Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I was really impressed by Cuphead. It's hard as nails by post 2000 standards, yes. But those of us who grew up playing platformers in the the 80 and 90s will not see it as unfamiliar in terms of difficulty to those we played back then.

It's proper beautiful. Has that whole Fleischer Animation type vibe to it. And it does it so perfectly.
I've knocked a few more levels on the head since posting.

I agree with you completely. The experience is exactly the same as hacking through, say, Ghosts 'N Goblins (or Ghouls 'N Ghosts) or blasting though Metal Slug: a combination of pattern recognition, simply logic and muscle memory--frustrating at times but immensely rewarding.

The literally haven't played any games of this kind since university, so I have no point of reference, but did games get notably easier? I though 'platform games' were largely dead beyond retro-gaming circles.

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
I've knocked a few more levels on the head since posting.

I agree with you completely. The experience is exactly the same as hacking through, say, Ghosts 'N Goblins (or Ghouls 'N Ghosts) or blasting though Metal Slug: a combination of pattern recognition, simply logic and muscle memory--frustrating at times but immensely rewarding.

The literally haven't played any games of this kind since university, so I have no point of reference, but did games get notably easier? I though 'platform games' were largely dead beyond retro-gaming circles.
By and large they kind of are outside or retro-gaming and pastiches and tributes to the genre. Even the likes of Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog and Rayman work in the three dimensional worlds now. The only new platform property I can think of in recent years is Lucky's Tale, but that too is 3D.

2D Platformers of the 80s and 90s required very specific pattern recognition. There wasn't a lot of room for error. And while that did still try to move that mentality forward into the 3D era I think that by their very virtue three dimensional environments offer that bit more space to work in to achieve an objective.

Climb to a platform. Jump on a Boss x number of times. Duck out of the way for a big attack. In a 2D setup you've fewer parts of the screen you can dodge to not get hit by something. In a larger 3D environment you tend to have more space to work in. Which doesn't necessarily make it easier by proxy, but not quite so... frenetic?

In general though I do feel that games have become easier because of the change in ethos of how they are made. These days there's much more focus on crafting an experience than creating a series of time sensitive puzzles. Developers look to produce large open worlds, with expansive storylines, or vast environments to explore and build your own stories through.

The notion of Levels 1-100 is gone. Now it's 'play all the content in the order you wish'. And that has fundamentally changed gaming.

CuriousIdent

...while choosing from our selection of in-game purchases.
Microtransactions really do suck.

I'm absolutely not against the concept of extra expansions and downloadable content which expands a story, but the notion of paying money for extra randomised loot boxes and the like is just plain wrong. Cynical design.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Looks I will not be getting mk11 because of its got loot crates and mico transactions oh and game devs need to keep politics out of of games.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I've just discovered a free MMORPG on PS4 - Neverwinter.

It's a Dungeons & Dragons adventure, it may be MM but the entire thing can be completed as single-player (except for some PvP), and it's totally free including all nine DLC expansions.

I may be some time.

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient

It's a Dungeons & Dragons adventure, it may be MM but the entire thing can be completed as single-player (except for some PvP), and it's totally free including all nine DLC expansions.

I may be some time.
Having last played around DLC 5 or so, I don't recommend it.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Shenmue 3 is now an epic store exclusive what a shity move when people backed the Kickstarter with the promise of a steam key people are asking for their money back.

mikfez

Generally Bewildered

I may be some time.
I shouldn't bother - it's a bit arse.

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Shenmue 3 is now an epic store exclusive what a shity move when people backed the Kickstarter with the promise of a steam key people are asking for their money back.
They did the same with Phoenix Point - I now have to wait 12 months after it's released on Epic before being able to play it on Steam.
Apparently Epic approached Julian Gollop with an offer he couldn't refuse and so he shafted his backers.
I could play it on Epic but I have my principles ;)

CuriousIdent

At least you'll get to play it. Sony threw in a lot of money to stop it being released on Xbox One.

Despite previous Shenmue games having appeared earlier on the original Xbox, and never having appeared on any PlayStation.

/moan

Last edited: