• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

My apologies MO...you needing to deal with two deaths up close after the use of a weapon like that, was the the reason for the invocation mate. Only toffs call 'em 12 bores - us colonials use gauge.

How are you going?

Don’t worry, mate, it wasn’t that side of police work that caused me grief.

maximus otter

Very small coincidence but I'll throw it into the ring anyway.

This morning I was watching a YouTube video (about smart meters) and the host, who is American, mentioned his power company, "PG & E". I'd not heard of them before today.

Then just now, on the "All Electric Future" thread, the company "PG & E" has been mentioned.

So there you have it.

I just got the book Flight or Fright{collection of short stories}First story I read "Cargo"about the Jonestown mass suicide, switch on the telly and there is Jim Jefferies. Next look at but didn't really read "They should not grow old"flick on youtube. trailer for the film of the same title.Bit odd.

Very small coincidence but I'll throw it into the ring anyway.

This morning I was watching a YouTube video (about smart meters) and the host, who is American, mentioned his power company, "PG & E". I'd not heard of them before today.

Then just now, on the "All Electric Future" thread, the company "PG & E" has been mentioned.

So there you have it.
After reading your post about PG and E, just went on the thread "Have we just had the warning..."and what power company is being discussed?

I just got the book Flight or Fright{collection of short stories}First story I read "Cargo"about the Jonestown mass suicide, switch on the telly and there is Jim Jefferies. Next look at but didn't really read "They should not grow old"flick on youtube. trailer for the film of the same title.Bit odd.

What does Jim Jefferies have to do with Jonestown? I don't know enough about him.

I on't know if I have been drinking laced cool aid, Jim Jones I meant!and I was slow on the uptake with S.Zebra's post!time for bed I think.

Oh, right! I thought he'd written your book or something!

Last night an intense thunderstorm with gale-force winds felled trees and killed the power to my suburban area. I knew it would be a while until power was restored, so ...

I grabbed my mini LED headlamp on an elastic headband and used its illumination to get dressed for an expedition out and about - both to survey the extent of the blackout and to simply pass the time. As I popped my hat on I slipped the headlamp band down around my neck and wore it as a necklace so I wouldn't have to fumble for it in a pocket.

After some cursory cruising I found active power only about a mile away. I then decided to make a grocery run to an upscale market situated in the powered zone some miles farther away.

Roughly an hour had passed by the time I returned to my apartment complex, where I was disappointed to see the blackout was still in force. I privately grumbled as I hoisted two heavy shopping totes out of my vehicle and prepared for the trek all the way around to the back side of my building in the dark.

I reached up to my throat and fumbled for the molded switch to the LED lamp. I thought I'd clicked it properly, but the lamp didn't light up. Instead - and instantaneously upon my clicking ...

There was a percussive 'ka-chunk' sound from afar, a deep hum ramped up, and all the surrounding sidewalk, porch, and street lamps came on.

I chuckled, "Even better!" and smugly lugged my provisions around back and inside.

Can't remember if i've already posted this.

T'other day I was given a copy of the Saddleworth Independent. I said 'Ooh thank you! I only know one thing about Saddleworth.'

Saddleworth Moor was where the moors murderers buried and sometimes first attacked their victims. We chatted about it, being in a relevant locality, and incidentally mentioned a colleague who reckons he was nearly abducted by them as a young child.

(I've known lots of people who also knew people involved in those awful crimes.)

Later I was reminded that the day was the anniversary of the disappearance of Keith Bennett, who was a victim of the same murderers. His body has never been found.

Ii went on a bit; I'd promised to dig out a book for a colleague about the the case and next morning I found one on a second hand book table. Not that exact book, but one that will suit her better. So I won't have to go looking for the one I promised her.

No more like this, Universe, please!

A small coincidence.

Last night we mentioned music (can't remember the thread( Yes, I know, very bad short term memory)) and I mentioned Phaedra.
This afternoon A was passing my wife's tv and a question on a game show was 'Which mythical beast was half bull half human ?'

Of course, it is the Minator; From the same Greek Tragedy that has Phaedra.

INT21.

In 1969, TV Presenter Simon Dee left the BBC after his wage demands were refused by the Head of Light Entertainment, Bill Cotton.

