• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

And just now, while reading the 'Parerdolia' thread in IHTM as there is a new post in it, I've just seen Simon Sebag Montefiore's name crop up!

A triple Sebag Montefiore wins you the jackpot.

In the last couple of days our coffee machine and upstairs bog have broken down, costing us a fortune. Just now we were watching TV and those two things had also packed up in the programme.

Things do come in threes, don't they? On TV a bear had got into the garden, ooer.

In the last couple of days our coffee machine and upstairs bog have broken down, costing us a fortune. Just now we were watching TV and those two things had also packed up in the programme.

Things do come in threes, don't they? On TV a bear had got into the garden, ooer.
Watch out for a bear in your garden. Or a bare gardener.

This morning, around 8am-ish there was an ad for Corona featuring a really cool song by a band called Khruangbin (found out after a google search, I'd never heard of them before.)
About an hour later I dropped into my local WH Smith, and was looking at the free cd on this months Mojo, and there was a track by........Khruangbin!
I was in a laid-back mood while getting ready for work, so I decided to listen to some Khruangbin. I had to find my original quote to remember how to spell them.
On my way to work a short time later, someone had discarded a Corona box on a street bollard!

Today it's my day off and after a strenuous weekend fighting off a cold I spent some of it watching TV. A character was in a coma and another played a Tom Petty tune to him.

I thought there was a small coincidence there, that Tom Petty too ended up in a coma... anyway a bit later I had t'wireless on and in the music quiz Counterpoint there was a question about Tom Petty.

Just found this short but interesting little article by Rupert Sheldrake,

Thinking of Someone and Then Meeting Unexpectedly

In the course of my research on the unexplained human abilities, more than 150 people have told me about an experience that I had never before seen discussed. To their surprise, they thought about a friend or acquaintance for no particular reason, and then shortly afterward met that person. No one thinks it strange if he meets someone he was expecting to meet, or someone he encounters frequently. It is with unexpected meetings that the phenomenon is so striking. For example, Andreas Thomopoulos, a film director from Athens, was visiting Paris with his wife. "Walking through the streets, we thought of a close student friend of mine in London. We wondered how he was nowadays since I hadn't seen him for over twenty years. Shortly after, on going around a corner, we bumped straight into him!" Mary Flanagan, of Hoboken, New Jersey, had a similar experience: "Walking down the street, I was thinking of someone I had not seen or spoken to for three years and who lives in a different city. I met her on the street about ten minutes after I started thinking about her."

http://www.sheldrake.org/essays/thinking-of-someone-and-then-meeting-unexpectedly

I used to talk often to an older chap on an online messenger service then he stopped talking and I thought maybe he had a recurrence of a medical problem or had married a close friend.
I only had occasional forwards from him. Anyway I started thinking about him a couple of weeks ago and in the meantime my daughter put me on Facebook.
Imagine my surprise when I had a message from this chap so I don't know if he wants to chat again . I won't pester him but will chat if he wants.

I was walking through some woods the other day and came upon a path I'd never seen before. It made me think about The Way Through The Woods, as in the poem and I remembered that there was an Inspector Morse episode of that name too but couldn't remember what happened in it.

Later that day, flicking through the TV channels, there was a repeat of an Inspector Morse on some obsure channel.

No, sorry, it wasn't The Way Through The Woods, although I'd hoped it would be, for a double coincidence, but the universe had clearly decided that one was enough.

I get these sort of little coincidences and synchronicities every now and then.

The other day I was reading the Archaeology section in the current FT (371), when I started reading the article ''Suffolk Henge'' I sort of half drifted off and began thinking about the TV series Detectorists. And then to my surprise I see the series mentioned at the bottom of the article, as it was filmed about 10 miles from the site.

Odd and sensitive one. I was listening earlier on, to the Blue Öyster Cult's "Don't Fear The Reaper", possibly for the first time in months. Got the urge to pull it up from YouTube and listen. During the second verse - the one about forty thousand people leaving and another forty thousand arriving every day - got the news a friend had died. The soundtrack was - well, appropriate. And I hesitate slightly in posting the link here, but...

