• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cold Fusion

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is a subject that has slipped out of the limelight recently, but the general reaction of the scientific establishment to it seems to me to put it near (if not within) the boundaries of Forteana. A brief summary of the story to date:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/639202.asp#BODY

Another will-o-the-wisp, or a signpost to the future?

WOW! 63 views and not a single post. I figgered I'd put something here. A little off the subject of fusion, but in the spirit of free enegery is metallic hydrogen:

Here

and SciAm

Here (Nitrogen)... the Hydrogen article is not online, but is in the May 2000 issue.

Also a regular web search on "metallic hydrogen" will bring up quite a few pages.

The cold fusion research has been ongoing in several countries, despite fading from the popular press, and I recently saw some references to it in the breaking news section. I'll dive in and hook out some stuff as it should be in the archive still...

Cold Fusion - Fleischman and Pons Discredited?

Reading the BBC link about the proposed sono-luminescence cold fusion claims I came across this statement re the Fleischman/Pons Palladium Cold Fusion:-

When other scientists checked the work, the claims were found to be groundless.

Is this actually true, or were they just hounded out of existance as so many 'heretics' are? I've seen numerous claims and counter claims be nothing that I find compelling from either camp...

8-)

That sort of statement appears quite regularly in scientific articles. Whenever you see such an assertion that comes without supporting references ignore it.

A similar example might have been, "Copernicus claimed that the Sun is at the centre of the universe but, when other scientists checked the work, the claims were found to be groundless."

Well, it was actually investigated by other scientists. And if the sun was the center, you would expect that you could see the stars moving slightly, parallaxis. But they couldn't find that movement. It was actually because the movement was about 1/4 degree, and they couldn't see any less than a degree with their instruments.

The claims of of kold fusion pretty much were found to be groundless and you can't really blame the academic community for coming to that conclusion. Virtually every electrochemist in the world tried very hard to replicate the Pons and Fleischmann results - it just didn't work for the vast majority of them.

Also, the results were entirely incomprehensible in terms of what is known about nuclear fusion, which was the main problem: no-one knew what the hell was going on, so reproducibility was near impossible. Under the circumstances, it's not surprising everyone got fed up with it and decided it had been a load of nonsense.

Which is not to say that there isn't really something going on:

Cold fusion experiment produces mysterious results

It's also worth noting that there's nothing remotely cold about the claims of sonoluminescence fusion - the temperature in the collapsing bubble needs to reach in the region of a million Kelvin for the fusion to occur.

It's perhaps worth bearing in mind that whilst it is generally felt that cold fusion a la F & P isn't happening, there is a form of cold fusion that is accepted.

This is muon catalysed fusion. You take your more massive hydrogen isotopes, bombard them with a beam of muons, and Bob's your uncle. The much more massive muons replace the electrons binding the two nuclei together, thus significantly reducing the bond length of the molecule. These much chumier nuclei then have a greater opportunity to fuse and produce helium.

Strangely enough there was a belief that this may actually have been going on in some of the more successful F & P experiments. There was an attempt to correlate the "success" with the altitude of the lab involved, as labs at higher altitudes would be exposed to higher fluxes of muons. (As they are naturally produced by cosmic rays in the upper atmosphere.)

:)

U.S. Will Give Cold Fusion Second Look, After 15 Years

By KENNETH CHANG

Published: March 25, 2004

Cold fusion, briefly hailed as the silver-bullet solution to the world's energy problems and since discarded to the same bin of quackery as paranormal phenomena and perpetual motion machines, will soon get a new hearing from Washington.

Despite being pushed to the fringes of physics, cold fusion has continued to be worked on by a small group of scientists, and they say their figures unambiguously verify the original report, that energy can be generated simply by running an electrical current through a jar of water.

Last fall, cold fusion scientists asked the Energy Department to take a second look at the process, and last week, the department agreed.

No public announcement was made. A British magazine, New Scientist, first reported the news this week, and Dr. James F. Decker, deputy director of the science office in the Energy Department, confirmed it in an e-mail interview.

"It was my personal judgment that their request for a review was reasonable," Dr. Decker said.

For advocates of cold fusion, the new review brings them to the cusp of vindication after years of dismissive ridicule.

"I am absolutely delighted that the D.O.E. is finally going to do the right thing," Dr. Eugene F. Mallove, editor of Infinite Energy magazine, said. "There can be no other conclusion than a major new window has opened on physics."

The research is too preliminary to determine whether cold fusion, even if real, will live up to its initial billing as a cheap, bountiful source of energy, said Dr. Peter Hagelstein, a professor of electrical engineering and computer science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who has been working on a theory to explain how the process works. Experiments have generated small amounts of energy, from a fraction of a watt to a few watts.

