• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: Pani(ic) In The Woods

Re: ENOUGH WITH THE FAIRIES ALREADY!!!

baracine said:
Isn't anybody going to corroborate the very natural, common and rational explanation of telephone/electrical wires vibrating in the noonday sun in summer, which I witnessed firsthand several times as a kid? Anyone?

This is especially noticeable in fog and wet weather - I've heard it myself from a pylon on the estate where I work.

Re: ENOUGH WITH THE FAIRIES ALREADY!!!

baracine said:
Isn't anybody going to corroborate the very natural, common and rational explanation of telephone/electrical wires vibrating in the noonday sun in summer, which I witnessed firsthand several times as a kid? Anyone?

I live very near some cables and it's not a noise you'd mistake for anything else. It sounds, well, electric, doesn't it?

The noise...

Not at all. It happens in summer, on dry, hot, sunny days. It sounds like a million crickets or rattles going crazy with a very rapid crescendo coming out of nowhere, a sustained ear-deafening plateau followed by an abrupt stop or very rapid decrescendo.

…a couple of years back the govt. was proposing to make woodlands a little bit less foreboding… it's proof that "pan(ic)" is a commonly-held concept among the British public… - wolfie

I was walking in some nearby(to my house)woods, and all of a sudden started to feel strange, a dreadful feeling overcame me and the buzzing sound got louder and louder until I seemed to black out. - eccentric

To help by excluding… Michigan, US is full of forests and fields and I’ve never heard of the “buzzing” or “PANic” here. I have been disappointed that Michigan’s woods don’t have a supernatural reputation, even though we have enough wildlands to make any supernatural creature perfectly happy. We are obviously lacking some draw. We do have overhead power lines and insects. Still, no panic associated with buzzing.

It is interesting that Eccentric experienced the “buzzing” in Appalacia. The Appalacian mountain range does have a reputation for being “haunted”. UFO’s, Lovecraftian creatures, mystery lights. The British Isles seem to have a similar reputation? (I read Janet Bord's "Real Encounters with Little People" she made it sound as though strange sightings have been documented there into the 20th century). Where is the connection? Geological similarities, elevation, gasses that cause mass hallucinations, elemental spirits/gods, underground caverns where stunted races of the Dero dwell with strange technology used to torture the surface dwellers.

… maybe I’ve said too much. :eek: I hope this helps. :)

Here in New Jersey, we have ghosts, U.F.O's, strange lights, the Jackson Melonheads, strange kangaroo-like creatures, peculiar artifacts, lizard men, and of course, the New Jersey Devil. The southern half of the state has a Humid Subtropical climate; the northern half is in the Humid Continental climatic zone. The northern half is primarily urban and industrial, while the south is more rural and forested. Both parts have much strangeness to offer, though I have yet to hear or read of any cases of Pan(ic) attacks or encounters with strange buzzing sounds. Neighboring parts of New York State and Pennsylvania also have a eerie ambience to them with much paranormal potential.

The Marine West Coast climate of the Appalachian highlands and the British Isles isn't the only one to feature strange phenomena.

Re: The noise...

baracine said:
Not at all. It happens in summer, on dry, hot, sunny days. It sounds like a million crickets or rattles going crazy with a very rapid crescendo coming out of nowhere, a sustained ear-deafening plateau followed by an abrupt stop or very rapid decrescendo.

Never heard that at all...maybe it wasn't the pylons doing it after all...?

The Marine West Coast climate of the Appalachian highlands and the British Isles isn't the only one to feature strange phenomena. - Bannik

Yes, you’re right Bannik. I have a large map on the wall near my computer. As I swept my hand up the Appalacian mountain range, I was including most of the eastern region in my thoughts (wrongly). Everything from the Mothman to the Jersey Devil to the Kelly Green Men to the Skunk Ape. It’s not so much that paranormal events don’t happen other places, it’s the concentration of events and level of belief in the eastern portion of the US. New Jersey definitely included. There is the real sense of living with it, a kind of fear, or cautiousness, or spookiness that we don’t have in Michigan. We have a lot of UFO sightings here, from a distance, but not the humanoid or strange creature sightings, and nothing that would lead to fear in the woods.

