Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
Here's more on Google's streaming plans, btw:

Eurogamer: Don't expect games to be cheaper on Google Stadia

My major concern with streaming was that developers would lose out if their games were to be included in Google's subscription.

But here we have it in plain English:

"It had been unclear whether these games would cost full-price on Stadia, given you're simply streaming them as opposed to buying a disc or downloading the game onto a hard-drive. But in a roundtable interview with UK games press this morning, attended by Eurogamer, Stadia chief Phil Harrison indicated Stadia games will cost the same as they do on other platforms such as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - that is, they won't be cheaper.

"I don't know why it would be cheaper," Harrison replied when Eurogamer asked".

We're talking about paying Google £9 a month, and then £50 for each new game on top of that.

Why *would* you?

...it means right holders have complete control and consumer will never own anything...
I've got bad news for you - the computer games buying consumer has never owned any of the games they paid for - even in the days before digital download services (Steam, et al), we only ever bought a license to use that software. True, in the days of cassettes. disks and CD's revoking that license was near impossible (not many publishers have a goon squad to send 'round to take it off us!), but still, those where, and still are, the terms we agreed to at point of sale.

We're talking about paying Google £9 a month, and then £50 for each new game on top of that.

Why *would* you?
Why indeed. Though, you know, its Google, so they're probably hoping to arrange all the ducks such that one day its our only option. Still, we can hope it joins their other failed experiments. I certainly won't be entertaining it unless it becomes the only available avenue for games!

CuriousIdent

Why indeed. Though, you know, its Google, so they're probably hoping to arrange all the ducks such that one day its our only option. Still, we can hope it joins their other failed experiments. I certainly won't be entertaining it unless it becomes the only available avenue for games!

You've got to admit the end service is likely to be something else. Playing titles on computer specs far beyond what most people could afford. But the world isn't set up for the cost of streaming in my opinion. We're talking about burning through terabytes of data for a single session in terms of usage. People not on unlimited broadband deals will hit their quota very quickly. It'd test a fair few Fair Usage Policies too.

May this go the way of Google+, Google Wave, Dodgeball.com and Google Video.

brownmane

Abominable Snowman
I've got bad news for you - the computer games buying consumer has never owned any of the games they paid for - even in the days before digital download services (Steam, et al), we only ever bought a license to use that software. True, in the days of cassettes. disks and CD's revoking that license was near impossible (not many publishers have a goon squad to send 'round to take it off us!), but still, those where, and still are, the terms we agreed to at point of sale.

It looks like their monthly fee would basically be for storing the games, if you still pay full price. Google is not one of the game developers and is not adding any value.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
What!?! Is someone saying when I buy a book, it’s just a subscription and I have to rent it forever until I find out what happened to Mr. Rochester’s mad wife?

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
I won't be paying a subscription to play games. That's me out of the game.
Games as a service is something Microsoft or was it ea have been trying push as some thing that people want but some people can see it for what it really is giving big corporations control over how media is excest.

Last edited:

CuriousIdent

What!?! Is someone saying when I buy a book, it’s just a subscription and I have to rent it forever until I find out what happened to Mr. Rochester’s mad wife?
On Kindle, that's technically true. Amazon do have the power to remove a title from your library if they wish. To update the edition too.

Last edited:

CuriousIdent

Games as a service is something Microsoft or was it ea have been trying push as some thing that people want but some people can see it for what it really is giving big corporations control over how media is excest.
To a degree, yes.

But that's not what the phrase 'Games as Service' really means. It's a term to describe any product which is updated periodically (even dramatically reshaped or redesigned) over time.

World of Warcraft is game as service. Destiny is game as service. They're online products with timed events happening across a calendar year, and while they have a certain amount of core content which will always stay in the game other parts will be altered, appear or disappear, due to ongoing changes in its world and its story over many years.

When it's done well it actually can be something both engaging and good. It's where it's a token gesture, or misguided design choice, where it becomes a problem.

Last edited:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Just picked up Bioshock again on Steam as I lost my last copy when Directtodrive.com went belly up.

Found there's a remastered version, tried it out, looks bloody brilliant but the sound is totally buggered up which makes it unplayable.

Went back to the original... forgot how much fun this game is. Pity none of the sequels every really nailed it again.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Just picked up Bioshock again on Steam as I lost my last copy when Directtodrive.com went belly up.

Found there's a remastered version, tried it out, looks bloody brilliant but the sound is totally buggered up which makes it unplayable.

Went back to the original... forgot how much fun this game is. Pity none of the sequels every really nailed it again.
Completed it on Xbox 1 a couple of months ago. Was great while it lasted - loved the soundtrack and the Atlas Shrugged references, but over far too soon. 12-14 hours gameplay and It wasn't a game I fancied revisiting.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I'm a bit of a computer game newbie but I've played this one. Was OK but wouldn't want to play it again.

I've just finished Portal 2. Not recent or cutting edge, no shooting people or fighting, but a series of puzzles to solve. I liked it.

CuriousIdent

I was pretty impressed by the the remaster on Xbox One. The second game still feels very shallow compared to the first. But then it always kinda was.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Just completed the mission in RDD2 where you have to chase after Jamie, who's on a lightning fast horse.
Took me 7 or 8 attempts. Very frustrating!
It was only when I figured you have to cut corners and not stick to the path than I managed to catch and disarm him.
Off to reclaim some debts for Leopold Strauss next (who strikes me as something of a Fagin-like caricature, Oy vey!).

RyoHazuki

Ephemeral Spectre
I've lost a year and a half of my life to a mud...
It has been a very strange experience.
Which one? I got fairly stuck into Aardwolf a couple of times, but didn't stay with it long enough to get properly good. Achaea was quite nice too.

CuriousIdent

Bioshock 2 was good fun but didn't have enough new stuff.
For me Bioshock 2 felt like trying to reproduce the original on a far lesser budget. It wasn't bad or anything, just a lesser game. Bioshock Lite, if you will.

Infinite bugs the heck out of me.
Managed to miss Infinite the first time around. I have the collection on my deck at home. Not got around to booting this one yet, sadly.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I think the update had less of Fink’s tunes... possibly due to a copyright issue where the usages ran out. I can’t give away more as it spoils the Easter Egginess of that particular pudding.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Just completed the mission in RDD2 where you have to chase after Jamie, who's on a lightning fast horse.
Took me 7 or 8 attempts. Very frustrating!
It was only when I figured you have to cut corners and not stick to the path than I managed to catch and disarm him.
Off to reclaim some debts for Leopold Strauss next (who strikes me as something of a Fagin-like caricature, Oy vey!).
Yeah. I had the same thing. Have they fixed the quick draw mechanic yet? I didn’t master that through the whole game.

Oh yeah. The debts. I’m saying nothing.

Last edited:

Newt

Devoted Cultist
Which one? I got fairly stuck into Aardwolf a couple of times, but didn't stay with it long enough to get properly good. Achaea was quite nice too.
Coffeemud
Coffeemud.net : 2323
It's fun.

I tried aardwolf, but couldn't get into it.