• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Comics

gncxx said:
Girls comics of that time were notoriously grim, I think Mandy was supposed to be the grimmest. All of which helped sales hugely - the more cruel they were the better for the target audience. I bet even Twinkle had its wicked stepmother victimising a ballerina or two.

The grimmer the girls comic, the more it sold. The worst and more brutal it was, the more readers it picked up mainly because IPC did some surveys and realised the nice girls comics of DC Thompson peaked in sales when there was a nasty strip in it, and nasty by DC Thompson standards was bugger all.

So John Sanders at IPC was given the brief of attracting more girls to IPC's girls line of comics and he gave that job to Pat Mills and John Wagner in to sort the line out and it was hugely successful because they wrote the worst stuff they could get away with.

Sadly these comics suffered after the business with Action, and IPC didn't want anything too extreme in their titles, so they were toned down which was a pity.

By the 80's though weekly comics were in serious decline but that's another story.

Which just shows you what delightful, lovable people little girls are...

I recently finished the Batman story Hush, which is very well thought of, but I was a bit underwhelmed. Seemed more like an excuse to pack in as many Batman baddies as possible more than a proper story, it's a pity because I really liked The Long Halloween by the same author. I'd rather they'd concentrated on a few, or even one, instead of wheeling them on like guest stars in a 70s TV show. Artwork's quite nice, though.

gncxx said:
I recently finished the Batman story Hush, which is very well thought of, but I was a bit underwhelmed. Seemed more like an excuse to pack in as many Batman baddies as possible more than a proper story, it's a pity because I really liked The Long Halloween by the same author. I'd rather they'd concentrated on a few, or even one, instead of wheeling them on like guest stars in a 70s TV show. Artwork's quite nice, though.

I think you have hit the nail on the head - the whole purpose of Hush seems to be to allow Jim Lee to draw all the Batman villains. Which he does do very well indeed.

Anybody reading 2000AD?

The Dredd story at the moment, The Cold Deck, is simply astounding. It's so good that I almost pity anyone who isn't reading it!

The Dandy: final edition goes on sale

The last-ever printed edition of one of the world's longest-running comics has gone on sale.
The Dandy, which features characters such as Desperate Dan and Korky the Kat, was first published 75 years ago.
But its circulation has plummeted to about 8,000 copies a week in recent years, from a peak of two million in the 1950s.

Publisher DC Thompson has now launched the comic online, and as a smartphone and tablet app.

The final print edition coincides with the title's 75th anniversary, and will include a pullout reprint of the very first edition of the comic from 4 December 1937.

DC Thompson confirmed at the weekend that Sir Paul McCartney would appear alongside Desperate Dan - fulfilling a lifetime ambition of the former Beatle, who said in 1963 it was his dream to appear in the comic.

The edition is expected to become a collector's item, with several newsagents saying they have been inundated with pre-orders from nostalgic fans.
Des Barr, who runs Sinclair Barr Newsagents in Paisley, believes the final Dandy will be the biggest single sale of any publication since he opened his shop more than 20 years ago.
He said: "I have never known a demand for a comic like it ever before and by the time Tuesday comes around I reckon I will have about 1,000 orders.
"People are buying the comic to send to relatives and friends all over the world and many people are saying they will use the historic last issue as a stocking filler at Christmas.
"I think there is a huge nostalgia thing going on here. Since it was first published in 1937, millions of people will have grown up reading The Dandy. It will have been part of their childhood."

Dundee-based DC Thompson announced in August that the weekly children's comic would make the transition into cyberspace following dwindling sales in recent years.
The website will feature old favourites Desperate Dan, Bananaman and Korky the Cat in new animated strips, with voice overs and sound effects.
Users will also be able to play interactive games, watch videos and create and care for their very own virtual pet, the Dandy Dollop.