Still, Dr. Hagelstein added, "I definitely think it has potential for commercial energy production."

Dr. Decker said the scientists, not yet chosen, would probably spend a few days listening to presentations and then offer their thoughts individually. The review panel will not conduct experiments, he said.

"What's on the table is a fairly straightforward question, is there science here or not?" Dr. Hagelstein said. "Most fundamental to this is to get the taint associated with the field hopefully removed."

Fusion, the process that powers the Sun, combines hydrogen atoms, releasing energy as a byproduct. In March 1989, Drs. B. Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann, two chemists at the University of Utah, said they had generated fusion in a tabletop experiment using a jar of heavy water, where the water molecules contain a heavier version of hydrogen, deuterium, and two palladium electrodes. A current running through the electrodes pulled deuterium atoms into the electrodes, which somehow generated heat, the scientists said. Dr. Fleischmann speculated that the heat was coming from fusion of the deuterium atoms.

Other scientists trying to reproduce the seemingly simple experiment found the effects fickle and inconsistent. Because cold fusion, if real, cannot be explained by current theories, the inconsistent results convinced most scientists that it had not occurred. The signs of extra heat, critics said, were experimental mistakes or generated by the current or, perhaps, chemical reactions in the water, but not fusion.

Critics also pointed out that to produce the amount of heat reported, conventional fusion reactions would throw out lethal amounts of radiation, and they argued that the continued health of Drs. Pons and Fleischmann, as well as other experimenters, was proof that no fusion occurred.

Some cold fusion scientists now say they can produce as much as two to three times more energy than in the electric current. The results are also more reproducible, they say. They add that they have definitely seen fusion byproducts, particularly helium in quantities proportional to the heat generated.

After a conference in August, Dr. Hagelstein wrote to Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham, asking for a meeting. Dr. Hagelstein; Dr. Michael McKubre of SRI International in Menlo Park, Calif.; and Dr. David J. Nagel of George Washington University met Dr. Decker on Nov. 6.

"They presented some data and asked for a review of the scientific research that has been conducted," Dr. Decker said. "The scientists who came to see me are from excellent scientific institutions and have excellent credentials."

Scientists working on conventional fusion said cold fusion research had fallen off their radar screens.

"I'm surprised," Dr. Stewart C. Prager, a professor of physics at the University of Wisconsin, said. "I thought most of the cold fusion effort had phased out. I'm just not aware of any physics results that motivated this."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/25/science/25FUSI.html?

Boy, this should send CSICOP straight over the moon. I can't wait.:cool:

It's the little bubbles!
They cause sonic nuclear cavitation!

:D

A suggestion why the DoE's report on CF missed the mark:

The Correa Solution to the 'Cold Fusion' Enigma:

The 2004 DoE Report on the submitted Cold Fusion Review

(or, Why neither Cold Fusion researchers nor the DoE
could dislodge Cold Fusion from the realm of 'pathological science')

&

The Correa Solution to the generation of anomalous heat in Table-Top Fusion Reactors

But why the Correa Solution you ask? Well let me continue:

by Paulo N. Correa, MSc, PhD, and Alexandra N. Correa, HBA

Which is handy ;)

www.aetherometry.com/correa_nuclear_fusion.html

this whole shibang seems a bit strange to me.
why bother?
why not just extract hydrogen from water?
a similar procces is currently allowing people to breath in nuclear submarines.

Tin Finger said:
this whole shibang seems a bit strange to me.
why bother?
why not just extract hydrogen from water?
a similar procces is currently allowing people to breath in nuclear submarines.

I hear that hydrogen would'nt be very efficient. You end up consuming more energy making it, than the actual output of energy from the hydrogen. (sorry if this has been said here, before.)

Do people breathe hydrogen in submarines? I thought it was helium that made you talk funny...

no its oxygen the other component of water the hydrogen is used as a fuel (also used in space vehicles)

Yes; that's right.
However making hydrogen (and oxygen) from water consumes energy, while this cold fusion process is supposed to produce energy.

Cold Fusion doesn't seem to work in reality, however, despite the efforts of considerable numbers of fringe scientists.

Even if it did produce the tiny amount of excess energy we are talking about it the distillation of deuterium to make the heavy water would almost certainly consume more energy than the process produces; so the whole idea is pointless.

