• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Come And Get It? (Fireworks Announcing Newly Arrived Drugs For Sale)

TheQuixote

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I was talking to one of my Uncles yesterday. He lives about 1/2 a mile away from me. He was griping about having been disturbed by fireworks being set off in the area during the previous evening. I replied *Oh yes! I heard fireworks too... at about 11pm? Half Term isn't it? little bast*rds...* and so forth. They weren't ordinary *Pop and Fizzle* rockets, they sounded like scud missiles and were very loud.

He nodded and sighed, *It's the dealers letting junkies know there's a new lot of drugs on the estate*.

I asked him what he was on about and along with questions about which rock I'd been hiding under for all of my life, he asserted to me that the streets where he lives close to are full of dealers and that everyone knows that they let off fireworks on a regular basis to let people know that they can go and get their drugs.

I've never heard of this before, dealers using fireworks as signals. I've had a look for info but have only really managed to find this so far:

http://www.angelfire.com/co3/NCFS/read/ ... part3.html

March 1 2003, This is Scunthorpe, FIREWORKS USED AS DRUG SIGNALS
Fireworks are being used by drug dealers in northern Lincolnshire to let addicts know when new supplies are in, Shona McIsaac MP has told the House of Commons. Ms McIsaac, whose constituency includes Barton, gave the shock announcement as legislation to crackdown on the sale and misuse of fireworks cleared its first Parliamentary hurdle yesterday after it was given the green light by MPs in the Commons.

And I haven't found anything on a search of the FTMB either.

I should think that my Uncle is just repeating to me another one of those UL's that has caught on as being *The Truth*. Apart from the other evening I hadn't heard any fireworks being set off since New Year's eve. Although I have to say, the streets that he referred to are quite notorious for drugs and there are arrests and deaths linked to drug misuse on a monthly basis.

Is it common knowledge that dealers use fireworks as signals??

Sounds a bit like a UL. Surely if it was that well known the sound and flashes of fireworks would soon be followed by police sirens and flashing blue lights.

bigphoot said:
Sounds a bit like a UL. Surely if it was that well known the sound and flashes of fireworks would soon be followed by police sirens and flashing blue lights.

That was my thought but then again I've reported crimes (burglaries, assault etc.) occuring right in front of me and other witnesses in the past and no one's bothered turning up.

I've reported crimes (burglaries, assault etc.) occuring right in front of me and other witnesses in the past and no one's bothered turning up.

'Whats that....uh huh....another mugging....i'll just type that up on my invisible typewriter'

:roll:

I heard this one maybe the year before last, forget now if it was fom someone for real or if (more likely) I came across it on the Snopes MBs.

sjoh9 said:
I've reported crimes (burglaries, assault etc.) occuring right in front of me and other witnesses in the past and no one's bothered turning up.

'Whats that....uh huh....another mugging....i'll just type that up on my invisible typewriter'

:roll:

okay, to expand on what I meant.

I've reported crimes as they have actually happened. One example: I once watched a burglary take place at a school, I told the operator what the thieves were taking and descriptions of them and the police didn't come out, even though they assured me they would. Even though the thieves took their time and were in the vicinity for some time.

I didn't even have anyone call me back in order to give a statement.

Anyway, back to fireworks and stuff.

I believe sjoh9 was making reference to The Simpsons and the Springfield police's lax attitude to actually doing anything.

That was my thought but then again I've reported crimes (burglaries, assault etc.) occuring right in front of me and other witnesses in the past and no one's bothered turning up.

A friend of mine witnessed a serious assault outside of her flat a few days ago, involving someone being beaten with a length of pipe. Her flatmate called 999 but no one turned up. Her other flatmate is dating a policeman so the next time he came round my friend mentioned the event to him. He said "we don't bother coming out for those sort of calls unless at least three separate people call about it" !!!!

I was shocked - my friend lives in a slightly run down part of East London, but it certainly isn't a sink estate or somewhere you would normally be afraid to walk around - there is no reason why the police should treat it as a no go area.

Around the same time, another friend received a visit from the police at 7am one morning after neighbours had complained about him and his girlfriend's noisy lovemaking.

I do wonder who is setting the priorities here...

Yes, I've heard about the firework alert thing too - they do go off quite randomly round here (much more come September, though - see my earlier rants about fireworks generally), and there is a major drugs problem in my neck of the woods :(. As there's a large tract of open ground and dense woods over the road it's hard to find anyone in there unless you know exactly where they're likely to be, and the law aren't going to scramble the helicopter on the off-chance, three 999s or not.

When the Lord Mayor was burgled a couple of years ago, however, they mobilised half the local constabulary in 30 seconds flat. Odd that.

BlackRiverFalls said:
I heard this one maybe the year before last, forget now if it was fom someone for real or if (more likely) I came across it on the Snopes MBs.

Yeah, my first search was of Snopes but I couldn't find anything related to my query although I didn't check out their message board.

