Coincidences

mummyknave

Devoted Cultist
Did you actually count, or are you using 18,000 the way that some people (like me) use "bazillion" for a random large number? (This is not intended as a rudely skeptical question, I'm just trying to clarify things.)
When younger I sometimes played solitaire for hours and the longer I played the more likely I was to win. I did my best to shuffle the cards well, but somehow over a series of games (not as many as you played), the cards seemed to become sorted in ways more favorable to winning.

Being a mechanic gives a good understanding of tangible things, but I think we need a mathematician to explain this one!
"18000" is just an estimate. It's probably a little conservative. I'd guess the actual number was between 15,000 and 30,000 but I didn't count.

In this case "mechanic" is a term for a person who performs parlour tricks with cards. Specifically I can shuffle the cards to make them come up in a desired order. I was not "stacking' these that I won. Even if I did it subconsciously it simply wouldn't have much effect on my chances of winning.

"Hospital solitaire is a simple game. You pull cards off the bottom of the deck and spread them in a fan on top one at a time. If the 4th card is the same number as the first all four cards are removed. If it's the same suit then the two cards in between are removed. Go through the entire deck comparing the last card from the bottom to the 4th card back in the fan removing cards the same way. A "win" is when you have no cards at all left.

It "seems" like an easy game to win but is very difficult. My math was never quite good enough to actually compute the odds but I'm guessing it's on the order of 1: 6,000 give or take.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Thanks for explaining the game, and what kind of mechanic you actually are. I was completely unfamiliar with that type of solitaire and that definition of mechanic. I want to try the game now, though I don't expect to win!

mummyknave

Devoted Cultist
Thanks for explaining the game, and what kind of mechanic you actually are. I was completely unfamiliar with that type of solitaire and that definition of mechanic. I want to try the game now, though I don't expect to win!
I should have mentioned that if you take only two out because of the same suit then you again compare the end card with the one four back so you can take out remove more than once with the same card. When you're done there should be no cards four apart that are the same suit or same number. It will feel natural after just a couple of games. Games go very fast.

mummyknave

Devoted Cultist
I never thought of this before but hospital solitair is probably one of the big reasons I taught myself to stack cards. The game is almost as much shuffling as it is playing and you need to be able to handle and manipulate cards in order to play it rapidly. There used to be a few famous mechanics when I was young who performed for TV. I'm not sure they were as good as they appeared (I never was) since their tricks may have been staged and trick photography.

It's not that hard to remember where a few cards are in the deck and order them. You need a good deck and practice.

I usually just tried to keep my cards at or near the top until I was ready to put them in order.

Oh, I do know a guy who can do the calculation. Mebbe I'll ask him one of these days. Try a game or two and you'll see why ordering (stacking) the cards isn't going to help. You'd have to be able to project 30 to 49 plays but how these change with each shuffle. Even if you just put the same top and bottom card your odds don't improve nearly enough to win three out of four.

I've always wanted to program a computer to play the game just to see what happens. It's simple enough it could play thousands of games a minute. It would be great for checking random number generators.

feen5

Justified & Ancient
I don't know if this should go here or in another section (if anyone can move it to a more suitable forum please do). I guess it depends on whether you think its a coincidence or a message from the other side. I don't know what to think myself.

My father passed away last December. Throughout his life he was always a very keen gardener, his flower beds and lawns were always immaculate and well looked after. This wasn't just a few plants and the odd shrub, by the way, this included growing roses up the entire front of a 2 storey house.

As well as that for many years we rarely had to buy vegetable's for 9 to 10 months of the year because he grew everything on allotments. This was enough veg for a family of 9 with a huge amount of variety. As we got older and left home the veg patch may have gotten smaller but it never dipped for both variety and amount, enough to keep my mum and dad in fresh veg nearly all year round.

Apologies for the long preamble but I think I needed it to explain how big a part of his life it was. Any way since he passed the garden was far to big for any of us to commit to, and definitely not for my Mum. As you can imagine though she was very reluctant to do anything as she thought Dad might not have liked to see it happen.

So any way she decided to 'ask' my dad in her prayers (she is fairly religious) if he would send her a sign to ask if it was ok to make the garden much more manageable for her or us to look after and she also got a Quote of €200 from a local handyman for the job. While my Dad's passion was gardening I can nearly say for certain that my mum had the same passion for Bingo. So after asking for a sign and then getting the Quote of €200 she won exactly €200 that Sunday night at the Bingo.

