• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Comics

I used to read Misty as a child. It was full of supernatural stories. The annuals were very good and they did summer special magazines too which were a good read.
I couldn't understand at the time why the Misty comic was changed at the end of it's life. They started adding more comic relief with a comic strip (Miss T) and then they merged it with Tammy. I also read Jinty comic and that later got merged with Tammy. With each merger you got less of the supernatural/unusual stuff. It was a shame because Misty had a really different identity to the other comics on offer at the time.

I would have loved to read Misty back then, but alas it was for girls, so there was NO WAY I would be seen reading a girls' comic, it would be like reading Twinkle or something. My loss.

I used to read Misty as a child. It was full of supernatural stories. The annuals were very good and they did summer special magazines too which were a good read.
I couldn't understand at the time why the Misty comic was changed at the end of it's life. They started adding more comic relief with a comic strip (Miss T) and then they merged it with Tammy. I also read Jinty comic and that later got merged with Tammy. With each merger you got less of the supernatural/unusual stuff. It was a shame because Misty had a really different identity to the other comics on offer at the time.

Misty was a lovely magazine. I was too old for it but I sneakily saw a few editions that my younger relations owned and thought it intriguing.
Perhaps it had an influence on teenage girls, gave them an interest in witchery. :cool:

I started reading the Beezer from 1965 and one of the best remembered character(s) were the Numskulls. These were little people living inside a middle-aged man's head controlling all the functions (parodied in Viz as hamsters "Driving David Beckman"). The Beezer eventually merged with Topper and then folded, with the Numskulls (changed to occupying a boy's head) occasionally picked up by the Beano. Following an interview in 2015 with the Beano boss, who had noticed a similarity between the Numskulls and the emotion-driven movie 'Inside Out', the Daily Telegraph approached Pixar for comment. I saw the following strip in the Telegraph, I don't know if it was in the Beano as I had stopped reading it by then.

View attachment 54366
The question that used to plague me when I read the Beezer was 'do the Numskulls have smaller Numskulls inside their heads, and do they in turn have etc etc?'

Misty was a lovely magazine. I was too old for it but I sneakily saw a few editions that my younger relations owned and thought it intriguing.
Perhaps it had an influence on teenage girls, gave them an interest in witchery. :cool:

Remembered fondly and I've just got hold of an annual!

Some folks might be interested in this - FANSCENE! - 50 Years of British comic cons

This project has a new website:
https://www.comicsfanzines.co.uk/

THE HOME OF CLASSIC UK COMICS ZINES

WELCOME TO MY ONLINE REPOSITORY OF CLASSIC UK COMICS FANZINES

The aim of this site is to create a digital repository of as many of the Comics Fanzines published in the UK as possible .

These fan publications contained work by artists and writers who would sometimes later move into, and shape, the industry that they loved.

Equally, they contain work by people who simply appreciated the sense of community offered by taking part in fandom, and who may now look back fondly on a hobby no longer followed.

These fanzines were printed in very limited numbers, sometimes as few as 50 copies, and have become quite rare over the years.

This site celebrates these publications, and the people who produced or contributed to them.

Please note that while my own fanzine,
FANSCENE, is freely downloadable, the archived zines are read only, and are not available for distribution.

There was a short-lived series from years back called Ruse. It featured a Holmes-style detective and his secretly magical assistant. There were cases involving ley lines, vampires and a few other things. I quite enjoyed it but nobody ever talks about it.

Go woke, Go broke.
"A Superman comic book series centered around the superhero’s bisexual teenage son will be shelved by the end of the year."
https://www.washingtontimes.com/new...s-decline/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS
Meh, the book was selling roughly average for a Superman book. It was a miniseries that wasn't intended to replace the main title, and the character is already slated for a future project.
When Superman returned from the War World event he was always intended to take the main title back and John to move to a new title. The title had an initial sales spike for the "gay superman!" angle then dropped down to normal sales. Superman returning will spike sales before returning to normal sales. Until they do the next bug relaunch or reboot.

Back