Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I'm a bit of a novice at gaming but I've been playing Far Scape 3. A quite infuriating thing is where it saves. Some scenes are 'of a piece' which you have to complete in one & if you don't make it & stop, when you next start you have to go through the whole scene again from the start which can take an age & is fairly tedious as you've already done it before.

It doesn't seem possible to save where you've got to unless I'm missing something, which is easily possible..

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I'm a bit of a novice at gaming but I've been playing Far Scape 3. A quite infuriating thing is where it saves. Some scenes are 'of a piece' which you have to complete in one & if you don't make it & stop, when you next start you have to go through the whole scene again from the start which can take an age & is fairly tedious as you've already done it before.

It doesn't seem possible to save where you've got to unless I'm missing something, which is easily possible..
Yeah, these events are pretty common in games. The idea is to present a challenge with some proper reward for completion as opposed to a regular save of progress.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
My son has finally reappeared since RDR2 came out - he wasn't impressed with the ending but said it was well worth my money.
Already? He must have missed so much the game has to offer. I’m still doing chapter 2 and loving hunting and exploring.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I've just learned that a game called Finding Bigfoot came out last year. Here's some of the game play, it looks pretty creepy

Last edited:

George_millett

Ephemeral Spectre
Any one else play Secret World? A friend got us into it a while ago as a replacement for World of Warcraft.
Its got a very good storyline behind it and an interesting/unusual class system.

Hint there are no "classes" just 9 weapons that you can use purchase in any combination. Seems much more geared towards PVE as well which I do prefer.

Bonus it is a 'Freemium' where it geniunely is not pay to win.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
https://torrentfreak.com/nintendo-wins-12-million-from-pirate-rom-site-operators-181112/

This piss me off is the fact is that the games industry has no interest in preserving games it's being left down too the public to preserve and archive games hell theirs a lot of games were the code no longer exists but games companies prefer to sue people instead and this would not happen if Nintendo made all there old games available to people for say £3.99 starting from nes up to the gba/n64 and game cube games for £5.99

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Any one else play Secret World? A friend got us into it a while ago as a replacement for World of Warcraft.
Its got a very good storyline behind it and an interesting/unusual class system.

Hint there are no "classes" just 9 weapons that you can use purchase in any combination. Seems much more geared towards PVE as well which I do prefer.

Bonus it is a 'Freemium' where it geniunely is not pay to win.
I played The Secret World when it was first released - the story was excellent, combat was varied & complicated and the community very friendly then Funcom decided to end it and bring out Secret World Legends which was almost the same but you couldn't port your characters so had to go through the whole levelling up/storyline again and the combat became very monotonous.
Play for the story but don't expect it to be expanded - they've almost stopped supporting it again now the number of players has gone down.
Beware though - some of the puzzles are very obscure and the "stealth missions" are just plain awful.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Remastered ‘Half-Life 2’ Coming to Vive & Rift with VR Controller Support:

Praised as one of the greatest games ever made, the 13 year old Half-Life 2 is a lauded piece of gaming history. But soon you’ll be able to revisit the perils of City 17 using the latest and greatest VR hardware around. A reborn mod project is bringing compatibility for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive with full motion input support, remastered visuals, a made-for-VR UI, realistic weapon interactions, and more.

After several years of the mod in dormancy, members of the original mod, with some new help, have devised a method to make the mod work with the latest Rift and Vive. Watch the trailer above. Not only will it allow players to step into the world of Half-Life 2in VR, it will also add motion controller support to make the game function much like a modern VR title. The mod team is further promising the following:
  • HDR lighting
  • Updated effects, textures, models & maps
  • A made for VR UI
  • Realistic weapon interactions
  • Multiple VR locomotion methods
The mod team is sensibly calling the package Half-Life 2: VR (not to be confused with the original mod’s name, HLVR). It will be released entirely for free, though it does require a copy of Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 & 2 to work correctly.

https://www.roadtovr.com/half-life-2-vr-mod-coming-to-oculus-rift-and-htc-vive/

maximus otter

George_millett

Ephemeral Spectre
I played The Secret World when it was first released - the story was excellent, combat was varied & complicated and the community very friendly then Funcom decided to end it and bring out Secret World Legends which was almost the same but you couldn't port your characters so had to go through the whole levelling up/storyline again and the combat became very monotonous.
Play for the story but don't expect it to be expanded - they've almost stopped supporting it again now the number of players has gone down.
Beware though - some of the puzzles are very obscure and the "stealth missions" are just plain awful.

Apparently there is something happening on November 14, so it does seem that new stuff is still being brought out for it. And agreed some of the stealth missions are really annoying.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Still playing Red Dead Redemption 2. What a game. The graphics are gorgeous, environments are lush and atmospheric. But what sets this apart from something like Witcher 3 is the quality of the scripting. You meet a stranger and get a quest. In a few sentences of voice acting, you get an idea of their background, education and motives. It’s brilliant at precis.
In an unexpected encounter, I set up a night camp as a save point to craft and cook and restore my batteries overnight. Then this mad woman wandered in asking to share the fire. She jabbered on and on and then paused and said ‘You’re giving me that look my uncles used to give me. I’m going to move along’. And then she ran off into the night.

Rushing this game is to miss the point. Fast travelling from town to town to rush the story means you miss so much.

Game of the year for me definitely.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
What a great clip! Love the way Toyah throws in the bit about appearing nude on the London stage at the end, because the whole thing hadn't been enough of a shambles of randomness before. Still better than Gamesmaster.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
What a great clip! Love the way Toyah throws in the bit about appearing nude on the London stage at the end, because the whole thing hadn't been enough of a shambles of randomness before. Still better than Gamesmaster.
It's a clash of competing egos through and through.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I've been revisiting a game from my childhood, 1998's Star Wars Rogue Squadron. It's still great!

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
Finally playing Psychonauts again, that's a blast.

And now that I have a computer to handle it, I've installed a bunch of mods for Terraria and it's like a brand-new game.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Finished Mass Effect 3, got the slightly-underwhelming 'reject' ending... ah well, it was a good ride.

Started Thronebreaker - The Witcher Tales Gwent-based RPG. It's really, really good. A buggy mess at times, but worth it.

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Just started Mutant Year One - Road To Eden.
It's an interesting mix of real-time and turn-based strategy - exploration takes place in real-time and combat is turn-based.
It takes a while getting to grips with the combat (get HogRush and use it often) and the exploration can be a bit tedious but the story is interesting and there are some good humorous touches.
Plenty of scope for expansions ...

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Still playing State of Decay 2. It's great fun with a few beers but really lacks the storyline of the first. Daybreak is rubbish though.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Just finished Red Dead Redemption 2. What an epic game.
Writing superb. Mocap superb. Music superb. Plot superb. Play it out fully and you’ll enjoy one of the most interesting media experiences this year. And I mean media, including the best TV, Film or game thing you’ve done. The characters are amazing. Encounters are in turns weird and heartbreaking.

Imo it’s 200% better than Witcher3 if that’s any recommendation. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
Someone I know via the internet implemented real world weather into his game world (think of it as a mini-mmo). Hopefully you don't live in Manchester...

manchester.png