Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
Latest Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer
April 16th 2020 ...
£249.99p for Collector's Edition - wtf - looks good though
Was hoping for actual gameplay showed this year at E3. Not just the unexpected cameo.

As with last year CDPR arranged a behind closed doors demo of the game, for journalists. But not for the general public.

That's a shame. I so hope this one doesn't turn out to be a disappointment.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
While I’ve been away, I’ve done Red Dead 2, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Origins. Origins is pretty good but choose the male character in Odyssey and you’re in for a supercheesy accent fest. Now, having popped into Game and picking up Elite Dangerous for the PS4 for a few quid, I’m back to grinding through a second life as a space commander again.

Forget E3... I came across this year old trailer recently and wondered why I’d never heard of this game, is it out and why can’t I get that song out of my head?

Atomic Heart looks bonkers and kind of unsettling - I'll keep an eye out for it.

Of course I'm as excited as any other nerd waiting for 2077 - not £250 excited, but pretty sure I'll be springing the £50 for it...

And that 'retro lookin' Rocket Man onna jet-pack kinda fallout-y looking game I've been seeing everywhere and suddenly can't remember the name of or find the trailer for!'. Yeah, could some one remind me what that is so I can confirm its real and not some fever dream I've been having all week (I've not been well, so thats possible...).

In the meantime, languishing a I have been under the cosh of the lurgh, I buckled and re-installed Skyrim and an imperial fook-tonne of mods, and have been playing merrily away.

One of the mods adds a set of cloaks to the crafting tree, but you have to find or craft (don't ask me, I'm just playing the mod ;D) the instruction manual for it first.

soundsfamiliar.jpeg

Hmm, sounds familiar, somehow...

Hope the picture formatting works out...

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
And that 'retro lookin' Rocket Man onna jet-pack kinda fallout-y looking game I've been seeing everywhere and suddenly can't remember the name of or find the trailer for!'. Yeah, could some one remind me what that is so I can confirm its real and not some fever dream I've been having all week (I've not been well, so thats possible...).
The Outer Worlds, probably.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
While I’ve been away, I’ve done Red Dead 2, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Origins. Origins is pretty good but choose the male character in Odyssey and you’re in for a supercheesy accent fest. Now, having popped into Game and picking up Elite Dangerous for the PS4 for a few quid, I’m back to grinding through a second life as a space commander again.

Forget E3... I came across this year old trailer recently and wondered why I’d never heard of this game, is it out and why can’t I get that song out of my head?
Good call for Elite Dangerous. I'm into my 3rd year and it's still my go-to game. Recently bought a Fer-de-Lance (fast , fighting ship) and it really kicks arse. Because the developers keep adding new content, that universe gets ever bigger and stranger too.

I see you completed Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm around 9 hours in and 14% complete. The graphics are utterly stunning, but I can't say the game has grabbed me in quite the way that Witcher 3 did.
I've robbed a train, killed a legendary bear, stolen a stagecoach, won a few hands of poker, been involved in several punch-ups and done loads of minor missions, but it all feels a bit unfocused. Maybe the main story arc has yet to kick in?

Last edited:

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
[QUOTE="blessmycottonsocks, post: 1869455, member:
I see you completed Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm around 9 hours in and 14% complete. The graphics are utterly stunning, but I can't say the game has grabbed me in quite the way that Witcher 3 did.[/QUOTE]
l love Witcher 3. I've played it for hours and stopped at a spot where I still have side missions, but it instructed that if I completed a section of the story that that section of the game will be unavailable. I didn't want to make that decision yet, so have taken a break (about a year now):)

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I see you completed Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm around 9 hours in and 14% complete. The graphics are utterly stunning, but I can't say the game has grabbed me in quite the way that Witcher 3 did.
l love Witcher 3. I've played it for hours and stopped at a spot where I still have side missions, but it instructed that if I completed a section of the story that that section of the game will be unavailable. I didn't want to make that decision yet, so have taken a break (about a year now):)[/QUOTE]

You're way up North near the Isle of Mists then?
You still get to travel around the map once you've crossed that threshold, but some minor quests are closed off to you. Whe you do complete the game, let us know which ending you get, as there are several, depending on actions you take.

Newt

Devoted Cultist
I've lost a year and a half of my life to a mud...
It has been a very strange experience.

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/20...6-CnUSc95NafwZVaiEd5RKwCBKvhJ6DW&guccounter=2

EA tells UK Parliament loot boxes are 'quite ethical'

The company insists they are just "surprise mechanics" like Kinder Eggs.
That's a bloody lie and ea know it.
I'm not familiar with this. I read a couple of articles and can't understand what they are. What does "surprise mechanics" mean? Kinder Eggs have toys in them. Are they also comparing them to other kid collectibles that you pay ridiculous amounts of money buying numerous stupid "surprise" packages hoping just to get a specific toy?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
l love Witcher 3. I've played it for hours and stopped at a spot where I still have side missions, but it instructed that if I completed a section of the story that that section of the game will be unavailable. I didn't want to make that decision yet, so have taken a break (about a year now):)[/QUOTE]

I’m guessing you hit The Isle of Mists point.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I'm not familiar with this. I read a couple of articles and can't understand what they are. What does "surprise mechanics" mean? Kinder Eggs have toys in them. Are they also comparing them to other kid collectibles that you pay ridiculous amounts of money buying numerous stupid "surprise" packages hoping just to get a specific toy?
The toys in Kinder Eggs have an actual physical form. I’m not sure a new hat for a game character is the same thing. It is, however, less of a choking hazard.

As for Red Dead2, I did a 98.2% completion and I loved every glorious second of it.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Loot boxes are random items drops and its seen as a from of gambling in multiplayer games and they have even put loot boxes in single player games and it has piss off some gamers.