Funny thing is, I'm sure I heard a firework at about 8am this morning but like I mentioned in my first post, I hadn't heard any since the New Year.

My apologies to sjoh9 for not getting the reference, I haven't seen The Simpsons for such a long time it went straight over my head. :(

although it could be said that is the usual for me ;)

<HA saunters out, a massive pile of rockets under one arm and a big pipe under the other.>

Nothing on sale today folks, Im just trying to hit that buzzing pylon; I think the electricity board will come out and fix it if I blow it up entirley...

anome said:
I believe sjoh9 was making reference to The Simpsons and the Springfield police's lax attitude to actually doing anything.

Yup that was the one.

My apologies to sjoh9 for not getting the reference, I haven't seen The Simpsons for such a long time it went straight over my head.

No apology needed! I kinda guessed you didnt get the ref. :)

I know for a fact that this is the case around where I live. Another good reason to ban the public purchasing of fireworks.

Womaniac said:
I know for a fact that this is the case around where I live. Another good reason to ban the public purchasing of fireworks.

And banning loudhailers and flagpoles and flares and... well... telephones?

If it is indeed the case, there must be a lot of drugs around in the autumn and winter in the part of Portsmouth I used to live in. One year, the bastards started setting them off on a near nightly basis from mid-September to mid December ;) (insert old joke here about how they should use some of their firework money to buy a calendar so they know when November the fucking fifth is)

With regard to the Police-not-being-arsed subsection to the thread, I was once assaulted one night in my workplace / home by a gang of seven or eight sportswear lowlife. Nothing serious, but I looked even more revolting than usual after receiving a brick between the eyes (about an inch lower and I'd undoubtably have had a bust nose, so I suppose I came off lucky.) Smashed my glasses into smithereens and covered my face in blood, plus I looked like a racoon for a while afterwards with two black eyes.

Phoned the Police as soon as I'd regained my composure (my attackers having bravely fled after I leapt over the reception desk in a pain-induced but foolhardy rage), and they basically didn't want to know. said they'd send someone round if they "had time", and gave me a crime number, and that was the last I heard of it for over a month. Then, I got a phone call which asked me if I wanted to take it any further, the implication in the wording and tone being that I would really be putting them to a lot of bother if I did so. My faith in the boys in blue was not exactly boosted by the whole experience...

Atch said:
Womaniac said:

And banning loudhailers and flagpoles and flares and... well... telephones?

Loudhailers yes, the others no. If idiots want to take drugs it's their business. They don't need to make it mine with loud fireworks.

A song as code to local gangs

Reading the (my highlighted) section of this on BBC news today reminded me of the, dealers using fireworks to advertise arrivals of new "supplies" UL

It just seems too unspecific a system to use, unless you can be sure that the people you re wanting to now are going to be listening at that paticular time, and know the relevance of the song. Thoughts anyone?

Urban pirates
By Dominic Casciani
BBC News community affairs

Three nights a week, Mark slips into a secret location and begins his talk show on Baseline FM, a black-led pirate radio station broadcasting across London.

This week's hot topic is the Birmingham riots - a discussion being held on dozens of pirate radio stations across Britain.

He doesn't know how big an audience he has, but he says he has had calls during his time from all over the city.

"I get a wide range of people - a lot of professional people too," he says. "There used to be a police officer. I've had barristers and ambulance drivers. It's a forum for black people all over the city to get grumbles off their chest."

Pirate Radio, the cuddly 1960s world that launched a dozen cheesy DJs, is today a different place. What started with Radio Caroline in a North Sea trawler is now a big business in cities across Britain.

And while most people are oblivious to its existence, the role of two stations in Birmingham in broadcasting the allegations of rape that sparked rioting in the Lozells area of the city, has demonstrated its power and influence in predominantly black communities.

Radio Caroline: Live from the middle of the North Sea
Ofcom, the media watchdog, says there are some 150 pirate stations, half of them thought to be in London alone.

Some broadcast across just a few streets. Others, like Baseline, have the capacity to cover cities.

Lynx, a Birmingham DJ who has moved from the pirate world to legal community radio, says that these stations are playing a crucial role.

"These stations don't just play music - they keep communities informed as to what's going on," says Lynx who now appears on Newstyle, a station with a community licence.

"Pirate radio is not just about this protest, it gives platforms to local talent, helps create local events and communicates what is going on. They're not doing anything different to legal stations."

Fire services hit

Some of the most popular stations over the past few years in Birmingham include Sting, and Hot, both linked to the airing of the rape allegations.

If people don't have the means to communicate openly, then it goes underground

Lynx, former pirate DJ
But Birmingham's most famous station, People's Community Radio Link (PCRL), met its demise in 2004 when, after some 20 years it folded under the weight of large fines imposed on its founders.

Some felt PCRL had played a key social role. Its final shows before being raided discussed gun crime in the wake of the fatal shootings of local teenagers Charlene Ellis and Leticia Shakespeare.

