Competitive Eating: A Sport for our Debased Times?

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Inspired by the OP, I just did a little research into eating contests and it seems the first documented one of the modern era was held 4th July 1916 at Coney island - Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest which is still held nowadays. http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/06/origin-competitive-eating-contests/

India's 'monster eater' retires
Unfortunately, he didn't get time to lose weight or look after his elderly mother, he died a few months later in December 2006 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theetta_Rappai#Death

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
When you're traveling on I-40, anywhere within two hundred miles of Amarillo, Texas you'll see signs advertising a world-famous (according to the signs anyway) steakhouse inviting the hungry wayfarer to stop and have a steak--including the house special, a 72-ounce steak (yes, that's four-and-a-half pounds!) cooked like you like it. If you finish yours in one setting, the promoyion promises, it's free!

I've never been tempted--I like pork, fish, and seafood way better than I like steak, and besides that I travel on a low (read almost nonexistent) budget. But I've spoken to people who have eaten there, including one guy who allegedly took the 72-ounce challenge, and they tell a tale of terror.

It seems that if one orders the great big steak, they are seated at a special raised table, with bells and horns and great hullabaloo to attract spectators. Moreover, the challenge is actually to eat the whole steak dinner--a week's worth of beef, with salad, rolls, and a side of fries or baked potato--and to eat it all in one hour. If you succeed in getting it all down (and keeping it all down), you not only eat free, but get some kind of award--a E-shirt, or a certificate of gluttony, or something like that. If you fail, of course, you have to pay for your meal like anyone else, and it costs in the neighborhood of $75.00!! That comes out to a dollar an ounce with spuds, salad and rolls covered by the remaining three bucks.

Methinks there's a little bet-hedging going on there...
The steak on its own would be too much.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
When you're traveling on I-40, anywhere within two hundred miles of Amarillo, Texas you'll see signs advertising a world-famous (according to the signs anyway) steakhouse inviting the hungry wayfarer to stop and have a steak--including the house special, a 72-ounce steak (yes, that's four-and-a-half pounds!) cooked like you like it. If you finish yours in one setting, the promoyion promises, it's free!

I've never been tempted--I like pork, fish, and seafood way better than I like steak, and besides that I travel on a low (read almost nonexistent) budget. But I've spoken to people who have eaten there, including one guy who allegedly took the 72-ounce challenge, and they tell a tale of terror.

It seems that if one orders the great big steak, they are seated at a special raised table, with bells and horns and great hullabaloo to attract spectators. Moreover, the challenge is actually to eat the whole steak dinner--a week's worth of beef, with salad, rolls, and a side of fries or baked potato--and to eat it all in one hour. If you succeed in getting it all down (and keeping it all down), you not only eat free, but get some kind of award--a E-shirt, or a certificate of gluttony, or something like that. If you fail, of course, you have to pay for your meal like anyone else, and it costs in the neighborhood of $75.00!! That comes out to a dollar an ounce with spuds, salad and rolls covered by the remaining three bucks.

I've was once in an ice cream parlour in Honolulu where you could order an item which essentially was a gigantic banana split called 'The Trough' which came in a trough.
While there, someone ordered it and all of these bells and horns went off and upon delivery to the table, much fanfare was made by the cavalcade of staff applauding its delivering to the lucky person.
You had a time limit to finish it in and if successful, it was free as well as earning yourself a place on their wall of fame and a free t-shirt.
We didn't stay long enough to see if they were successful or not.
I can eat a lot, but a number of competitive eaters I've seen on t.v are often rather slim people.
Where do they fit it all?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
This sad incident has been mentioned on here before -

Cake eating competition kills man

A party-goer choked to death on fairy cakes when he took part in a contest to see who could eat the most. Five of the cakes became lodged in the throat of Adam Deeley.

Frantic efforts failed to clear the airway of the 34-year-old graphic designer, who was later confirmed dead in hospital. Police were yesterday investigating the death but say it was a ‘freak accident’.
The headline is slightly misleading because the 'competition' wasn't an organised event. Rather, it was some (possibly drunk) friends playing around with leftover buffet food.

Mr Deeley crammed several cakes into his mouth and quickly choked to death. I'm surprised this doesn't happen in organised gluttony contests. The Guinness Book of Records stopped recording them many years for several reasons including safety.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Yea i saw him eat a huge platter of, was it lobster, he actually did it, he got the t shirt

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
Wasn't just lobster (or crab) - a foot-long sausage, five or six kinds of other stuff including an ice-cream scoop of suspect-looking mash (mashed potato should not look like that) on a plate three feet long - and then a bucket full of ice-cream for dessert. In Alaska, I think; it was moose sausage, locally shot, sorry, sourced

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt

I'm imagining a thirty-stone Jim Morrison here....

We're waddling down the roadhouse, gonna have a meal....