Last edited:
This morning, I was in my local Waterstones, where I came across a book I'd never heard of before; 'Jerusalem' by Simon Sebag Montefiore.
About a couple of hours later, I was reading through another message board I frequent, and decided to look at the book section, something I don't do that often, when the same book was mentioned!

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/showthread.php?40760-The-Five-Foot-Shelf
Something tangentially related happened to me. I was reading one of Spike Milligan's war memoirs in which he recalls serving under an officer called Sebag-Montefiore. I thought, as you do, "odd name, can't be many people called that". A day or two later I took the book back to the library... and guess what I saw in the "Just returned" section - Jerusalem by Simon Sebag-Montefiore. Did a bit of digging - but alas, Simon is not related, except very distantly, the the Sebag-Montefiore who was Spike Milligan's commanding officer... so there are two branches of the family...

Last edited:
Today I was reading about a famous American murder trial, in which the guilty verdict was delivered on this very date in 1902 or thereabouts.

'Don't fear the reaper' : A rather dark teenage suicide song about a depressive.

I'm surprised that it was allowed in the UK. I wonder how many kids killed themselves after listening to it.

INT21

'Don't fear the reaper' : A rather dark teenage suicide song about a depressive.

I'm surprised that it was allowed in the UK. I wonder how many kids killed themselves after listening to it.

INT21

The Blue Oyster Cult song?
It's not about suicide. It's about coming to terms with grief and sadness. I have the relevant line as a tattoo.

INT21
Not as dark as all that. Donald Roeser ("Buck Dharma") wrote the words in a depressive spirit after being, as it turned out, misdiagnosed with a degenerative heart disease that would kill him within eighteen months. He wanted to get it out of his system, to turn what he thought would be a truncated life into something more positive, and the other guys in the band helped turn it into a working song. It's no accident that so many songs on those two LP's recorded at the time - Agents of Fortune and Spectres - have dark themes of death in various ways and encounters. (spills over into Fire of Un-known Origin, with its title track contributed by band collaborator Patti Smith - who herself had several enocounters with the Reaper) Thirty-odd years on he's still here, although two co-members of the original band have indeed been offered a personal opportunity not to fear the Reaper... interestingly enough when keyboards player Allen Lanier died a year or two ago, fans and friends shunned "RIP" and instead started using the abbrieviation "DTFR". I like this - that should be a meme. Roeser has said he's horrified at the misinterpretation of the song and says it's not about suicide at all - he meant it to be an acceptance of the fact that Death happens and that it's a transition to another state, and very definitely not a final ending... which right now is something to take comfort in.

Also helps if I get the singer/songwriter correct - damn, Eric Bloom and Donald Roeser are the core of the band and because they swapped lead vocal and lead guitar roles so often, easy to mix them up...

Last edited:
Sounds to me like it is encouraging a young depressed girl to commit suicide as a way out instead of maybe seeking help.

INT21

I think Don’t Fear The Reaper is pretty clearly about teen lovers committing suicide.

I was at Bunnings and a woman called out "Hey I know you". Turned out she was the daughter of a woman I knew and we had a chat about her Mum.
I was telling my daughter later and she said" Well that was a coincidence" as we had been talking about not seeing this woman for a long time just the day before.

I'm just watching emmerdale on catchup (on the tv) and scrolling on Facebook.

A Bob Marley quotes link popped up on Facebook, so I thought I would give it a read. As I was reading the following quote I started to take notice of. what was being said in the soap. Someone was giving a reading at wedding. She was reading the quote!!!

7) "You may not be her first, her last, or her only. She loved before she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters? She's not perfect—you aren't either, and the two of you may never be perfect together but if she can make you laugh, cause you to think twice, and admit to being human and making mistakes, hold onto her and give her the most you can. She may not be thinking about you every second of the day, but she will give you a part of her that she knows you can break—her heart. So don't hurt her, don't change her, don't analyze and don't expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she's not there."

I know face book can listen in to what's happening and your phone knows stuff but I am in a completely location than I normally am, using a different tv service and I Wales through the door 10 minutes ago!!!

Back