• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

Our garden used to have little light because of a huge bay tree next door. We tried negotiating with the neighbours but they weren't helpful.
Eventually the elderly house owner died and the house was sold and done up, including the removal of the hated bay tree, and resold to very nice new owners.

So... t'other day I was gardening and thinking about how much more light we get these days.

I thought, 'But the tree isn't gone, it's still there as a stump which is growing new branches, and anyway what about Kirlian photography, where the outline of a felled tree is still there as if it's standing?'

Just then Jeremy Irons on t'wireless read from Psalm 37: I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.

OK tree, I get it. You're still'ere.

Our garden used to have little light because of a huge bay tree next door. We tried negotiating with the neighbours but they weren't helpful.
Eventually the elderly house owner died and the house was sold and done up, including the removal of the hated bay tree, and resold to very nice new owners.

So... t'other day I was gardening and thinking about how much more light we get these days.

I thought, 'But the tree isn't gone, it's still there as a stump which is growing new branches, and anyway what about Kirlian photography, where the outline of a felled tree is still there as if it's standing?'

Just then Jeremy Irons on t'wireless read from Psalm 37: I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.

OK tree, I get it. You're still'ere.

It will never leaf you.

I occasionally visit a cousin and we'll go for walks along a nature trail that used to be an old railway line. At the start of the walk, there is an old cottage and signal box that my cousin's wife really likes and has often said she'd like to retire there.

We got onto the subject of family trees and she asked if I could do one for her. After giving me some info I started and discovered that her grandmother had been born in that cottage back in 1913 and her great-grandfather had been the signalman there. She was amazed, she'd never met her grandmother and knew very little about that side of the family.

It's not the first time this has happened when I've been doing family trees, they are a coincidence magnet.

Coincidences continue apace with the return of my dearest friend. His name still crops up a lot at my work and music from a long time ago that we both loved keeps being played at restaurants when he's out.

One of the weirdest ones though: I was outside trying to find a place to burn a sigil I'd done and as I was on my way to somewhere I knew would be ideal, a car drove past, windows down, blasting out a Nick Cave song that we'd been discussing recently. This is the same song that someone was using as a ringtone at a work thing he was recently involved in...

Not sure if this is coincidence or nominative determinism...

High school students Tyler Smith and Heather Brown recently celebrated their “senior skip day” with a day at the beach. However, things took a frightening turn when they were swept out to sea while going for a swim. Within two hours, the pair was almost two miles from shore.

They started praying. Smith told Florida’s WJAX, “I cried out, ‘If you really do have a plan for us, like, come on. Just bring something.’”

Within minutes of their prayers, a massive yacht appeared. On the side of the boat, in big letters, was its name: “Amen.”

https://relevantmagazine.com/current/teens-lost-at-sea-pray-for-rescue-boat-called-amen-shows-up/

Today I was chatting with a colleague I don't know well and made a mental note of his name, René, remembering it by thinking of the song 'Walk Away Renée'.
Within minutes in the Times I read an article about Rod Stewart's daughter Renée, who was named after that very song.

What does this mean? Nothing.

Last edited:
The other night, as usual, I prefaced my movie-of-the-night with a twilight-hour selection of downloaded MP3s from ancient 78s; I had reached a set of Milizia Korjus discs. She is not a household name, today: born in Warsaw to Latvian parents, her vocal pyrotechnics once won her the title "Nightingale of Berlin." The voice was agile and she could certainly hit the high notes but it was her good looks which attracted the attention of Hollywood. "Korjus, rhymes with Gorgeous," was the dubious slogan!

One hour later, I am catching up with Glenn Erikson's great Cinesavant blog.

Who is the smiley old* lady he encountered, as a young'un, at a Hollywood party? :clap:

*She reached her seventies, only, but he was young - she would have seemed ancient!

Last edited:
I was just randomly watching 'The Sea Wolves' on ITV4, and then decided to watch the following documentary on Vimeo after it was 'recommended'. In the opening, Toyah is walking on the London Underground, when she walks past a poster advertising...'The Sea Wolves'!

I do notice a number of disproportionate coincidences in relation to content of Fortean Times. This morning on the way to work I listened to the Unexplained podcast (Richard Maclean .....................Smith, not Howard Hughes) talking about Zombies and poison from the Puffer Fish. I arrive home to FT on my doorstep and in the Editorial there is an “errata section, correctly spelling the poison as tetrodotoxin.

It’s a weird weird world.

I was in Zwolle and was confronted by a beggar. As always I thought "this irritating unwashed guy might be Jesus in disguise walking the earth" (I'm hopelessly Fortean, or just superstitious) so I gave him some small change. I walked on a few metres. And then I saw the angel in the evening light.
zwolle05.jpg!

I was in Zwolle and was confronted by a beggar. As always I thought "this irritating unwashed guy might be Jesus in disguise walking the earth" (I'm hopelessly Fortean, or just superstitious) so I gave him some small change. I walked on a few metres. And then I saw the angel in the evening light.
View attachment 17742!

