• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

Just reading, from the 'limericks' thread...

..It's the moon , you've gone loco. ..

And looking out the window at an almost perfectly full Moon.

Scottish Atlantic rower's lost boat washes up near family home
  • 4 hours ago
A rowing boat abandoned off the US coast by a Scots adventurer has washed up a year later less than 100 miles (161km) from his home in Scotland.
Niall Iain Macdonald was making his third attempt in four years to cross the North Atlantic from New York to Stornoway in Lewis when he was rescued.
He got into difficulty in stormy seas more than 700 miles off the US coast.
The boat was washed up on a beach at Askernish in South Uist, the ancestral home of Mr MacDonald's late mother.

etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49688499

US baby born on 9/11 at 9:11 weighs 9lb 11oz
A US mother says her newborn daughter is a "little miracle" after she was born on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks at 9:11pm weighing 9lb 11oz.

Little Christina Brown came into the world at Methodist LeBonheur Hospital in Germantown, Tennessee.

"She is a new life amongst the devastation and destruction," said her mother Cametrione Moore-Brown.

Commemorations were held across the US to mark 18 years since the attack, on 11 September 2001.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49699494

Sometimes a coincidence occurs that proves the point you're trying to make ...
Pigeon poops on lawmaker discussing pigeon poop problem

A pigeon apparently didn’t think much of a lawmaker’s ideas to address a messy situation at a Chicago Transit Authority stop known by some as “pigeon poop station.”

WBBM-TV reports that one of the birds did its business on the head of Democratic state Rep. Jaime Andrade as he was discussing the problem with a reporter outside of the Irving Park Blue Line station. ...

During the interview, Andrade rubbed the top of his head and said, “I think they just got me.” They did.

The sidewalks outside of the station are covered in bird waste and feathers.

Andrade has been trying to fix the problem. One of his ideas is to ask the CTA to install a hose line for power washing when it constructs new escalators at the stop.
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/96823a824a0b4f03ab6bb0333e160bda

I have a gardener and his wife who come in each fortnight. I thought I'd better tell them that I will be away the next time they are due and ask if they wanted to make up the hours another time.
To my surprise they broke out in smiles and said they had been offered work cleaning at a conference that day so we were both glad we would not be inconveniencing the other.

they had been offered work cleaning at a conference

I'd do that. You find all sorts!

In fact I was once voluntarily tidying a conference area while chatting with another conference-goer about the belief that angels are supposed to help poor desperate mortals who ask them, and immediately picked up a tiny angel-shaped brooch. My acquaintance was stunned.

About 5 months ago I was arranging for a handyman to come to the house to do some work. I had seen his advert in a local magazine but had never contacted him before. After the first introductory phone call we arranged that I phone him back that weekend to arrange a day when he could start work the following week. I tried phoning him on the Saturday. He wasn't in so I left a message on his voicemail.

On Sunday, since I had still not been able to contact him, I was in one of those predicaments i.e. wondering when would likely be the best time to phone and catch him when could answer the phone in person. Around noon I was sitting at the living room table doing some task or other (can't remember what it was now). I had in mind to phone the handyman after I had completed said task. However, before I could finish the job I was doing I got a sudden, VERY, VERY STRONG compulsion to drop what I was doing and phone him then and there. I responded to the feeling immediately. And I got straight through. He was actually out walking that day and had just sat down to have his lunch and so had switched on his phone.

Long story short, this handyman has now done a lot of work at the house and to a very high standard.

In fact I was once voluntarily tidying a conference area while chatting with another conference-goer about the belief that angels are supposed to help poor desperate mortals who ask them, and immediately picked up a tiny angel-shaped brooch. My acquaintance was stunned.

I used to go to a local woman for tarot card readings. I use oracle and tarot cards a lot myself. My instant response to the coincidence you describe is that the tarot cards might say that when you picked up the brooch, the "universe" was confirming that there are "angels" (whatever they may be) who help poor desperate mortals.

In fact, if one reads stories of real adventurers, and especially of seamen, they often believe that there is something more to existence than science might lead us to believe. ( I'm not talking religion here.) In fact, last year I read the autobiography of one such adventurer who, experiencing coincidence after coincidence after coincidence, one of which saved his life, started referring to this force or whatever it is as his General Manager, for it seemed to be organising his life for him e.g. putting him in touch with the right people at the right time to get him to where he wanted to go. Where he wanted to go included Africa and then sailing across the Atlantic single-handed.

In fact, if one reads stories of real adventurers, and especially of seamen, they often believe that there is something more to existence than science might lead us to believe.

Not just adventurers and seamen! A former CERN particle physicist of my close acquaintance*, a lifelong sceptic, once confessed to me that the more one gets into physics and especially maths, the more it all appears so organised and elegant that you can't help thinking it's all part of a massive design by one omnipotent being...

*Present at the announcement of the discovery of the Higgs Boson particle and subsequently the top Higgs analyst!

Not just adventurers and seamen! A former CERN particle physicist of my close acquaintance*, a lifelong sceptic, once confessed to me that the more one gets into physics and especially maths, the more it all appears so organised and elegant that you can't help thinking it's all part of a massive design by one omnipotent being...

*Present at the announcement of the discovery of the Higgs Boson particle and subsequently the top Higgs analyst!

Wow. Science and....well, religion? Surely not!

I noticed some multipacks of crisps at the Coopy called Spicy Sriracha and I had never heard of it so didn't touch them. I guess no-one else had either as they ended up on special offer and I bought a pack. Then later on that evening I watched a Youtube video where the women pulled a bag of something out of her cupboard and it was Spicy Sriracha flavoured. It could just be one of those things which has suddenly become fashionable I guess.

