• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Clowns spotted acting suspiciously in Northampton (UK)

mrpoultice

Fen-dwelling Slodger
I've run into 2 mentions of this story this morning, I'll add the other link when I find it again. Coulrophobics of Northamptonshire, should be very afraid it seems...

Police warning after clowns spotted acting suspiciously in Northampton
by Callum Jones
Published on the13 September 2013

The police are trying to track two teenagers dressed as clowns who have been spotted acting suspiciously in Northampton.

A woman who lives in Milton Street, Kingsley, called the police yesterday after two teenagers, who had their faces covered in make-up, knocked on her door and offered to paint her window sills.

The woman became suspicious of the pair, described as aged between 15 and 17 years old, as they had no painting equipment with them.

The teenagers are described as having faces which were covered with a large amount of white paint. They were also wearing clown costumes.

A number of sightings of people dressed as clowns have also been reported across Northampton in recent weeks.

Pictures have been posted on Facebook showing a variety of people dressed as clowns in different locations in the town.

It is not known if the pictures posted on Facebook have anything to do with the two young men seen in Kingsley.

Source Northampton Chronical & Echo

Edit: Found the other story. It seems we have a person dressed as clown going out of their way to be creepy.

Spooky clown mystery grips Northampton
Written by Steve Scoles.

A spooky clown has been scaring Northampton residents in full costume and make up.

He is red haired and white faced and has appeared in several locations in the Abington and Kingsley areas.

A Facebook page has now been set up for the clown called Spot Northampton's Clown which has already achieved over 3,000 likes since it went live yesterday.

The clown has proved a sensation on social media and has its own Twitter hashtag #northamptonclown.

According to reports it has knocked on someone's door and offered to paint their sills despite having no painting equipment.

Let us know if you see it too. Here are some Tweets about the clown so far:

Had to look out my window to check for a clown. No clown. Phew. #clownwatch #northamptonclown
— Matthew Whitehouse (@matt_whitehouse) September 13, 2013

Source Northamton Herald & Post

There are a couple of photos floating round on Reddit and Facebook, but I've no way of knowing if they are of the same thing/clown/person.

This photo was posted to the R/UK section of Reddit this morning, by someone who claimed they saw it while out last night!

Mr P

ALL clowns act suspciously, if you ask me... :twisted:

gncxx said:
Are the Juggalos in town?
They haven't figured out magnets, so airplanes to get to the UK are probably out of the question.

Not funny: Creepy clown lingers on streets of Northampton in middle of the night

When you go out to East Midlands today, you’re sure of a big surprise.

An unnerving, anonymous clown has sent shivers down the spines of Northampton residents by lingering on street corners in full fancy dress, for the second night running.

It reportedly first appeared on Friday 13th and was spotted again yesterday, under the cloak of darkness on Cedar Road in the north-east of the city.

With its white face, drawn-on brows, a red wig and ruffled collar, it is a carbon copy of the Pennywise clown from Stephen King-inspired 1990 horror film, IT.

The scary apparition-like sight has also been seen standing on a pavement waving with a teddy hanging between its fingers in its other hand.

The minor celebrity now even has its own Facebook page which poses the question ‘Can you spot me around Northants?’

The clown has ruffled social media users, one of whom said: ‘I am simultaneously fascinated and petrified by the idea of the #northamptonclown.’

Another said: ‘Seriously what’s this thing about a clown in Northampton standing outside houses with balloons #scared #northamptonclown.’

The clown also knocked on a stranger’s door and offered to paint their window sills despite having no equipment, the Northampton Herald & Post reported.

The lonely clown has said in its Facebook group, which now has over 5,000 likes, ‘I don’t terrorise people I just want to be spotted.’

However, that hasn’t allayed the fears of one Facebook user who said: ‘You’ve been spotted now get out of the clown suit and start acting like a grown up that you supposing are and stop scaring people as some people do have real fears of clowns and you are terrorising them despite what you may say.’

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/15/not-funny ... t-4012455/

New Northampton clown sighting in town centre

The Northampton clown has appeared for the third night in a row with a new picture on his Facebook page showing him in the town centre.

The clown is in his trademark ill fitting blue suit with a florid yellow shirt on Abington Street in front of the Cobbler's Last statue outside the Grosvenor Centre.