David Bain, the comic's head of digital development said: "The Dandy is alive and well, and it's going to continue as usual it's just as of next week it's going to be available online on a regular basis, with all the famous characters and scripts and storylines and humour, as well as games, goodies and interactivity.
"It's all about fun, humour and a bit of mischief, a bit of pranking.
"We've been quite deliberate in making sure there's very little if any educational value, with the exception of reading." ;)

Ellis Watson, chief executive of DC Thompson said: "I appreciate it's almost a deliberately naive venture into the unknown for a publisher that's been cutting down trees for 75 years, squishing them flat and smearing ink all over them.
"We're not super slick, we're not Silicon Valley, but what we are is some pretty talented animators and story tellers that are really excited about seeing if we can introduce these wonderful characters to another couple of generations."

Mr Ellis said he hoped that the comic would continue to attract adults who read The Dandy throughout their childhood, saying: "I'm still quite happy to sit on the train with my Financial Times reading my comics inside."

Throughout its 75 years, The Dandy's artists and writers have always strived to keep the comic's characters and plotlines relevant.
During World War II, Desperate Dan used his peashooter to bring down German aircraft and sink U-boats.
A strip called Addie and Hermy - the Nasty Nazis was a satire on Hitler and Goering.

And there was an outcry from fans in 1997 when Desperate Dan was supposedly to be retired after heading off into the sunset with the Spice Girls - although DC Thompson later admitted the storyline had been a publicity stunt to generate attention for its 60th anniversary.

Dan caused more controversy when he gave up eating cow pies during the BSE outbreak, and a revamp two years ago saw some traditional characters replaced by celebrities including Simon Cowell and Cheryl Cole.

A bronze statue of long-standing cover star Desperate Dan stands in Dundee city centre alongside Minnie the Minx, from The Dandy's sister title The Beano.

A book celebrating 75 years of The Dandy was launched at the Edinburgh International Book Festival in August and the comic will also feature in exhibitions at the National Library of Scotland and the Cartoon Museum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-20581867

A sad day, even if I haven't picked up a Dandy in many decades now.

Me too. Im a firm believer in `little or no educational value`

I got a copy of the last ever Dandy for Christmas, just been reading it, ah the memories! A few characters I'd totally forgotten about in there, a few before my time and a few after, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a mix of reprints and updates, the latter being irreverent gags.

Nice to see Bertie Buncle and his Chemical Uncle, Korky the Cat complaining he wasn't in the comic anymore, and Peter's Pocket Grandpa was a welcome journey down memory lane. The Jocks and the Geordies make a last return (complete with ridiculous exclamations about Scotch eggs and Cheryl Cole) and Bully Beef and Chips reaching a stalemate (it really was a violent comic when I was a kid). One of the big recollections was Jack Silver, the sci-fi tale where he would battle against the evil Captain Zap, one of the trippiest comic strips ever without actually being Dr Strange. All that and Desperate Dan meeting Paul McCartney.

So if you can track down a copy, it's well worth it. Don'y pay silly money, though.

They're also killing off Peter Parker...aka Spiderman.

As a FOOM (Friend of ol' Marvel) I've always asked myself the question, 'Just who is stronger. Spiderman or Desperate Dan?'

jimv1 said:

As a FOOM (Friend of ol' Marvel) I've always asked myself the question, 'Just who is stronger. Spiderman or Desperate Dan?'

The Peter of Peter's Pocket Grandpa fame was called Peter Parker.

For Hogmanay there was a surprisingly decent documentary on The Dandy on BBC1 Scotland. It's probably on iPlayer should you care to look, lots of good interviewees and a nice overview of its 75 years. Had to laugh at Frank Skinner saying he read everything twice except Black Bob, which he never read at all. I did the same!

jimv1 said:

Marvel and DC kill of characters and bring them back with such monotonous regularity there is no impact from their death, because the reader knows they'll be back sooner rather than later.

Grant Morrison even address this in an issue of (I think) JLA, where it is mentioned that Superman was the only one who bothered to turn up to the funeral of another hero, as they knew he'd come back to life again soon enough...

We already had a superhero - Captain Hurricane.
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/c/caphurr.htm

Just don't get him angry:

captain_hurricane.jpg

Hey - I remember that. A Jack Kirby production. It was as mad as a sack of gerbils.

Browsing Orwell's essays last night, I came across a reference to a lurid American comic and I was going to ask the comic enthusiasts on here if they could identify it.