A source of energy is only worthwhile if it covered every cost incurred in its production. Coal and oil do that; very few other sources manage the trick.

iirc in cold fusion the extra energy is in the form of heat given off by aleged fusion of certain attoms.
wouldnt the same heat be given off if the electrons were to change orbit?
possibly one element to lose one for another to gain?
isnt it possible this has somthing to do with the weak nuclear force which holds atoms together?
or possibly an interaction with gamma rays, dark matter etc
sorry for my ignorance but thought this is the best place to ask as ive googled it but well...........
or is the whole question one of quackery.

Tin Finger said:
iirc in cold fusion the extra energy is in the form of heat given off by aleged fusion of certain attoms.
wouldnt the same heat be given off if the electrons were to change orbit?
possibly one element to lose one for another to gain?
The energies differ by orders of magnitude. Taking hydrogen, or deuterium, or tritium (which are chemically almost indistinguishable), for example, the maximum energy that can be obtained by an electronic transition (which is what you mean by "electrons changing orbit") is 13.6 eV.

For deuterium-tritium fusion, however, the reaction releases 17.57 MeV of energy, i.e more than a million times as much energy.

(An "ev" or electron-volt, is the energy gained by an electron when it moves across a potential difference of 1 Volt. It is a useful unit for dealing with these sorts of energies.) :)

yes thats makes perfect sense if fusion was indeed taking place but the amout of excess energy reported is much smaller so i would have thought that something other is indeed taking place.
could this possibly explain why this experiment is hard to reproduce as its an external infuence that causes the excess energy i suppose it depends on cosmic weather lol..

Published online: 29 March 2007; | doi:10.1038/news070326-12
Cold fusion is back at the American Chemical Society
Chemistry meeting grants audience to low-energy nuclear work.
Katharine Sanderson

Pons and Fleischmann started a field with so much controversy it's hard to even say the words 'cold fusion' these days.

PHILIPPE PLAILLY / EURELIOS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

After an 18-year hiatus, the American Chemical Society (ACS) seems to be warming to cold fusion. Today that society is holding a symposium at their national meeting in Chicago, Illinois, on 'low-energy nuclear reactions', the official name for cold fusion.

Some say the move shows that researchers are re-opening their eyes to work in this field. Others maintain that there is still no evidence for cold fusion and see the session only as a curiosity.

Back in 1989, Martin Fleischmann and Stanley Pons sparked a controversy when they announced that they had created excess energy from an electrochemical reaction of deuterium and palladium at near-room temperature. They announced that the energy could only be explained by a nuclear reaction, which could possibly yield cheap, clean energy for the world.

Fleischmann and Pons were first hailed as heroes, but then no one could reproduce their results. Some say the field has never recovered from the scandal that surrounded the dramatic rise and fall of the idea at that time.

When Pons spoke at an ACS meeting in 1989 he was greeted by a standing ovation from a packed hall of thousands of chemists. The ACS has not run a session on cold fusion since. And when it was first suggested to environmental chemistry programme chair Gopal Coimbatore that a session should now be convened he was initially inclined to say no. "The skepticism is built into everyone," he says.

But he was persuaded. "It's been a long time," says Coimbatore, whose own research is in biosensors and toxicology, "let's look at it again."

Real effect?

Fleischmann, now in his 80s, has recently done a raft of calculations and tests that he says proves that his data are not just a mistake. "I've seen these effects, I'm convinced they're real," says Melvin Miles of the University of La Verne, California, who presented Fleischmann's results at the symposium. Fleischmann's calculations show that his measurements of the power given off were accurate to plus or minus 0.1 milliwatts, says Miles; and Miles says he has seen hundreds of milliwatts of power given off in these experiments, so the error is too small to account for the result, he adds.

Others are less convinced. "It still looks a lot like 1989," says vocal cold-fusion critic Robert Park at the University of Maryland. "If anything is going on, it's not fusion."

That cold-fusion critics such as Park even acknowledge there might be any effect at all is a major change in attitude, says Frank Gordon from the US Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center in San Diego, California, who is also working on low-energy nuclear reactions with colleagues Stan Szpak and Pamela Mosier-Boss.

Back seat

The American Physical Society (APS), in contrast to its chemical counterpart, regularly holds cold-fusion sessions at its annual meetings. At the March 2007 meeting, the society ran for the first time its two cold-fusion sessions on the first, rather than last (and poorly attended) day. And the sessions attracted a new, if tentative audience, says Gordon. "There were people that came and sat at the back of the room," he says.

The ACS session today granted them an audience of about a dozen people.

Mosier-Boss presented her team's latest results with a technique called co-deposition, where they electrochemically deposit palladium onto a cathode in the presence of deuterium — a heavy isotope of hydrogen. During their electrochemical reactions they have seen mini explosions, evidence for neutron and tritium production, and a warming of the cell that can't be accounted for by normal chemistry, they say — although they are careful to avoid the 'CF' words.