Reminds me of when I was walking in a Hungarian city and started randomly thinking about my late Auntie Val, who once psychically forced me to change my route home so I'd drive past her at the bus stop and give her a lift...

Anyway I walked on a while and turned a corner, to see a busker playing 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' quite beautifully on a violin. That song was the very favourite of my auntie and my mother. They used to sing it together as children. It was played at her funeral.

On the day of the funeral various family members travelled from different parts of the country, some from abroad, and they all saw a huge bright rainbow in front of them all the way. It was like Val was waving goodbye! She was a spooky lady.

The busker was handsomely rewarded.

I would really love to see some confirmation that this story is factually-real, and not just a tabloid confection:

Shorthand summary: the present day, two 21yr old males, living 3600 miles apart. Both with identical non-common first&family names, both stand-up comics/online gamers, possessing physically-similar looks, stumble upon each-others' Facebook profile....whereon each of is independantly dressed in a banana suit.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9165920/ben-codrington-banana-facebook-twin/
dk-comp-graphic-bananas.jpg

If this is really true...it does beg some kind of explanation. As do many other coincidences.

The suspicion that maybe we are all just nothing more than semi-animated bacteria in Something's high school science experiment does occur to me occasionally (I think Charles Fort wondered about this broad concept as well, in "Lo!"). Not so much that we live in a matrix-style simulation...perhaps just a petri-dish synthesis.

I will be honest- I'd prefer the "Banana Twins"story to be fictional. But is it?

Minor coincidence but absolutely true - I was searching online for a Thunder bird photo (as in pterosaur) last Monday and posted an EE Thunderbird (SAM missile) from 1960 on the Good Stuff Online thread. I'll post it again in case you can't be arsed to look.
This Saturday my brother and me turned off the Aylesbury-Bicester road to explore by-ways less well travelled in the endless search for local history and coffee. In the gap between the trees we saw a missile launcher and doubled back to Westcott Venture Park (WVP) as any venture park with missiles is worth a closer look. WVP (now a secure small business Park) was originally RAF Westcott, the missile was a 1960 Thunderbird.
(wonder if Gerry Anderson had seen one).

English_electric_thunderbird_in_1960_arp.jpg Thunderbird0257.jpg

A stupendously mundane coincidence today. I came into work (it's Monday) and at least three colleagues had had haircuts over the weekend. Another had dyed her hair. Then 4 of my class (less than 30) had also had haircuts.

This mass haircutting would make sense if it were Chinese new year, when it's traditional, but seems strange over the course of a regular weekend.

Reminds me of when I was walking in a Hungarian city and started randomly thinking about my late Auntie Val, who once psychically forced me to change my route home so I'd drive past her at the bus stop and give her a lift...

Anyway I walked on a while and turned a corner, to see a busker playing 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' quite beautifully on a violin. That song was the very favourite of my auntie and my mother. They used to sing it together as children. It was played at her funeral.

On the day of the funeral various family members travelled from different parts of the country, some from abroad, and they all saw a huge bright rainbow in front of them all the way. It was like Val was waving goodbye! She was a spooky lady.

The busker was handsomely rewarded.
Our rainbow coincidence, with a different song. Eleven years ago, a right-wing bastard shot up a kid's production of "Annie" at a Unitarian church in Tennessee--shot seven and two died. A few days later, we attended a memorial service at our local Unitarian church, and after the formal service, most people in attendance congregated on the front lawn of the church to join hands in a ring and sing "Tomorrow" from that musical. A misty rain started, light, not at all a deterrent to the circle, and we were soon rewarded by a rainbow.

Today I drove east on the highway, around 10:00. In two different places I saw a mother duck with ducklings waiting to cross the three lane highway. I knew about this phenomenon but had never seen it before. And now two during one ride!

Ducks = as dumb and lovable as panda bears.

ln thirty years’ service in a rural-ish area, l only ever had to attend two deaths by firearm. One was a suicide, the other a homicide.

l attended both during the same eight-hour shift.

The same brand of 12-bore cartridges was used in both instances.

Both were point blank head shots.

maximus otter

Oyster Weekend
This Saturday I started reading Agents of Fortune - The Blue Öyster Cult Story by Martin Popoff
On Saturday afternoon I read through Wildlife Yorkshire - Summer 2019 which had a piece about the reintroduction of oysters into the Humber Estuary.
While preparing Sunday lunch, the TV was on and I happened to catch Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes in The Dying Detective on ITV4 just at the part where he is faking an illness and hallucinating about oysters taking over the seabed.

ln thirty years’ service in a rural-ish area, l only ever had to attend two deaths by firearm. One was a suicide, the other a homicide.

maximus otter
Were the 2 events linked?

maximus otter

Jesus Christ MO...12 gauge.

12-bore.

;)

maximus otter

My apologies MO...you needing to deal with two deaths up close after the use of a weapon like that, was the the reason for the invocation mate. Only toffs call 'em 12 bores - us colonials use gauge.

How are you going?

Back