• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cloudy Star/Planet?

Crankyoldgit62

Devoted Cultist
Morning, just 10 minutes ago,I was outside our house putting bins out and the Moon was in quarter. I saw a star or planet with a cloud around it!! The sky was clear and I could see the rest of the stars and they were bright. I wear glasses and even checked them and when I looked at the Moon and star, without my glasses on I could still see the cloud, though blurry. Any clues??? Cheers.

I doubt it was anything unusual, just as you say a star or planet. It's not clear from your description, but I'm guessing you saw it either through cloud, or through a gap in the clouds. Either way any astronomical objects are visible across most of the earth. Anything unusual will be noted and reported by the tens of thousands of amateur astronomers, or at least by the dozens if not hundreds who witness it.

BakeliteB

Hiya Bakelite, there was no cloud as I could see the other stars but it could've been a small rogue cloud but it would've made the Moon cloudy.

Morning, just 10 minutes ago,I was outside our house putting bins out and the Moon was in quarter. I saw a star or planet with a cloud around it!! The sky was clear and I could see the rest of the stars and they were bright. I wear glasses and even checked them and when I looked at the Moon and star, without my glasses on I could still see the cloud, though blurry. Any clues??? Cheers.

Could you possibly describe this in a bit more detail? I.e. how large was the cloud around the star/planet - did it extend for quite a distance, compared to the star/planet (and was it fuzzy/randomly shaped like a cloud), or was it localised as just a small 'ring' around it?

Did it look anything like the halos you see around the moon on a frosty night:

1543854956729.png

Morning, it was not as bright as the photo of the Moon. It was more muted,what caused me to look clearly,was that it was clear with no cloud.

I was out about ten minutes after your original post and saw what I presume was Venus at approximately the 7 o'clock position from the moon. Didn't notice any cloud though, but it was definitely an eye catching sight.

Back