• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Comet Neowise (2020)

Well, that's interesting in itself 'dream_decoder.'
Have located 'ralfvandebergh's email address and am just about to pass what I have on to him. OK.

Will check it out if I can find this person via email. "Thank you for that 'dream_decoder'."

By-the-way... I did manage to get one fairly decent photograph of what I believe was the Neowise Comet (along with that other curious photograph ~ nothing fantastic though like the ones put forward streaking long trails across the sky, but I believe my photo does seem to show how strong-a pull there is on one side of the Comets trail of debris.

Presume this effect might be from some gravitational pull that the curvature is illustrating so well (I have a limited knowledge when it comes to astrology/astronomy) so I'm guessing a bit here? If it isn't Comet Neowise, then what else could this capture be... View attachment 28539
?

View attachment 28538
Just to mention... that I have come across some online information about a Comets trail (jet) that can indeed be parted. Apparently, the heavier material falls directly in a continual straight stream along behind the Comets path. However, the much finer and lighter dusty material can be pulled away from the Comets path, unlike the heavier material. So maybe that's what my photo (above) is depicting.

Just to mention... that I have come across some online information about a Comets trail (jet) that can indeed be parted. Apparently, the heavier material falls directly in a continual straight stream along behind the Comets path. However, the much finer and lighter dusty material can be pulled away from the Comets path, unlike the heavier material. So maybe that's what my photo (above) is depicting.

Comets can have multiple tails but they are always quite defined, maybe a long graceful curve but not jagged or messy.

I went out last night about 11'ish to try and capture an image of the 'Neowise' Comet. Believe I captured it (or something else like it) in one picture with a bit of a fuzz around it, i.e. tail either facing away, or towards me.

But... the real reward for my efforts were repaid (as I had to walk out to a much darker, and wider viewing area a couple of miles away), was when I also took a few random shots of the night sky while I was in the vicinity, bearing in mind that I didn't have a clue as to exactly what was in the viewfinder, as all you see is total blackness! All the shots were taken within the same area, and my photo-lens was at full focal length. I checked out each one in close-up view upon my return home, "but not before I had made myself a cup of Coffee!"

Sitting up until gone 1:30 in the morning stuck in front of my computer, I was simply blown-away as in one capture, I had this very "odd" image ~ in this frame.

View attachment 28188

*I haven't got a clue what this image is, as I've never seen anything like it.

On close up, it has a distinct solid diamond/or, tilted 'box-like' form at the top end the image, with a central dome on top of it, and what seems like an accompanying sphere to it's right?

Completely off the wall to me!
There were a lot of noctilucent clouds around at the same time as Comet Neowise. These are very high clouds illuminated by the Sun as it shines over the North Pole. That may be what you photographed.

Here's a typical image of Neowise+Noctilucent clouds, from Astronomy Picture of the Day. Remember, this is looking due north.

1597012898836.png

There were a lot of noctilucent clouds around at the same time as Comet Neowise. These are very high clouds illuminated by the Sun as it shines over the North Pole. That may be what you photographed.
There were no clouds in my sky view whatsoever 'eburacum.' The fuzz as mentioned, and as seen in my photograph could only be generated via the object itself.

Some clouds are fuzzy, especially noctilucent ones. Your image certainly looks both fuzzy and cloud-like to me, with no solid parts. It looks very slightly like a genie coming out of a bottle, to be honest.

cloud.png

There were no clouds in my sky view whatsoever 'eburacum.' The fuzz as mentioned, and as seen in my photograph could only be generated via the object itself.

The 'fuzz' can't be related to the Comet.
The tail of the Comet is very wide, the 'fuzz' would be massive.
The Comet is actually a really long way away and everybody around the world would have reported the 'fuzz'.

Meteor Trail - maybe:
https://mendovoice.com/2018/12/mete...e-large-celestial-rock-visible-across-norcal/

Trail.JPG

Reactions: Sid
A Genie - appearing out of a bottle photographed in space... now that really would be News worthy headlines... H'mm?
However 'eburacum,' I did come across this image online, caught on camera through the telescope by 'Ralf Vanderbergh.'
https://www.space.com/x-37b-space-plane-skywatcher-photo.html
There is something of similarity - if you can take a snip of the image in the photograph, then rotate it, there is something more relevant in this image than your conjuring up of a Genie emerging from out of a bottle!:headspinner::)

Last edited:
The 'fuzz' can't be related to the Comet.
The tail of the Comet is very wide, the 'fuzz' would be massive.
The Comet is actually a really long way away and everybody around the world would have reported the 'fuzz'.

Meteor Trail - maybe:
https://mendovoice.com/2018/12/mete...e-large-celestial-rock-visible-across-norcal/

View attachment 28793
I would say there's a good likelihood of it being just that in that case 'dream_decoder.' Particularly as my photo shots were a bit of a shot-in-the-dark anyway, along with my other unknown photo-image.
*I've also noticed that there seems to be some violet/reddish bits within the 'tail' too, could that denote anything I wonder?

In seriousness, the meteor trail is a good hypothesis. It might just be a wandering contrail from a transpolar cargo plane; there really weren't many passenger planes flying in that period, because of lockdown.

Whatever the cause, this 'fuzz' probably had some of the characteristics of noctilucent clouds, which I've noticed quite often in that part of the sky in mid-summer. Noctilucent clouds are typically blue, with occasional red or gold flecks from reflected sunlight.

Here's Les Cowley on the subject.
https://www.atoptics.co.uk/highsky/nlc2.htm

Back