It is nighttime and no-one else appears in the picture. He also posted the following message:

"Beep Beep! Didn't think i'd be seen tonight. Extremely quiet but there were a few of you who saw. See you all around."

Did you see the Northampton clown tonight? Let us know...
http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/Ne ... 092013.htm

Northampton’s mysterious clown trends on Twitter as story goes viral around the world

Northampton now has another claim to fame as sightings of a mysterious clown around the town have gripped social media and the internet.

A Facebook page has been created and thousands of people have followed the story on Twitter setting up the hashtag #northamptonclown.

The hashtag was trending on Twitter on Sunday as more and more people tweeted about the strange sightings of the clown. Comedian Alan Carr, one of Northampton’s famous sons, got involved at one point, expressing his incredulation about the story. The official X Factor account also commented to its 3,900,000 followers: “We’ll be honest... we’re actually watching the repeat for any signs of the #northamptonclown. *shivers*”. Northampton Saints skipper Dylan Hartley commented: “Only in Northampton” before posting a picture of his team-mate Paul Diggin with the tweet: “WARNING: managed to crop and enlarge the clowns face”.

Chron sports editor Jeremy Casey pitched in with: “Shouldn’t the #northamptonclown be the ‘Northampton Cleyn’? #northamptoncleyn”

The clown’s Facebook page now has more than 13,000 likes as people gave differing views on his actions.

Earler today the clown posted: “Too much hate not enough love . No, i don’t have a knife on me!, thats just stupid rumours spread by stupid people. I’m also ‘not’ on twitter as it confuses the heck out of me. However, i might go for a jog around that pond in Abington park later as i’m really unfit... See you around! Beep Beep!”

Earlier he posted: “To prove i’m real to all the lovers and doubters, i’ll see you in town today. Keep those eyes peeled”.

The phenonemon started on Friday when the Chron first reported on two teenagers acting suspiciously dressed as clowns. It quickly spread as social media users reported seeing another appearing at random locations across the town.

So far the clown has been seen on St Michael’s Road and Cedar Road. Social media users have also started to create their own images of Northampton’s clown and others have given their theory on why the clown is appearing.
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/ ... -1-5492914

Northampton clown unmasked? New clues emerge as roaming prankster terrifies town

He may be dividing opinion but the Northampton clown has at least brought a fair bit of (nervous) excitement to the East Midlands town these last few days. And we now may be a step closer to uncovering his true identity.

The menacing enigma has been loitering the streets since Friday September 13 and has whipped up a social media frenzy following reported ‘sightings’ in the north-east of the town and again last night in its centre.

The clown’s anonymity has been something of a talking point, with many attempting to guess who could be responsible for his freaky kerbside activities.

A video posted on YouTube in May shows a short film entitled The Local Clown, which was shot in Northampton.

The witty mockumentary follows the life of a morose clown called Richard and was written and directed by filmmaker Alex Powell.

Local newspaper the Northampton Herald & Post has speculated that this could, indeed, be the Northampton clown, but while the protagonist clown is wearing the same outfit as the #Northamptonclown of late, his make-up and features are somewhat different.

However, it does also appear to show the same blue-doored car garage that the clown was pictured outside on Friday.

Mr Powell has been quick to refute the claims that he is behind the stunt, declaring on YouTube: ‘Theres been lots of rumours that I’m the ‘Northampton Clown’ but I am NOT! But thanks for all the interest as its shot my views right up :) And I don’t live in Northampton anymore.’

However, the filmmaker posted a very telling photograph of a Pennywise (from Stephen King 1990 horror adaptation, IT) costume on his profile late last year.

The clown has created smiles and quivers for the last three nights, and even has his own self-managed Facebook page, which has garnered over 25,000 likes.

His most recent post, this morning, denied claims that he was knocking on houses and admitted that if it gets too much for people he will gladly stop.

‘I “haven’t” been knocking on houses and asking to paint window sills!? I may have to change my appearance as the actor in that Local Clown film has the same costume as me,’ he said.

‘If what i am doing does get too much for people, I will have to stop.’

Comedian Alan Carr replied on Twitter to someone asking if it was him: ‘No, but i’ve heard about it – WTF?!!! RT @Lawzy_J: @AlanCarr Are u the one going around northampton dresséd as a clown?? #Northamptonclown
http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/16/northampt ... n-4026613/

I genuinely can't think of a cultural reference that paints clowns in a positive light any more!