I see that the question has actually arisen before, however, on a comics forum:

Comics History Question

For the record, the essay is one of Orwell's As I Please columns in The Tribune, 27th December, 1946. The quote is given in the linked forum.

Though it seemed a burning issue of the day to the essayist, it seems the comic character The Hangman "a beautiful creature with a green face" was yesterday's news: he had flourished around five years earlier. A curious sidelight on the writer - the page he described so luridly has never been identified - it seems to have been a collage of impressions gleaned from an old comic sent by a correspondent, urging a ban on such things. 8)

The Dandy edition that's now worth £20,000
Old Beano and Dandy annuals have soared in value. But you have to know how to spot the gems
By Charlotte Beugge
10:43AM GMT 25 Nov 2013

Superman can be pure investment kryptonite - and even the Bash Street Kids could make you a fortune. There are plenty of investors and collectors desperate for comics featuring their favourite characters, from Desperate Dan and Biffo the Bear to US superheroes such as Spiderman and the Green Lantern.

The comic world divides into two markets. There is the brightly coloured action-hero US comic, which appeal to serious investors with deep pockets. And there is the British comic market, featuring much-loved characters, often in black and white - where the inclusion of the original free gift can easily quadruple the price.

And we're talking about far-from-funny sums of money. Were you to come across a mint condition copy of the first edition of Action Comics, printed in the US in 1938, you might have found something worth more than $2m (£1.3m).

But while America is where the serious money goes, Britain still has its valuable comics. A first edition of The Dandy from 1937, complete with the free gift of a whistle, would sell for more than £20,000. The Beano started in 1938: 10 years ago a copy of the first edition sold for more than £12,000.

And at this time of year, when the shops are full of annuals aimed at the younger generation, a hidden-away annual from years ago could be worth a tidy sum. A Beano annual from 1940 sold for £4,265 in 2010.

"Annuals are attractive to collectors because it's a realistic achievement to collect them all - there's one a year, compared with 52 issues of the comic," said Phil Shrimpton of phil-comics.com.

If you find a 1973 edition of the Rupert the Bear annual where the bear is brown on the cover, you could get £3,000-£5,000 because Rupert was meant to be white. "There are only 12 in existence as the artist objected to the colour mistake," said Rob Rudderham of 30th Century Comics of Putney in south London.

British comics were mainly printed on low-quality paper, which degrades over time - and as many are stored in boxes in attics only to be sold when their owner dies or moves house, many are in poor condition. So there's a huge premium to be paid for those in good condition. And unlike US comics, British ones often included free gifts. With the original gift attached, the price will be far higher: a first edition of The Dandy without the whistle would go for around £5,000.

Mr Shrimpton has been collecting comics, particularly The Beano and The Dandy, since he was 10. Now 32, he runs an auction website that deals mainly in British comics. He has seen prices and interest in comics rise hugely over the past few years. "In the early Nineties I bought 10 Sixties annuals for £65 - now I'd have to pay more than £300 for them.

"In the early issues, the comics were a mixture of prose stories and cartoon strips. From the Fifties The Beano and Dandy became cartoon only. We also saw the appearance of popular characters such as Dennis the Menace, who first appeared in The Beano in 1951, and in 1954, when the Bash Street Kids made their debut. The issues where popular characters made their debuts command higher prices."

Other comics have their fans: a first edition of Bunty from the Fifties in good condition can go for several hundred pounds, as can the first issue of Eagle. Some collectors go for particular publishers - the Dundee-based DC Thomson, which still prints The Beano, for example - while others go for particular dates such as Christmas or April Fool's Day.

"Comics are bought for different reasons," said Mr Shrimpton. "It's for nostalgia, the classic artwork, the humour and the escapism."

Long-forgotten names can be valuable. Find a copy of the first issue of TV Century 21 - a comic that contained Gerry Anderson characters such as Thunderbirds - from the Sixties and it could be worth £500-£1,000.

But the really valuable comics are from the US. What's so special about the record-breaking 1938 Action Comics is the first appearance of Superman. Mr Rudderham said: "American comics are where the serious money is, basically because there are a lot of rich people over there who want to buy them. We do get people buying comics for investment and we always tell them to buy the best-quality comic they can afford. A comic costing £2 now will never make you a fortune."

