests were concerned and the pope did so in 2005 where Fr Marcial Maciel, founder of the Legionaries of Christ, was concerned.

In his letter to the Catholics of Ireland last March, Pope Benedict said to his “brother bishops’’ that “you and your predecessors failed, at times grievously, to apply the long-established norms of canon law to the crime of child abuse”.

The Vatican opposed a recommendation in the Irish Bishops’ “Green Book” guidelines on child protection, published in January 1996, which said all allegations of clerical child sex abuse should be reported to the civil authorities.

The programme, by reporter Mick Peelo, also shows a “strictly confidential” letter sent to Irish bishops by the Vatican a year later, in January 1997, which expressed “serious reservations of a canonical and moral nature” about the mandatory reporting of such crimes to civil authorities.

An Irish bishop confirmed to the programme, on condition of anonymity, that he made a note at the time describing this letter as “a mandate to conceal the crimes of a priest”.

The programme also reports that at a 1998 meeting with Cardinal Castrillón Hoyos, prefect of the Congregation for Clergy (1996 until 2006), then archbishop of Dublin Desmond Connell thumped a table in frustration as the cardinal insisted it was Vatican policy to defend the rights of an accused priest above all.

Last month, Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin said that, in the past “most of the Irish bishops felt that dealing with the Congregation for Clergy was disastrous”.

Forgiveness sought for 'sins' of clergy
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 28797.html

Mon, Feb 21, 2011

THE CATHOLIC Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin and the Cardinal Archbishop of Boston Seán O’Malley yesterday washed the feet of a representative number of victims of clerical child sex abuse in “an act of humble service” at Dublin’s Pro-Cathedral.

At the beginning of a moving 90-minute liturgy “of lament and repentance”, prepared in the main by abuse victims themselves, Archbishop Martin and Cardinal O’Malley both prostrated themselves in silent prayer before the altar which was dominated by a large, bare, wooden cross, symbolising the cross of Jesus Christ.

Most of the readings, which included excerpts from the Ryan and Murphy reports, were by victims or relatives of abuse victims. A woman victim read from Matthew’s gospel about Jesus and children, and his words that “anyone who is the downfall of one of these little ones . . . would be better drowned in the depths of the sea.”

Among the eight people who had their feet washed were Marie Collins, abused as a child by Fr Paul McGenis, Darren McGavin whose abuse led to former priest Fr Tony Walsh being sentenced to 16 years imprisonment last December, and Christine Buckley who was abused in Dublin’s Goldenbridge orphanage.

Archbishop Martin asked God’s forgiveness “for the sins of bishops and religious superiors, when they failed to respond as good shepherds to victims of abuse by priests and religious.”

He sought forgiveness too “for indifference in the face of human suffering, for putting the institutional Church before the safety of children, for covering up crimes of abuse, and by so doing actually causing the sexual abuse of more children.” He asked God’s forgiveness “for the deaf ear, the blind eye and the hard of heart.”

Cardinal O’Malley, who is leading the apostolic visitation to Dublin sent by Pope Benedict,said “we confess that we are guilty and our sins fill us with dismay.” He also said “on behalf of the Holy Father, I ask forgiveness for the sexual abuse of children perpetrated by priests and the past failures of the Churchs hierarchy, here and in Rome . . . to respond appropriately to the problem of sexual abuse”.

Archbishop Martin said “no one, no one who shared any responsibility for what happened in . . . this archdiocese can ask forgiveness of these who were abused without first recognising the injustice done and their own failure for what took place.”

He said “I, as Archbishop of Dublin . . . ask forgiveness of God and I ask from each of you for the first steps of forgiveness from the victims of abuse.”

He expressed “immense gratitude” to those men and women who, “despite the hurt it cost them . . . had the courage to speak out, to speak out, to speak out and to speak out again and again, courageously and with determination even in the face of unbelief and rejection.” All victims were indebted to them, he said, as was “the Church in Dublin and worldwide and everyone here today.”

He apologised “in my own name” for “the insensitivity and even hurtful and nasty reactions that you have encountered. I appeal to you to continue to speak out. There is still a long path to journey in honesty before we can truly merit forgiveness.”

At the end of the liturgy a “Candle of Protection” was blessed by Archbishop Martin and lit from the Paschal Candle before it was carried in procession to nearby St Joseph’s altar.

Two victims made unplanned contributions at the service. Interrupting the liturgy, Robert Dempsey presented Archbishop Martin with documents alleging continued abuse by civil authorities while, doing likewise, Christopher Heaphy spoke of his savage treatment in an institution as a five-year-old.

Abuse victims protest at service
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 28759.html
PATSY McGARRY

Mon, Feb 21, 2011

YESTERDAY’S LITURGY of lament and repentance in Dublin’s Pro-Cathedral had its origin in a letter to The Irish Times on June 19th, 2009, following publication of the Ryan report the previous month.

Signed by 22 Catholics of the Dublin archdiocese, including three priests, its sentiments were repeated in a letter published in this newspaper on December 1st, 2009, following publication of the Murphy report in November. It was signed by the same 22 people.

The Ryan report dealt with the abuse and neglect of children in institutions from the 1930s to the 1970s, while the Murphy report concerned the handling of child sexual abuse cases involving priests of the Dublin archdiocese.

Among the signatories to both letters were abuse survivor Fr Paddy McCafferty and Catholic activist Paddy Monaghan who, along with survivor Marie Collins, set about preparing a liturgy in consultation with survivor groups. The liturgy content was agreed with the archdiocese in February 2010 which suggested excerpts from the two reports be included.

After the service yesterday, Ms Collins said church authorities had asked for forgiveness for covering up the abuse of children. This was “something that has not happened before”, she said.

Among a small group of protesters outside as the service took place was well-known survivor Paddy Doyle who described the liturgy as “a stunt”. It was “getting to the stage where apologies are becoming cliches”, he said. Survivor Mary Smith said she “cannot forgive them”. She recalled how a parish priest put her mother in a Magdalen home while pregnant with her and how her own life had been a series of industrial schools and a Magdalen home.

Michael O’Brien of the Right to Peace group said the Catholic bishops, who had met him and other members of a committee of survivors three times, had been refusing to do so recently.

Back