• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coloured Kittens Used As Bait In Dog Fighting

Has the story emerged in local media or just where Yorkshire sounds exotic?

It does here tbh, but worth filtering! :sherlock:

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past people no matter where it's supposed to take place. Making animals fight each other is horrible. It all goes back to twisted ideas of power.

I only looked at the RelayHero link, not the others. It's obvious that whatever had happened to that animal, it hadn't been a good experience. You don't have to be a human being to have facial expressions. Any mammal with a facial expression like that should be easy to understand.

PS, JamesW—Yorkshire will never get a break until people have forgotten Wuthering Heights and the Hound of the Baskervilles. At least Yorkshire wasn't used as a backdrop for Dracula.

Not kittens and not for fighting, but just as horrid:

Greyhound trainers suspended for baiting
Three greyhound trainers have been suspended by the Victorian industry body for reportedly using possums to bait their dogs.

The live marsupials were used to spark the dogs' desire to chase, initiating a new live-baiting scandal, The Herald Sun reported on Wednesday.

Greyhound Racing Victoria has confirmed three trainers have been suspended and barred from entering any greyhound property or club.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...pended-for-baiting/ar-BBWEHE2?ocid=spartandhp

Not kittens and not for fighting, but just as horrid:

Greyhound trainers suspended for baiting

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...pended-for-baiting/ar-BBWEHE2?ocid=spartandhp

In the early 90s a friend of mine owned a racing greyhound. I got to know the trainer through him. He openly admitted that the dogs would be given a “kill” if they weren’t running very well. The “kill” would involve putting a live rabbit in the dogs cage.
Although illegal, he said it was an open secret in the world of greyhound racing. I’m assuming it still goes on in the U.K..

Any sport that has gambling involved has skeletons in the closet, in this sport, literally.

And wasn't 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' Dartmoor?

Can we get back to the felt tipped kittens being thrown to dogs. I can believe that some 'challenged' members of our community might amuse themselves by colouring kittens (and I don't see that would be particularly harmful to them), but as far as I can see there is absolutely no proof they have been used in dog fighting. Where would be the sport in it, they would be killed immediately?

And wasn't 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' Dartmoor?
Opps—you're correct, Wolstan Dixie! :doh:
I guess those desolate moorlands of my imagination all look alike. (I've never been to either of them, just read the stories.)

It sounds like cobblers to me. Our youth seem to be fairly familiar with felt-tip pens, based on the evidence of every vertical surface everywhere.

maximus otter

Opps—you're correct, Wolstan Dixie! :doh:
I guess those desolate moorlands of my imagination all look alike. (I've never been to either of them, just read the stories.)
And part of Dracula was set in Whitby, Yorkshire. But I'm not sure whether you were being sarcastic about that bit.

We give live mice to pet snakes. Is this much worse?

Any sport that has gambling involved has skeletons in the closet, in this sport, literally.

Greyhound racing is well-known for not being greyhound-friendly, let alone any other animal which may become involved along the way. Things may be improving, judging by the number of Greyhound Trust homes up and down the country - dogs which were "surplus to requirements" used to be routinely killed by trainers (with none of the niceness of "The Big Green Needle"). Give me the hammer and I'd teach them to look after their old dogs.

I've been carefully skipping this thread but I just confirmed for myself that dogs are close to colorblind. They see blues and yellows. Maybe. So the coloring doesn't matter. On the other hand, many dogs would go after any prey smaller than themselves regardless of color.

I've been carefully skipping this thread but I just confirmed for myself that dogs are close to colorblind. They see blues and yellows. Maybe. So the coloring doesn't matter. On the other hand, many dogs would go after any prey smaller than themselves regardless of color.

I don't think the idea was that the dogs went for a particular colour, it was just a way of identifying the kittens for betting purposes.

Back