Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
My name is Frideswide and I am currently immersed in Dragon Age 3 Inquisition. Totally immersed. Am missing deadlines and avoiding people so that I can play..... wonderful :D

I also mod games, especially adding er.... adult matter :oops: to games where the developers left it out. And shouldn't have done. I mean, I don't go and add in CharName Does Lemmings into er... Lemmings!

Cavynaut

Justified & Ancient
I've been playing Starfleet Commander since 2008....not so much a game as a battle of spreadsheets. But after so long I'm not likely to give up now.

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
Hi all!
Long time lurker (think pre-2008) but finally persuaded to come out of the closet :)
I have been game addict ever since I had my first ZX .... different planet from this one now

Proud owner of PS3 at the moment but Speccy in the soul.
So much that I visit World of Spectrum every now and then.
And I do tend to get lost in ELITE for days trying to sell my Narcotics cargo to Democratic system...

anybody?

The only computer games I've ever enjoyed that much were Bully (aka 'Canis Canem Edit', bizarrely), 'Destroy All Humans' (the first one) and Blood (the first one). And Max Payne was alright. Not that any of that is at all relevant to the current state of the art. Oh, Heavy Rain was alright, but got bored with it for some reason.

Oh, and Defender. Does that count?

Hi all!
Long time lurker (think pre-2008) but finally persuaded to come out of the closet :)
I have been game addict ever since I had my first ZX .... different planet from this one now

And I do tend to get lost in ELITE for days trying to sell my Narcotics cargo to Democratic system...

anybody?
Welcome,
Have you seen this?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega

Frideswide

Staff member
Hi all!

anybody?

Elite!!!!! ruled my gaming world for years. I remember everyone thinking I was mad. As they all went back to herd monkeys in Castle Quest on the BBC :(

Do you remember Castle of Dr Creep? And a WW2 game where when one of you wee men wne t down he's wimper "medic!"?????

Frideswide

Staff member
The only computer games I've ever enjoyed that much were Bully (aka 'Canis Canem Edit', bizarrely), 'Destroy All Humans' (the first one) and Blood (the first one). And Max Payne was alright. Not that any of that is at all relevant to the current state of the art. Oh, Heavy Rain was alright, but got bored with it for some reason.

Oh, and Defender. Does that count?

Defender :D happy memories here but I couldn't tell you more than it's ringing bells of somesort.

I know nothing of Bully - why was it aka Dog Eats Dogs? o_O

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
'Middle Earth - Shadow Of Mordor' is my current drug of choice.

The parkour of Assassin's Creed and free-flowing combat of Arkham all wrapped-up in a shiny Tolkien wrapping. I'm about 70% through, and it's absolutely brilliant.

The highlight is the Nemesis system though - Orcs and Uruk remember you after a fight, and even carry the scars to prove it. And they appear at the most inconvenient times to get their revenge...

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I spent a huge amount of time playing elite. Lost in a wireframe universe that fitted on one cassette. Do I revisit that universe with the Elite Dangerous reboot? Have I the time to grind and battle my way through incremental trade profits to get that docking computer?

Another game I loved was Dungeon Master on the ST. That was a classic beautifully redone recently with Legend of Grimrock.

I suppose it would be fair to say I am a games nut.

Frideswide

Staff member
Speaking of reboots, Planescape:Torment anyone?????

I lived in that game for several years and still revisit :)

Mr Frideswide is currently deep into 'Middle Earth - Shadow Of Mordor'. Says he nearly died IRL when the Nemesis system first kicked in and a bruiser turned up for a rematch!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Ooooh! ... I'm an ex-speccy and used to buy Crash and Sinclair User, I hadn't heard about this new console, cheers DP ... I'll have to send this link to my sister's husband .. he was one of the founders of Elite software back in the day so possibly already knows about it anyway ..

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
Currently playing "Don't Starve". Resource gathering, exploration and puzzle solving. Visuals are very reminiscent of Gorey and Burton. Refreshing and frustrating in equal measure is the save game facility, you have one life and if you die in game, no turning back the clock; you're dead.
As addictive as Better Than Life in The Nexus with a few narcomemes thrown in.
3 thumbs up

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Currently on my 3rd playthrough of Bioshock Infinite in '1999 mode'. Which is fuck annoying in places, not so much for being difficult as for having checkpoints in dumb ass places.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is next up, then probably Deus Ex:Human Revolution just to see what it looks like with a newer graphics card.

I tend to play on and off, a couple of weeks on, month or so off while I work on other stuff. So by the time I get through the above, Far Cry 4 should be down in price a bit.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
'Middle Earth - Shadow Of Mordor' is my current drug of choice.

The parkour of Assassin's Creed and free-flowing combat of Arkham all wrapped-up in a shiny Tolkien wrapping. I'm about 70% through, and it's absolutely brilliant.