My wife's dad was a clown and regrettably fit the stereotype in that he hated kids. In fact, my wife tells me he would actually nip kids that annoyed him!

Anyway, it's interesting to see that these particular clowns have been identified as 'teenagers'. Normally, part of clowns' sinister back story is that they are creepy old men...

It's all very creepy. Maybe some kind of student stunt? (I'll keep hoping it's that :( )

Northampton...Alan Moore....Stewart Lee!
I really want it to be Stewart Lee - he'd make scary clowns fun again.

I'm not sure if I can see Lee being mistaken for a 15 to 17 year-old these days. Or offering to paint window-sills. Not without a camera-crew along.

He did, once upon a time, make an alarmingly pleasing Jesus.

Aware I'm showing my age by wishing those two would get together again . . . :)

Not Jesus, silly, the other one!

I must confess, I thought it sounded super-cool until I learnt that the clown has his own facebook page. boring now.

latest.gif

World Exclusive: Northampton Clown talks to the Chron about his appearances

The mysterious Northampton Clown has spoken out for the first time to reveal the truth about his appearances in the town.

People across the world have been gripped by the story of the clown since pictures emerged online of him standing in various locations around the town, looking similar to the Pennywise character from the cult Stephen King film, It.

In an exclusive interview with the Northampton Chronicle & Echo, the Clown said he could understand why people had been “extremely frightened” by him but he insisted his exploits were intended in good humour.

The clown, who wants to keep his real identity anonymous, said: “I just wanted to amuse people.

“Most people enjoy being a bit freaked out and then they can laugh about it afterwards.

“It’s like watching a horror movie, when people get scared they usually start laughing.

“Naturally, some people would have been extremely frightened by what they saw, but I hope many are starting to see it as a bit of harmless fun.”

The Northampton Clown said he was “absolutely amazed” by the reaction to his appearances in the town and was pleased that he had got so many people talking about Northampton.

As many people have suspected, due to the fact his clown costume resembles Pennywise from the film It, the Northampton Clown has admitted to being a Stephen King fan.

During conversations he regularly made references to the 1990 horror movie.

He also said it was proving to be “more difficult to keep his identity a secret” as people were working out where he lived.

However, the clown said he intended to keep appearing in the town “for as long as people are interested” and he may even start holding a particular “clown” day every week.
Northampton Chronicle

And in Carrickfergus.

Carrickfergus 'killer clown' turns himself in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24295046
Carrick Clown meme

The Carrick 'Killer Clown' has been causing a stir among people in the town

A clown has turned himself in to the police after alarm was raised among frightened parents in County Antrim.

Police issued an alert after a complaint was made that two men were acting suspiciously near secondary schools in Carrickfergus.

Mysterious pictures online of a clown and a balaclava-wearing sidekick have caused a stir in the town.

The police appeal caused a backlash on social media from some people who felt they were cracking down on fun.

'Frightening'
Police said they started an investigation after receiving reports from parents that their children were frightened of the clown.

A police officer wrote on the PSNI Newtownabbey and Carrickfergus Facebook page: "Fun is fun but frightening school pupils is another."

The mystery man, who calls himself the Carrick "Killer Clown", contacted the police following the appeal to apologise for any distress.

"He assures me that this was a prank and it was not his intention in any way to frighten the school pupils or cause distress," the officer wrote.

"He fully appreciates the sensitivities of schools and photographs etc in the area of any school."

'Distasteful and unfunny'
Carrick Killerclowns outside Carrickfergus PSNI station
The Carrick 'Killer Clown' and his sidekick were pictured outside the police station
Speaking to BBC Radio Ulster's Evening Extra programme the clown said he had been sent messages from people concerned about their children.

"That wasn't the aim. The aim was for a bit of fun. I'm a parent myself," he said.

"We thought this was a wonderful idea - to go and get this picture and it was only when somebody voiced their concern I was like 'this is actually wrong, this isn't even funny'.

"I was talking to the police officer in charge again. I offered to go to the schools and apologize to the heads, obviously in my plain clothes, and he spoke to the heads on my behalf and they were happy with the apology through the police. So hopefully the parents will get that relayed to them."

Earlier, a post on Carrick Killer Clowns' Facebook page read: "Due to the mixed response to the school pictures they have been removed - this whole thing is supposed to be a laugh and some parents find this distasteful and unfunny."

