• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

At work I often pick up pens which come in handy for doing crosswords. Recently I've been using an orange felt-tip. It's started running out so I was please d to find another, almost identical. Today I spotted another which turned out to be an orange paintbrush, or a make-up brush, not sure.
So I now have three orange items. One writes well, one writes poorly and the other doesn't write at all. :chuckle:

Last Friday I was sitting in my front room and it was precipitating down pretty hard. I suddenly heard a load of water pouring in through the roof. I went up to have a look and found water dripping in at the join with next door. It is behind where the boiler is and it seems unlikely I would have noticed it on a normal roof check. The noise was caused by the water falling on a piece of polystyrene which just so happened to be under the exact spot where the water was coming in. I phoned the roofer who said he was busy for the next two weeks. I said I'd put a bucket under and wait but he said he could pop over for a quick look in the afternoon. Less than 2 hours later he was there, had a quick look and found it was just some clogged flashing which he quickly unclogged.

So lucky I was there, the polystyrene was there and it was an easy fix that got done straight away. :cool:

Having been shit on a few times by seagulls over the years I'd hardly call it a blessing from above. It never ceases to amaze me just how much comes out the rear end of a seagull.
Recently at Holyhead I was chatting out in the open with a colleague when a gull started circling us.
I waved a fist and shouted 'Don't you dare!' :chuckle:

It's like I can read their minds. :cool:

Be careful or people will think this is you.

old-woman.jpg

I have only spoken to the village window cleaner twice once about 10 years back and tonight, both times to tell him his car had been hit on the club car park, not by me by the way, he will be thinking I am a harbinger of doom

Me too! The thing is they can mean whatever you want them to. My friend who is a Born again fundamentalist Christian sees them as handy hints from Jesus. I take them in a 'oh wow, that was neat, nice one Universe' sort of way. Some are more convincing than others and some are somewhat more meaningful but all are intriguing.

I was watching an old episode of Cracker (The Big Crunch) recently where the phrase 'all flesh is grass' was used a few times. I'd never heard it before. The next morning i heard it being used in a sports podcast i was listening to.

Just now I was reading an old Guardian article about the murder of Lucy Partington by Fred and Rose West, written by her cousin Martin Amis.

When darkness met light

I also have the TV playing The Real Manhunter wherein former Detective Chief Inspector Colin Sutton describes how the police dealt with various murders over the 30 years of his career.

The episode is about Sally Lawrence whose husband murdered her by crashing their car with her in it.

There is a detailed discussion of the progress of different types of car crashes and the effects of collisions, illustrated by film of crash test process.
Anyway... during that TV sequence I was reading this paragraph -
The death of Lucy Partington represents a fantastic collision (collide: "from col- 'together' + laedere 'to strike'"). It is what happens when darkness meets light, when experience meets innocence, when the false meets the true, when utter godlessness meets purity of spirit

Can recommend the article.

The In-House GP saw a chap yesterday who was complaining about a swollen testicle. The same patient returned today to see IHGP who gave him a thorough once-over (yesterday was NOT the time for thorough!) and diagnosed prostatitis, which is apparently pretty uncommon. He wanted to prescribe ciprofloxacin but recalled reading the use of -floxacins was being discouraged due to deleterious side effects. So he sent a message through to Micro at the hospital and after an hour or so received the reply that for prostatitis, ciprofloxacin was still the antibiotic of choice. Not long afterwards he got one of his regular emails from Red Whale (a GP learning newsletter) also telling him that ciprofloxacin was still okay to prescribe for that one unusual presentation. "Spooky," he said to me.

Ooooh, another!
Watching Vera this time. Our eponymous heroine is asking where her assistant Aidan is, and another Aidan has 'spotted' a humorous local news item and posted it on Facebook.

Yet another Aidan is a close relation of mine. :thought:

My floor standing bedroom fan had a flimsy base. Someone kindly offered to strengthen it but when it came back with its lovely sturdy new stand it was missing the pole that connected the base to the turny bit at the top.

As the mender couldn't find the part I considered using a piece of 1" dowelling to replace it.
However, last week I found a piece of chromed metal piping lying on the ground next to the Morrisons supermarket in Milton Keynes.
Picked it up and bore it off back up North where after a wash and a little persuasion it fitted the fan perfectly.

So a bit of discarded metal was exactly what I needed to fix my fan.
Incidentally I measured the width of the piping with my ruler tattoo. It comes in useful every day.

Back