But for the most prized issues, prices have been rising fast in recent years, fuelled possibly by rich middle-aged people nostalgic for their childhoods.
Mr Rudderham added: "What you want ideally is the first edition in which a character featured, such as Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk or Spiderman. A pristine copy of Amazing Fantasy from 1963 - which included the first appearance of Spiderman - could sell for more than $250,000." He added that if you did come across a treasured US comic, you'd get the best price by selling through an American auction house.

Duncan McAlpine of comicpriceguide.co.uk has a collection of around 100,000 comics - including the muchprized Action Comics No 1. He said: "In 1987, when I was working as a floor manager on EastEnders, I spent £10,000 on a copy. If I tell you that recently a copy sold for $2.6m (£1.6m) you'll see it was a good investment. Although my copy is not mint, it's probably still worth several hundred thousand pounds. I don't think it will be long before we see the first $5m comic."

Marvel comics, which featured characters such as Wolverine and X-Men, have seen hefty prices rises in recent years. This is thanks to blockbuster films introducing them to a new generation. "These films have made these characters cool for a new generation," said Mr McAlpine. He pointed out that the popularity of comic collections had been helped by celebrity collectors including Jonathan Ross and Nicholas Cage. "Investing in comics is fun: you're buying art and escapism. No wonder it's becoming popular."

And comics don't even need to be that old: a 2003 copy of Walking Dead sold recently for $10,000 because seven years after it appeared a TV version came out, making it desirable. The original print run was just 7,000, which explains the record price achieved - the best ever for a comic of less than 10 years old. So if you can spot tomorrow's hit TV show or film in today's comics, your fortune is assured. 8)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... 20000.html

At the weekend, I just unearthed my two Countdown annuals (1972 and 1973).
Thinking they might be worth something because of rarity, I looked on Amazon...and was a bit disappointed. They're not worth a huge amount - shame.

Mythopoeika said:
Thinking they might be worth something because of rarity, I looked on Amazon...and was a bit disappointed. They're not worth a huge amount - shame.
But then Countdown is not a comic. Probably only appeals to geeks of the puzzling-solving ilk...

rynner2 said:
Mythopoeika said:
But then Countdown is not a comic. Probably only appeals to geeks of the puzzling-solving ilk...

Countdown was a comic back in the early 70s. It had all kinds of comic strips, including Doctor Who, and it regularly had features about UFOs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown_(Polystyle_Publications)

It was a comic for geeky kids.

Edit: Bloody Wikipedia, breaking the rules of HTML again with those brackets. No wonder the URL won't display as a clicky link...

Edit: Swapped brackets for code. P_M

It’s been a while since this thread was updated (despite being 'old enough to know better' I still love comics). Here’s my current comic picks – all with a fortean / esoteric / sci-fi bent of course..! (descriptions via comixology)

The Wicked + The Divine

Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. Welcome to THE WICKED + THE DIVINE, where gods are the ultimate pop stars. But remember: just because you're immortal, doesn't mean you're going to live forever.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/The-Wicked-The-Divine/comics-series/19339

(I flat out love this, my current favourite)

Wytches

Across the globe, century after century, men and women were burned, drowned, hanged, tortured, imprisoned, persecuted, and murdered for witchcraft. None of them were witches. They died protecting a terrible and hidden truth: witches, real witches, are out there. They are ancient, elusive, and deadly creatures that are rarely seen and even more rarely survived.

When the Rooks family moves to the remote town of Litchfield to escape a haunting trauma, they're hopeful about starting over. But something evil is waiting for them in the woods just beyond town. Watching from the trees. Ancient...and hungry.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Wytches/comics-series/26096

(Proper scary – the stuff of nightmares, highly recommended)

Saga

SAGA is the story of Hazel, a child born to star-crossed parents from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war. Now, Hazel's fugitive family must risk everything to find a peaceful future in a harsh universe that values destruction over creation. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in a sexy, subversive drama for adults

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Saga/comics-series/7587

(Been out for a while, it’s won loads of awards and it’s damned good)

Trees

Ten years after they landed. All over the world. And they did nothing, standing on the surface of the Earth like trees, exerting their silent pressure on the world, as if there were no-one here and nothing under foot. Ten years since we learned that there is intelligent life in the universe, but that they did not recognize us as intelligent or alive.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Trees/comics-series/18840

(A slow build, but Warren Ellis is a great writer)

The Manhattan Projects

What if the research and development department created to produce the first atomic bomb was a front for a series of other, more unusual, programs? What if the union of a generation's brightest minds was not a signal for optimism, but foreboding? THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS is a look at history through a darker, much stranger, lens.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/The-Manhattan-Projects/comics-series/7588

(Proper alternative history madness!)

