• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

Coincidences: l love to trawl through charity shops. Yesterday, in Countytown, l spotted on a bookshelf a volume of Fortean interest that l’ve had on my mental to-do list for quite some time:

Necropolis: London and lts Dead, by Catharine Arnold.

Score!

In the very next chazzy shop, not just racked with all the other tomes but on top of a shelf, with cover facing the customer:

Bedlam: London and lts Mad, also Catharine Arnold!

Result!

Both now reside in my tottering to-read pile.

maximus otter

Look, I've told you before- absolutely no need to boast about how young you are. It's not clever.

The 80's were great for me too, but a pretty dreadful decade for some.
The funny thing is, that at the time I hated the mainstream 'pop' music, (as I was a rocker) but now find loads of it on 'the youtube' that I now like.

The funny thing is, that at the time I hated the mainstream 'pop' music, (as I was a rocker) but now find loads of it on 'the youtube' that I now like.
Yup, pop music was everywhere - shops, pubs, work, yer Ma's kitchen radio - so you couldn't get away from it. It's part of our history.

Please, ma'am, what the &%#!* are racing snakes?!!?
Will all you people over there pleasssse sssstart sssspeaking Englissssh?
<sob> I just don't understand your language. :worry:
Don't worry. We can't understand her half the time either.

For a moment this morning, I thought the "algorithms" were more clever than I could possibly imagine.

Over the last couple of days, a work colleague, James Reed, has messaged me several times in the evening. We get on well but have not been in the habit of contacting each other outside of work, but the exchange was prompted by something specific. Last night we exchanged maybe 20 messages.

This morning, I connected my phone to my speaker and opened Spotify and on the "suggestions" screen, the first artist was Jimmy Reed.

Most of my listening is rockabilly and early country music, occasionally blues, and the odd bit of rock from the double denim era. As far as I can recall, I had never searched for or listened to Jimmy Reed before.

Yesterday, waiting at a pharmacy to collect a prescription, I saw a woman ask for something to relieve toothache.
She was asked if she had a hole in a tooth and was then offered a product for it.

I was listening hard as I'm nosy like that. :wink2:

Just now a temporary filling fell out of one of Techy's teeth so I was able to offer sound advice about specific pain relief. :cool:

Does a double minor make a major? A doubly pleasing little coincidence today.

I have a dental appointment for the end of the month. Today i received a text from the dentists saying there had been a cancellation for tomorrow afternoon, ring this number if i want it. Well i didn't have to ring, i just walked through their door..as i was passing the corner of their street at the moment the message arrived.

The secondary pleasure only became apparent when i mentioned it to a friend on the phone. My dentist's appointment is genuinely at 2.30. I never realised i was living an old joke til i said it out loud.

Does a double minor make a major? A doubly pleasing little coincidence today.

I have a dental appointment for the end of the month. Today i received a text from the dentists saying there had been a cancellation for tomorrow afternoon, ring this number if i want it. Well i didn't have to ring, i just walked through their door..as i was passing the corner of their street at the moment the message arrived.

The secondary pleasure only became apparent when i mentioned it to a friend on the phone. My dentist's appointment is genuinely at 2.30. I never realised i was living an old joke til i said it out loud.
I had a brilliant Indian dentist called Atif. He was a sport about every single patient saying 'I've come about my teef, Atif!' :chuckle:

Yesterday, waiting at a pharmacy to collect a prescription, I saw a woman ask for something to relieve toothache.
She was asked if she had a hole in a tooth and was then offered a product for it.

Just now a temporary filling fell out of one of Techy's teeth so I was able to offer sound advice about specific pain relief. :cool:
A friend gave me an old book about psychic healing.
I've just read a chapter about some US people called the Fullers who could repair teeth psychically. If only.

The Fullers was founded by Willard Fuller.
Wow! What a charlatan! And guess what? He was a Florida Man!*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Fuller
"It was alleged that Fuller could cause dental fillings to appear spontaneously, change silver into golden fillings, straighten crooked teeth or produce new teeth. However, magicians and skeptics have found these claims dubious, unsupported by any solid evidence."
Gee, really?

* However, he was born in Louisiana, and later made it to Australia, where he was convicted of fraud.

Thanks for the information. There was a chapter about him in a book about psychic healers
. Didn't know he had been out here so maybe before my time.

Interesting one on Facebook just now. The article/link is pretty non-Fortean about horrendous lets and rental properties. However, they chose to headline it Hellscape.

