• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

There are a couple I'd say are real dopplegangers because of their bone structure and the shape of their facial features, but hair style alone does not a doppleganer make. Numbers 2 and 6 seem like the strongest contenders to me.

What about Jack Black/Paul Revere? :omg:

I thought they were great. I enjoyed 11 in particular.
I could be picky, but I see what you mean about Jack Black and Paul Revere. Very similar in shape of skull, lips, and nose, especially skull.
11 is fun but not truly doppleganger territory IMHO. (Or not so H, but no arrogance intended!)

I was recently reading a book about London crime: Underworld London: Crime and Punishment in the Capital City. This led me in a roundabout search via the Intermong to the career of the noted hangman Albert Pierrepoint. I was aware of him and his activities in the middle of the last century; what I didn't realise was that he had a slight connection to a couple of the murderers whose lives he shortened by stretching their necks:

a) One of his - customers - in 1950 was a regular at the pub that Pierrepoint ran, the Help the Poor Struggler (*snigger*) on Manchester Road, Oldham. In fact, James "Tish" Corbett used to sing duets with Pierrepoint in the pub.

b) An infamous murder occurred in London on 29th April 1947: After a failed armed robbery at a jewellers' store in Charlotte St., W1, the criminals were forced to flee on foot. A brave member of the public, Alec de Antiquis, attempted to stop them. Tragically, the thugs' gunfire was accurate on this occasion, and the gallant Mr. de Antiquis died in the gutter a few yards from the locus:
4_GettyImages-52235220.jpg
By a strange coincidence, Pierrepoint was enjoying a pint with friends in the nearby Fitzroy Tavern, and saw the murder committed. In September that year, he hanged Charles Jenkins and Christopher James Geraghty for de Antiquis's murder.

As best I can ascertain, here is the murder locus today:

Charlotte-Street-de-Antiquis-murder-Fortean-arrow.jpg

(We are looking north along Charlotte St. towards its junction with Tottenham Rd.)

At street level:

Charlotte-Street-de-Antiquis-murder-Fortean-02.jpg

I believe that the exact location of Mr. de Antiquis’s death would be by the darker kerbstone near the apex of the corner.

maximus otter

Last edited:
the gallant Mr. de Antiquis died in the gutter a few yards from the locus:

Those are members of the public trying to help Mr de Antiquis? or plainclothes officials?

Sad to be reminded that "have a go hero" has always been a risky role. :(

Last night while watching TV and netsurfing I read a news item about the magician Dynamo who has both the virus and a couple of pre-existing health conditions. I read it out to Techy who's a fan, and right away an ad came on TV for Dynamo's new show. Yow.

I came across a short story from my favourite authors Preston and Child called "The Strange Case of Monsieur Bertin" on my external hard drive last night. I had forgotten it was there as I had sent it to my kindle to read. They had given this to subscribers a wee while ago for free as a thank you for subscribing. I later got an email from them with a link to this same story to entertain new subscribers while in lockdown. :)

This is somewhat grim, but worthy of note nonetheless.
Virus kills WWII veteran 100 years after twin died of Spanish flu
"A 100-year-old World War II veteran has died of the new coronavirus a century after his twin brother was killed in the 1918-19 Spanish flu pandemic, US media reports said.

Philip Kahn fought at the Battle of Iwo Jima and helped with aerial surveys after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Newsday said Wednesday in its online edition.

Kahn and his twin Samuel were born in December 1919 and Samuel died of the Spanish flu not long after."

RIP chap. To have lived through all of that is impressive innings.

Some good ones here. The most Fortean one is this one.

23. "The day my paternal grandfather died, my mom had been sitting in bed next to him comforting and talking to him. One of the things she said to him was, 'Tell my stepdad (Richie, who'd died years earlier) I say hi.' A couple of days later, after my grandfather died, we were at Walgreens looking outside the window when a huge truck drove by with 'Richie says hi' written on the side."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/amazing-coincidences-that-actually-happened

I was cleaning out the bathroom cupboard and came across a boxed soap which can be used as a shampoo.
I'm sure I never bought it and the daughter who lives with me said she didn't either.
Later I was talking to my youngest on the phone and she mentioned that she was using this special soap you can use as a shampoo.
It's possible she might have left it here when she married but it's been a few years and she said that she has found it to be kind to her scalp after trying other brands.
Just thought it was a coincidence that I found it and she mentioned it the same day in general talk.
I'll give it to her whenever the restrictions are relaxed.

I was cleaning out the bathroom cupboard and came across a boxed soap which can be used as a shampoo.
I'm sure I never bought it and the daughter who lives with me said she didn't either.
Later I was talking to my youngest on the phone and she mentioned that she was using this special soap you can use as a shampoo.
It's possible she might have left it here when she married but it's been a few years and she said that she has found it to be kind to her scalp after trying other brands.
Just thought it was a coincidence that I found it and she mentioned it the same day in general talk.
I'll give it to her whenever the restrictions are relaxed.
There's not that much of a difference between liquid soap and shampoo. Maybe the soap is a little harsher, but you could use it once or twice with not much of a problem. I have once or twice used washing up liquid to wash my hair when in a situation where I couldn't get shampoo.

I dreamt last night my friend suggested going to see Ray Charles in concert and she was all for it. I wasn't keen as I've never been a fan even though I can appreciate how talented he is/was. On looking at the forum this morning, one of the first posts I read was a story about Ray Charles & Dean Martin on the Stevie Wonder Is Not Blind thread.

Why Ray Charles should suddenly pop up in my dream I have no idea.

Is it a coincidence, then, that I have just recently watched a film about the life of Ray Charles, and this around the time you posted the above?

It was an interesting film. I watched it just after watching The Jolson Story. I enjoyed both. However, while The Jolson Story was pure fabrication, I felt that the film about Ray Charles had far more realism.

Is it a coincidence, then, that I have just recently watched a film about the life of Ray Charles, and this around the time you posted the above?

It was an interesting film. I watched it just after watching The Jolson Story. I enjoyed both. However, while The Jolson Story was pure fabrication, I felt that the film about Ray Charles had far more realism.

Stop beaming your thoughts into me while I'm asleep.

Feckin' hell - I'd not heard of this. According to the report, 500 police had besieged the house, blown the front off, tear-gassed then water-cannoned it & fired 10,000 rounds of machine gun fire into the building before the bomb was dropped.

Feckin' hell - I'd not heard of this. According to the report, 500 police had besieged the house, blown the front off, tear-gassed then water-cannoned it & fired 10,000 rounds of machine gun fire into the building before the bomb was dropped.
Just shocking.

This isn't a personal experience, but one I read many, many years ago in, I think, the TV Times.

A woman was leaving her house one morning just as the post arrived. One of the items delivered was a postcard from her mother who was on holiday in Spain. The postcard described how the mother had met the actor Leonard Fenton aka Dr Legg out of Eastenders while in Spain.

As the daughter is walking down the street reading this, she collides with another pedestrian, looks up to apologise... and its the actor Leonard Fenton aka Dr Legg out of Eastenders!

This isn't a personal experience, but one I read many, many years ago in, I think, the TV Times.

A woman was leaving her house one morning just as the post arrived. One of the items delivered was a postcard from her mother who was on holiday in Spain. The postcard described how the mother had met the actor Leonard Fenton aka Dr Legg out of Eastenders while in Spain.

As the daughter is walking down the street reading this, she collides with another pedestrian, looks up to apologise... and its the actor Leonard Fenton aka Dr Legg out of Eastenders!

I like the idea of this as a coincidence, but it would be even better if there was someone in Spain impersonating the actor Leonard Fenton. And getting away with it.

Back