Compressed Air Propulsion (Trams; Cars; Other Vehicles)

A

Anonymous

The French have come up with a car that runs on compressed air. From the BBC:

'Engineers in France believe they have come up with the answer that environmentalists and economists have spent years searching for: a commercially viable, 100% non-polluting car, which costs next to nothing to run.

The latest prototype will be unveiled on Thursday at the Paris motor show...

...But we were told it has a steering wheel in the middle, with passenger seats either side, a boot the size of the biggest estate, but in overall size terms is no bigger than a Smart car.

The air is compressed at pressure about 150 times the rate you would put into car tyres or your bicycle.'

A

Anonymous

If the air tak got a punture the thing would zoom around like a balloon.... :eek!!!!:

A

Anonymous

There was one on Tomorrows World a couple of years ago - could have been french can't really remember. It was big green thing and they were testing it as a taxi, but it was kinda noisy.

a commercially viable, 100% non-polluting car, which costs next to nothing to run.
Apart from the powerstation needed to power the pump to fill the tanks:D

A

Anonymous

p.younger said:
Sounds interesting, but will it go the way of ginger, never to be heard of again?
Yess, Biggles?

And what ever happened to the Anglo-French, Flying Passenger Sheep?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Everything old is new again ...

Egyptian students design car that runs on air
A group of Egyptian students has designed a vehicle they say will battle rising energy prices and promote clean energy by running on nothing but air.

The undergraduate students, who built the vehicle as part of their graduation project from Helwan University just outside Cairo, are rolling out a prototype one-person vehicle that runs on compressed oxygen.

The go-kart-like vehicle comes as Egypt pushes ahead with painful economic reforms that include deep cuts to energy subsidies, measures tied to a three-year $12 billion IMF loan program it began in late 2016.

The students say their vehicle can hit 40 kilometers an hour and last 30 kilometers before needing to be refueled, and it only costs about 18,000 Egyptian pounds ($1,008.40) to build.

"The operational cost of the vehicle... will be almost nothing. You are basically using compressed air. You are not paying for fuel and also you do not need cooling," said Mahmoud Yasser, a student who helped design it.

The team is now looking to raise funding to expand the project and mass produce the vehicles. They believe they can eventually get the vehicles to top 100 kilometers an hour and run for 100 kilometers before needing to come up for air.
SOURCE (with photo):
https://www.yahoo.com/news/egyptian-students-design-car-runs-air-185806992.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...nts-design-car-that-runs-on-air-idUSKBN1KT2E0

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Mikefule

Michael Wilkinson
The real Fortean thing here is how they are compressing all that air (or in some cases, apparently, "oxygen") without using any fuel — especially if they are doing it to 150 times the "rate" (sic) you would put it into your car tyres or bicycle.

My car tyres run at around 2.6 bar, my bike tyres at around 6 bar or a little more, so that's somewhere between 390 bar and 900 bar.

I know a little bit about compressors and in order to produce not only the pressure, but the volume of compressed air required, you would need a diesel (or similar engine) that would be more than adequate to power the car.

As with electric vehicles, clean at the point of use, but with pollution caused elsewhere.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The real Fortean thing here is how they are compressing all that air (or in some cases, apparently, "oxygen") without using any fuel — especially if they are doing it to 150 times the "rate" (sic) you would put it into your car tyres or bicycle. ...
I know a little bit about compressors and in order to produce not only the pressure, but the volume of compressed air required, you would need a diesel (or similar engine) that would be more than adequate to power the car.
As with electric vehicles, clean at the point of use, but with pollution caused elsewhere.
Exactly ... This point is illustrated by the following passage concerning the Mekarski compressed air system used in trams:

The system was used in England on the Wantage Tramway but did not find favour there because the compressor plant used more than four times as much coal as a steam locomotive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mekarski_system

It seems there was one application of pneumatic propulsion that justified itself over time - trams / locomotives used in mines, where flame or sparks represented an explosion risk.