• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: Sleep Paralysis?

I always have had a hard time believing any story that starts out
"I was asleep and was awaken.."

there are so many stories of abductions, out of body experience, stick people and such, many of these stories start out with someone not sure if they are awake or not.

I'm not so sure.

I've experienced Sleep Paralysis, and even though at the time of it happening, i think i'm awake, as soon as i wake for real, i know it was a dream, i always know where sleep ends and reality begins again.

It's interesting, that sleep paralysis could explain away many fortean happenings, but there's too much left unanswered, why do these people have a problem discerning the difference between the dream state, and being awake? While others (like myself) have no problem knowing it was a dream.
Maybe it has to do with the experience? How traumatising it was/is, how close to the heart, the subject matter was/is.

And maybe some people are just more dellusional than others, most people who report alien abduction do seem a little unhinged, although the experience could leave them that way.

Who knows, i sure as hell don't. :)

Let me explain...

I laid down and closed my eyes to go to sleep. The next thing I know, I'm opening my eyes. It seemed like only a long moment , but I really have no idea how much time had passed.

In 97% of my dreams, I do not dream of people or places that I know. On the rare occasions when I do, I do not see the faces of the people and there is a huge, obvious distortion to the place that lets me know that I am dreaming and not awake. When my night terrors took place, every single detail of my room was exactly as it was before I got into bed. There was no distortion.

This is the sticking point for me, and this is most of the reason why I don't know what was actually occuring for me during the terrors - reality or dream?

:confused:

I know for a fact on more than one occasion that I was fully awake when I had the strange encounters... this happen right when I've crawled in to bed within about three minutes I can feel some evil presents enter the room...... and I'm paralyzed in fear... I am sure as hell dont know what it is.... that as long as I'm alive in this crap keeps happening to me I will try my best to find out what it is:mad:

You say this happens when you've crawled into bed, maybe you have been asleep? Do you fall asleep quickly? Have you been overly tired on these occasions?

Something else that might explain it...

I've watched a programme on one of the discovery channels, about sleep, a large part of the show was about an experiment done in the 60's (i think), by an American Radio DJ. The plan was to stay awake for a long period of time, with no sleep at all, i can't remember how long, but it was a lengthy period of time.
Anyway.... The outcome of this experiment was that the dream state takes place whether we sleep or not.

Some would explain it away as sleep deprivation, in which 'hallucinations' are a known side effect. But in this programme the 'experts' claimed that it wasn't just 'hallucinations', it was the brain trying to cope without sleep.
Is it REM sleep we need to have, where if we don't get that we become sleep deprivated? And i think this programme was setting out that if we don't get this sleep, the brain still has to go through certain cycles, which was backed up by the 'data' kept by the medical/psychological doctor present through the whole experiment with this DJ. The DJ would have cycles, where he would hallucinate, hear things that weren't there, and act 'out of character'. Just in the same way that we all would, during our dream state. He also became very paranoid, and his hallucinations became part of this.
The outcome of the experiment was, he lost everything, his wife, job, life. The psychological damage done through the experiment was irreversable, he became very paranoid, frightened, and turned to drink.

So it's not much of a leap to then imagine that it is possible to enter a 'sleep paralasys' state while still awake, if the circumstances are right. I really don't have all the facts, i must look out for this programme again, as the discovery channels usually repeat programming.

If anyone has any details on any research like this, i'd be very interested.

CyberCelt.

Levitation

One time when i was about 7 or 8,I was sleeping over at my grandmothers house one night,everything seemed normal until an hour or so later.I was dreaming about something(dont remember what)when all of the sudden i woke up.It felt as though spirits or something was lifting me off the bed.I was to frightened to try to move or open my eyes but if it where to happen again then i would try to see 'them'.Anyway the next morning when i really woke up,my eyes were kinda glued shut,I tried to scrape the gooey stuff off but it just made it worse.So my mom took me to the doctor and all i remember after that is them putting a mask thing on me and i fell asleep again and woke up in a nursing bed.Im not sure if it was sleep paralysis or not but that doesnt explain the gooey stuff.Anyway i want the floating thing to happen again so i can try to see them but i dont want the gooey stuff again...eew gross. :confused:

:hello:
Hello everyone. Wilbur's sister here (twin actually so sorry for confusion but don't have own ID)

I've suffered from sleep paralysis many times - generally going through phases of several weeks when it can become very common, only to find it disappearing for long periods of time. I find it does coincide with very stressful times both emotionally and physically (exactly the times when oddly enough you could really use a good night's sleep (!))