A happy little coincidence to relate. A week before her birthday, I asked my mother what present she'd like. She asked for a cure for my father, who has been having treatment for lymphoma. On Friday, her birthday, he got the all clear. Birthday wishes do come true! Or it's a coincidence. How many people have asked for just such a gift and not received it on their birthday, or, in some cases, at all. But anyway, he's home at the moment, hopefully on the way to recovering from chemo.

A happy little coincidence to relate. A week before her birthday, I asked my mother what present she'd like. She asked for a cure for my father, who has been having treatment for lymphoma. On Friday, her birthday, he got the all clear. Birthday wishes do come true! Or it's a coincidence. How many people have asked for just such a gift and not received it on their birthday, or, in some cases, at all. But anyway, he's home at the moment, hopefully on the way to recovering from chemo.
Good news!

I noticed some multipacks of crisps at the Coopy called Spicy Sriracha and I had never heard of it so didn't touch them. I guess no-one else had either as they ended up on special offer and I bought a pack. Then later on that evening I watched a Youtube video where the women pulled a bag of something out of her cupboard and it was Spicy Sriracha flavoured. It could just be one of those things which has suddenly become fashionable I guess.
I've just come across this post, and the weird thing is, exactly 4 weeks ago (Bank Holiday Monday), I was in A&E thinking I was having a heart-attack, but it was just a gastric virus. It may have been caused by some deep-fried calamari, and...Sriracha sauce, which was both the first and last time I'll ever have it.
I also had a ultrasound scan today just to check everything was ok. It turns out I've got some cholesterol polyps and a couple of gall stones, but they're benign.

Here is a decidedly-odd sequence of coincidences that I've been involved in, tonight.

I do try to accept that coincidences are meant only to be alignments insofar as they are perceived to be such...but this is a strange tale (and all totally-true).

Had the fates tried to put me there, to help her? And I spoilt it, by going away too easly?

Thank you for posting.

The message is that if something seems odd, or too much of a co incidence, it is a hint to stop for a minute and think about what is happening, and why it might be happening.

I am guilty of ignoring this last week.

Fo work reasons, I was in an area that I am seldom in. I had to be somewhere else for a meeting, so I left that area and stopped and ate at a restaurant en route, a restaurant I knew had nice food, even though I seldom eat there as it is a bit pricey.
I decided to keep costs down by sticking to a main course only. Better that I know the quality of food than gamble on somewhere unknown.

Anyway, as I was finishing, I saw a very attractive woman leave the restaurant.

I wanted to go after her to chat, but that would have meant running out of the restaurant without paying!

So....I finished as quickly as I could, in the hope that she was going to walk to the nearby tube station...where I could catch her up.

The restaurant staff took what felt like an age preparing my bill, and I made my way to the station where I did catch up with her...as she stood on the platform with a friend, looking at the tube map.

But the train I needed was in the platform with doors open, and even though I had a bit of time to spare to get to my meeting, perturbed by her not getting on a train that was in the platform, I let my Londoner angst get the better of me and got on the train.

It was only a few seconds later that it dawned on me that she might not have known what route she needed, and her looking at the map was the perfect opportunity for me to make conversation with an offer to help.

I truly had looked a gift horse in the mouth!

Everything had been timed perfectly for me to have an opportunity to talk to this woman,...and I messed up.

In future I pray I can take note of such things, keep a cool head, and work out why I have been placed in a certain location at a certain time.

It was only a few seconds later that it dawned on me that she might not have known what route she needed, and her looking at the map was the perfect opportunity for me to make conversation with an offer to help.

Everything had been timed perfectly for me to have an opportunity to talk to this woman,...and I messed up.

In future I pray I can take note of such things, keep a cool head, and work out why I have been placed in a certain location at a certain time.

Try to look on the bright side. If you'd approached her she might have screamed and squirted you with a can of Mace...

Thank you for posting.

The message is that if something seems odd, or too much of a co incidence, it is a hint to stop for a minute and think about what is happening, and why it might be happening.

I am guilty of ignoring this last week.

Fo work reasons, I was in an area that I am seldom in. I had to be somewhere else for a meeting, so I left that area and stopped and ate at a restaurant en route, a restaurant I knew had nice food, even though I seldom eat there as it is a bit pricey.
I decided to keep costs down by sticking to a main course only. Better that I know the quality of food than gamble on somewhere unknown.

Anyway, as I was finishing, I saw a very attractive woman leave the restaurant.

I wanted to go after her to chat, but that would have meant running out of the restaurant without paying!

So....I finished as quickly as I could, in the hope that she was going to walk to the nearby tube station...where I could catch her up.

The restaurant staff took what felt like an age preparing my bill, and I made my way to the station where I did catch up with her...as she stood on the platform with a friend, looking at the tube map.

But the train I needed was in the platform with doors open, and even though I had a bit of time to spare to get to my meeting, perturbed by her not getting on a train that was in the platform, I let my Londoner angst get the better of me and got on the train.

I posted the following post (#16) some time ago, but it could almost fit here. A coincidence in its self! (and topical, as its also re-cycling!)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...o-much-into-a-resemblance.60787/#post-1560947

I was just reading the 'Given Time Travel...' thread in 'Notes & Queries', when Philip Schofield(!) had a question on time-travel on '5 Gold Rings'!

Just now we heard the Pips on t'wireless. Techy said 'I can't believe it's five o'clock!' to which I replied 'It's four o'clock!'
Then the announcer said 'It's four o'clock', with the emphasis firmly on 'four'. THAT put Techy in his place.

I got in my car to drive to my brother yesterday eve. Put the key in the ignition, turned it, & a woman's voice shouted loudly "Hey Neil!" - my name. I was a bit wtf & looking around for the shoutee when it became apparent it was The Archers on the radio which came on when I turned the key.

What are the chances?

Back