It’s that fear and cautiousness that I noted in Janet Bord’s book as well. These weren’t tinkerbell she was talking about, but strangely behaving short people who come out of the ground at twilight and scare the living crap out of people. There was that sense of living with strange events and a strong belief in the reality of them. Even though that reality doesn’t jibe with what we’re taught in school.

For me that says there must be something to it all, but what I don’t know. The buzzing with PANic is very interesting. My husband said that maybe it’s because people in Brittain aren’t used to woods the way we know them so there’s more fear caused by natural noises and feelings of isolation. But that doesn’t explain Eccentric’s experience. And unease is very different from real fear.

Bannik said:
There was a type of creature in the movie Flight of Dragons that made a sort of insect buzzing sound that drove anyone who heard it to panic and, eventually, insanity unless they could resist focusing on it.

Sand Mirks! :blah:

Thanks. I kept wanting to call them Sleestak, but I know they were those creatures from Land of the Lost who also made some freaky buzzing sound, but they lived in caves.

I just can't let this go. Long live Pan.

I was looking for any references to black eyed children and found this on Castle of Spirits, one of my favorite ghost story sites. It's a long story, so I'll break it down.

December 1959. Two men in Costa Rica decide to camp out on an isolated beach in a National Forest area. Around midnight, while they're sitting around the camp fire, an old army WWII truck pulls up. Disappointed that they no longer have the beach to themselves they watch to see who it belongs to. A man jumps out, opens the back, and one by one, children come out, about 25 in all. All the children look pretty much the same, thin with rather large heads. The man says something, the children surround him and begin to dance and chant in high and even low bass voices. One of the campers asks them what they're doing. The children stop and shriek in a way to make your hair stand on end, putting themselves between the campers and the male truck driver. Freaked out, the campers decide to pack up and head out. When they look again, the truck driver is lying down as if dead and the children's eyes are glowing dimly green. At that moment the two campers feel a hum in their ears that starts to get louder. Suddenly terrified, they run on foot to get away. The hum in their ears lessens as they run but continues as an after effect for about a week and a half.

http://www.castleofspirits.com/justlittle.html

I was looking for any references to black eyed children and found this on Castle of Spirits, one of my favorite ghost story sites. It's a long story, so I'll break it down.
Good find. Neat how looking for one Fortean thing can lead you to another isn't it?

Spooky woods

I think I've related this story before, but it seems to fit here also. So, without further ado;

Several years ago - mid to late 80's - I was living on a farm in Northern Middle Tennessee. I used to go hunting on a regular basis and that's what I was doing this particular evening.

As I was making a last little trip before it was dark, I went down a path with a steep hill to my right. Suddenly, I felt very odd, like someone - or something was coming at me. At this same time, my dogs started growling and staring up the hill.

Now, keep in mind that one of my dogs was a wolf-mix and better than a hundred pounds.

I looked up to where they were staring and I can only describe it as a dark cloudy/inky wall that was rolling towards me.

Whatever it was felt Evil (you'll notice the capital "E") like Rage and Anger and Hatred all writhing and rolling towards me.

At this point my half dozen dogs took of running away! I decided to follow - shotgun and all. I ran better than a quarter mile without stopping or looking behind me! I could feel the entity chasing me, but it stopped after about half that distance or so, but I ran all the way home, just to be on the safe side.

I can't stop thinking of your story, Shane, especially the fact that your dogs reacted to it. What do you think it was?

The stories with corroboration from animals always excite me the most as you won't get Dr Susan Blackmore talking about 'hysteria' or 'folie a deux' etc which just oversimplifies the phenomena and patronises the witness/es.

Have you tried taking the dogs back to the same spot to see if they remember, or if they feel anything else(though now I come to think of it it might be hard to tell which!)?

Did you notice it before, or after, the dogs noticed something?