The last experience was the most interesting for me. Although I know it's very common to feel an evil presence in the room, this was the first time I had been aware of another figure there - a dark figure moving towards me around the side of the bed, quite definite in outline and very, very evil. I had the certain knowledge that when it reached me it would harm/kill me, and felt the typical inability to escape and sheer irrational terror. The interesting part for me was that I have become fairly used to the feelings which accompany sleep paralysis and was very concious that this was "just"sleep paralysis and intrigued by the fact that it seemed such a classic form! At the same time as being almost amused and entertained by what I was seeing, I had the inescapable fear and was utterly unable to control/end the experience. Eventually (by waggling a toe I think which usually works with me!) I managed to stop the figure from advancing. and woke up very, very shaken.

It just fascinated me that I could at the same time be powerless to stop the fear which the experience provoked and yet be aware that it wasn't real in any sense. An example of the subconcious totally overriding any attempt at rationalisation?

ive had this happen 3 times,each time i was on my way to sleep
when i would become paralised.i never felt any presence or weight on my chest.each time i concetrated on my little toe
beliveing if i could move that it some how would enable me to move everything.one of the times i managed to start saying help
to my girlfreind but only managed to get to about heeeeeeeee,this seemed to jump,like a skipping record in my head, untill i could move again.

REM

It's perfectly possible to have REM while waking.

I have a sleep disorder - not sleep paralysis, but an inabiltiy to reach the deep sleep during which most repair to the body takes place. I am also an acute and chronic insomniac.

As well as always dreaming lucidly, occasionally "sharing dreams" with others, I went through a bad patch a few years ago when I didn't sleep at all for about 6 days. By day 3 I was hallucinating really badly, and my doctor was utterly convinced I had taken drugs (although I hadn't). I wasn't asleep, but I was dreaming.

I have experienced odd bouts of sleep paralysis, on occasion, usually when I am completely exhausted, but lucidity usually remains. The only times I start to lose lucidity is when I haven't slept properly in a few days and REM starts creeping in during the day (although it sometimes does that anyway). I have pretty weird experiences a lot of the time anyway, so sometimes it can be difficult to tell a waking dream from something else weird.

Sam

this has just started happening to me within the past year, I just moved out to the country about three years ago I moved into a old Victorian house I thought maybe the house was haunted but nothing really weird has happened haunting wise just this sleep situation with me

what happens is all be laying in bed wide awake and I feel an evil something come in my room and it feels like its holding me down, just recently actually was able to open my eye and I saw I know this sounds stupid but I saw one of those aliens I guess they look like frogs its skin was dark gray but I don't see these aliens or illusions every time, most of the time I can't move it sounds like in my head there's about 1000 people whispering all at the same time that right their terrifies me.

I read in a couple post up that some of the women have felt sexual encounters while this takes place. is happened to me too many times. I like to talk to somebody about this is there's anyone that has any answers to my questions I would so appreciate it . thank you:cool:

Hi Deanna. :)

Do you have anything stressful in your life? I find that i usually suffer from sleep paralysis when i'm stressed, or very unhappy.
I don't think there are any simple answers, it's probably different for everyone, but i take a product called 'natracams', you can get them in Holland & Barrets. They really help me, i do still get sleep paralysis sometimes, but very rarely, and even when i do get it, it's not frightening anymore. It's like the natracams relax me, so i don't get so worked up when i realise i can't move, or see properly etc, and since i've been taking them, the noises (voices, or people moving around beyond my vision), have been harmless, rather than threatening.

It's worth a try, or you could just find out what is stressing you out in the first place, and deal with that, sadly it's not quite that simple in my case.

CyberCelt.