The highlight is the Nemesis system though - Orcs and Uruk remember you after a fight, and even carry the scars to prove it. And they appear at the most inconvenient times to get their revenge...

Worth getting?

I'm an old Resident Evil master. Love DayZ but really enjoying Warthunder. Oh and a Diablo HC lunatic in the old days.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Doomdark's Revenge is out on an app these days as is the Lords of Midnight. Mike Singleton needs a blue plaque where he lived.

Defender :D happy memories here but I couldn't tell you more than it's ringing bells of somesort.
Defender was absolutely stunning at the time, so much so that the dazzling graphics and sound design meant no one really minded that it required such fast reactions and hand/eye coordination that many people couldn't actually 'play' it, in any meaningful sense of the word: Fizz! Whoosh! Kapow! There goes your pocket money.

I know nothing of Bully - why was it aka Dog Eats Dogs? o_O
Bully's a great game (IMHO), but perhaps a game for people who aren't really gamers (I'm certainly not, although I enjoyed the colours and noises of arcade games as a kid). Long story short: a few years ago I bought a PS2, on impulse, from a charity shop, never having had much interest in owning a console, and picked up a ton of games, most of which I didn't care for at all...and wondered if this was an age-appropriate activity for me after all ;)

However one title was this unpleasant looking seven-year-old game about a stroppy young lad packed off to the worst school in America. To my bemusement it a) made me laugh out loud almost immediately and b) had the atmosphere of a real place peopled with characters I actually began to care about. I BECAME OBSESSED with this game and suddenly understood how people can spend so much time on a pastime the appeal of which I had expected always to elude me.

The PAL version, for sale in Europe, had to be renamed as Bully attracted a lot of controversy, being superficially about violent kids knocking the shite out of each other in a failed school (actually it's about power / status struggles, shifting political alliances, mistrust, duplicity and broken friendships in a far larger community). So the developers decided to use the cod Latin motto from the school's coat of arms: hence something, roughly, like 'Dog Eat Dog', which seems appropriately dysfunctional.

Basically it's an easier, more likeable reworking of the GTA series...what I wanted to say is that thanks in particular to 'Canis Canem Edit' and 'Destroy all Humans' - another wonderfully atmospheric and satirical game - I was able to enjoy spending part of my life in an alternative existence. It's an experience I honestly valued as much as that of an absorbing novel or truly great piece of cinema - to my delight and, if I'm honest, surprise.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I was an avid Spectrum gamer throughout the 80s, but the first game that started causing me to miss out on sleep was Lemmings - the hours just evaporate as the dawn chorus seeps through that infernal music.

Didn't the chap who invented Tetris go through a stage of seeing everything in terms of the block-shapes - buildings, people, food, dogs?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Didn't the chap who invented Tetris go through a stage of seeing everything in terms of the block-shapes - buildings, people, food, dogs?

I can understand that. When I was doing low res sprites and textures I started seeing things a bit pixelly.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
It was all downhill after Ant Attack for me... think Doom was the last game I got into, but was predictably rubbish at.

anybody?
I don't know what any of that means (apart from narcotics) :) But a friend of mine became obsessed with playing Elite on an old BBC micro to the point that he'd get back from work, sit on his own in 'the computer room' - this was in the early 90s - staying up virtually all night before driving to his job writing code for an electronics manufacturer then coming back to do it all over again. To this day I couldn't tell you how much this affected his mental state as he was almost entirely uncommunicative toward us (his flatmates) during this time!

I do recall that he used to get extremely irritable if disturbed :)

I can understand that. When I was doing low res sprites and textures I started seeing things a bit pixelly.
Wow, that's brought back a forgotten memory (if that makes sense). I do remember playing Wolfenstein and then Doom when we first got a PC. Nearby was a two-storey brutalist car park which made a useful shortcut into town. One night as I walked through this structure of dirty concrete and flickering flourescent tubes I found myself wanting to dodge sideways to peek behind the upright pillars. Which was weird, if perhaps not unexpected.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
There was also a period of my life when I was playing a lot of Duke Nukem and whenever I saw a grill or an air vent clocked it as a possible exit route.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Currently on my 3rd playthrough of Bioshock Infinite in '1999 mode'. Which is fuck annoying in places, not so much for being difficult as for having checkpoints in dumb ass places.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is next up, then probably Deus Ex:Human Revolution just to see what it looks like with a newer graphics card.

I tend to play on and off, a couple of weeks on, month or so off while I work on other stuff. So by the time I get through the above, Far Cry 4 should be down in price a bit.
Deus Ex:Human Revolution - frustrating! I played it up to a certain point, then couldn't get past a certain 'boss fight'.
Given up - I hate games with impossible boss levels.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I didn't like Deus Ex HR anyway. It blew its own stealth mechanic and was generally insipid rubbish.