Some years later, Dee, now in reduced circumstances following the collapse of his media career, smashed up a toilet seat with Petula Clark's face on it, in protest of what he perceived as disrespect to her.
He was jailed for vandalism.
The magistrate....his ex boss Bill Cotton.

Or was he?
Because this story might just be an urban myth, the toilet seat in reality bearing a picture of Marilyn Monroe?

Just now the Stranglers song Golden Brown popped up on YouTube, played with a mariachi band backing Cornwell's vocals.

Afterwards I went back to listening to t'wireless, where someone was describing being woken up at dawn by a mariachi band outside the building (hotel or whatever) where he was staying...

Here it is -
The Digital Human

Another moors murders coincidence: in the last couple of days, there have been allegations/revelations about Brady's time in Broadmoor where it seems he was allowed to mix with vulnerable younger inmates and even have sex with them.

Tonight I read a bit more of the book about the murders and found a discussion about how well-known the murders are and how the murderers can still make the headlines. Yes, I thought, they can, even after they're dead themselves.

Another moors murders coincidence: in the last couple of days, there have been allegations/revelations about Brady's time in Broadmoor where it seems he was allowed to mix with vulnerable younger inmates and even have sex with them.

Tonight I read a bit more of the book about the murders and found a discussion about how well-known the murders are and how the murderers can still make the headlines. Yes, I thought, they can, even after they're dead themselves.

Liking not because it's a likeable subject but... you know. Awful revelations.

Liking not because it's a likeable subject but... you know. Awful revelations.
There's a lot more to come out about Brady. He carried on bullying and manipulating after he was locked up. He had more than one famous visitor.

There's a lot more to come out about Brady. He carried on bullying and manipulating after he was locked up. He had more than one famous visitor.

:(:mad: That doesn't sound good at all.

Zebs dug up an intriguing old thread about an anomalous figure photographed in a ruined boathouse a couple of days ago. The backstory concerned a reclusive film-maker seeking out locations for his short film Anima. I changed channel from here to the Guardian, and found a review for a short film entitled Anima.

I'm a coincidence! :joyf:

It's a common thing, but you know how striking it is if you're writing a word and you hear it at the same time – I've had that three times in the last hour! The words: trigger, target and wheels, so not the most obvious in the first two cases. I'm writing for a bike magazine while listening to the Tour de France so 'wheels' is going to crop up time and time again, but that was the last of the three.

My grandmother was ahead of her time, like many people of the Victorian age (she was born in the 1880s), and had three children all (as far as we know) without benefit of clergy. The father of the first child, a boy (born c. 1910), was a mysterious man who disappeared quickly and forever. The father of the second and third children, a girl and a boy (born in the 1920s), stuck around a bit but was already married with children when he met my grandmother and continued to live with his original family. The legitimate family did not know about my grandmother and her children - and there was certainly never any contact between them, nor (crucially) did the legitimate family of my grandmother's second 'husband' have anything to do with the child of her first 'husband'.

About forty years after the second and third children were born, the son of the first child went to college in the west of England - far away from where either family lived, which was in London and the south-east. While at college he met a woman whom he later married. It took them some years to piece things together, but they eventually realised that the woman's family was the legitimate family of the father of the second and third children mentioned above. Neither had any knowledge of the other's existence before they met, their families weren't in touch or aware of each other, and their choice of the same college, as well as of each other, was either totally random chance or evidence of strange forces at work!

Luckily they're not blood relatives in any way, and are only connected by being cousins to each others' (illegitimate) (half) cousins.

Reading this back it doesn't seem very amazing but you'll have to take my word for it that it actually is.

Here is a decidedly-odd sequence of coincidences that I've been involved in, tonight.

I do try to accept that coincidences are meant only to be alignments insofar as they are perceived to be such...but this is a strange tale (and all totally-true).

I'd been working late, as ever, and had abandoned my car in the company car park, setting off on-foot to purchase some motoring consumables (let's say engine oil) from a large nearby shiny stuff store.