This is the screenshot I took when at that precise moment I wondered about opening it up and reading the article. Now look closely.

Hellscape.jpg

Interesting one on Facebook just now. The article/link is pretty non-Fortean about horrendous lets and rental properties. However, they chose to headline it Hellscape.

This is the screenshot I took when at that precise moment I wondered about opening it up and reading the article. Now look closely.

View attachment 46142
Do you have a link, so we can see it at a larger size? Thanks.

I felt that way too during the 80's (a decade I largly endured). Maybe it's that the very best music from any decade will stand the test of time and looking back at it from nearly forty years on, the very best is just that - outstandingly good. I'm more of a 70's music person - I need to be reminded exactly how much of it was dreadful dross, as all I remember is the good stuff...

Last edited:

View attachment 46142

Suitably Satanic number of likes!

Do you have a link, so we can see it at a larger size? Thanks

Ah. The actual article was about a seeming bargain for a flat - until it was discovered that the advertised "bedroom" was a curtained-off alcove barely large enough for a single bed.

The interest of the pop-up in my news feed was that it was headlined "a bleak hellscape" with, at that exact moment I looked at it - it had exactly 666 likes. This struck me as a trivial but odd coincidence. (I've looked again since: it soon upped to 717 likes and the fleeting moment of "now there's a thing" was gone)

@Nosmo King posted this on the Flatulence thread -

Here is an interesting and humorous article from the Guardian regarding flatulence in other cultures.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1695,00.html

This bit caught my eye:

Does there exist a culture or society in which it is not regarded as impolite or shameful to break wind in public?

YES. THE night letter sorters at Leicester Post Office regard such behaviour as both macho and amusing. I, however, don't.
R. C. Draycott, Leicester​

I remember reading that very bitter reply, which is from so long ago it was first printed in the newspaper rather than online, and was for some reason thinking about it a few days ago.

It had stuck in my mind because I used to work as a Royal Mail night sorter in the late '70s, though not in Leicester, and there was indeed a culture of competitive farting. Poor R. C. Draycott was not amused.

Never thought I'd read it again. :chuckle:

Come on then. Share. What exactly is the cure?

Here's a good'un.

A nephew of the ex died in infancy and is buried with the ex's maternal grandparents.

I know where the grave is but I don't visit.
However, I was recently thinking about little Daniel for some reason and had the urge to take flowers.

Today I took the flowers and noticed that the Granndad died on this date, 70 years ago. Escet's birthday. Not only that, but he was also 38, which is Escet's age.

I had to pedal off to the next town and take a stiff swig of squash!

trl:dr -
On Escet's birthday last year I impulsively put flowers on his great-grandparents'/baby cousin's grave.
While there I noticed the date was also the anniversary of the death of the great-grandfather who'd died at the same age as Escet had reached that day.

It's Escet's birthday again today and I did exactly the same thing, only realising as I left that it was the anniversary.

It bloody well 'appened again! o_O

Today I popped along to the family graves that I tidy up. As I had a lot of flowers I decided to take some to my kids' Great-Grampies'/baby cousin's grave.

Got there, tutted at the neglected state of it and did my bit, leaving it clean and tidy and with lovely flowers.

Took a photo to send to the Snailets and strolled away, then suddenly remembered it's Escet's birthday and so the anniversary of the Great-Granddad's death.
They got me again! :)

Last edited:
Just now we were watching an item about Havana Syndrome on the BBC news. Suddenly the TV started doing that whistling thing, really shrill and high-pitched.

I wound it back and told Techy to listen for it but he couldn't hear a thing. We listened a few times and he got fed up of trying to hear it.

The news is still on and so is the whistling. Haven't ever heard it this loud before.

Havana Syndrome, eh. Just a coincidence.

Or is it? o_O

Just now we were watching an item about Havana Syndrome on the BBC news. Suddenly the TV started doing that whistling thing, really shrill and high-pitched.

I wound it back and told Techy to listen for it but he couldn't hear a thing. We listened a few times and he got fed up of trying to hear it.

The news is still on and so is the whistling. Haven't ever heard it this loud before.

Or is it? o_O
Putin has got your number. Watch out for Russian tourists coming to visit the Crewe attractions.

Or is it? o_O
Is that a CRT (tube) TV?
I wouldn't expect it from a flatscreen TV.

Back