• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Perhaps the other people there were other kids who'd gone there as a dare. Maybe they saw you, and decided to give you a scare with the singing and chanting?

Mythopoeika said:
Perhaps the other people there were other kids who'd gone there as a dare. Maybe they saw you, and decided to give you a scare with the singing and chanting?
Any person or kids that go up there at that time of night are mad... :shock: ..... earl....

AFAIK we already have a more detailed thread about Clophill or it was a thread about weird places. I could write more but have done already, dunno if I can find it, will try.
Yeah, it's even called Clophill:

link removed as threads merged - stu

Maybe you can search for some stuff before posting to see if it has been covered, as most has been covered on this forum.

Well spotted, Dingo - merged them now. Thought it rang a bell.

And yes, Earl - we've threads on many topics here. Just use Search.

stuneville said:
Well spotted, Dingo - merged them now. Thought it rang a bell.

And yes, Earl - we've threads on many topics here. Just use Search.
Ok skipper all taken on board , .... earl......

Pretty notorious place, even has a wiki entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clophill_Church

However here is an interesting link - http://www.wiccantradition.org.uk/paraclop.html

It turned out, the Black wooden box was a battery operated slide projector, he had placed it up in the bell tower and angled it to shine into the ruins of the church. The sheer cunning hadn't finished there, he had rigged the projector to work from a remote control. The remote control allowed him to change the slide, fade the image in and out and turn the whole lot on and off from a distance of more than 100 feet.

He had briefly flashed across the wall a hooded monk like figure, this is what had scared the teenagers.After this we were never to have another serious attempt at a ghost hunt on this site, however we did go back on many occasions to scare brave teenagers.

Make of that what you will :shock:

There have been suggestions that a modern day Templar group was responsible, the church is dedicated to St Mary which has Templar links and the Templars had a lot of property in the area, but I think that it is unlikely. So much is attributed to the Templars that it seems that you could attribute practically anything to them.

Only just read this thread and had never heard of Clophill before today. However, from what I've read on the Internet the church was dedicated to St Mary the Virgin i.e. the mother of Jesus, whereas my understanding is that the Knights Templar* were more concerned with St Mary Magdalene Jesus' follower/wife/lover/whatever.

* I'm no expert on the Templars btw so I may be wrong.

St Marys Old Church at Clophill is just a couple of miles from me in the new place here in Flitwick.
I will go up there for a mooch about at some point.
It does have many tales of spooky goings-ons around it.
It was very run down and difficult to access for many years, having become considerably overgrown, but a local heritage trust has smartened it up now.
And when my mates had their rock band back in the 90s they went there to get some photographs for 'promo' work because of the spooky atmos.
They found the place rather unsettling.
And noises in the lane outside which sounded like 2 people riding past slowly on horses and upon investigation there were no horses to be seen.
1679229633937.png

1679230212700.png

Back