On my way back (just a short walking distance, say 0.5mile) I was faced with at least five different routes as I approached close to my work.
  • Around the front of a resturaunt complex, on the main street pavement/sidewalk, or
  • Through the back of the adjacent healthclub, or
  • Along the parklane river path, or
  • Along the inside front of the healthclub, or
  • Through the back of the resturaunt rear carpark
I suddenly decided upon the last option, of walking in the middle of the quiet rear carpark road. After walking a few footsteps, I became aware that a car was right behind me, super-close...it was almost as if I was towing it.

A very-familiar voice called me, and I spun around to find it was my daughter, driving her car close behind my ill-advised wander along the road. We were both amazed to see each-other, as it was quite a while since we'd last met, especially in her town. Each of us were mutually-astounded as to the unlikelyhood of having encountered the other, at that precise moment & place. We promised to properly have a catchup soon, and parted our ways.

Just over an hour later, and I was back in my home town. My mobile phone rung, but I couldn't take the call at that time, as I was meeting with local colleagues, so I checked my missed calls to find that my daughter had been calling me.

I called her back, to find that she was rather upset, as her car had broken-down....probably the clutch cable. She asked if I was in the vicinity, but I explained I was already miles away, at home. Help for her was on the way, she said, and I got her to say exactly where she was stuck. And I was astounded to discover that her clutch cable had snapped (or whatever) about 10feet from where I'd been parked, at my work.

Where my car...with it's towbar. And towrope. And tarpauline. And me.....had coincidently been parked, about 90mins beforehand.

Had the fates tried to put me there, to help her? And I spoilt it, by going away too easly?

Maybe I don't believe in fate.

Perhaps the fact that we'd randomly-met less than a couple of hours ago for the first time in a while, in a location which was impossibly-improbable, that I'd almost played-out an unseen piece of instinctive theatre earlier ('walk-towing' in front of her not-yet-known-to-be-her car...), the fact that I was, unwittingly, completely-prepared to help her out from an incident that was going to happen an hour in the future.....just totally, utterly, spine-chillingly curious.

Nothing quite like this has ever happened to me before (and there were certain other coincidental aspects that are too detailed to go into). But it feels so much more than just mere chance forming a conjunction seen only from the perspective of the perceivor.

I'm not doing the story full justice. It really was extremely odd, when all experienced in person

Last edited:
Here is a decidedly-odd sequence of coincidences that I've been involved in, tonight.

I do try to accept that coincidences are meant only to be alignments insofar as they are perceived to be such...but this is a strange tale (and all totally-true).

I'd been working late, as ever, and had abandoned my car in the company car park, setting off on-foot to purchase some motoring consumables (let's say engine oil) from a large nearby shiny stuff store.

On my way back (just a short walking distance, say 0.5mile) I was faced with at least five different routes as I approached close to my work.
  • Around the front of a resturaunt complex, on the main street pavement/sidewalk, or
  • Through the back of the adjacent healthclub, or
  • Along the parklane river path, or
  • Along the inside front of the healthclub, or
  • Through the back of the resturaunt rear carpark
I suddenly decided upon the last option, of walking in the middle of the quiet rear carpark road. After walking a few footsteps, I became aware that a car was right behind me, super-close...it was almost as if I was towing it.

A very-familiar voice called me, and I spun around to find it was my daughter, driving her car close behind my ill-advised wander along the road. We were both amazed to see each-other, as it was quite a while since we'd last met, especially in her town. Each of us were mutually-astounded as to the unlikelyhood of having encountered the other, at that precise moment & place. We promised to properly have a catchup soon, and parted our ways.

Just over an hour later, and I was back in my home town. My mobile phone rung, but I couldn't take the call at that time, as I was meeting with local colleagues, so I checked my missed calls to find that my daughter had been calling me.

I called her back, to find that she was rather upset, as her car had broken-down....probably the clutch cable. She asked if I was in the vicinity, but I explained I was already miles away, at home. Help for her was on the way, she said, and I got her to say exactly where she was stuck. And I was astounded to discover that her clutch cable had snapped (or whatever) about 10feet from where I'd been parked, at my work.

Where my car...with it's towbar. And towrope. And tarpauline. And me.....had coincidently been parked, about 90mins beforehand.

Had the fates tried to put me there, to help her? And I spoilt it, by going away too easly?

Maybe I don't believe in fate.