Wild’s End

Inspired by the sci-fi aesthetic of War of the Worlds and the anthropomorphic characters of Blacksad and Mouse Guard. When a rural English community of the 1930s is the victim of an alien invasion, the residents' lives are upended by the harsh realities of life-and-death violence. Led by the town's outsider and retired war veteran, they will have to rally together to uncover the secret of their invaders and ultimately fight back.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Wilds-End/comics-series/25225

(An odd but very likeable story)

Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl

Nearly a decade ago, Emily Aster sold half her personality for the power to rule a coven of phonomancers. I'm sure nothing could go horribly, monstrously wrong now. In a world where Music is Magic, a song can save or ruin your life. In THE IMMATERIAL GIRL, we discover what a video can do.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Phonogram-The-Immaterial-Girl/comics-series/50465

(PS: Makes sense to read the earlier Phonogram collections, Rue Britannia and The Singles Club. If you love music (and esoterica) you’ll love this)

Morning Glories

Morning Glory Academy is one of the most prestigious prep schools in the country, but behind it's hallowed doors something sinister and deadly lurks. When six brilliant but troubled new students arrive, they find themselves trapped and desperately seeking answers in a place where nothing is what it seems to be.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Morning-Glories/comics-series/4617

(Started strongly although has drifted off for the last few issues, still worth checking out though)

The 2000AD post reminded me of some other fortean-esque comics I've recently read:

Locke & Key

Written by Joe Hill and featuring astounding artwork from Gabriel Rodriguez, Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them... and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all...

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Locke-Key/comics-series/3344

(It's been out a while but I've only just got round to reading them all - highly recommended!)

Nameless

An astronomer kills his family, then himself, leaving a cryptic warning. A Veiled Lady hunts her victims through human nightmares. An occult hustler known only as 'Nameless' is recruited by a consortium of billionaire futurists for a desperate mission. And the malevolent asteroid Xibalba spins closer on a collision course with Earth. But nothing is what it seems-a terrifying inhuman experiment is about to begin.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Nameless/comics-series/34762

(It's a Grant Morrison comic so expect lots of occult weirdness and obscure occult references)

My latest fave - with lot's of occult/conspiracy weirdness:

The Black Monday Murders

ALL HAIL GOD MONEY! THE BLACK MONDAY MURDERS is classic occultism where the various schools of magic are actually clandestine banking cartels who control all of society: a secret world where vampire Russian oligarchs, Black popes, enchanted American aristocrats, and hitmen from the International Monetary Fund work together to keep ALL OF US in our proper place.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/The-Black-Monday-Murders/comics-series/73874

The 6 Best Horror Comics of 2017
Dracula, demons, and plenty of gore.

By Caitlin Busch on June 1, 2017

Even though we’re less than halfway through 2017, there have already been some stellar horror comics. When horror movies, spooky, disturbing television shows, and Stephen King novels aren’t enough for you, you can always turn to the perfect combination of visuals and written word for your favorite frights: comics.

Below is a list of six of the best horror comics (so far) of 2017. Not everything made this list, even though there are plenty of good ones out there. But variety is necessary for a list such as this. We couldn’t have six horror comics about just vampires or six horror comics about just cults. Both are fun subjects, but variety is always nice, both in subject and in length. Most of these recommendations are ongoing series. One is a superb one-shot. And a couple are small or large enough to fit into anyone’s schedule or needs.

Here are the six best horror comics of 2017 so far. Inverse will update this list regularly as more creepy comics debut. ...

https://www.inverse.com/article/32211-scariest-comics-2017-best-horror-comics

Back