"We have shown it's possible to stimulate nuclear reactions by electrochemical methods," says Gordon. Others say this conclusion is premature. But they have published some 16 papers over the past 18 years, including one earlier this year1.

Miles is also careful to avoid using the words 'cold fusion'. "There are code names you can use," he says. In 2004 Miles and colleagues were granted a US patent for a palladium material doped with boron for use in low-energy nuclear reactions, but if the patent application contained the CF words it would never have been granted, Miles says. "We kind of disguised what we did."

Just in case

The ACS meeting has sustainability as its theme, and the energy problems facing the world might have prompted the renewed interest in cold fusion in that forum. "We're going to face a severe energy crisis soon," the ACS's Coimbatore says, "Scientists are the most able ones to look for a new source."

But most are for the moment skeptical that low-energy nuclear reactions are the way forward. "The Pons-Fleischmann fiasco damaged the subject but it is the lack of a clear scientific, experimental demonstration of the effect that does the real damage," says Michael Loughlin, who works on another sort of fusion — very, very hot fusion — with the UK Atomic Energy Authority in Culham. "There is no strong evidence that nuclear fusion is taking place."

Loughlin sees no great significance in the ACS's inclusion of cold fusion this year, but says it is good that there is a forum for discussion, "just in case some progress is made".

Others are more scathing: "It's like a Christian convention having a sermon on Islam," said one chemist, who declined to be named, when he heard about the session.

Visit our newsblog to read and post comments about this story.

References
Szpak S., et al. Naturwissenschaften, (2007) DOI:10.1007/s00114-007-0221-7.

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070326/ ... 26-12.html

Cold fusion is still a hot topic for some. Heres a report on a conference & research.

Cold-Fusion Graybeards Keep the Research Coming
By Mark Anderson 08.22.07 | 2:00 AM

Lawrence Forsley plays up his resemblance to the iconic Albert Einstein by his choice of tie.
Photo: Courtesy of Mark Anderson
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts -- At an MIT lecture hall on Saturday, a convocation of 50 researchers and investors gathered to discuss a phenomenon that allegedly does not exist.

Despite a backdrop of meager funding and career-killing derision from mainstream scientists and engineers, cold fusion is anything but a dead field of research. Presenters at the MIT event estimated that 3,000 published studies from scientists around the world have contributed to the growing canon of evidence suggesting that small but promising amounts of energy can be generated using the infamous tabletop apparatus.

How reproducible the experiments might be, however, and how the mysterious phenomenon works are still very much open to interpretation.

Demonstrating recent results of energetic radiation streaming from a running cold-fusion experiment, Lawrence Forsley of JWK Technologies in Annandale, Virginia, passed around samples of his group's experimental apparatus -- all of which could be packed into a shoebox with room to spare. The compact plastic and rubber tubing illustrate the intrinsic paradox of this field: Compared to the warehouses worth of billion-dollar gadgetry needed to run "hot fusion," cold fusion research is cheap to fund. And yet cash is the primary limiting factor holding the research back.

The scarcity of funding -- and of young blood -- may testify to the discredited nature of the field, but the "greybeards" (as one presenter jokingly referred to his colleagues) keep turning up new results.

Scientists at the U.S. Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center, or SPAWAR, in San Diego performed the work Forsley presented, which was published in June in the German journal Die Naturwissenschaften. It joins a long list of cold-fusion research papers that many scientists now reflexively write off as junk.

Even some of cold fusion's top proponents are cautious when talking about the science.

"Should people believe in cold fusion based on the SPAWAR experiments (alone)? Probably not," said MIT's Peter Hagelstein, a co-sponsor of the conference, in an interview. "But ... that's not how science works. In the cold-fusion business, a very large number of experiments done by a large number of laboratories over a large number of years have contributed to a knowledge base. And (the SPAWAR) experiments potentially tell you something about what's going on inside, if we can get a confirmation that they're right."

The cold-fusion story began in March 1989, when two scientists from the University of Utah reported they had integrated an isotope of hydrogen (.pdf) called "deuterium" into a palladium rod and, running electrical currents through it, produced nuclear fusion in a jar. Several leading researchers around the United States, however, failed to replicate the results and soon pronounced cold fusion debunked, kicking the entire field to the sidelines of mainstream research.

Today's understanding of nuclear fusion, which involves the synthesis of two hydrogens to make one helium in an energy-creating reaction, doesn't allow for the type of reaction reported in 1989. The only proven recipe to make helium out of two deuteriums requires re-creating the conditions inside the nearest working fusion reactor: the sun.

