• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: Raggedly Ann

I've finally found a sinister reference to the "heart" of a doll which has nothing to do with Raggedy's sweet candy heart. It looks like it has something to do with Voudoun. Apparantly, the story of Robert the Doll and his unstable owner is well known in Key West, Florida.
In what many speculate was actually an act of revenge, a Bahamian servant gave his son, Robert Eugene Otto a doll made of a wire frame, cloth, straw, and most likely, a soulstone. This type of enchantment in some voodoo practices involves a small crystal being placed into an object, thus imbuing it with power by taking a soul of its own.
http://www.angelfire.com/rant/shadowstalker/pictures/robert.html

[/url]http://www.horrorchannel.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=printpage&artid=8 With a face like this, you can ...ywestthumb/images/Robertthedoll_jpg.jpg[/img]

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sister had two dolls, one male, one female. They were large in size, maybe two feet tall each. They had plastic heads and hands, yellow string hair and foam bodies. They were both bressed in country style clothes, the girl with a dress and bonnet, the bot in brown dungarees and cap. My Sister would sit and talk to them for ages. I would stand outside of her door and listen to her talk to them, she would even say things like "No, put that down" and "Stop hurting her!". She always insisted that they could come to life and play with her.

One day she asked my mother to take them away because she didn't like them anymore. She said they were naughty and always fighting. I hated them. I was always sure they had moved and changed positions without anyone touching them. They always smiled in a strange way. I also remember we found pencil scribbles all over her walls and she said it was the dolls. She began to cry when my parents said they didn't believe her. Finally, we were all out for the day and when we returned home both dolls were on the floor of my sisters room. The boy had his hands pulled off and his foam stuffing was falling out. The girl was sitting against the wall and her head was on the floor mext to her. Our parents blamed the cat but later I tried pulling the hands off the girl doll and it took all my strength to rip the stiching.

I agree that dolls are creepy but clowns are worse. Even before Stephen Kings It, they creeped me out something rotten. Imagine waking up in the dead of night with a clown doll sitting on your chest. :err:

Ringo said:
we were all out for the day and when we returned home both dolls were on the floor of my sisters room. The boy had his hands pulled off and his foam stuffing was falling out. The girl was sitting against the wall and her head was on the floor mext to her. Our parents blamed the cat but later I tried pulling the hands off the girl doll and it took all my strength to rip the stiching.

Good LORD! :shock:

-Fitz

Fitz said:
Ringo said:
we were all out for the day and when we returned home both dolls were on the floor of my sisters room. The boy had his hands pulled off and his foam stuffing was falling out. The girl was sitting against the wall and her head was on the floor mext to her. Our parents blamed the cat but later I tried pulling the hands off the girl doll and it took all my strength to rip the stiching.

Good LORD! :shock:

-Fitz

I agree! YEUUUUUUCK!

Dolls! My mother has a doll that was once her great grandmothers. It has a porcelain face and hands, what I have since learned is real human hair and teeth.(the teeth arent human, just the hair :shock: ) YUCK! those teeth just give me the creeps. Looking at the thing I just can't imagine any little girl having much fun with it. I mean, it has a dreadfully flat expression and those TEETH! lol. I know, I know...it was a completely different time back then. The people in photographs didn't even smile so why should their dolls have? but those creepy darned teeth!

~Kim~

A lot of this doll/clown phobia (which I suffer from, too - anyone remember 'Talking Tina' from the original Twilight Zone?) reminds me of the theory of the 'Uncanny Valley' and why robots shouldn't look too lifelike:

if you graph people's emotional reactions to a robot, they will generally increase (become more positive) as the machine's similarity to a human being increases. However, at the point where the robot is nearly lifelike, a certain creepiness or even downright revulsion takes over and the emotional response collapses. If the robot could be made 100% human-like, then the emotional response would, of course, return to the favorable range. That emotional crash at the not-quite-human stage is the uncanny valley.

Those semi-realistic dolls could be said to be right on the cusp of the uncanny valley.

http://www.wordspy.com/words/uncannyvalley.asp

anyone remember 'Talking Tina' from the original Twilight Zone?)

