Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Recently treated myself to a high-spec gaming laptop and have been struggling to transfer my MS FSX over from my old PC. Several posts in flight sim forums from gamers finding this nigh-on impossible and reporting that FSX doesn't run well in Windows 10 anyway. So I guess my 1,000s of hours of logged flights, including a recorded round-the-world trip in a replica of Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra, not to mention all my add-on photo-realistic scenery and airports are lost :(

But .... I was delighted to see that MS will be releasing the next gen FS in 2020 and, judging from this trailer, it will be phenomenal:

https://onemileatatime.com/microsoft-flight-simulator/

In the meantime, any recommendations for must-have recent Windows 10 games of any genre?

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
Has anyone checked the trailer for Death Stranding, a new game from Hideo Kojima, guy behind Metal Gear franchise.

Please check it out - and let me know wtf is going on here!?!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Recently treated myself to a high-spec gaming laptop and have been struggling to transfer my MS FSX over from my old PC. Several posts in flight sim forums from gamers finding this nigh-on impossible and reporting that FSX doesn't run well in Windows 10 anyway. So I guess my 1,000s of hours of logged flights, including a recorded round-the-world trip in a replica of Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra, not to mention all my add-on photo-realistic scenery and airports are lost :(

But .... I was delighted to see that MS will be releasing the next gen FS in 2020 and, judging from this trailer, it will be phenomenal:

https://onemileatatime.com/microsoft-flight-simulator/

In the meantime, any recommendations for must-have recent Windows 10 games of any genre?
If you'll pardon the narcissism inherent in replying to one's own posts, I note that El Reg is recommending the Lovecraftian dungeon crawl "Darkest Dungeon" .
With the Windows Steam version costing just £7 I can't resist.
Looking forward to having my sanity challenged and to grappling with some seriously nightmarish monsters!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2019/07/26/darkest_dungeon/

Last edited:

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
Netflix Witcher Trailer

Will this be the next GoT-type must see?

Uncertain. Netflix' series is actually based on the novels and not the game. There are differences between the two.

The books are enjoyable, but very different from the vibe of GoT. Witcher stories usually combine detective story elements with more traditional mercenary work tales. It's full of random encounters with people who Geralt has met in the past. There are spy networks and politics, but the world is more a series of individual kingdoms than an overall 7 Kingdoms type set up.

Well, until the Nilfgaardians start trying to invade everything.

There is an overall prophesy in play but for the most part it's still the story of a lone mercenary moving from place to place, solving a local area's monster problems and those of the people he meets while he does.

Last edited:

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
In the numerous tributes to Rutger Hauer today, this game was mentioned as very good:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/514900/observer/

Has anybody played it?

I have not, sadly. I do however remember the artwork from the time.

Anecdotally, I did once work on a videogame which Rutger Hauer was lending voice work to (along with several other relatively high profile names) but which never got to see the light of day.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I remember when me and James Dent played 'The Hobbit' on the ZX81 and out of frustration typed "FUCK OFF GANDALF" .. and the game crashed .. here's some more early 80's examples of this mostly forgotten gamer phenomena ..

https://www.monkeon.co.uk/swearadve..._Yy87r5lQ7tFKyvz3XYInqAYUG27rPmB5LEZ02UP8b_NU
The Very Big Cave Adventure was the best one I remember (you are sent to the swear box and must "WASH MOUTH" out with the soap provided). Judging by that sample, most of the time the games tell you not to be disgusting.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The Very Big Cave Adventure was the best one I remember (you are sent to the swear box and must "WASH MOUTH" out with the soap provided). Judging by that sample, most of the time the games tell you not to be disgusting.
James Dent's dad was briefly famous in computer programing. He was also a doctor and invented what was called at the time the world's first home medical diagnosis programme for the Sinclair Spectrum .. me and James were interviewed by Sinclair User magazine when a journalist turned up at his home to do the 'it's so easy that kids can use it' angle .. the journalist mentioned that we were giggling at the flatulence part of the questioning from memory .. the front cover of the magazine that month was a picture of his baby sister Sophie sat in a high chair with a Spectrum 48k in front of her .. I later called him James 'Bent' to wind him up, he chased me on our bikes all the way to my parent's garage. I was cornered but my Mum shouted at him from a window so I didn't get thumped.

brownmane

off kilter
James Dent's dad was briefly famous in computer programing. He was also a doctor and invented what was called at the time the world's first home medical diagnosis programme for the Sinclair Spectrum .. me and James were interviewed by Sinclair User magazine when a journalist turned up at his home to do the 'it's so easy that kids can use it' angle .. the journalist mentioned that we were giggling at the flatulence part of the questioning from memory .. the front cover of the magazine that month was a picture of his baby sister Sophie sat in a high chair with a Spectrum 48k in front of her .. I later called him James 'Bent' to wind him up, he chased me on our bikes all the way to my parent's garage. I was cornered but my Mum shouted at him from a window so I didn't get thumped.
Mums are good that way.:boxing:

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Still doing Elite Dangerous. The original with the flickery vector graphics was Theatre of the Mind. This is full-on.
A dry game for serious sim lovers but hugely rewarding and probably the game that’ll last you for a good few years.