Creating stellar temperatures and pressures inside a fusion reactor today requires more energy than the fusion reactions give back. In striking contrast to the standard CF tabletop equipment, construction of the world's most promising conventional fusion reactor, the $12.1 billion ITER in Cadarache, France, is expected to begin next year. It will take eight years to complete, and with it scientists hope to see commercial fusion power by 2040.

MIT's Peter Hagelstein, on the other hand, said "cold fusion" reactions have yielded surplus energy from as far back as the initial experiments in 1989. Verification of these controversial results is not the problem -- many labs around the world have reproduced parts of the results many times.

Instead, the damning element has been caprice.

"Excess energy comes in bursts in these experiments," said Hagelstein. "The effect has been observed in many other laboratories. It's also not been observed in other laboratories, especially in the early days."

Hagelstein's co-host, physician and electrical engineer Mitchell Swartz, reported his continued refinement of his own cold-fusion experiments, which he publicly displayed in operation over seven days at MIT in 2003.

"We have been running these (experiments) for so long," Swartz told the audience, "that the question now is not just can we (generate) excess heat, it's can we get a kilowatt? Can we get a small car moving on this stuff?"

Robert Weber, managing director of the Watertown, Massachusetts-based consulting firm Strategy Kinetics, has worked with startup technologies and says cold fusion is in a bind in the United States today. Researchers need at least $50 to $100 million in seed money, he said, to fully test its viability and commercial applications, if any.

With research budgets around the world primarily funding "hot fusion" research, the burden falls to angel investors, corporations (such as Mitsubishi, which has funded cold fusion experiments) and a few countries (such as Japan, China, South Korea and Israel) willing to venture into cold fusion's murky waters.

"If you look at the long tail of innovation, new technologies from the first disclosure to commercialization," Weber said, "it can take 20 years. So we're getting there."

Johnanne Winchester, a member of the development committee for the United Nations' International Year of Planet Earth, said she hopes to appeal to dot-com multi-millionaires and billionaires to help bridge the funding gap.

"I'm interested in helping (create) a renaissance in cold fusion … in rebranding it and getting the word out that it's alive and well and amazing things are happening," she said.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie ... old_fusion

Yep! it's dead, but it won't lie down...

Cold fusion - hot news again?
05 May 2007
Bennett Daviss

FROM a distance, the plastic wafer Frank Gordon is proudly displaying looks like an ordinary microscope slide. Yet to Gordon it is hugely more significant than that. If he is to be believed, the pattern of pits embedded in this unassuming sliver of polymer provides confirmation for the idea that nuclear fusion reactions can be made to happen at room temperature, using simple lab equipment. It's a dramatic claim, because nuclear fusion promises virtually limitless energy.

Gordon's plastic wafer is the product of the latest in a long line of "cold fusion" experiments conducted at the US navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center in San Diego, California. What makes this one stand out is that it has been published in the respected peer-reviewed journal Naturwissenschaften, which counts Albert Einstein, Werner Heisenberg and Konrad Lorenz among its eminent past authors (DOI: 10.1007/s00114-007-0221-7). Could it really be true that nuclear fusion can be coaxed into action at room temperature, using only simple lab equipment? Most nuclear physicists don't think so, and dismiss Gordon's pitted piece of plastic as nothing more than the result of a badly conceived experiment. So who is right?

The notion that cold fusion might be possible burst onto the scene in March 1989. That's when chemists Martin Fleischmann and Stanley Pons, working at the University of Utah, announced that they had run a table-top electrolysis experiment in which a fusion reaction took place, producing more energy than it consumed. A world of endless, virtually free fuel seemed to be in the offing - but not for long. Fleischmann and Pons's results quickly proved elusive in other research labs. The hapless pair were laughed out of mainstream science, and most nuclear physicists since have refused to give the slightest credence to the idea.

Not everyone gave up on cold fusion, however. Electrochemists Pamela Mosier-Boss and Stanislaw Szpak at the San Diego centre's navigation and applied sciences department were intrigued. Fortunately, so was Gordon, their boss, who provided limited funding for experiments. Mosier-Boss and Szpak have now run hundreds of tests at weekends and during their spare moments, and have published more than a dozen papers in various peer-reviewed journals (New Scientist, 29 March 2003, p 36).

Typically, these table-top experiments have involved lowering an electrode made of the precious metal palladium into a solution of an inert salt dissolved in "heavy water" - in which a large proportion of the hydrogen atoms are of the element's heavy isotope deuterium. In deuterium, the atomic nucleus contains a neutron in addition to the usual single proton.
When an electric current is passed through the solution, deuterium atoms start to pack into spaces in the palladium's lattice-like atomic framework. Eventually, after a period of days or weeks, there is approximately one deuterium atom for each palladium atom, at which point things start to happen.