I don't know what to think of it, I'm probably a bit of an agnostic when it comes to these things but to see the relief on my Mum's face when she told us I can help but wonder if it really was a sign. I know she did agonise over the decision for quite a few months.

That's it, feel free to move this to a more relevant thread if you think its necessary.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I don't know if this should go here or in another section (if anyone can move it to a more suitable forum please do). I guess it depends on whether you think its a coincidence or a message from the other side. I don't know what to think myself.

My father passed away last December. Throughout his life he was always a very keen gardener, his flower beds and lawns were always immaculate and well looked after. This wasn't just a few plants and the odd shrub, by the way, this included growing roses up the entire front of a 2 storey house.

As well as that for many years we rarely had to buy vegetable's for 9 to 10 months of the year because he grew everything on allotments. This was enough veg for a family of 9 with a huge amount of variety. As we got older and left home the veg patch may have gotten smaller but it never dipped for both variety and amount, enough to keep my mum and dad in fresh veg nearly all year round.

Apologies for the long preamble but I think I needed it to explain how big a part of his life it was. Any way since he passed the garden was far to big for any of us to commit to, and definitely not for my Mum. As you can imagine though she was very reluctant to do anything as she thought Dad might not have liked to see it happen.

So any way she decided to 'ask' my dad in her prayers (she is fairly religious) if he would send her a sign to ask if it was ok to make the garden much more manageable for her or us to look after and she also got a Quote of €200 from a local handyman for the job. While my Dad's passion was gardening I can nearly say for certain that my mum had the same passion for Bingo. So after asking for a sign and then getting the Quote of €200 she won exactly €200 that Sunday night at the Bingo.

I don't know what to think of it, I'm probably a bit of an agnostic when it comes to these things but to see the relief on my Mum's face when she told us I can help but wonder if it really was a sign. I know she did agonise over the decision for quite a few months.

That's it, feel free to move this to a more relevant thread if you think its necessary.
Brilliant!
Can only add that last week I was ordering xmas presents and had to grudgingly pay extra postage which came to £30. Same day, I won £30 on t'lottery! The Universe likes to remind us when we've done the right thing.

IbisNibs

It's not that hard to remember where a few cards are in the deck and order them.
Maybe for you it's not! :omg:

I've always wanted to program a computer to play the game just to see what happens.
I hope you're able to do that someday. It sounds like it would generate some interesting outcomes.

IbisNibs

Throughout his life he was always a very keen gardener, his flower beds and lawns were always immaculate and well looked after. This wasn't just a few plants and the odd shrub, by the way, this included growing roses up the entire front of a 2 storey house.
Two storey roses, that sounds beautiful! He sounds like he was very special. My condolences to you and your family, especially your mother. It doesn't matter if a loved one is elderly or ill or not, it's always a shock when they go.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I was once explaining to a colleague how cold reading works, and had reached the bit where the 'mindreader' gets something wrong but is able to recover the situation with bullshit.

So I said, 'I could tell you that your mother's mother's name was, er, Muriel!' - this name belonging to a long-dead friend of my own mother's who popped into my head at that moment.

Instead of denying it, when I would say,'Ah! Of course, Muriel was her best friend!' or somesuch, he went white and sat down hard.

Muriel WAS his Nan's name, and as a bonus, she was also dead. As far as this poor bloke was concerned I was psychic and probably in league with the Devil as well!
Last night when looking up a coincidence I'd posted hereabouts regarding my brother Ivor, I noticed this one further down the page.
The bloke's mother, daughter of Muriel, was a local councillor and her death had been announced that very day.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Came across this very sad news item from June last year (2018).
Four motorcyclists from the Stoke area were killed in separate accidents in just over a week. Two died on the same day.
What an awful set of events.

Funerals this week for four bikers killed in crashes

The funeral dates of four bikers killed in crashes within the last month have been revealed.
This week, services will be held for Kendall Chadwick, Paul Rowley, Andrew Tunnicliff and Tony Dennis
Kendall Chadwick (aged 45) May 24th
Paul Rowley (aged 53) and Andrew Tunnicliff (aged 53) May 28th
Tony Dennis (aged 49) June 3rd

Terrible all round.

True, Stoke is a city so there will be lots of people having road accidents in and around it at any given time.
But these were four grown men, getting on for middle age, presumably going about their legal business and not road-racing or otherwise acting recklessly, being killed in unconnected incidents within ten days, two on the same day.