• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: Raggedly Ann

There seems to be some kind of phenomenon with people being protected from all sorts of weird things by stuffed animals or animal statues. (Like Ath's story, and Fallen Angel's post about BooKitty earlier in this thread.)

Kind of odd that we're seemingly scared by human-like toys, but feel safer with animal-like toys nearby (Especially plush predators!). Seems like it's the opposite of what it should be. :confused: Wouldn't it make more sense to be protected by human images, and fear predatory animal images?

Hm...

Good question. In my case it's because I saw humans as generally less powerful than beasts and so they wouldn't be of any protection.

That "My Buddy" doll always reminded me of Chucky.:eek!!!!:

Yeah, now that you mention that I remember thinking that while watching the movie. Child's Play just always scared the hell out of me. Living dolls are so creepy.

Hiya!
WonderWoman's story about the little things attacking her and her bro/sis (can't remember) reminded me of an episode of Noel's House Party (BBC 1) back in the early '90s. One part of the show was set in someone random's home, and they briefly chatted with the owners. Noel took the piss out of the 30ish year old mum coz she claimed to be plagued by a tiny dwarf-like thing that attacked her ankles and tormented her. She was clearly embarrassed and didn't like the issue being raised.
Maybe it was a similar thing to WonderWoman's?

Also, my own dislike of clowns I think is more related to Stephen King's 'It'.

Another thing, with the use of baby monitors so common these days, I wonder if anyone has heard their babies doing odd things or acting in weird ways when alone.

Interesting thread, anyway.:)

The Bombardier said:
Another thing, with the use of baby monitors so common these days, I wonder if anyone has heard their babies doing odd things or acting in weird ways when alone.

Interesting thread, anyway.:)
Or perhaps reciting the complete sonnets of Shakespeare. Or maybe acting out scenes when there are a couple of them.

anome said:
Or perhaps reciting the complete sonnets of Shakespeare. Or maybe acting out scenes when there are a couple of them.

Well, maybe. I guess you were a really smart kid :blah:

But I was thinking more along the lines of a few accounts I've heard of parents hearing their kids talking to people when they're alone in the room etc etc. (I don't know what age you stop using the things, so chances are there was a younger baby in the room)

"To die, to sleep; To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub. For in that sleep of death what dreams may come..." is a little beyond the kids that I know. But you might be right.

:snore:

I was thinking of pre-verbal children. Which would make it a bit weirder.

I have also had a strange experience when my daughter slept in our room when she was a baby. For a few nights in a row, her giggling woke me up.. She was barely one year old and it sounded like she was being tickled. I looked at her and her eyes were wide open and she looked at something above her. It really scared me because it would go on for minutes until I could stand it no longer and took her out of her cot and held her until she fell asleep again. It kept me up all night just thinking about what it could be..

When she was a little older she spoke about Batman coming in to her room and scaring her.. he had red eyes she said but was completely black with pointy ears..just like batman.

I just came in to check my email, and what did I find?

Escargot! I downloaded your image and when I clicked the back button this page when all crazy jumping up and down and I couldn't stop it! Tickling virus, or just a coincidence?:confused:

:rofl:
stop it

I'm in hysterics as it is!

I have an insanely-lifelike, anatomically-correct, absolutely beautiful Japanese doll called the Super Dollfie by a company called "VOLKS".

Now, these dolls are quite lovely (very pricy, but oh well), but you can remove it's hair, open the top of it's head and change it's eyes, etc...

So I wake up one day and both eyes are pushed in >_<;;
It was...really creepy, though I think I did it myself -_-;

I remember once I was at the circus or something and as we were walking to it there was a big doll they were selling. I swore at the time that the doll put its leg out as if to trip me. I told my mom and she said it was probably somebody playing a joke. I wonder....

Re: Dolls hearts

Mummy said:
If you buy a stuffed toy from The Bear Factory, you choose a skin, growl/miaow/record your own message etc, and when they've stuffed it and are sewing it up, the assistants take a small red satin heart, and place it in the toy.