CyberCelt said:
Hi Deanna. :)

Do you have anything stressful in your life? I find that i usually suffer from sleep paralysis when i'm stressed, or very unhappy.
I don't think there are any simple answers, it's probably different for everyone, but i take a product called 'natracams', you can get them in Holland & Barrets. They really help me, i do still get sleep paralysis sometimes, but very rarely, and even when i do get it, it's not frightening anymore. It's like the natracams relax me, so i don't get so worked up when i realise i can't move, or see properly etc, and since i've been taking them, the noises (voices, or people moving around beyond my vision), have been harmless, rather than threatening.

It's worth a try, or you could just find out what is stressing you out in the first place, and deal with that, sadly it's not quite that simple in my case.

CyberCelt.
thank you for replying back to my post:D that was very kind of you
let me see am I stressed about anything, not that I recall everything is going just fine, my work is doing just great making enough money. I have no family I live by myself so I don't have to worry about any family problems. and maybe I will try that stuff you take maybe it will help me:) at least I hope so
because if I see any more weird looking creatures in my room at the edge of my bed I think literally my heart will stop that's how terrified I get, and I sure as hell dont want to go to the doctors about this, afraid he might think I'm crazy and try to have me committed :eek!!!!: I know I'm not crazy.... am I :(

Hehe. Well i can assure you the doctor won't think your crazy, not unless you turn up dressed as a llama, and answering to the name 'Jezzabelle'. :)

We all have nightmares, in whatever form they take, and doctors will probably just tell you what i did, to see if there's anything stressful in your life, etc, as that's what causes bad sleep, and nightmares in general.
Just another thing, if you don't think it's a stressful thing, you might wanna look into Feng shui (sp?). I think most people are agreed that sleep paralysis is in the mind, it's to do with not feeling right in yourself, be it worries, fears, depression etc, and therefore the answer is about finding something to set your mind at ease...

I'm not sure i believe in feng shui myself, but it does appease the soul. And a lot of it is common sense, like the placing of your bed... which could cause you problems, without you even knowing it... i'm not sure of all the rights and wrongs, but you should be able to find what you need online, for the moment you might wanna try moving your bed about, i think the best placing is to have the bottom of the bed at the door, and have it so that you sleep facing the window, which is common sense, so that you can see if anyone is coming through the window, or the door. Maybe someone else can give you more details, i really don't know much about it, just that a friend of mine read up on it, did what it said, and she slept like a baby after that. :)

CyberCelt.

Hi folks

I too have experienced sleep paralysis and many of the associated phenomena that others here have described from time to time. I observed and studied my own experiences, when they were occuring and so on and I would say a couple of things that I have found. I don't think that the relationship with stress is a direct one ie: stress = nightmares. At the moment I probably going through one of the most stressful times of my life, facing my Uni finals and I haven't had a problem with it for a good long while. I do find it happens more to me if I go to sleep at an unusual time, especially if I take a siesta during the afternoon - that is the worst time strangely enough. I would back up what CyberCelt suggested about Feng Shui or moving your bed around though, I do think this is a good idea. I have found that I tend to experience these problems more if my bed is oriented north-south, so now I tend to sleep on an east-west axis. Sounds daft I know, but hey! it seems to work so I don't knock it. Personally I tend to feel it has something to do with cycles in the brain getting a bit mashed up, cos for me it seems almost as though my mind is consciously awake but my brain and body are still asleep somehow. I have also found herbal remedies helpful so I would again back up the advice that CyberCelt gives here.

it's funny how you guys are talking about how to arrange your bed... one of my best girlfriends came to visit me and she saw how my bed was laying the right up against the window and she flipped out :eek!!!!: they have some type of superstition in their land that if your bed is up against the window it represents the grave and you will have nightmares and she freaked out because I had a box fan in my room... I've actually had three box fans in my room to block out the noise because I'm afraid of hearing stuff in my room specially the voice plus I've put earplugs and I can still hear the voices... apparently it is in my head :(

Deanna Troi said:
sounds like in my head there's about 1000 people whispering all at the same time that right their terrifies me.