The authorities argued otherwise in court: PCRL's dodgy signal had rendered the West Midlands Fire Service's radio network unintelligible.

"If the authorities don't allow people to have legal stations, then a community cannot discuss issues that affect it or share the music they are into," says Lynx. "And if people don't have the means to communicate openly, then it goes underground."

Mixed intentions

The authorities don't however accept these arguments - and say that pirate radio remains a public menace.

Shock: Local people have been taken aback by the violence
Theys say there is danger of interference with legal signals, be it fire services or, in another Birmingham case, air traffic control.

But in addition, according to Ofcom, many stations are fronts for criminal enterprises. While the individual DJs may be ordinary folk looking for music careers, some station owners have less innocent intentions, argue the authorities.

"We know that station owners charge DJs for slots on their stations and some are turning over more than £5,000 in untaxed income a week. Many raids on pirate stations have uncovered links to drugs," says a spokesman for Ofcom.

"We've had pirate stations playing a particular song as code to local gangs, telling them drugs are available for collection."

Ofcom's 75 officers carried out 1,021 raids in 2004, leading to some 52 convictions. Raids generally get transmitters (mostly on tower blocks or stuck to mobile masts) - but not the studios which are usually miles away.

Uphill struggle

But the watchdog has a mountain to climb.

Birmingham station: Shut down, remembered on the web
"Last year we were broadcasting from a basement and the police came in to the premises looking for drugs," says Mark of Baseline. "They weren't any to find - but they did find us. It all happened live on air with me at the mic. They took our equipment and I got a caution.

"It's a game of cat and mouse. I was speaking to one of their guys who was very friendly. He showed me a list of all the local stations they were after, with their areas and frequencies.

"They know that when a station works out that they are out looking for transmitters and studios, the word goes around the DJs on all the stations and people work together to keep ahead."

Ofcom says it's immensely difficult if not impossible to win this battle on current resources.

"One of the challenges is that within hours [of a transmitter being found] the pirate stations can be on air again," says the spokesman.

Given that entry costs have got cheaper over the years, a raid is seen by some pirate radio stations as an inevitable business expense, say insiders.

We've had pirate stations playing a particular song as code to local gangs, telling them drugs are available for collection

Ofcom

Even if everything was seized, transmitter, studio and associated kit, a basic broadcast could be back up within a day with less than £1,500 of equipment. This leads many DJs to believe Ofcom is turning a blind eye to stations that are responsibly run by avoiding conflicts with other signals.

Ofcom denies this, saying that it is a matter of priorities rather than preference.

But while they largely prioritise raids on stations whose signals interfere with the emergency services, this does nothing to prevent the broadcasting of what could be incendiary views - the key issue being debated in Birmingham.

Ofcom can use its powers to deal with legal broadcasters who break its code.

But many pirate stations build an audience on strident views. One south London station is notorious for its presenters' uncharitable views of white people; rather ironically, its signal very often cuts across that fortress of Middle England, BBC Radio Four.

"The rape allegations were a whisper repeated on the radio, but the radio didn't start the violence," says Lynx

Mr P

the deal with pirate radio is the forces that be don't want a medium that can reach so many in the hands of free thinkers.... I know for certain as I saw it on Malcolm in the middle when his dad Hal was busted by the man for his 'kid charlamaine' broadcasts.

Surely letting off fireworks to indicate the drugs are there is hugely hit and miss and rather crazy in this world of every scrote having a mobile phone. Think about the queue outside the dealers place come november 5th!
Plus what about the hundreds of associated bangs in the night set off by your general scrote going about his scrotey affairs

A similarly stupid story in my home town as a kid was that if a local saddlery had a certain saddle hung out the front then that meant the dope was in.

If the fireworks one was true in my town then there would be a lot of dope being sold. Mind you I do live in the (former) marijuana capital of Australia!

johnnyboy1968 said:
My faith in the boys in blue was not exactly boosted by the whole experience...
I've had similar experiences with the Force.

Who was it said

Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime ?

Loads of fireworks here last night too.

I'm working in the Litte Germany area of Bradford at the moment.

A few times during the day we've heard fireworks going off, usually they say it is an asian wedding going on - we also see drivethroughs of posh cars which apparently is a wedding thing there too.

Yesterday someone told me that the fireworks were really the local dealers signalling that they had stuff in.

Heard the story before on th einternet, first time I've heard it in the flesh.

I did hear a volley of fireworks in the middle of the day, one day last week. I am unconvinced that it was drug-related. Could well have been an ethnic wedding.

Any loud annoucements are unncecessary in a world where users are in touch with their dealers the modern way - texts and phones. Not so cryptic either, as anyone can tell, overhearing snatches of their conversation, as they search for a rendezvous!

We know the business is hierarchical with the higher levels at least a few steps from contact with end-users but it is hard to imagine that any level of the business would rely on such a public firework-code. :rolleyes:

Back