Quite what happens or why isn't clear. Whatever it is appears to release more energy, as heat, than the experiment consumes. Proponents of cold fusion claim that the excess energy comes from a nuclear fusion reaction involving the deuterium nuclei.

To get a fusion reaction going normally requires temperatures of millions of degrees, to give the nuclei enough energy to overcome the repulsion between the positive charges of their protons. The result is that two deuterium nuclei combine to produce either tritium - an even heavier hydrogen isotope - plus a free proton, or an atom of helium-3 and a free neutron. Either way the reaction also liberates a large amount of energy.
There is, however, no consensus for how cold fusion might work, and with research groups struggling to reproduce each other's results, most physicists dismiss the few watts of extra energy that emerge from experiments like Mosier-Boss and Szpak's as some kind of aberration. So rather than just looking for extra energy, the pair have deployed a detector long used by nuclear scientists, in an attempt to come up with convincing evidence that nuclear events are taking place.

That's where Gordon's sliver of polymer comes in. It is made of CR-39, a clear polycarbonate plastic that is commonly used to make spectacle lenses and shatter-proof windows - and which can also record the passage of subatomic particles. The neutrons, protons and alpha particles that spew from genuine nuclear reactions shatter the bonds within the polymer's molecules to leave distinctive patterns of pits and tracks that can be seen under a microscope.

Plastic fantasticThe use of CR-39 as a detector goes back decades. In the cash-strapped Soviet Union, most physicists were unable to afford state-of-the-art nuclear instruments. Instead, they became expert at "reading" CR-39 detectors, identifying particles from the shape and depth of the tracks they left behind.

Cold-fusion researchers at the University of Illinois and the University of Minnesota have used CR-39 since the 1990s, laying the foundation for Mosier-Boss and Szpak's latest experiment. "You don't need complicated instrumentation," Gordon says. "It's an easy detection tool."

Spzak has also developed a technique called co-deposition that speeds up the process of packing deuterium atoms into a palladium lattice. Instead of using palladium for the negative electrode in his electrolysis experiment, he uses nickel or gold wire which is bathed in a solution of palladium chloride and lithium chloride dissolved in heavy water. When a current passes through the solution, equal amounts of deuterium and palladium are deposited onto the wire (see Diagram). Within seconds, the palladium is packed with deuterium atoms and the reaction - whatever it is - begins.
Mosier-Boss and Szpak say their cells show telltale signs of nuclear reactions, including anomalous amounts of tritium and low-intensity X-rays, just minutes after co-deposition starts. They say the electrode can sometimes become a few degrees warmer than the surrounding solution.
In their latest experiment, Mosier-Boss and Spzak placed wafers of CR-39 against the electrode. When they examined them after running the experiment, they discovered that regions nearest the electrode were speckled with microscopic pits, while those further away were not. A control experiment without any palladium chloride in the solution produced only a few randomly scattered tracks that could be accounted for by background radiation. The researchers have also deliberately inflicted chemical damage on the CR-39: it "looks like fluffy, popcorn-shaped eruptions" on the plastic, Mosier-Boss says, not pits or holes. They are trying to identify which particles might have left the tracks.

Nuclear scientists associated with the project who are well versed in reading CR-39 detectors say the results appear convincing. The pits "exactly mimic typical nuclear tracks in their depth, size, distribution, shape and contrast", says Lawrence Forsley, a physicist who has worked in fusion research for 16 years and is president of JWK Technologies in Annandale, Virginia, one of the San Diego centre's research partners.

Gary Phillips, a nuclear physicist who has used CR-39 detectors for 20 years to capture nuclear signatures and also works for JMK Technologies, is no less enthusiastic. "I've never seen such a high density of tracks before," he says. "It would have to be from a very intense source - a nuclear source. You cannot get this from any kind of chemical reaction."

Many outsiders are less impressed. Some physicists who have seen the initial results of the CR-39 experiments say Mosier-Boss and Szpak must have set up their equipment incompetently, read their data incorrectly, or somehow allowed radioactive detritus to contaminate their cells. Others suggest that anomalous background radiation from an unknown source or even showers of cosmic rays are responsible.

Forsley insists that those objections don't hold water. If there was enough background radiation in the San Diego lab to pock CR-39 wafers with so many pits in such a short time, Mosier-Boss and Szpak "would be cooked", he says. He also points out that any contamination of the experiment or external sources of radiation ought to scatter tracks randomly across the detectors, not concentrate them near the cells' electrodes as their detectors show.