Have never had sleep paralysis (that I remember anyway) but have had this effect once before. Whilst at work one day I suddenly felt really disjointed from everything around me and heard the 1000s people whispering thing. It was so intensive yet no sound could be associated with it - it seemed loud and quiet at the same time. I thought I was going mad, but kept calm, closed my eyes and it went away after a minute or so. I was quite likely tired and had been staring at a screen for several hours. Probably a bit dehydrated as well, as I never drink enoughat work. I would more than likely associate it having a physical rather than metaphysical cause.

siriuss said:
Have never had sleep paralysis (that I remember anyway) but have had this effect once before. Whilst at work one day I suddenly felt really disjointed from everything around me and heard the 1000s people whispering thing. It was so intensive yet no sound could be associated with it - it seemed loud and quiet at the same time. I thought I was going mad, but kept calm, closed my eyes and it went away after a minute or so. I was quite likely tired and had been staring at a screen for several hours. Probably a bit dehydrated as well, as I never drink enoughat work. I would more than likely associate it having a physical rather than metaphysical cause.

thank God i am not the only one :D but seriously it is very frightening I can say if I never experience that again in my life I can enjoy the rest of my life... I also have a problem with my ears shutting off no noise whatsoever and then I will get a high-pitched ringing in my ear...lol... you would think I was a wolf or something :D

Deanna Troi said:
thank God i am not the only one :D but seriously it is very frightening I can say if I never experience that again in my life I can enjoy the rest of my life... I also have a problem with my ears shutting off no noise whatsoever and then I will get a high-pitched ringing in my ear...lol... you would think I was a wolf or something :D
I get that one, quite annoying isn't it?

Caroline said:
I get that one, quite annoying isn't it?

Yes it is:D I wonder what causes it? I thought maybe it's because of loud music at my work... who knows:confused:

And me

I think it's caused by pressure changes in the eustachian tubes triggering tinnitus.

I've had the whispers too. I don't bother about it unless they start getting really insistent and making specific requests, then I tell them to bog off:p

Sam

Originally posted by Deanna Troi
thank God i am not the only one :D but seriously it is very frightening I can say if I never experience that again in my life I can enjoy the rest of my life... I also have a problem with my ears shutting off no noise whatsoever and then I will get a high-pitched ringing in my ear...lol... you would think I was a wolf or something :D [/QUOTE

Oh, i get that. Happens in one ear, where suddenly it goes silent, then there's like a ringing or a single tone, that is continuous, just in that one ear. I think a lot of people get it, i'm nearly sure i've talked to people about it before, and they've had it too. It's probably just something completely natural. :)

I've had sleep paralysis several times in my life, but never had the feeling of something crushing my chest. A few nights ago I was really really tired and when I got to bed I swear I could actually feel myself falling asleep, it was the most peculiar sensation, as though I was being sucked into something, and I could feel what felt like somethign sitting on my bed, I kept rousing myslef, looking to see what was there, then drifting off again, only to feel the weight on the bed ... I've no idea why I felt like something was on the bed, but I didn't get that "oh god I can't move" sensation that you get with sleep paralysis...

sleep paralysis

This sounds like sleep paralysis, I've had it a few times & this exactly the sort of scary shit that happens, sleeping, waking up (or think you do) & feeling & hearing every bizarre occurance exactly as if it were real & objectively happening; an excellent diversion into what the brain is capable of, but thats about it: a symptom of stress, nothing more.

Reading through this thread has been really quite enlightening for me, and has made me realise that maybe I've got off kind of lightly where sleep paralysis is concerned!

The first time I remember this weirdness happening, I was probably 15 or 16, and this has tended to crop up every now and then ever since. Some of the comments here have suggested a link with stressful circumstance, which could be true, though I'm rarely conscious of this at the time. Anyway, I thought I'd comment on this, and perhaps offer a slightly different experience.

The first experience I had was of seeming to wake up in my bed at night, seeing all the lights on, and not being able to move. Then my body seemed to lift feet first off the bed in a sort of headstand position, but with my head locked firmly onto the pillow, looking up at myself. Next, my body thrashed about somewhat, with my head still locked to the pilows, until the violence of the movements freed it, and I felt like I was spinning around my room, crashing into the bookshelves, across the ceiling and walls, and finally smashing into my guitar in the corner of the room. Then I woke up. And once again I was paralysed. And this happened again, and again several times until I did emerge with difficulty to the world of the living, where it seems I had dosed off for about 10 minutes in the early afternoon.

