• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

The number 17 crops up as significant for me.
Different months but my Mother, first boyfriend, and husband as well as myself have it. Also the lot number of my house although council later changed to a different number.
My Father and 3 children all have links to 9 and his house was also 9.

I have just joined this forum, and posted an introduction a couple of days ago. I listed my interests as including the writings of Ouspensky, and also involuntary kundalini experiences. It is probably the first time that I have ever posted anywhere on social media about kundalini experiences.
After logging out , I went on to Facebook, and the first post I noticed was from an Ouspensky related group that I am a member of, and featured a post quoting Ouspensky's view of kundalini. A subject he hardly ever wrote about -most strange !

I have been thinking about coincidence again : Are the examples that matter ones that just seem to defy the ordinary 'balance of probabilities' ?

I remember Christmas 2006. I worked Christmas Eve and was just getting to ready to pack my bag, tidy my flat, as was leaving to stay with my partner at the time. Put on a James Brown CD -someone I listened to now and then- as something quite uplifting and would spur me on to get ready. Remember getting everything done in time, but leaving the James Brown CD out on top of the player when I left. The next day it was announced that James Brown had died. A coincidence perhaps but a bit mundane. If one listens to artists of a particular generation, who are now getting old. or leading quite colourful lives, or both. then on the balance of probabilities there will be a time when one plays a CD, leaves it out, and find the said act has died the next day.

However, this morning had a more interesting occurrence. Was thinking about Eartha Kitt , someone my late mother used to listen to but I don't particularly. Put Radio 3 on, and found that they were playing a song by her. BBC Radio 3 being a classical music station, it is very rare that Eartha Kitt would feature.

Ive been reading the 'Antikythera Mechinism' thread today, i just flicked on the red button on bbc and saw this headline:

Scientists unlock mysteries of world's oldest 'computer'

A story about the very same thing :oops:

However, this morning had a more interesting occurrence. Was thinking about Eartha Kitt , someone my late mother used to listen to but I don't particularly. Put Radio 3 on, and found that they were playing a song by her. BBC Radio 3 being a classical music station, it is very rare that Eartha Kitt would feature.

Fortunately for Ms Kitt, you're 13 years too late to jinx her!

Yesterday had a conversation with someone and talked about two specific things - the Dr Seuss books and a popular beat combo who had only recently attracted my attention - The Pretty Reckless.

I said I had no history with the Dr Seuss brand, I had seen the Jim Carrey film and that was it. With the Pretty Reckless I had heard a couple of their songs and liked them so ordered their latest CD online.

CD arrived today, reading up on them and the lead singer is one Taylor Momsen. Previous claim to fame being she played Cindy Lou Who in How the Grinch Stole Christmas with Jim Carey...

This morning Techy and I were watching a video on a Macbook. I glanced away at a jewellery box in which are my good rings, including my wedding ring.

I thought 'Haven't worn that for months!' and imagined holding out my hand with the ring on.

At that very second Techy held out his own left hand in the exact same gesture. It was as if he was acting out my mental picture.

I said 'Why did you do that?' and he said something about a fingernail feeling 'funny', the weirdo! :chuckle:

About an hour ago, my girlfriend messaged me a photo of a dead lizard she'd found in her house. Just now, I got in the laundry and found a dead lizard in the washing machine (I suppose the poor thing had been hiding in a pile of clothes). Hers was desiccated, mine waterlogged.

One has to wonder just what Ms Kitt thought about her name being adopted into Cockney rhyming slang for a certain bodily function? As in “Cor blimey me old China, I’m touching cloth...I’d better nip up the old apples and pears for a quick Eartha Kitt” ....Apologies to any born and bred Cockneys if I’ve lost something in translation there!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was (sort of) watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets today whilst reading the Daily Telegraph. A burglar was jailed for 22 months for stealing a replica of the Weasley's Ford Anglia - "a painstakingly-restored classic car". By further coincidence my Dad had an Anglia, it didn't fly and it was sh*t.

We watched an episode of the Simpsons last night about Professor Fink creating a new crypto Currency. This morning one of my Facebook friends has put up a post about crypto currencies asking if anyone knows anything about it!

We were watching through Disney Plus and was an episode from a few years ago I think, so weird we should watch it the day before she starts asking about it.

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence matter or not, but I can't think of anywhere else to put it.

A while back I posted a rather lengthy list of famous people I either met or had an indirect relationship to in the Six Degrees Of Separation thread. Not incredibly surprising since I live in the New York City suburbs. But lately I've been feeling like I'm boasting when posting here: there are just too many threads that make me recall more. I shook Buzz Aldrin's hand. Nicki Minaj's dad was killed near my house. Taylor Dayne recorded a hit down the street from my old house. If I didn't know me, I'd accuse me of making it up.