Creepy? Cute? In the eye of the beholder I guess :miaow:

I've got one of them! my niece [Dimple Overhill] gave me it for Christmas, she recorded a "merry Christmas Auntie Lobelia, love Dimple" message. It's dressed in a kilt :cross eye which is the only thing I don't like about it. D'Mother hates it, says it's got an evil face (pot, "kettle, you're black"). P'raps I'll creep into her room one night and leave him sitting on the foot of her bed ... ?

Give her a REALLY good look at the doll. Crush it into her face when she's asleep.

Erm, that wasn't me, it was the ventriloquist's dummy in the corner! :eek!!!!:

escargot said:
Give her a REALLY good look at the doll. Crush it into her face when she's asleep.

Now what did the poor soul do to deserve that?

I speak of the teddy, of course

Yes Lobeen, have you ever seen the film "Gaslight"? Have da mammy find the bear all over the house; he could be reading the paper in the morning, looking at her over the breakfast table, lying next to her in bed, just staring at her while she sleeps :madeyes: And for the final piece de resistance, if you can bear to remove the head...perhaps accompanied by tiny scraps of tartan leading to the headless corpse...:monster: We'll soon have her in the home. :p

beakboo said:
Yes Lobeen, have you ever seen the film "Gaslight"? Have da mammy find the bear all over the house; he could be reading the paper in the morning, looking at her over the breakfast table, lying next to her in bed, just staring at her while she sleeps :madeyes: And for the final piece de resistance, if you can bear to remove the head...perhaps accompanied by tiny scraps of tartan leading to the headless corpse...:monster: We'll soon have her in the home. :p

oh dear gawd no!! I couldn't do that to the poor thingeen!

yes, the bear ...

hmm, how many prominent places are there that he could be left to sit ... ?

When I was little my parents used to threaten to hide a Chucky doll under my bed.:D

Rinoa said:
I have an insanely-lifelike, anatomically-correct, absolutely beautiful Japanese doll called the Super Dollfie by a company called "VOLKS".

Now, these dolls are quite lovely (very pricy, but oh well), but you can remove it's hair, open the top of it's head and change it's eyes, etc...

So I wake up one day and both eyes are pushed in >_<;;
It was...really creepy, though I think I did it myself -_-;

I have an SD, too. :)
The eyes tend to mess up if you're playing with the string inside. I've tightened the elastic in mine, then turned her around to find her cross-eyed...

Really?! :D Someone else has an SD besides me, YAY!
(I've gots Mini SD Myu. She's a cutie.)

I figured out the eyes messed up because one of my old but very big stuffed animals fell on her XD;; (she's in her box next to my bed, so it'd be easy for something like that to fall on her ^^;; )

Hello this is my 1st post but I've been lurking hear for a while. When my Fiance was little he had a ventriloquists dummy called Jimmy, which was really creepy. When his brother was naughty or had a tantrum his Dad used to threaten to lock him under the stairs with Jimmy. More often than not this would cause his brother to scream uncontrolably in fear. Some parents are cruel aint they?

Hi, my first post too!

Years ago, my mother was cleaning out a cupboard and she found one of her old plastic dolls, which had lost it's head. She showed it to my sister, who was about 4 at the time. As soon as my sister saw it, she screamed hysterically.

My Mam and Dad thought it was so funny, they showed her it again!

You're right, parents can be so cruel!

I am no parent, but I am cruel. Not too long ago, I used to threaten my brother with the MY BUDDY doll! Whenever he got out of line, I would grab the MY BUDDY doll from the closet and put it on his bed and I would tell the DOLL to watch him. My brother was traumatized!
To this day, he tells all his friends about how I used to torture him with that doll.
Ah...the good ole days!

WW

I caught a Seinfeld rerun the other day in which George's doomed fiancee Susan moves her doll collection into his/their apartment, and one looks uncannily like George's mother. He starts hearing her nagging voice in her head and talks back to it. Then his father starts hearing it too. (hilarity ensues and all that)

Dolls creep me out. Always have, always will. I was visting my aunt once for the first in over five year. I walk in the house and the first thing I saw were three extremely realistic dolls. The whole time I was there, I swear they were starining at me. One freaked out more than the others, but was probably because it looked like a girl at school who has a crush on me. :shock:

Back