However, they later posted a picture of themselves standing outside the police station in Carrickfergus

A clown unmasked.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...-powell_n_4094448.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Northampton Clown Unmasked As Alex Powell Documentary Filmmaker And University ­Student

Huffington Post UK | By Chris York Posted: 13/10/2013 - 14/10/2013

Rejoice fearful reader for the Northampton clown is not a menacing supernatural apparition or potential balloon-based murderer - he is but a man!

Alex Powell to be precise, a documentary filmmaker and Northampton University ­student.

After terrifying Northampton, the UK and the globe with his sinisterly forlorn and ever so unhumorous clowning antics, his identity has at last been revealed.

Powell was spotted entering a house just off the busy shopping area of Wellingborough Road with two accomplices.

He emerged from the flat around an hour and a half later, after the all clear was given by his friends, he walked a short distance to the car park, posed for a few pictures taken by his friends on their phones.

Powell, 22, had previously denied being the clown.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1404398/thumbs/o-CLOWN-570.jpg

The little fibber

But he was forced to confess to journalists working for the Sunday People that he was indeed the Northampton clown.

He said: "OK, I am the clown but I’ve been trying to keep it as ­mysterious as possible. To be discreet so people didn’t find out.

"Your pictures are from the day I went to meet a little girl who only has six months to live.

"Her mum messaged me saying she really wants to meet you before she dies. I took a picture with her and gave her a clown teddy and stuff."

So there it is folks, he's not a terrifying monster likely to be found under your bed, he's actually quite a nice guy...

Mystery Clown migrates to Lincolnshire.

It seems the (now unmasked) Mystery Clown of Northamptonshire, has a Lincolnshire copycat (copyclown?)

Have you seen the spooky ‘Lincolnshire clown’ in Boston?

Published on the
20 November
11:54

A mysterious person sporting a clown costume is said to have been spotted cross Lincolnshire, including a suggested sighting in Boston.

The Lincolnshire Clown has a Facebook page and appears to be a copycat of a craze that took off in Northampton earlier this year - where a man popped up across the area dressed as a spooky clown, looking similar to the Pennywise character from the cult Stephen King film, It.

The mystery sparked national attention before the man behind the mask was eventually unveiled as a fun-loving student.

As well as ‘Boston and Wyberton’ reports suggest clown-spottings have occurred in Hykeham, Waddington and Market Rasen.

Have you seen the ‘clown’ in Boston? Or is someone just juggling rumours? Post your comments below or email [email protected].

Source Boston Standard

This now seems to be becoming a "thing" I wonder what the next step is?
Mr P

I hope this isn't the start of an infestation.

Send in the police after clowns spotted

POLICE have investigated two reports from members of the public concerned about people wearing clown masks in Normanton near Wakefield.

Normanton Neighbourood Policing Team (NPT) said two calls were received on Tuesday night.

A Normanton NPT spokesman wrote on Facebook: “Officers were deployed in Normanton but no clowns were seen. It appears that rumours are spreading via Facebook, but the NPT would like to reassure local residents that no clowns have been seen... and there have been no crimes reported involving clowns.”

A statement on Rothwell NPT’s Facebook page states: “A number of people have contacted us with regards a rogue clown roaming the streets. This appears to relate to reports of a clown loitering the streets in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. Notts Police have stated that dressing like a clown is not considered a crime in itself unless the clown is also intimidating people.”

Yorkshire Evening Pest

Fifty years ago seeing a clown in the streets would have provoked laughter and delight and thoughts that the circus was in town. Now look at the reaction.

ruffready said:
Where am I ?? lol!! I for got how to navigate this place help!!
Quick! Somebody grab him, before he heads back out to Titan.

Welcome back, anyway! :lol:

Too many people clowning around...

Police warning over clown craze

Police say they are getting reports from the public who are being approached by clowns as part of a craze that is sweeping across the East Midlands at this time.

A spokesperson said: “Please make any potential would be clowns aware that Lincolnshire Police will take any reports of anti-social behaviour seriously especially where occurrences intimidate, harass or frighten members of the public.

“Should you have any sightings of clowns in your neighbourhood, please contact our Force Control Room on Tel: 101.”
http://www.louthleader.co.uk/news/local ... -1-5707782

Only a matter of time before we have headlines about a, Zombie Clown Invasion.

But zombies are actually popular these days...

Back