• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Circular Patterns In Frozen Lake (Shuswap Lake; British Columbia)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This BC news item from a year ago describes ice circles of a different kind. They're circular patterns within a completely frozen lake surface rather than free-floating circular ice masses in rivers or streams.
Strange Shuswap Lake ice circles prompt questions
They are not crop circles, since they have appeared on Shuswap Lake, rather than in a farm field.

But just what are these circular formations on Shuswap Lake?

Grace Edwards spotted the designs on Sunday, March 4 between Herald Park and Wittner Road in Tappen and stopped to take photos.

When she checked the next day, Monday, March 5, the designs had been covered with snow and were no longer visible.

While there was some speculation the circles may have been made by snowmobiles, there was no other obvious indicators of motorized track on the ice. This left Edwards unsure of just what made the circular designs and she is wondering if anyone might know. ...

shuwap-circles-1.jpg

SOURCE: https://www.saobserver.net/news/strange-shuswap-lake-ice-circles-prompt-questions/

Now here's the follow-up story from days later ... A local resident was conducting a meditation exercise in the hopes of psychically contacting extraterrestrials the night before these ice patterns were discovered and photographed.

(Cue the theremin ...)
Sicamous site of attempt to contact aliens
Dan Berg described the series of events that led him to hear about the rings on the Shuswap Lake ice spotted and photographed by a Sunnybrae resident as a synchronicity — a fateful coincidence.

It was not so much the circles themselves, but what he was doing the evening of March 3, the night before they were discovered, that got Berg’s attention. He was attempting to contact visitors from other planets.

Along with another man he met online in the forums of the Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI) website, Berg conducted a Close Encounter of the Fifth Kind (CE-5) protocol. They chose the beach near the Old Town Bay Marina in Sicamous as a location because Berg lives in Revelstoke and his fellow extraterrestrial seeker is from Salmon Arm. ...

After completing the meditation and scanning the foggy sky for signs of life until about 11:30 p.m., Berg and his companion left, thinking it had been an unsuccessful excursion.

Days later, a coworker who was aware of his interest in extraterrestrial visitors showed him a picture of the ice circles which was originally provided to the Salmon Arm Observer and then shared with the Revelstoke Review.

“I think it was kind of cool and kind of ironic that something as strange as those circles that no one has ever seen before showed up the night that we were out here,” Berg said. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.saobserver.net/news/sicamous-site-of-attempt-to-contact-extraterrestrials/

Young punks riding around the ice on motorbikes.

The article indicates motorized vehicles - particularly snowmobiles - were considered as a possible explanation, but no tracks supporting this theory were found.

On the other hand ... It's not clear who arrived at this conclusion, nor how closely they examined the ice surface to arrive at it.

On the other hand ... It's not clear who arrived at this conclusion, nor how closely they examined the ice surface to arrive at it.

Unless there was more snow cover, I wouldn't find it satisfying enough to do. Even when I was a teen life would not have been boring enough.

Do we have dimensions? I can't see this being two wheeled bikes!

... Do we have dimensions? I can't see this being two wheeled bikes!

No - at least not in the one article I found on the incident. There were multiple photos, but they were all taken from the same relative position overlooking the lake.

Back