Nowadays, the fearful sensations are the same, but the experience fits the 'usual' SP patterns. It usually feels like I've not yet gone to sleep, but an awesome force is pushing me out of bed, into a corner. I'll grab the sheets and mattress, and be twisted around, and sometimes up the wall ('driving me up the goddamn wall!). Then I'll struggle awake, sweat pouring of me, my heart racing.

Now I am writing about this, I am aware that sometimes this is accompanied by voices or unsettling sounds, but I can't place exactly what. I think that sometimes a really vivid dream has 'seagued' into one of these 'attacks', but when they happen, the mind is definitely awake to some degree...
I'm thankful that I've never experienced this to the intense degree that some of you here have described here - I can only empathise with you, because its not a nice sensation at all!

Hello, this is my first post.

I've suffered from sleep paralysis for some time, since I was in my early teens at least anyway (I'm now 23). Normally it is pretty much just the cliche - I wake up, and find I can't move anything. I try to shout or scream or say something, but at best I can only manage a slight squeak that I probably only imagine anyway. Eventually it goes away, or someone shakes me out of it (thats probably not actually good for you, but anyway.)

However, last year I was back living with my parents for a few months. One night, after about 40 hours up, I went to bed at about six in the evening, shattered. Sometime later, I woke up, and immediately realised I was paralysed. I could see out the corner of my eye the door was open, and the hall light was on. I could hear my parents downstairs, talking. I tried to relax, and let myself simply come out of it as usual, but I quickly realised something was wrong. I couldn't breath. I was suffocating to death. Panic gripped me - what could I do? If I didn't get my parents up, I would die! I tried screaming for help, but as usual. nothing. Then somehow, I managed to tip myself onto the floor, and by making tiny movements I crawled towards the door.

Then I woke up - again. Somehow I'd managed to fall back asleep again, but now I was awake I still lying in bed, still paralysed. Then I heard someone coming up the stairs. Oh good, I thought. One of my parents. They would know what to do. Then I realised I could still hear them downstairs, talking. If I'd felt panic before, now terror like I've never known before gripped me. Who the hell was coming up the stairs? In the corner of my eye, I saw the slit of light into the landing grow bigger as the door opened. A black silhouete slipped through, and the door closed again, all silently. I could feel a - well, I guess precence in the room, and I could see a dark figure walking around on the other side of the bed. I was quite spectacularly terrified. I genuinly belived he was going to kill me. And then the figure stopped for a moment, and sprinted (or flew) towards me, and - I swear this is true - punched me hard in the face. I felt the pain. My head flopped back. I came out of paralysis, fell onto the floor and started screaming like hell, as you'd imagine. My parents burst in, but of course there was no sign of the mysterious figure.

Since then I've seen the shadowy figure again, but that time he just stood at the end of my bed, looking at me.
Now, I don't belive that he was a ghost or succubus or anything. I'm pretty sure he's just a product of my mind, but try telling yourself that when your paralysed and sure your about to die.