Objectors also point to the difficulty of reproducing these results. While Mosier-Boss and Szpak claim they can produce the reaction at will, other labs have struggled to reproduce consistent, if any, results using co-deposition. One researcher who has had some success is Winthrop Williams at the University of California, Berkeley, who has replicated the navy's experiment with CR-39. At a meeting of the American Physical Society in March he reported similar numbers of pits around the negative electrode. "It is encouraging," says Williams. "I have more work ahead of me to precisely understand and interpret what I am observing."

The lack of a consistent theory to explain how the claimed fusion reaction might occur is another stumbling block. The science writer and debunker Shawn Carlson, who in the past has done research in nuclear physics, listened to Gordon and Mosier-Boss make their case at the National Defense Industrial Association conference in Washington DC last year. He was not convinced. "A collection of disjoint anomalies is more consistent with bad experimental technique than a great discovery," he says. "It would take independent verification from a number of labs to swing the tide in favour of cold fusion."

The sceptics are not having it all their own way, though. Several respected scientists at universities in the US, Europe and Asia are attempting to replicate the US navy's lab experiments. David Nagel, a physicist and research professor at George Washington University in Washington DC who has followed the cold fusion saga since its inception, reports a growing willingness by the US Department of Energy to consider funding experiments to follow up these tantalising hints.

Nagel also detects a more receptive climate at US military research outfits like DARPA and the Office of Naval Research, where he served as administrator and still has close ties. It's not just global warming or the end of oil that's opening people's minds, he says. "It's the weight of the evidence," with new results encouraging physicists to reconsider the case that was so swiftly and firmly closed 18 years ago. "This could be the year when things change for cold fusion," he says. Then he pauses. "Or maybe next year."

http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/mg19426021.000-cold-fusion--hot-news-again.html

Edit: Url resized. P_M

Good luck to them - I hope some of the objections don't come from people who want them to fail.

Rynner - what is so difficult about cold fusion? I know you know about physics from your previous posts.

I remember being at school and a bit of sodium something being put in a basin of water and it whizzing around and stuff.

That would seem to back up the idea that certain elements attract each other and rob each other of electrons or whatever when you put them next to each other.

If it was as easy as putting two things together and absorbing the heat from it to make steam to turn the turbines to generate electricity (I'm still frustrated with that old tech, it is old and I want Star Trek tech or Ian M Banks tech!) - then why hasn't it been done?

coldelephant said:
Rynner - what is so difficult about cold fusion? I know you know about physics from your previous posts.

I remember being at school and a bit of sodium something being put in a basin of water and it whizzing around and stuff.

That would seem to back up the idea that certain elements attract each other and rob each other of electrons or whatever when you put them next to each other.
The things you mention here are chemical reactions, which do indeed depend upon interactions between the electrons of atoms. But electrons occupy the mostly empty outer regions of atoms, and chemical reactions do not affect the (relatively) heavy nuclei of atoms at all.

Fusion refers to fusing the nuclei of light atoms together, since this will release energy. But nuclei, being positively charged, repel each other, so it's actually very difficult to force the nuclei together.

The traditional way to attempt this is by hot fusion, where thermal energy can overcome this repulsion. However, the energy costs are high, so if atomic nuclei can be caused to fuse at room temperatures the process would be much more efficient.

At present, however, the experimental evidence for this possibility is debatable, and neither is there any consensus over the the theory of what might be happening.

But the possibilities are so intrigueing, and the potential benefits are so huge, that many researchers are willing to tread this borderline between science and nonsense!

When you say that nuclei are positively charged, does this mean that they have more protons than electrons?

I ask because, if this were the case, then to make a nuclei negatively charged one would simply have more electrons than protons, right?

I bet it's not that simple though, there's always a catch.

What is the catch?

coldelephant said:
When you say that nuclei are positively charged, does this mean that they have more protons than electrons?

I ask because, if this were the case, then to make a nuclei negatively charged one would simply have more electrons than protons, right?

I bet it's not that simple though, there's always a catch.

What is the catch?
The nucleus of an atom is made up of Protons and Neutrons. Protons have a Positive charge and Neutrons have no charge, they're 'neutral.'

The Electrons surround the nucleus in a sort of cloud, or 'orbit,' rather like the Oort cloud of frozen comet chunks surrounds the Solar system, far out beyond the orbit of the Planets. Electrons, which have a 'Negative' charge, only come in towards the Nucleus at the expense of enormous amounts of energy, in order to overcome the Positive charge of the nucleus.