CuriousIdent

A major addition to online gaming over the past 5 years.

A loot box is an item paid for either using in-game currency (money you acquire via doing things in the game) or via actual money (real world currency) which gives the player a randomised set of rewards of varying use and value.

Mostly it's new aesthetic items (Armor, Hats, emote animations etc) but some games also have powerups and stat boosters. And it's the latter which causes the most controversy, as theoretically you could pay real money in order to acquire an advantage over players who don't.

The contents of loot boxes is done by random number generation. The Odds of getting something you might actually want from the pool of available items is slim. And because many games give you the options to purchase loot boxes for actual money it has been seen by many as gambling mechanics being added to games which younger players have access to.

And as with all gambling it can of course easily get out of hand. A friend of mine had their son run up a several hundred pound debt on Fortnite buying loot boxes. His credit card was attached to the Xbox account. His son very sneakily started making small transactions to start with. But then started to get hooked on trying for a specific item. He got it! But only after plowing hundreds of pounds into trying.

Last edited:

CuriousIdent

Here's a question for you all (or at least a subject to discuss)...

The big takeaway from Microsoft's E3 conference this year was arguably not the teaser for their next console ('Project Scarlett' to use it's working title) but over changes to an existing service.

The Xbox Game Pass.

For those of you unfamiliar with what that actually is allow me to briefly explain. About a year ago MS launched Game Pass, which was seen as a rival service to EA's 'EA's Access'. In short a subscription service where (for a monthly fee) you could download games from a vault of 100+ titles and pay them all for part of that subscription.

Hardly the first of its kind, but whereas most other similar service add games to the vault which have been out for a 8+ months (games you may already have bought) MS have taken a different approach.

Every Xbox Game Studios title is available to play through the Game Pass the day it launches. In some cases you'll get them a few days early. Sure, the third party titles which get added (mostly from companies whose games MS have shown off at trade shows) get added months after release like any other, but their own games are available Day One.

And going forward given the number of studio which have been bought up by Microsoft over the past year? Going forward that's potentially pretty good.
  • Compulsion Games (We Happy Few)
  • The Coalition (Gears of War)
  • Mojang (Minecraft)
  • Ninja Theory (Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice)
  • Playground Games (Forza Horizon)
  • Rare (Banjo-Kazooie, Sea of Thieves, Killer Instinct)
  • 343 Industries (Halo)
  • Double Fine (Psychonauts, Broken Age, Grim Fandango)
  • inXile (The Bard's Tale, WAsrelan2 & 3)
  • Turn 10 (Forza)
  • Obsidian Entertainment (Pillars of Eternity, South Park: The Stick of Truth)
  • Undead Labs (State of Decay)

Even if this generation Xbox exclusive titles may have seemed a little sparse? You can bet there will be significant numbers of releases from those guys in coming years.

The major change though is that this service is also now being made available on PC. Either as a separate package or for £3 more a month you can get The Ultimate Game Pass bundle, which gives you access to the Vault of titles for Xbox, for PC and your Xbox Live subscription included.

Yes, on Xbox you still have to pay for online access. It's an enclosed community with good reporting tools, and which filters out players who are reported for misuse of the service (banning for repeated abuse). It's kind of a no-brainer to include it in a package now rather than requiring a separate payment.

But why is any of this in any way interesting in a wider context?

Because of a details many people may have missed. It's all about Streaming.

In the xCloud segment of their presentation MS mentioned that as of October they will start trialing allowing users to stream games from their home Xbox to laptops, tablets and mobile devices across the internet. But that's not where it ends.

Game Pass subscribers will also be able to stream games from Microsoft's own supercomputers.

It seems that rather than the console war everybody assumed they'd continue to fight MS are actually also going to target Google Stadia.

We've talked about Stadia quite a bit on this thread. But the one take home from recent weeks was what the actual price point would be for Google's service. To which the answer seems to be that Google will charge a monthly fee, but for that fee you don't get very much for your money. You'll get to stream Destiny 2 (for anybody who still hasn't played that) but all other games will still have to be purchased on top of your subscription. No Price per Game given yet....

MS on the other hand is giving you access to 100+ titles for your subscription money.

One thing's for certain, game streaming is not going to go away. But competition can only be a good thing for consumers.

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
Windows 10 (I'm not a fan, but to run a PC you have to have Windows) has an Xbox app. I've tried to delete it, but of course it being a Microsoft product I can't. So they've been setting up game streaming for a while.

I'm totally with @Megadeth1977 on this. I hate having my options predetermined for me by any conpany.

This even extends to ebooks, streaming music etc. I don't like paying for something that I don't get to have because it's a "subscription" and once I cancel my subscription, I lose everything that I have downloaded. It's too much like giving big corporations control over what exists or not.

CuriousIdent

I've said this many times video games streaming is bad for the consumer the same with movies because it means right holders have complete control and consumer will never own anything and media company's can deside what gets made available.

To be fair, beyond PC gaming we're long beyond the point of no return.

For the current generation of consoles there is no truly owning a product. You can buy a disc in a box, but it's merely an installer for a game. You can't play off the disc anymore. And even after installing it you cannot play it without downloading the most recent patch. The console holders won't let you.

Well, you can play offline. But the number of titles without some kind of online element is very slim these days.

It always kind of confuses me when I see people determinedly plowing there way into GAME to pick up their pre-order copy of the most recent expansion to Destiny, or some other always online title. Knowing that all they're getting in that box is an installer disc which they already own ad a code to download the content from the storefront of their console.

Why? I mean maybe you save a few quid buying physically, but that is the only tangible benefit now.