I've had sleep paralysis only twice in my life. It was enough that I now, too, never sleep on my back - what is it about this position?
When I was 18 I had to have an operation and was told to sleep on my back (I'd preferred my stomach since childhood) until I got better, but remained sleeping on my back for quite some months afterward out of habit.
I'd slept in the converted cellar of my parents house - an old Chapel - for a year and had felt perfectly happy there, relaxed, and confident. I had every expectation, after a time of considerable stress, that my happy feelings those last three months since the successful op would continue into the future. I had no worries whatsoever. I didn't believe in God. Nor the Devil. Nor ghosts. And I knew that there was no danger of burglars. I fell asleep listening to my favourite album which was very relaxing and soothing and looking forward to the next day.
Where was the stress? Where was the psychological fear and beliefs that constructed my sleep paralysis?
I was AWOKEN, would you believe, by a sharp buzzing so loud that it hurt my ears and I shook my head and frowned thinking 'OW, dammit!' and was really irritated - I thought my stereo had gone wrong. I did NOT wake up first and then realise I could hear humming or buzzing, as I said, it woke me up from my deep comfortable sleep and I was irritated, NOT confused or afraid because I thought I knew what it was already. My fear only began when I realised that having shaken my head I could no longer move it and that my vision had gone blurred with the room looking full of a 'shadow'. If it was the normal sleep paralysis your body uses to stop you injuring yourself during dreaming why could I move when I woke up? And why was some crazy nut laughing somewhere in my bedroom - it was so loud it filled my head. I was incredulous when I 'knew' it was the devil or an evil spirit - I didn't believe in any of that. But I couldn't disbelieve it when the classic symptoms increased - couldn't breathe, pressure, increasing blindness, laughter getting louder - so I, quite rationally, thought 'right, the Devil - Okay! Well if I die I'm going to go out praying to God' and within two sentences of the Lord's Prayer it abruptly lifted and I got up and ran to my parents room unashamedly like a hysterical toddler!!! My mother mumbled something about the vents down there and that I might have had oxygen deprivation or something and no one took me seriously. I knew something wierd had happened. Where does this stuff come from. I had no interest or belief in the Occult or Religion at the time so why that? I was more scared of being raped or knifed by a burglar than a supernatural entity! I even believed in aliens more than devils!! Then i read the Mothman Prophecies by John A Keel and everything slotted into place inside my 'crazy' brain.
JK reckons that flashing lights and repetitive rhythmic sounds like buzzing can induce a short-circuit in the brain causing paralysis and hallucination which can account for a wide variety of phenomena among this planets peoples throughout history. It induces an epileptic trance into which hallucinations can be 'slotted', by the unwitting victim himself, or by an external influence. Those of the more rational readers out there may dismiss the next bit - JK says there has always been and always will be other dimensions to our universe and that these entities attempt to make contact through these lights and sounds - he has had information from contactees that there are 'searchers' that look for these minds which are more suggestible to this trance state than others. They are mischievous and misleading. Once they've broken into this mind through the trance state then all manner of hallucinations can be induced to either manipulate the victim into thinking they've experienced an 'abduction event', or been taken to another planet, or seen a monster, or a ghostly apparition, for what purpose is still unclear. This freaked me out somewhat as my second experience didn't discount this possibility. I felt the paralysis before I opened my eyes, as I'd become a nervous and light sleeper!!!, and immediately began to say the prayer and think in my head 'no, b*gger OFF!' and rather than being afraid I was primarily angry as I still thought it was the devil and I thought of all the people in the world to do bad and he picks on me and I know I've done nothing wrong, etc. Suddenly I could move! I haven't had an attack since. Now I don't know why some of you have these repeated attacks. Do you know if you are easily hypnotised? Do you have ESP? Have you ever seen a ghost or ufo which suggests that you percieve things other minds do not? Do you short-circuit electronic equipment? Do you feel 'atmospheres'? Perhaps those of you who have accepted the paralysis and don't fear them have become boring minds to play with now? Perhaps that accounts for those of you who have less and less attacks as you grow older or have less powerful or malevolent ones as time had gone on? I don't know. I've heard the scientific explanation about ultra-low frequencies causing these same feelings but what causes the ULF's? A malfunctioning fridge in the next-door neighbour's house would affect everyone in the house, surely, including a slumbering partner next to you and yet many people find that this follows them through life leaving those around them unaffected. Sleep paralysis is real and documented but that is just plain sleep paralysis not all these other manifestations that just seem to ride on the back of it. Surely we are looking at different forms of this phenomenon.
There is something very wierd going on here and for the 'irrationals' among us there is a site called Loonboy's Paranormal Zone which has really good write ups on cases of sleep paralysis, which have been video-taped and documented with witnesses who were awake in the room trying to make contact with the whatever it is, being connected to spirits - quite scarey. Mark Gillan and his brother from Glasgow and an american called Ted Filippone. It's certainly made me more aware that 'Science' is just another religion people can adhere to and the books on quantum theory, the observer-created reality, and other dimensions do nothing to disprove JK's theories!!!

My experience pales in comparison with some of the posts here but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.

I have only had sleep paralysis once, it was summer of last year and I remember waking early on a very sunny Saturday morning, to my left I could hear the young fledglings chirping away outside my bedroom. To my right I heard an unusual droning/humming noise, quite loud and distinct and sounding like maybe it was just outside the room, possibly on the floor below.

