• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Collective Unconscious Experiments

Coal

Account Retired
Can anyone point me at any serious attempts to prove the existence of the collective unconscious?

I vaguely recall an experiment done with crossword puzzles in daily papers, the idea being that the day after the paper came out, the puzzles should have been easier to solve as it would have been solved by lots of people the day before.

Ta much.

I think that was suggested as a test of Rupert Sheldrake's morphic resonance theory...whether that's quite the same as collecttive unconscious I'm not sure.

At any rate I recall on an amazon review of The Science Delusion/Science Set Free some one star reviewer said "This would suggest the a crossword is easier to do at the end of the day since many other people have done it. If this idea isn't total nonsense then it's doing a very good impression of it" To which I replied with the result of a ten second search and found an example of a student putting that very idea to the test..successfully.

""This was done with crossword puzzles in the psychology department at Nottingham University. The young woman who did it, Monica England, reasoned as follows: If morphic resonance is happening, it should be easier to do today's newspaper crossword puzzle tomorrow than it would have been yesterday.

So we managed to persuade a London newspaper, The Evening Standard, to supply its crossword puzzle in advance for the purpose of this experiment. Students were tested in Nottingham the day before and the day after the crossword was published in London. They were also tested with a control crossword which was not published during that period. This of course involved testing different groups of students before and after. The control crossword gave a measure of each individual's ability to do crossword puzzles of that kind.

It turned out that students' performances on the test crossword did indeed improve by about 25 percent after it had been published, compared with the control crossword. This result is statistically significant and is, of course, very interesting."

Sheldrake himself found it interesting but didn't fully endorse it as he percieved a flaw in the nature of crosswords themselves to undermine strong conclusions. His observations/conclusions about this group memory theory are centred more on such things as the steadily increasing IQ rates and birds knowing how to open doorstep milk bottles after the war (none of them having been around to experience them before the war to have learnt it individually)...you might speculate the ever increasing exam pass rates in England and Wales year after year which cause so much annual debate could be another example of it.

It is interesting, but there are a couple of ideas to consider:
(a) The person doing the crosswords may become more mentally 'in tune' with the creator of the crossword each time they do the crossword.
(b) The crosswords in a newspaper may be created by just one person. As they produce each crossword, their thinking processes may lead on from the previous one they created, making a link between the crosswords. This may inadvertently leave a 'trail of breadcrumbs' for the person doing the crossword.

(a) The person doing the crosswords may become more mentally 'in tune' with the creator of the crossword each time they do the crossword.
(b) The crosswords in a newspaper may be created by just one person. As they produce each crossword, their thinking processes may lead on from the previous one they created, making a link between the crosswords. This may inadvertently leave a 'trail of breadcrumbs' for the person doing the crossword.

Its hard to see how that would apply in the experiment described. As I understand it the people tested were not regular users of that particular newspaper's crosswords (even if you suppose they're compiled by the same person every day), they were simply student volunteers...and some were given eg Tuesday's as yet unpublished crossword to do on the Monday (before thousands of members of the general public had the chance to do it) and some (different students) were given the same crossword to do on the Wednesday, a day after the public at large had. And this second group...the post-public puzzlers...were 25% "better" at completing the crossword than those who recieved it before the masses had.

Familiarity with the unknown crossword compiler's previous greatest hits and personal quirks or preferred topics or what have you doesn't really fit into this scenario...and if it did it would apply to both set of students equally.

Thanks for that. I've spent some time trying to locate the paper, but although it's supposed to be archived at Noetic Sciences, I can't get to it. Pity. I have search pubmed, google scholar and our own library for anything like a proper paper on proving/disproving this and can't find a decent one. Worth a try. I'll come back to it later on.

I can provide more details from wherever it was I originally found them to copy and paste under the book review debate mentioned.

"She summarized her results in the Noetic Sciences Bulletin, Autumn 1991, pg
1. She also presented her findings in full as her thesis at the University
of Nottingham but never published them in a journal."

