• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: Raggedly Ann

When I was a kid I also had a fear of things lurking under the bed/in the wardrobe. As most parents do, my father would himself check in these places in order to show me there was nothing there. However this was counter-productive as it reaffirmed my suspicion that there was a necessity to check, and that my father believed such monsters "did" lurk in such places. In the end I used to open all my wardobe/desk/cupboard/dresser doors and then go to bed with everything standing open....it freaked my mum out for a few years but it enabled me to sit up in bed and check everything was ok!

I used to lie awake as long as possible, eyes wide open, staring round the room, watching for any movement. :shock:

Wasn't too worried about things being under the bed as I'd check there first. The door worried me most. Anything could walk through it. Anything.

Looking back, it occurs that I probably had a quite rational fear of my mother barging in, dragging me out of bed and battering me for some suddenly-remembered misbehaviour, which did happen from time to time.

Perhaps the unnamed scary thing was really just my slap-happy Ma, cleverly shoved down into my subconscious and disguised by my shrewd little brain. ;)

the door used to worry me too. for some reason i used to fear that a giant ant would be there, standing on its hind legs, waiting for me

pooka14 said:
The "good people"get into the dolls because we are their playthings. They have played with humans for thousands of years. We still have a Teddy Ruxpin bear in our attic,bought for our son when he was two-hes seventeen now . I may send it with him when he moves out, its acreepy thing ,Itook the batteries out when Istored it ,but still expect it to talk to me when Im in the attic.

My friend has a Teddy Ruxpin that would strange mechanical noises and move it's mouth when the batteries were out. I was 11 or 12 at the time and didn't believe her. So when i spent the night she showed it to me. Sure enough i checked, no batteries. When i picked it up it made the most horrible screeching noises and grinding and moved its mouth up an down. She kept it out in the shed with out her parents knowing because they thought she was over reacting. They figured it was just extra energy stored up in the computer inside the bear, but to us it was just freaky.

EnolaGaia said:
Were there any other Raggedy Ann dolls among your wife's collection?

Not a one. In fact, all of her stuffed animals were just that - animals. This is one of the reasons I got so creeped- it would have been all but impossible for me to have mistaken anything she had for Raggedy Ann. There was just nothing remotely similar on the bed.

The other bit that creeped me out is the knowledge (yes, knowledge) that the doll--if it was a doll--was looking directly at me as I passed by. I was being coldly observed.

escargot1 just read your post. My mother was like yours so that might explain why I used to have to check under the bed every night for a scary something when I was a child.

Nutters, aren't they? Beating kids up. Bloody nutters. Don't deserve nice daughters like us. :lol:

ginoide said:
the door used to worry me too. for some reason i used to fear that a giant ant would be there, standing on its hind legs, waiting for me

the door still worries me :oops: I usually align my bed so that I can't look through the door should it be open, which is fine in my home, not so good on hols and visiting other people.

I recently spent a couple of days staying with a friend as she was unwell, but it meant sleeping on the sofa. Unfortunately, her living room has two doors along the opposite wall to where the sofa is. Now I'm all the way grown up, able to reason with myself that there are no axe murderers about to break in etc, I'd be more intrested in seeing a ghost than being scared of one, don't have an especially vivid mind at all, but I cannot get past THE DOOR. Open or closed, locked or unlocked, I'm just spooked. I think I got about four hours sleep in two nights!

Bumping an old thread but I was watching the pop video for Cyndi Lauper's 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' a few months or so back when I spotted the exact same type of rag doll as the supposed horrifyingly haunted Annabelle rag doll held in the Warren collection.

I mentioned this at the time in a different thread here but thought it should probably be posted in this one, skip to 3:22 and 3:25 ..

adoll.jpg

Last edited:
My ever-useful *Collector's Encyclopedia of Dolls* (Coleman & Coleman, 1968) has no entry for "heart," skipping straight from "Head" to "Heath, Almon" (who got a design patent in the early 1920s). Hearts are not mentioned in the long article on rag dolls (but in 1906 there was a company that made early portrait dolls by using your child's photograph as the face! Now that, I do find creepy!) However, the entry for Raggedy Ann doesn't even mention the books, so the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence; all encyclopedias have their limits. Most rag dolls through history have been homemade, so some such tradition could have existed in a particular geographic location.

I flashed on something, too, when I read the above; but I quickly realized that I was remembering, not a real doll, but a storybook. I thought at first it was Rumer Godden, but on reflection I'm sure it was newer. So I trotted on over to my own website, where I have a little section on "Dolls in Literature," and found that I had completely failed to list this when I read it, so that was no good. What I'm remembering was a faux-Victorian story with two orphan girls, one of whom supported them both by delicately embroidering hearts onto dolls, as the final touch for a high-end doll maker; these were not rag dolls, but bisque- and china-heads with sawdust stuffed bodies (which isn't at all how it was done; I think one reason I didn't bother to put this on the webpage must have been irritation at the author's not bothering to research Victorian doll manufacture before composing the story).

The Japanese line of Kewpies had red heart-shaped stickers rather than the shield on the German line, and the Steadfast Tin Soldier melted into the shape of a heart. The interiors of dolls were popular places to hide small treasures (silverware, jewelry, military secrets) during the American Revoloution and Civil War. This is all I'm getting. It's a nice idea, and I think I might do it if I ever execute my vague plan to make a rag doll for my neice, but without a firm reference from somewhere, heart-talismans inside rag dolls will have to remain only a nice idea.
So sorry I’m late . . .
I loved Rumer Godden’s “The Fairy Doll”; it’s uplifting & bittersweet. (One girl; one doll). Google helped a bit with your “embroidered heart” memory: the tale of the two orphaned sisters seems to be a short story, now anthologized. The anthology can be bought online & even read online with Google Books ($). Here is the info; sorry I couldn’t find the name/author of the actual story:

The Horn Book Guide to Children's and Young Adult Books
Horn Book Guide, Volume 11, Issue 2

PublisherHorn Book, Incorporated, 2000

Original fromthe University of Michigan

DigitizedAug 29, 2009

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Horn_Book_Guide_to_Children_s_and_Yo.html?id=nR3hAAAAMAAJ

Back