Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

GNC

King-Sized Canary
My dad was addicted to Elite. I think it was a substitute for smoking which he had given up recently. He'd also trade in "liqueurs" because he hadn't noticed it actually said "liquors" on the screen. Sounded a bit posher.

Moooksta

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Have been playing Mario Kart 8 online since I bought it on it's release date last May...12 racers...good course design...banana skins....sheer chaos.
I'd also recommend ZombiU on the WiiU....trucking around abandoned London Underground stations with a cricket bat for defense. A bit like rush hour.

That looks like tremendous fun in principle. Wouldn't be much use to me though...I couldn't bring myself to go through the frustration of struggling with games like Manic Miner again. The thing'd be out the window in ten minutes :mad:
I don't know how they are going to deal with copyright issues. I've forgotten the name, but the company who brought out Sabre Wulf, their games don't seem to be available anywhere.
Two cheesy non spectrum games I've liked in the last few years were Deathspank and Dink Smallwood. Anyone?

titch

Justified & Ancient
I play lotro a lot, but recently been playing rome tw 2 ( conquered the world saturday morning):)

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
I can't believe I'm going to be the first to mention Civilisation - I can't be the only person to have wasted months of my life playing that game. There's a port called Freeciv that's even available for your android phone, which is pretty much Civ 2 (although airlifts don't work :cool:). For fans of the first Elite, there is also oolite - my system and I are sticking our fingers in our ears and pretending with all our might that there is no such thing as Elite: Dangerous...

Lastly, as I type I have open in another window an ongoing game of OpenTTD, which is a port of Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon Deluxe from way back in 1995. If I ever reach 21st Century gaming, there will be no hope for me :eek:

[edited to remove a rogue Smiley from the name of the new iteration of Elite]

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
God games in general don't suck me in but that's personal preference. I love-hate relationship with Godus at the moment.

Anyone remember Hack (and then NetHack)? with the wee dog?

I keep meaning to ask should a gaming thread pop up on here...has anyone had a go at The Stanley Parable ?

I've managed the demo (feat. V/O by Sir Stephen of Fry) based on a recommendation, but don't know anyone who's persisted with the full game. I'm tempted but strongly suspect it would do my head in. Thoughts?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I finished Farcry 4 the other night and solved my desolate state by picking up South Park the Stick of Truth in Sainsbury's for a tenner.

That's not the full title by the way.

Frideswide

Staff member
I've wondered about that jimv1.... can you report back please?

titch

Justified & Ancient
Since a spectrum 128 +2 was the first computer i owned i am very tempted too buy one of the consoles,if it had ancient battles and pirates on it i would buy it right away. (pirates was the first game i became addicted too, a terrific open world mash of gaming styles)

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I've wondered about that jimv1.... can you report back please?
i can thoroughly recommend Farcry4 There's sooooooooooooooooo much to do.

So far I'm liking SP TSOT - it's really making me chuckle but I love the show. I won't give away the plot by saying it's done like a good old fashioned RPG, levelling up skills, magic and weapons in an authentic style that feels like you're progressing an episode of the show. The combat system is turn based so if you like Final Fantasy, you won't find this too different.
It's puerile, scatalogical, unPC and very funny in places.

Frideswide

Staff member
It's puerile, scatalogical, unPC and very funny in places.
I'll put it on my wish list - is it on Steam?

And have a prize for first use of puerile in 2015! It's one of my selective perception words for some reason :)

chris138

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Am I alone in being addicted to the Football Manager series?

Mario Kart 8 was bought for my nephewsat christmas, what good fun!

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
'Middle Earth - Shadow Of Mordor' is my current drug of choice.

The parkour of Assassin's Creed and free-flowing combat of Arkham all wrapped-up in a shiny Tolkien wrapping. I'm about 70% through, and it's absolutely brilliant.

The highlight is the Nemesis system though - Orcs and Uruk remember you after a fight, and even carry the scars to prove it. And they appear at the most inconvenient times to get their revenge...

Hey Carlos just bought Middle Earth. Any beginners tips? Struggling with the Gimub. Mind you only tried a couple of times. Also having Nvidia crashes but I'm looking at fixing that.

So whats the deal with the Orc captains?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
The Captains are pretty unbeatable until you level up a little bit - I spent the first while getting as many collectibles as possible to get me chap upgraded.

Every time you're 'killed' (you never really die cos you're already dead!) the orc that finished you off becomes a Captain - the red missions that appear are power struggles between the Captains, you can interrupt them but if you don't they will play out regardless. The winners will get promoted again until they become a Warchief.....unless you polish them off first.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
The Captains are pretty unbeatable until you level up a little bit - I spent the first while getting as many collectibles as possible to get me chap upgraded.

Every time you're 'killed' (you never really die cos you're already dead!) the orc that finished you off becomes a Captain - the red missions that appear are power struggles between the Captains, you can interrupt them but if you don't they will play out regardless. The winners will get promoted again until they become a Warchief.....unless you polish them off first.
Thanks I wondered why I was getting munted! Thanks for the advice.