• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Clowns: Evil Or Funny?

Clowns: Evil or funny?

• Clowns are evil and out to get you

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Clowns are funny and out to entertain you

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Clowns are sad blokes trying to make a living

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Clowns are a national institution - how dare you imply that they are sinister in any way

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
Dunno about the van man. I think it was a carnival. We wanted beer. Only one seat left in the garden and they were both on it so asked to join them. Stayed for a while. Top sorts.
That's nice to know .. I sometimes worry that all this clown hysteria bullshit is going to harm their business.

Wiltshire Police ‏@wiltshirepolice 2h2 hours ago
Our statement in relation to the 'clown craze' -

CuZjoppWcAAnKNZ.jpg

Clown sighting rumors at Cobb high school unconfirmed by officials

After rumors of a clown sighting early Friday afternoon, parents of students at Campbell High School received an email clarifying that the school is not on lockdown.

"We are aware that there is information on social media, and discussion among students, that there have been threats made against Cobb Schools," the letter, signed by principal Jeanne Walker, said. "At this time, we have found no credible evidence that these threats are real or immediate.

The letter, which said "students who pass along erroneous information are assisting in creating a frightened and anxiety filled atmosphere," did not mention clowns.

But, a video posted on Twitter shows someone in a clown costume jumping over fences at the school and chasing what looks like students, many of whom ran away screaming. A backpack appears to be thrown at the "clown" before the "clown" is tackled moments later. ...

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/clown...unconfirmed-officials/NHKC6lbaLFMVglTZKQmrHK/

'Killer Clowns' Now Targets of Violence
Clown sightings began as an amusing phenomenon, but have become increasingly dangerous – mostly to the clowns themselves

Hoax. Marketing ploy. Prank. Criminal intent. A country inundated with random acts of racial and religious a violence for years – currently considering a presidential candidate whose platform is built on fear – is now plagued by an assault of… creepy clowns?

It all started on August 21st, when a child in South Carolina told his mom that he saw a clown lingering along the wooded area near their home. The boy's older brother claimed the clown was rattling chains against their door, though their mother never saw a thing. But their Greenville apartment complex quickly became a hotspot for clown sightings. Soon, more children claimed the clowns tried to lure them into the woods. No one found any physical evidence of a clown, though, and adults believed the panic was nothing more than their imaginations. But a few days later, 17-year-old Caden Parmalee posted a now-viral video of a clown lingering in the woods near his Florida home – and all of a sudden there were sightings up and down the East Coast. Since the initial stories, there have been dozens of reports of creepy clowns.

In his 1981 book Mysterious America, cryptozoologist Loren Coleman coined the phrase "Phantom Clown Theory," which refers to the way a few sightings of clowns 'luring' children into vans, cars and forests can turn into mass hysteria – even though no clowns are ever actually caught. He says that, though this phenomenon has existed for over 30 years, the recent spate has become worse because of social media. ...

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/killer-clowns-now-targets-of-violence-w443988

Here is someone who claims that they have been dressing up as a clown in order to frighten people as a jolly jape for years and is complaining about the craze as it gives the "real" prank clowns a bad name.

Matteo says that one couple who fell victim to his prank phoned the police. From their point of view, they had just witnessed someone dressed as a clown kill a victim and then chase after them.

Hilarious.:rolleyes: I am pretty sure you have given yourself a bad name pal.

Here is someone who claims that they have been dressing up as a clown in order to frighten people as a jolly jape for years and is complaining about the craze as it gives the "real" prank clowns a bad name.

Matteo says that one couple who fell victim to his prank phoned the police. From their point of view, they had just witnessed someone dressed as a clown kill a victim and then chase after them.

Hilarious.:rolleyes: I am pretty sure you have given yourself a bad name pal.
Outdone by even more scarier clowns. Poor guy. No honor in the scary clown business?

They're even talking about Killer Clowns on the Classic FM news. Apparently the Met are stepping up patrols over Halloween to "reassure the public". They also featured an indignant young lady who claimed sighting a clown had triggered a panic attack.

Bad fad.
Such a lazy rehashing of so many late 20th century "scary" shortcuts. Ooooh, clowns are scary, oooh, Edwardian dolls are scary. Ooooh, any slow music box or harpsichord tune is scary. Oooohh, articulate wide-eyed children, or worse, gangs with twins, are building on the fine work of "Village of the "Damned." But poorly.
Perhaps this was all tingly in the late 60's, but even the theramin waltzes in an old "Midsommer. . . " rerun are more fun than these fads.
Unseen ghosts are scary. Seen ghosts are scary. Abandoned piles and ruins and even extant Art Deco institutions with manifestations are scary. Manors, ruined or not, with screaming skulls are scary. Moans in a wood are scary. Pale hitchhikers are real. Trains and planes and cars sighted on anniversaries are scary.
sigh Guess I'm sort of a fundamentalist when it comes to scares. It's nearly Hallowe'en

Hm. In any other context a masked/disguised assailant jumping out to frighten and assault someone is considered antisocial or criminal.

A big smiley face, baggy trousers and a bobo nose and we're supposed to somehow consider it's not an assault. :BS:

Sure. I can't take a joke. Let's say that.

I doubt it's the case that anyone who dresses in a clown costume and sets out to humiliate and/or scare some regular person going about their business, is a f*cked up weirdo who gets their kicks from humiliating and scaring people but needs to hide behind a mask to do it.

Oh wait. They are. :rolleyes:

'Make my day'.

I had a work email two days ago warning that there are likely to be 'people dressed as clowns' jumping out on people around the hospital on Friday.

I pity any poor fucker who tries that crap on me.

But how much of this is actually happening and how much is a bandwagon of a "scary" meme that is now turning into mass hysteria? Is it any coincidence it's being used as a media distraction and respite from the current political turmoil?

Nice little summary here
http://heavy.com/news/2016/10/clown...cities-states-which-were-real-fake-sightings/
A lot of these are threats and hoaxes made on social media; others are arrests for hoaxed sightings.

But around eleven involve actual people arrested while wearing, or in possession of, masks; some of these were masked robberies, which may have happened anyway even if there were no scary-clown-meme on the loose. There were no arrests of child-snatching clowns, or clowns that attacked children in any physical way.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, very telling. Why, it's as if some people like making up porkies to freak others out. I wonder what the psychological mechanism behind that is? More importantly, why are they so widely believed?

It seems that there is an increasing trend for teenagers dressing up to freak people out; but I suspect that most of these events are occuring because they are filming themselves to put the film on social media.

Take a look at the many YouTube clips of 'clowns' being beaten up. They are all too good to be true; they are often filmed by the person doing the beating, or even by the clowns themselves. Yes; these are fakes, meant to be spread around- if an innocent bystander sees them while they are making these clips, then bingo- you've got another report.

Back