I do now, unfortunately. I actually just saw that recently. There was a marathon of the Twiglight Zone on New Year's Eve. Little too scary for me when I'm in a room with about 20 dolls. :eek!!!!:

Blimey! Those two dolls really had it in for each other! <shudder>

Thought I'd repost a pic from the old board, to keep any Golly-Phobics out there on their toes.

Can't have you getting cocky. ;)

tickle.jpg

Imagine waking up in the dead of night with a clown doll sitting on your chest.
Like being married. shudders

I know, Dana! So apt. :shock:

Being ginger-haired, I must reply to this. ( I, too am afraid of clowns but I think it is because they are so unpredictable....you never know when they might throw a bucket of water on you. Anyway.....)

I never had a Raggedy-Ann but I have always loved dolls and nice bears. I don't have an explanation for the original post here, where he saw the doll and then it wasn't there. That would make my skin crawl!

However, I have an equally scary tale. My former ( and I do mean former) father -in -law decided to move into a remote cabin in a wooded area after he divorced my former mother-in-law.

One day my then-husband dragged me there to visit him. When I walked into this makeshift house ( which I think was just a glorified shack), there on the wall was tiny clown dolls inside of plastic bags, each one pinned to the wall with a tack.

I frowned and took a closer look, each one had a name written on the bag with a marker. The redheaded clown doll had my name on it, another had his other daughter-in-law's name on it and the third had his daughter's name on it.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
"Nice display you got there".....I think is what I said to him.

This proves several things.....

1. Why he is my FORMER father-in-law.
2. That HE is obviously the clown ( and slightly off his rocker).
3. Why my clown phobia continues.

[/i]

Leafy does that inhaling-through-clenched teeth thing again Oh, that is so wrong...so sinister yet disturbingly ambiguous. *shudder* Your former MIL must have been glad to get shut of him.

blakta2 said:
Dolls! My mother has a doll that was once her great grandmothers. ...I know...it was a completely different time back then. The people in photographs didn't even smile so why should their dolls have?

~Kim~

Actually, there was a good reason why people seldom smiled in old photos from the 1800's and on into the early 20th Century. I heard an explanation on a TV program a few years ago, probably the History Channel. It went something like this:

It took quite a while for the image to imprint into the photographic medium. For the earliest photographic equipment this took several hours! The slightest movement during the process would cause a blur in the photograph, so the subjects had to remain perfectly still throughout the time period required. A blank face is much easier to hold than a smile, so very few people would smile for a photograph in those days. As photographic equipment became more advanced, the time required became shorter and shorter, but it was still too long for most people to maintain a smile without any movement.

Just think of how well behaved children must have been in those days. We do see occasional photos of children from that time period. They had to stand completely motionless for the photographer for quite a while. Nowadays it's nearly impossible to get some of the little buggers to stop moving for one second!

clown doll

My brither worked in a movie theater when" Poltergeist "movie came out.He said many people told him the clown doll dragging the little boy under the bed was the scariest part of the movie!!

Raggedy Ann

Years ago I posted this creepy little story on the original "It Happened to Me." Last week, I ran across the gem saved to a dusty old floppy disc, packed in a box in the back of my closet. Here it is again, edited a bit, and back from the dead...

In the fall of 1995, my wife and I, along with our 5 year old son and our new baby, shared a one bedroom apartment near the beach in San Francisco. The bedroom had an arched entrance with no door, which opened directly into the livingroom. The place was set up like a long hallway and you had to walk past the bedroom to get to the rest of the house.

One night I returned home from work, and walked through the living room towards the kitchen. My wife was cooking dinner, our eldest son was playing in the backyard, and the baby was asleep in his crib. As I passed the bedroom, I glanced through the open arch, where I noticed a new addition to my wife's collection of stuffed animals. An oversized Raggedy Ann doll sat on the bed, facing directly toward the passage that lead to the rest of the house. This doll was huge - at least three feet from head to toe.

Other than the size, there was nothing about the doll that would seem initially frightening. It didn't move, it didn't carry a pointy weapon, and it didn't laugh maniacally. It just sat there, watching. I walked to the kitchen, said hello to my wife, and made some small talk. After a moment or two, I asked where she had gotten the new Raggedy Ann doll.