And he following quotes from Sheldrake: "The crossword puzzles she used were from the London Evening Standard, not the New York Times,and in the experiments she tested groups of subjects before and after the crossword puzzles were published in the Evening
Standard on Feb 15th 1990. Each group of subjects also did a control
crossword which had been published ten days earlier in the Evening Standard.
This was to estimate their ability to solve crosswords of this kind. The
results were scored blind. She found that the results for the Evening
Standard 'easy crossword' showed that the subjects performed better after
the crossword had been published in London, relative to scores before
publication. This difference was significant at the 5% level, using the
one-tailed t test. This effect was not detectable with the Evening Standard
'quick crossword' which the students found much harder to do and in which
they completed fewer clues.
"Obviously this result is only a preliminary one, but it does suggest that
experiments with crosswords provide a feasible way of testing for morphic
resonance. There is however one problem with this general method which only
became apparent to me when I enquired more about how crossword puzzles are
compiled. Crosswords are made up by professional compilers and it seems
that quite often they recycle parts of old crosswords and so this means it
is not always the case that a crossword is original and has not been done by
anybody before even if it has not yet been published in a particular
newspaper.

"The reason Monica England thought of doing this experiment in the first
place is that there is a folk-lore among people who do crosswords,
especially difficult ones like the Times of the Daily Telegraph, that these
crosswords are easier to solve if they're done the next day or in the
evening rather than on the morning of the day they are published, suggesting
a possible influence from others who have done them."

As an interesting aside, I thought I'd paste in something else Sheldrake
mentioned in his post:

"I wonder if, on your discussion list you have yet brought up the subject of
rises in IQ. In the appendix to my book 'Dogs That Know When Their Owners
Are Coming Home' I discuss the Flynn effect and show data for these rises in
IQ. I predicted this effect in the early 1980s but could find no data about
it. Then Flynn discovered that there had in fact been rises in IQ. He and
a colleague, William Dickens, have recently tried to explain this by what
seems to me a highly complicated and artificial argument, published in the
Psychological Review (Vol. 108, 2001). (Unfortunately I don't have the
page numbers because I only have a proof copy of the article).

"The fact that Dickens and Flynn have been driven to this tortuous attempt
to explain the phenomenon is because all previous attempts to explain it
have failed, and yet the data are very solid and have been replicated in at
least 14 different countries. The paradox is that IQ test improvement is
not paralleled by any other indication that intelligence really is
increasing. I think this is happening because people are simply getting
better at doing IQ tests because so many people have done them before. In
other words, it's a morphic resonance effect. They have already tested
possibilities about it being due to more TV, increasing test sophistication,
etc, etc, and none of these have been shown to explain it. This might be an
interesting subject to take up on your discussion list, if you have not done
so already."

Whether any of this constitutes "collective unconscious" in the way you intended I don't know. I associate that phrase with Jungian psychology rather than a kind of species memory, but maybe there's no difference in practice.

The other experimental endeavour that comes to mind that might apply is the Global Consciousness Survey which you should be able to look up. If memory serves, that's the observation of a random noise generatiing computer of some kind appearing to respond in a non random way to major world events where a large swathe of humanity is all giving its attention to the same thing.

X
The other experimental endeavour that comes to mind that might apply is the Global Consciousness Survey which you should be able to look up. If memory serves, that's the observation of a random noise generatiing computer of some kind appearing to respond in a non random way to major world events where a large swathe of humanity is all giving its attention to the same thing.
I think we have a thread on that, but I don't have time to look now.

Whether any of this constitutes "collective unconscious" in the way you intended I don't know. I associate that phrase with Jungian psychology rather than a kind of species memory, but maybe there's no difference in practice.

Here's a link to the Global Conciousness Project
http://noosphere.princeton.edu

That certainly deserves a bit more investigation, thanks (as does your research @Coal )
I find the staff here conservative in the extreme. I suspect even suggesting research in this area will result in a downward swing in my essay assessments for the duration...what I do on my own time is another matter!

My own junior psychologist faced similar challenges and reluctance from their faculty, when I prompted them to consider anything even mildly-fringe, for research. The spirit of Koestler et al is not alive or well in the hallowed halls of western higher ed. My sympathies are with you...

My own junior psychologist faced similar challenges and reluctance from their faculty, when I prompted them to consider anything even mildly-fringe, for research. The spirit of Koestler et al is not alive or well in the hallowed halls of western higher ed. My sympathies are with you...
Well, when (I should say 'if') I graduate, I shall speak freely on my impressions then :banghead::huh::rolleyes:

when (I should say 'if')
Be positive, don't be late submitting any more assessments, and consider a collaborative project for final year. Also, try and base your choice of project upon who the supervisor is likely to be, way ahead of the chosen topic.

Back