Middle tennessee eh? I am in the same state,I have another post in the "inky black" thread you may find interesting dealing with black cloud-like entities I have seen here. I have talked to other people in this area who have had similar experiences. Your description is very familiar to me as I have seen the same type of thing
a number of times, and always felt a presence of something "evil".

As for power lines in the area where my "buzzing" experience happend,there were none at that time,it was a wooded,undeveloped area that I would often"shortcut"through. there were deer and other wildlife ,but no houses.

I have been reading over the past "few" pages...

Maybe the feeling of panic in wooded areas or "natural" areas are due to the higher vibration in the area...

In this day and age most people live in built up areas and so are disconnected from the Earth. It would make sense to me in that case that people have strange experiences when surrounding by nature that could have been there for hundreds if not thousands of years. Every living thing (including rock/crystal in my view) is surrounded by its own energy - I'm sure you've all heard how hugging trees makes you feel better! Well then the tree's would surely "do" something to your own energy, which you may find a little unnerving.

I have had this feeling of panic and a sort of eery feeling that I couldn't explain even in wooded areas near my house and ones that I have known really well? Maybe it's the trees talking to eachother - a little part of your being must acknowledge their speech in some way???

Or do I just have an over active imagination?!!!

:confused: :gaga:

Bannik, I probably didn't read your entry! There was quite a few pages to read! Sorry!

I also get the same feeling! If you ever have Reiki it gives you the same sort of feeling of being connected back to the universe!

welcome

Lobelia said:
Bannik, I probably didn't read your entry! There was quite a few pages to read! Sorry!
Don't worry. That was from a different thread. Just though you might find it interesting. Welcome, by the way, if you're new to this board.

Bannik - I am new to the board, so thank you! Although I have been reading it for a while now I have just decided to add my views!

Two posters with a very similar name... that could get confusing at first :err:

Lobelia said:
I also get the same feeling! If you ever have Reiki it gives you the same sort of feeling of being connected back to the universe!

Hmm. My mum's a Reiki Master (I'm an openminded sceptic) and I have to say I never felt anything from Reiki, and definitely not being connected to the universe!

I always get the feeling I'm doing it wrong. I did fall asleep once when receiving Reiki.....

Way off topic here and of no relevance but while researching the medicinal effects of plants and herbs I discovered that Lobelia contains a chemical called Lobeline which is used in the treatment of amphetamine addiction. Apparently the flowers are nice as well.

Si Fuller said:
I became aware of a shrill buzzing that quickly increased until it was intensely loud, then it cut out abruptly, and I found myself falling backward. I didn't feel any sense of panic, and I haven't experienced anything like that before or since.
I

This sounds like you briefly lost consciousness, the buzzing is pretty common. You also get pinhole vision and "fizzy" outlines on objects.

Always feel at peace in the woods, have once or twice "known" that something was watching me but no problem, maybe you shuold all go for a walk in the woods at night like I do. Don't worry theres nothing there thats not there during the day.

Although I cannot recall one specific experience, when I read this thread I had a real sense of familiarity. I'm sure I've experienced something like the increased insect noise and feeling of panic. It rings a bell, anyway.

Fancy it being a recognised phenomenon and not just something odd that happens to me. You learn something new every day...

I have a friend who can do reiki, btw, and she tried it on me and it did nothing at all. :(

Not trying to create a Zombie thread, just haven't been here in a while. Sorry its taken me so long to respond.

The woods that I grew up in were. . .haunted? I'm not sure that thats the right word, as haunted suggests Ghosts or Spirits. There was something. . .or several somethings that. . .lived? visited? dwelled? there.

At times I would go visit my grandparents who lived on the far side of the property (roughly 100 acres - rolling hills - woods) late at night in the pitch black and never think a thing about it.

Other times, with a full moon and lots of stars. You just new not to go outside. It was like something spoke to you on some subconcious level and said "No, not tonight."

Even in broad daylight the farther areas could be quite unsettling.

The dogs knew. Sometimes they were okay with that area, other times they didn't want to leave the porch.

Unfortunantly, my Grandmother sold the property several years ago. Now that I know more of the Supernatural, I'd love to go back and check on some things.

Back