I think I feel this way because many who, like me, live east of the NY City line have a very provincial mindset, and are just as starstruck by such things as someone from, say, rural Kansas or the New Mexico desert would be.

Maybe the psychology of all this has something to do with what we do or don't perceive as coincidences

Earlier I was watching YouTube on my TV and a video about Clark Gable came up. It detailed his gum problems which caused the loss most of his teeth and the need for dentures by the age of 36.

He also had very bad breath. His female co-stars disliked getting close to him because of it.

I hadn't known about this and was highly amused.

Now I'm watching the recent adaptation of Blithe Spirit. The protagonist is a screenwriter and his wife suggests Clark Gable as the star of his next big work. The producer replies 'Good actor, terrible breath. Very tricky for the leading ladies.'

If i hadn't seen the video about Gable I'd've thought this was made up!

tl:dr - Two mentions of Clark Gable's bad breath in short order.
Was looking for something on'ere and came across this post, at the same time as the TV is playing a documentary* about forensic science.

And yup, the current subject is forensic dentistry: how a murder victim's head was identified even after being cut off, burned and crushed because his dentist could prove he'd made the man's dentures.

The Universe is telling me to see my own dentist before all my teeth fall out from neglect.

*Catching History's Criminals: The Forensics Story

escargot make sure you get your teeth checked. I thought that i had bad sinus with cheek and jaw pain and couldn't even see the dentist for a week when the tooth started reacting.
Finished up having a molar out as it was badly cracked, no decay and the pain has mostly subsided now.

escargot make sure you get your teeth checked. I thought that i had bad sinus with cheek and jaw pain and couldn't even see the dentist for a week when the tooth started reacting.
Finished up having a molar out as it was badly cracked, no decay and the pain has mostly subsided now.
Yup, thank you, I will ring them tomorrow!

So this is weird.

Last night my guest brought up the subject of working as an extra. I said had I not told you I used to do that? It's been at least 18 months since I did any . I said how I was always being typecast as a policeman ( which simultaneously flatters and amuses me as I'm a middle aged short arse)

This morning I got a direct personal text from the casting agency asking if I was available asap to play an 1800s....er... policeman.

I'm not, but the coincidence and confirmation of my being stereotyped amused me.

Told my siblings on WhatsApp.

Sister and oldest brother replied....
Screenshot_20210521-124113~2.png

Send them to maximus he’s had a bit of experience.Acting i mean not coppering :friends::points:

Last edited:
We are supposed to put our bins where it's a straight stretch as the trucks can't pick up in the curve part of the court where we are.
Anyway my daughter had a couple of online deliveries with lots of paper so I thought I'd pop it into the recycle bin this morning.
Place 2 doors down had dumped loads of loose maccas garbage in and also a couple of lots of rubbish in plastic bags which you can be fined for putting in the recyclable bin so I took those out and put in their household bin with the lid sticking up. If I hadn't decided to put the extra paper out I wouldn't have known.
Just thought it was a coincidence although a bit more of a whinge I guess.

I had to smile earlier.

I'd parked off-campus and was walking back to my car along a reasonably busy road. As I gazed about me, I noticed a van go past me with a personalised numberplate including SIL. The next car to pass me heading in the same direction had a personalised numberplate including SAL. I had my fingers crossed for the next one to include SOL, but sadly ti did not materialise!

How often do you encounter a word in a YouTube link? This is the second time I remember:
httpXXX://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpBqExxonME
Library of Babylon stuff, this ...

Yesterday our Assistant Lab Manager arrived slightly late and in a bit of a tizz due to a problem with the plumbing in her house; the previous evening, whilst her son was showering, water had flooded down into the kitchen below and she had just yelled at him presuming that he hadn't got the shower curtain arranged properly, but then when she was showering in the morning, water was again pouring through the extractor hood in the kitchen. Then she had to deal with a leakage in one of the plant growth cabinets at the end of the lab. Finally she went into one of the plant growth rooms to find water pouring through the ceiling there as well - at which point, she turned round and asked "Is it me?"

Another musical moment! Earlier this morning in the kitchen, I found myself singing "The Air that I Breathe" by the Hollies - no reason whatsoever, it just popped into my head. An hour or so later, whilst making lunch, I was playing music from my phone and that song came up. I swear the Apple Mindreading facility is getting better...

Last edited:
Back