It's not quite the same as magnetism, where opposites attract, there are powerful forces, weak and strong, nuclear forces, competing to both repel and attract these sub-atomic particles.

However, the Electrons are also trapped in their orbital relationship to the Nucleus due to Electromagnetic Force. When, through the application of energy, they jump up, or down, from their orbital energy level, they give up little packets of energy, in the form of Photons.

Hope that helps.

Neutron tracks revive hopes for cold fusion
15:33 23 March 2009 by Colin Barras

Twenty years to the day [how Fortean! 8) ] that two electrochemists ignited controversy by announcing signs of cold fusion at an infamous press conference in Utah (watch a video of the 1989 event), a separate team has made a similar claim in the same US state. But this time, the evidence is being taken more seriously.

Back in 1989, Martin Fleischmann and Stanley Pons at the University of Utah announced the tantalising prospect of abundant, almost-free energy, but their claims of fusion reactions in a tabletop experiment were dismissed by nuclear physicists, not least because such reactions normally occur inside stars. The small quantity of extra energy they found was widely considered a fluke or the result of experimental error.

Now Pamela Mosier-Boss and colleagues at Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) in San Diego, California, are claiming to have made a "significant" discovery – clear evidence of the products of cold fusion.

On 23 March, the team presented its work at the American Chemical Society's spring conference in Salt Lake City, Utah, a few months after the study was published in a peer-reviewed journal (Naturwissenschaft, DOI: 10.1007/s00114-008-0449-x).

Plastic fantastic
Using a similar experimental setup to Fleischmann and Pons, the researchers found the "tracks" left behind by high-energy neutrons, which, they suggest, emerge from the fusion of a deuterium and tritium atom.

The team used a low-tech particle detector: a plastic called CR-39 that is otherwise used for spectacle lenses. When CR-39 is bombarded with subatomic charged particles, a small pit forms in the material with each impact.

The researchers placed a sample of CR-39 in contact with a gold or nickel cathode in an electrochemical cell filled with a mixture of palladium chloride, lithium chloride and deuterium oxide (D2O), so-called "heavy water". When a current was passed through the cell, palladium and deuterium became deposited on the cathode.

Triple tracks
After two to three weeks, the team found a small number of "triple tracks" in the plastic – three 8-micrometre-wide pits radiating from a point (see diagram, top right). The team says such a pattern occurs when a high-energy neutron strikes a carbon atom inside the plastic and shatters it into three charged alpha particles that rip through the plastic leaving tracks. No such tracks were seen if the experiment was repeated using normal rather than heavy water.

Johan Frenje at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, an expert at interpreting CR-39 tracks produced in conventional high-temperature fusion reactions, says the team's interpretation of what produced the tracks is valid.

"I must say that the data and their analysis seem to suggest that energetic neutrons have been produced," he says, although he would like to see the results confirmed quantitatively.

More controversial is the team's suggestion for the process that produced the neutrons. High-energy neutrons are unlikely to be produced by a normal chemical reaction, says Mosier-Boss. So, it's possible, she says, they are created during the fusion of deuterium and tritium atoms tightly packed in palladium framework at the cathode. The tritium also being a product of the fusion of two deuterium atoms.

Some researchers in the cold fusion field agree. "In my view [it's] a cold fusion effect," says Peter Hagelstein, also at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Alternative theory
Others, though, are not convinced. Steven Krivit, editor of the New Energy Times, has been following the cold fusion debate for many years and also spoke at the ACS conference. "Their hypothesis as to a fusion mechanism I think is on thin ice … you get into physics fantasies rather quickly and this is an unfortunate distraction from their excellent empirical work," he told New Scientist.

Krivit thinks cold fusion remains science fiction. Like many in the field, he prefers to categorise the work as evidence of "low energy nuclear reactions", and says it can be explained without relying on nuclear fusion.

In 2006, Allan Widom at Northeastern University in Boston and Lewis Larsen of Lattice Energy, LLC, suggested that the key to the process was oscillating surface plasmons – waves of energy rippling through electrons on the surface of the electrode.

They said that the rough surface of the palladium on the electrode focuses the energy into small pits, where it can be transferred to a single electron. The high-energy electron can then shoot into the nucleus of a nearby deuterium atom and combine with a proton to release a neutron and a neutrino (European Physical Journal C, DOI: 10.1140/epjc/s2006-02479-8 ).

"Electrons and protons don't have trouble attracting," Widom told New Scientist, and he says the explanation conforms to the Standard Model of particle physics. He speculates that this theory could explain instances of exploding laptop batteries, and could be harnessed as an energy source – something Larsen's company hopes to commercialise.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... ef=dn16820

Back