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
No Man's Sky: Beyond has landed and the enhancements are mind boggling. All the reviewers are saying that this should be called No Man's Sky 2

According to GamesRadar:

• Inventory slot capacity has increased from 250 to 1000
  • Starship cockpits have been entirely remodeled
  • Learning an alien language has been overhauled, letting players choose what word categories to learn
  • Completely reworked Base Building Menu with better visual clarity and usability
  • Faster and more convenient building thanks to adjustments to the base part snapping system
  • Players can now create Phish-quality light and sound displays with teleporters and sphere generators
  • Bases can now be powered by solar energy or fueled biogenerators
  • Technology can be moved after it's installed
  • Better UI for comparing and purchasing ships
  • Revamped Analysis Visor, allowing players to push a button to scan flora and fauna as opposed to automatic scanning
  • Butterflies are easier to scan now, guys
  • Missions now supply hints by indicating the mission relevant items in both the build and crafting menus
  • Harvest milk, eggs, or "edible clusters" (yuck) from animals that you tame
  • Use those harvested food items to create more than 300 recipes, which can be consumed to boost your Exosuit or brought to the Space Anomaly hub and presented for critique like space Hell's Kitchen
  • Completely overhauled Galaxy Map for better clarity and cleaner visual style
and...... ride-able aliens!!!! including giant cobras...

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Still doing Elite Dangerous. The original with the flickery vector graphics was Theatre of the Mind. This is full-on.
A dry game for serious sim lovers but hugely rewarding and probably the game that’ll last you for a good few years.
Me too. ED remains my go-to game to kill the odd hour or so.
Been tempted to try No Mans Sky, but fear it would be too similar but not as satisfying.

Just had another session on Darkest Dungeon this morning - all 4 of my team got killed in the final room of that dungeon level. With permadeath, that's a huge setback and I'm going to give DD a rest for a while now.

Can anyone recommend a recent PC or Xbox One dungeon crawl?

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Me too. ED remains my go-to game to kill the odd hour or so.
Been tempted to try No Mans Sky, but fear it would be too similar but not as satisfying.

Just had another session on Darkest Dungeon this morning - all 4 of my team got killed in the final room of that dungeon level. With permadeath, that's a huge setback and I'm going to give DD a rest for a while now.

Can anyone recommend a recent PC or Xbox One dungeon crawl?
Have you tried Legend of Grimrock? It's a modern version of the old Dungeon Master

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Incidentally, I visited my sister yesterday and her partner was keen to show off his new Oculus Rift headset.
So, instead of catching up on the family news, spent around an hour blasting some real in-your-face zombies and then taking part in a boxing match.
The latter needs to be played with plenty of space around you as, when your opponent swings a massive haymaker at you, it's hard not to instinctively take a step back in the real world - and collide with some furniture. My sister only just stopped me stepping into her fireplace.
Was fun for a short session, but started feeling slightly sick and migrainey towards the end.
Until we have the technology to create Star Trek style holodecks though, this is probably as good as VR can get.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Have you tried Legend of Grimrock? It's a modern version of the old Dungeon Master
Thanks again for the tip.
Treated myself to Legend of Grimrock 2 on Steam and it's exactly what I was looking for - a challenging dungeon crawl, without being nigh-on impossible to progress like Darkest Dungeon!

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
Let's see, this could also go in WTF, but since there's a computer games thread.... It's a game based on Pride Parades.
:fetish:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/848330/Pride_Run/

Pride Run is a celebration of Pride events around the world and all things LGBTQ+. Dance your way through the streets of the most iconic cities around the globe in this uniquely awesome RTS - Rhythm Action game. The better you dance, the more people you attract to your parade.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Remember Horace from Horace Goes Skiing? Hungry Horace? Horace and the Spiders? No? I'm not surprised, but he's at the centre of a copyright row and it's all got very nasty:
Bad news for innocent fun

Maybe this should be on the YouTube thread too, but it just goes to show monetising videos can bring up all sorts of claims unless you're legally nailed down and watertight. Also, YT really needs to look at itself and its rules.