• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Comments On The Appearance Of Sirius

A

Anonymous

To all:

At about 12:00 midnight, Friday, December 26, 2003, I saw the star Sirius in the sky. I had always known Sirius to be a bright white, when I looked at it. On the night of Friday, December 26, however, I got the impression, on looking at it, that Sirius seemed a bluish, almost purplish blue color. Also, while it was brighter than the other stars in the sky, at the time, it didn't seem quite as bright as I remembered it. Did anyone else look at Sirius on December 26, and notice anything different about its appearance? I am unsure if anything like contamination in the upper air could have caused it, but it could be something to look into.

Julian Penrod

I saw it tonight, too. I was wondering what that big beautiful blue star was. Thanks, Julian.

Hey, you don't think chemtrails might have something to do with, do you?

(dons moderator's kevlar helmet and ducks behind parapet)

This is the standard effect of a large cloaked spacecraft spying on earth and sitting right between us and Sirius.

Just ask them to move to the left a little :)

It does depend on your latitude, and the time of year;
Sirius is often near the horizon, where the air is thickest, and most turbulent, and for this reason, and because of its brightness scintillates or 'twinkles' more noticeably than any other star.

Despite the fact that it is one of the closest stars to earth it is still only seen as a point, and though binoculars that point can be seen to be constantly changing in colour due to refraction; I remember a particularly vivid green flash myself, while the ancient Greeks noticed the frequent red flashes and insisted that Sirius was red.

However many people do percieve a blue colour as predominant in Sirius' repertoire; it may also have been coloured by particulate matter, such as woodsmoke- any bonfires near you?

And yes, contrails or 'chemtrails' if real, would also have this effect.

Except, of course, thinking about it again, particulate Rayleigh scattering would tend to turn transmitted light red, not blue;

you get the blue colour of distant hills (for example) by backscattering, which is a bit difficult to imagine in this case.

Tonight Sirius looks amazing.....blue/red flashing, with a vitality unlike any other in the sky. Have a look, if you can. It is astounding...hello 2003, this is 2019 calling you!

I can see nothing here because it's cloudy, but one very cold night a couple of years ago, Sirius had me convinced that a UFO was about to make a landing at any second. It was so bright and colorful and glittery.

As the (officially) brightest star in tonight's sky, it's very strange to think that the photons of light that we are seeing from it, arriving at Earth now, left the star some time around 23rd May 2010

@JamesWhitehead - not that there's really ever much doubt regarding whether you've managed to see Sirius (or indeed Venus) but, here is a link to a simple-but-effective interactive PDF celestial image that's above your (customisable for location and time) head.

It's from the excellent German website 'Heavens Above'

Back