• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

CNN & UFO coverage.

J_Frank_Parnell said:
Come on, spill the beans. How do you know?
Unfortunately I know that there are no aliens in the sky because that is the truth.
All reports of UFOs are caused by
Misidentified or currently unknown natural phenonena
Misidentified or unidentified manmade phenomena
Poor recollection on the part of the witness
Medical conditions and delusions (quite rare, actually, but they do happen)
Deliberate hoaxes and deliberate falsehoods.

Of course, my alternate position mentioned above would also allow for the existence of insane or post-intelligent extraterrestrials, but I tend to regard that as a reducio ad absurdam rather than a true opinion. If we were being watched by insane aliens, I would not be particularly happy about the situation. But then again, the universe des not necessarily arrange things to make me (or anyone else) happy.

Incidentally I still think that UFOs are a valid subject for investigation, especially for Fortean investigation, because the fact that human perceptions can be fooled so comprehensively is a fascinating phenomenon.

well, this thread certainly ran off the rails.

Philo_T said:
well, this thread certainly ran off the rails.
Indeed.

I would like to remind Posters that personal attacks are not on.

People are perfectly welcome to express their opinions about UFOs, whether they believe in their existence, or not. They are not free to make gratuitous comments about those who express contrary opinions.

Before the Believers/Unbelievers begin to draw arms against each other, I'd recommend you consider these points ...

There has been billions of words written on the existence of UFO's, by experts of varying qualification and relevance.
You can trawl the internet for any amount of 'evidence' to support any theory. This pre-supposes the veracity of whatever you've read on the internet.
It is perfectly acceptable to declare your own beliefs on the subject of UFO's. However, it is entirely erroneous to declare your beliefs are true without question. It is Fortean and good reasoning to question.
If the existence of UFO's as being alien spacecraft was provable beyond doubt, it'd have been publicised long ago.

Oh, and quite insane ranting doesn't persuade anyone of the truth or validity of a theory. If anything, just the opposite.

Well, in taking this positon(or rather pair of positions, since I hold two mutually exclusive opinions) I was hoping to get some of the information out there laid on the table. It makes me spitting mad that the Disclosure Project can expect people to pay to read their evidence, which is of very variable quality (from what I can gather). So by taking a provocative stand I was hoping to obtain some of this information to argue against. But in the event the argument has mostly been on the logical validity of my position, which I am the first to admit is not a logical but rather an emotional argument.

Back