My wife looked at me blankly. She clearly had no idea what I was talking about. I said firmly "Come on, that big Raggedy Ann doll? The one on our bed?" She gave me a look as if there were large lobsters crawling out my ears! I repeated myself, but she still didn't understand, so I dragged her to the bedroom to show her the doll.

But there was no doll. The hair on the back of my neck stood at attention. Less than 5 minutes ago, a rather huge Raggedy Ann doll had been here, and no one could have moved it, as they would have had to walk past me to get to the bedroom.

The more I thought about what had happened, the more freaky the whole scenario seemed. The doll had been looking right at me, with those big, black, empty Raggedy Ann button eyes. The doll had been watching me, smiling in the way for which that type of doll is famous. Just watching, and waiting...and smiling.

I have no explanation for this occurance. If I were to have hallucinated a stuffed animal, what on earth would have made me see that doll? Why not a teddy bear, or a tigger cat, or any number of play animals? With their ghostly, clown faces, dead eyes, and ginger hair, Raggedy Ann dolls have a very distinctive look, and are not easily mistaken for any other doll.

What exactly did I see that day, and more pointedly, as the thing sat there watching, did it see me as well?

I have since heard stories about haunted dolls, or apparitions taking the form of a child's toy. Most of those stories don't bug me, but I have never been able to look at Raggedy Ann (or Andy) quite the same since then. These dolls now seriously creep me out, and probably always will!

I remember this!
One of the creepiest "It happened to Me" stories. Wow, thanks !

Mr. Pierce, you might care to research the "Raggedy Ann"-type doll which Connecticut ghost hunters Ed and Lorraine Warren allegedly had such spectral "fun" with. A truly malignant piece of merchandise if the accounts are true.

Even spookier, the man who made the first raggedy ann doll for his daughter, out of an old rag doll, lost his daughter at 13 when she was vaccinated for small pox at school without parental consent :shock:

For what it is worth, the character of Raggedy Ann was created by the American illustrator and cartoonist Johnny Gruelle. So "Ann" was a "book" doll before she ever became an actual, solid, three-dimensional one.

It seems to me tolerably obvious that Ann had been out having an adventure and climbed in the window to take a rest while trying to make her way home to Marcella. Possibly she had the wrong house, and slipped out as soon as she realized her mistake.

Were there any other Raggedy Ann dolls among your wife's collection?

nothing to fear here! this doll is a a true sweetheart...raggedy anne has a candy heart inscribed "i love you."

however, i hope you did check under the bed and the back of the closet.

Re: Raggedy Ann

DPierce said:
Years ago I posted this creepy little story on the original "It Happened to Me."...
And we've still got it, with the all the original replies, so I've merged them in.

And thanks again for a great story :).

OldTimeRadio said:
For what it is worth, the character of Raggedy Ann was created by the American illustrator and cartoonist Johnny Gruelle. So "Ann" was a "book" doll before she ever became an actual, solid, three-dimensional one.

Yes, sorry for my vagueness......I think I was talking about Gruelle, who made the doll for his daughter, that later inspired the books...so I think the doll did come first...it just wasn't the stereotypical raggedy ann doll we know.

Origins
Gruelle created Raggedy Ann for his daughter, Marcella, when she brought him an old hand-made rag doll and he drew a face on it. From his bookshelf, he pulled a book of poems by James Whitcomb Riley, and combined the names of two poems, "The Raggedy Man" and "Little Orphant Annie." He said, "Why don’t we call her Raggedy Ann?" [1]

That's where I was coming from, but it is a little vague. I just thought it was a tad creepy. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raggedy_Ann

PeniG said:
It seems to me tolerably obvious that Ann had been out having an adventure and climbed in the window to take a rest while trying to make her way home to Marcella. Possibly she had the wrong house, and slipped out as soon as she realized her mistake.

I like this explanation

thenumenorian said:
....i hope you did check....the back of the closet.

Whenever I hear a parent attempt to re-assure a child by explaining that "there's absolutely nothing in your closet except for clothes and sports equipment" the following thought comes all unbidden into my mind:

MIGHT there be some analogy between the closet and the Spiritualist medium's cabinet?

Which should give you people at least an inkling as to how my mind works.

Besides, I've always been terrified of "Absolutely Nothing."

I really should add a Smiley here, but I'm not going to.

Back