I was laid out on my back, legs straight and arms by my sides, As I never fall to sleep in that position, I tried to roll on to my side to see if I could work out the location of the droning but found I was unable to move, I tried to turn my head but of course found I couldn't do that either though it did later occur to me that I was able to move were my eyes, for which I had complete effortless control (on both opening and moving) and I was able to lift my index and middle fingers on each hand, albeit with much effort and patience.

After realising I was paralysed I began to panic slightly and started to feel a presence beside me in the room, just outside of my sight range, but I regained composure and dismissed this as paranoia, this "presence" then disappeared.

After staring up at the ceiling for a couple of minutes I began to feel a huge crushing feeling in the centre of my chest, almost like a huge weight was suddenly laid on top of me, and with this I began to find it incredibly hard to breathe, at first I thought it could have been an asthma attack, but I've had attacks in the past and none felt anything like this, asthma feels like (and. well is) a closing of the airways, this however, was a crushing feeling.

I knew if the breathing problems persisted I would have passed out, so I tried calling for help to find I could utter no more than a single muted syllable that I could barely hear myself, whether this was caused by my breathing or the paralysis (or perhaps even both) I am uncertain.

I once again calmed myself, I had heard of sleep paralysis before, I knew that it passes and decided to concentrate on breathing and ride it out. After a few long minutes the crushing began to subside and with it my breathing began to return and I also started to regain so more muscle power in my arms, enough to roll me on to my side at least.

As my body began to recover I found my mind began to slip back into sleep, I found myself exhausted from the experience and fell back to sleep. I woke almost three hours later feeling no ill affects at all.

This was the first, and so far the last of my sleep paralysis experiences but after I have read the replies to this topic all I can say is I feel lucky to have not experienced more.

-Kornflake™

The lassitude some people feel certainly seems like a mild epileptic episode, doesn't it?

In the same way that poltergeist activity hinges completely on there being an adolescent in the house perhaps this intelligence needs this trance-state to manifest. Some have it. Some don't. Being dismissive of its reality could be an effective way to 'switch it off' in the same way that psychics see ghosts and most non-believers spend their whole lives seeing absolutely nothing.

I don't profess to understand any more than anyone else on this thread and you could stand with Susan Blackmore or with John Keel but I don't think either side would win a debating competition!

My brother-in-law has also had a one-off experience, I call mine a one-off too because the other times I've had sleep paralysis there was nothing there and I wasn't afraid and there was no crushing or trouble breathing, so there DO seem to be an awful lot of people out there with these...tester?...experiences.

My sister used to have nightmares about an 'evil presence' in her bedroom throughout her life until she became a born-again Christian aged 25. It could be something, it could be psychological, who knows? She was always very 'sensitive' and a lot of things frightened her and we all used to tease her as we grew up because every single photo of my sister is of her crying - even sat on Father Xmas's knee! We used to think she was slightly pathetic, I'm afraid, but now she's an adult and can explain what she used to see and we know that she's not schitzo or anything we feel really guilty because we'd have been crying too!!! Things are definitely more than they seem to some!

Anyone else have any good ideas why some just have the disconcerting-paralysis and some have the crushing-terror/evil thing?:confused: :eek!!!!:

