• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Colonel Percy Fawcett & His Cryptid Connections

amyasleigh

Abominable Snowman
Post prompted by material recently seen on another site, concerning a highly-Fortean character: Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett, born 1867, last heard from early summer 1925 (ninety years ago). British explorer who did his stuff in the interior of South America. This lately Net-discovered gen about Fawcett, contains much which is also featured in a book, Exploration Fawcett, about his exploits – mostly in his own words, with addenda by his son Brian Fawcett (well-acquainted with South America, on different scenes thereof); which book was in my family home some half-century ago. Full of fascinatingly creepy and non-mundane stuff (and sometimes mundane “compellingly squalid / repulsive” ditto -- about the best thing that he and his colleagues could come up with about backwoods South America a hundred years ago, was, "It's hell, all right, but one kind-of likes it"). Fawcett was heavily into various at least borderline-occult matters and into things concerning envisaged vanished and unknown civilisations. He “disappeared from human ken” in 1925, on an expedition questing for lost cities of whatever exact kind, in the Mato Grosso area of Brazil. And elements in above-cited book, contributed to kicking-off my interest in things cryptozoological. (Some of which may be referred to in previous “Cryptozoology” threads on FTMB – I admit to not having investigated.)

Re earlier (circa 1906 – 1910) expeditions under Fawcett’s leadership, in the then very little-known Brazil / Bolivia / Peru borderlands; I approximately quote from above-mentioned Net material.

“Along the way he claimed to have had some encounters with wildlife never seen before, including an anaconda described as ’62 feet’ long. At the time, the giant anaconda seemed to be hyperbole, the largest ever proven was about 5.2m, a quarter of the length of the snake Fawcett claimed to have killed. However, given the numerous claims and the existence of fossils of an anaconda over 12m long, such creatures might be real. Fawcett also claimed to have seen a small animal (the size of a foxhound) with canine and feline characteristics, now called the Mitla. It is not known if this is a real animal or a misidentification of some other creature such as the elusive (but real) short-eared Zorro. In the Madidi swamps of the Beni river in Bolivia, Fawcett wrote of finding the tracks of ‘some mysterious and enormous beast’ which he thought might be those of a living Diplodocus. This was one of the inspirations for Conan Doyle’s The Lost World ”.

I recall also from the book which we had, Fawcett’s mentioning re these “B/B/P borderlands”, a reckoned unknown-to-science large bird which he had seen once or twice, “resembling a giant Peacock Butterfly in flight”. No mention in the book (had there been any, I’m sure I would have remembered) of Amazonia’s alleged – feared and reputedly fearsome – Mapinguary: Yeti / Bigfoot “be-alike”, possibly crossing over into relict giant sloth. All tantalisingly interesting, anyway, if such stuff is one’s fancy.

I dare say such stuff is our fancy.

I recently read David Grann's book about Fawcett - The Lost City of Z. Recommend it.

In this book, which also uses Fawcett's notes, it states that Fawcett emptied his rifle into the snake but that when he tried to slice of a piece of its skin as a specimen the anaconda moved and the party retreated. It also states that the snake was partially submerged - and that Fawcett's estimation of its size was therefore open to question.

Post prompted by material recently seen on another site, concerning a highly-Fortean character: Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett, born 1867, last heard from early summer 1925 (ninety years ago). British explorer who did his stuff in the interior of South America. This lately Net-discovered gen about Fawcett, contains much which is also featured in a book, Exploration Fawcett, about his exploits – mostly in his own words, with addenda by his son Brian Fawcett (well-acquainted with South America, on different scenes thereof); which book was in my family home some half-century ago. Full of fascinatingly creepy and non-mundane stuff (and sometimes mundane “compellingly squalid / repulsive” ditto ...). Fawcett was heavily into various at least borderline-occult matters and into things concerning envisaged vanished and unknown civilisations. He “disappeared from human ken” in 1925, on an expedition questing for lost cities of whatever exact kind, in the Mato Grosso area of Brazil. And elements in above-cited book, contributed to kicking-off my interest in things cryptozoological. (Some of which may be referred to in previous “Cryptozoology” threads on FTMB – I admit to not having investigated.)

As mentioned above, I read the book as a kid, and was utterly fascinated. Will admit that at times in later years, the "killjoy" side of me has prompted wonderings as to whether Fawcett was altogether sane -- with his entertaining a good many notions which the world in general, would consider greatly "way out there". The possibility has occurred to me that he might have simply made up -- who knows how much -- of what he reported; including some of the more grotesque happenings in the "mundane" sphere, of which he told. It's to be reckoned anyway, that people such as us on this board, would wish and hope for Fawcett's stuff to be true !

Back