Perhaps the fact that we'd randomly-met less than a couple of hours ago for the first time in a while, in a location which was impossibly-improbable, that I'd almost played-out an unseen piece of instinctive theatre earlier ('walk-towing' in front of her not-yet-known-to-be-her car...), the fact that I was, unwittingly, completely-prepared to help her out from an incident that was going to happen an hour in the future.....just totally, utterly, spine-chillingly curious.

Nothing quite like this has ever happened to me before (and there were certain other coincidental aspects that are too detailed to go into). But it feels so much more than just mere chance forming a conjunction seen only from the perspective of the perceivor.

I'm not doing the story full justice. It really was extremely odd, when all experienced in person
It's the Universe's way of saying 'visit each other more' or something like that.

Another of those clusterings which give the impression of being prodded by...well..something...to take notice.

Last week Youtube offered as suggested watching an old video clip of Oprah Winfrey interviewing a Dr Brian Weiss, a past life regression hypnotherapist and author of a book called Same Soul, Many Bodies. I watched the clip.

Its therefore not a mystery that in the next couple of days youtube offered more content from Dr Weiss on reincarnation and the afterlife.

What turns from an algorhythm into an oddity is that on Wednesday i checked out the facebook page of a coming airbnb guest, as he has an unusual name and im nosy, and among the limited things i could see was one of his "likes". A book/page called "Miracles Happen: The Transformational Healing Power of Past-Life Memories". Click on it. Author? The same Dr Weiss. Odd coincidence. But coincidences happen.

Except then last night, Friday, I clicked on a new "story" (a time limited posting) on instagram by a stranger i follow. It turned out to be a few second of video of the cover of Same Soul Many Bodies with a caption saying how good it is. Ok, now this is getting creepy. the same author and topic turning up from 3 unrelated sources in the space of a week. I told someone about this clustering and went back to the instagram story (5 minutes after clicking on it) to double check the exact title of the book, but the posting had already vanished as no longer available, adding to the impression of mystery.

15 minutes later....my brother texts me out of the blue to ask, with no prelude or background to the question, "What was the name of that man who used to be on bbc2 in the 80's doing past life regression? Keating I think?" (he means Joe Keeton)

Oh come on! Someone is trying to tell me somethng surely! I have questioned the brother on what made him ask..."Just rememberd the show but thought his name was Tom for some reason". That's it. No other explanation. He just happened to think about Keeton as I'm noticing and noting this cluster of references to an unrelated past life regression therapist.

We're weighing up the pros and cons of moving house, and anyone who knows us will know that the pros and cons will be thoroughly weighed and dissected! Anyway, the in-laws came down last weekend, partly because the Medic wanted to hear their opinions on the subject. My father-in-law is an early riser, and as quiet as he tries to be going downstairs, he inevitably wakes up the Medic and I. I'm okay - I can go back to sleep. The Medic, on the other hand, not so much. So on Sunday morning, sure enough, we were woken up at about 6am, and whilst I dozed off again, the Medic followed his dad downstairs after about 15 minutes or so. In the meantime, I was dreaming. I was moving into student accommodation at the start of an academic year (it's 30 years since I had that pleasure!), and while I was getting my things sorted, all the other doors on the corridor are closed. When I did eventually come to properly and go downstairs, the Medic and my FIL were discussing one of the houses that we had looked at the previous day, which had a galleried area above the kitchen from which the bedroom doors opened. They were talking about the disadvantages of this arrangement in that you'd need to keep bedroom doors shut in order to keep cooking smells out of them, and then the Medic said, "Nah, closed bedroom doors just feel like student accommodation to me, and we don't like it."

A very minor coincidence, but one that almost made me choke on my cuppa!

A few weeks ago I was sitting on a bus gazing out the window and listening to a football podcast. One of the people on the podcast said a sentence with the word "memo" in it, the other said "memo?", and the first said "memo!"

At that exact moment, the bus was passing am electricity substation which someone had spray painted the word MEMO on twice, in huge letters.

Was the podcast discussing Spanish players or teams? "Memo" is a common informal short-form of "Guillermo" - analogous to "Bill" for "William."

No, it was a Scottish football podcast. But maybe the graffiti writer was called Guillermo!

Back