Re, Sleep Paralysis

I had the same thing for a number of years. The first time I remember having it, I was probably about 13 or 14 (I'm 34 now). I kind of "woke up", meaning I became conscious, or aware like when I'm awake, exept that I couldn't move at all. I thought I was in a coma. I tried to get up, but couldn't seem to budge at all. I thought "Maybe I could move just my arm". I did, and when it reached the apex at which I no longer had to lift it, it fell beside me and woke me up. I also remember feeling all "tingly", like when my foot goes to sleep, except there was no place on my body where I didn't feel like that - it was everywhere. Years later I would have the same experience, usually when I had not been getting proper rest due to either staying up too late, or breaking up my sleep hours. One incident happened when I was going to summer school one year, and had stayed up late the night before. I was sensitive to staying up too late, but have gotten over that. I always got ENOUGH rest, but not always right when I should. Anyway, back around '86, I started leaving my clock radio on when I went to sleep. I would get into this "half woke" state, and the radio would sound like nothing but static. It was frightening to me, although I would never have admitted it. I'd make some grunts trying to get up, or get away from that sound, and when I'd wake up and move to turn the dial, or turn it off, I'd realize there was nothing wrong with the sound the way it was. That was strange. I also had an incident one night after coming home from summer school where I had fallen asleep on the couch, and later on got a call from this girl who I was friendly with at school. By then I was more friendly to her than she was to me, although we still talked (can't blame her, my fault, etc). Anyway, she called me after I had been in the state described above, except that the light filtering in through the door wove itself into my dream, and it seemed so real, like the way you described sitting up and watching your friend comb her hair; I was dreaming that there was a thief at the door trying to break in, and I was convinced it was all real. Having not yet had enough sleep, when the phone rang I ran, answered it, and when she stared talking I said "Sssshhh! You'll scare him away!". Erica said "Who?" and I said "The thief!". She started laughing and I explained to her that there was a guy trying to break in and I wanted to catch him. Then I realized I must have been dreaming. I have experienced the funny soundingness of the radio, the lucid dream part, the paralysis, and the feeling that something is crushing you. That's the weird part too, because if I'm right, what that is is you holding your breath fearfully, trying to make a sound, and being very sensitive to the way that feels to your muscles. These spells mostly went away, but I can give you this advice. I learned a martial arts breathing technique when I was younger that has helped me when coupled with meditation. Practice that technique when you're awake so that you will have better odds of remembering it when this happens to you. Most important is that you concentrate on your centre of balance, which is about an inch below your belly button, and about three inches back in (more in my case...darn pastries...). In Oriental medicine, this is very important, and believe me, this WILL work if you remember it. You concentrate on that spot, and you breathe as relaxedly as possible, remembering that the air goes in through your nose. Picture it coiling down in that spot, and when you breathe out, picture it unravelling as you do so. You breathe in the good, and expell the old. This is also very energizing. When I did this, my eyes automatically opened. Unfortunately, I didn't remember to do it any of the other times. Good luck, and don't worry about it too much. I think what you have is called "Sleep Apnia". My mother was a nurse and told me about it. I've mostly gotten over it, and you probably will too.

I like what you're saying and want to believe it...

But if what everyone is saying is true why did it happen to me when I was really happy relaxed and rested?

When I was 26 I had a baby, started an access course when he was four months old (he had to go on my lap until the college creche could take him at six months) then went to university full-time when he was 15 months old - and he didn't sleep through until he was 2 1/2 yrs old - looked after a home (did ALL the cooking, cleaning, shopping, budgeting, paying bills) and worked 20 hours a week in the evenings and got all my assignments in on time and moved house and went through a marriage breakdown and still got a 2-1 and NOTHING happened to me at all apart from a bout of depression and exhaustion (no kidding!). Now my kid was picking up stuff all the time at creche and doing all the usual things so on top of everything else I was cleaning up sick, taking temperatures, wiping leaky poo, and once when I had one of my most important assignments and a presentation to do both my son AND my husband both caught chicken-pox and I had to look after them both and work and do all the rest!

Will someone please please explain how 'stress' is the key to these things because if I was going to have hallucinations based on stress and lack of sleep it was going to be when I was 26 and older and I've had ZILCH...!!!!!

Why did it happen during one of the most irresponsible stressfree periods of my life? My brother-in-law said he also was suffering no stress or lack of sleep. Isn't it simplifying things to say 'it's stress and lack of sleep'?

What if it's these things that can allow other experiences to manifest? Yes, I know I sound like a nutter but when I read other people's explanations that sound very safe and reassuring and logical it just doesn't fit with the facts. Isn't it easier to have an experience and then look back and say 'oh, well, I suppose I was tired and stressed'. Who isn't?:confused:

We all get tired and stressed everyday but people don't have these experiences at REAL moments of stress like lack of sleep after having a baby, or in the months following losing a job or getting divorced, etc. It's all so tenuous when we can all look back and say 'well...yes...I suppose I was feeling tense...' I definitely think it's the other way around. You're tired so you're more responsive. I'd rather I was wrong so persuade me otherwise (examples of REAL stress may persuade me) please and I would be very grateful indeed.:confused:

Back