Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Remember Horace from Horace Goes Skiing? Hungry Horace? Horace and the Spiders? No? I'm not surprised, but he's at the centre of a copyright row and it's all got very nasty:
Bad news for innocent fun

Maybe this should be on the YouTube thread too, but it just goes to show monetising videos can bring up all sorts of claims unless you're legally nailed down and watertight. Also, YT really needs to look at itself and its rules.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Remember Horace from Horace Goes Skiing? Hungry Horace? Horace and the Spiders? No? I'm not surprised, but he's at the centre of a copyright row and it's all got very nasty:

Maybe this should be on the YouTube thread too, but it just goes to show monetising videos can bring up all sorts of claims unless you're legally nailed down and watertight. Also, YT really needs to look at itself and its rules.
This tang guy is acting lot like an ip troll.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
This tang guy is acting lot like an ip troll.
It's not the Tang guy, he created Horace but has nothing to do with him now. It's this new, British guy who claims to have bought the rights to Horace who is causing the trouble.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

I remember Horace Goes Skiing back when his cassette tape was given away free if you bought a Sinclair Spectrum .. he needs to remember his place in gaming history! .. old school or not ..

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I remember Horace Goes Skiing back when his cassette tape was given away free if you bought a Sinclair Spectrum .. he needs to remember his place in gaming history! .. old school or not ..
Big takeaway from that article (apart from some folks will try and make a profit from anything, scruples or not): that wasn't an arm on Horace's side, it was his hair! Which means he didn't have any arms! No wonder he kept falling over while skiing.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Big takeaway from that article (apart from some folks will try and make a profit from anything, scruples or not): that wasn't an arm on Horace's side, it was his hair! Which means he didn't have any arms! No wonder he kept falling over while skiing.
I did not know that .. thank you.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Currently swinging my way through the pretty damn good Spider-Man on PS4.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's not the Tang guy, he created Horace but has nothing to do with him now. It's this new, British guy who claims to have bought the rights to Horace who is causing the trouble.
Ah my mistake.

caspergriswoldbacon

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

No surprise its the guy behind the zx-vega causing the problem. Basically ripped off thousands of people via Kickstarter with a shoddy product that didn't work. If you search vega scam on youtube there's loads of videos going down the vast rabbit hole about their dodgy financial shenaginans and the various unsavoury characters involved. Very interesting story if you've got an hour or two to spare.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm aware of this guy's dodgy practices. Trouble is, he has a troll army backing him up.

caspergriswoldbacon

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm aware of this guy's dodgy practices. Trouble is, he has a troll army backing him up.
Probably him and his mates. Same thing happened with the vega fallout from memory. i presume he bought all these licences when he realised the authors of spectrum software weren't going to let him stick their games on the vega for free and wants to recoup some dough. Thing is, its virtually worthless. no-one cares enough about horace to spend any money on it but some of these idiots think owning the rights is the eqavilent of owning the back catalogue of a popular 80's group or the commercial rights to a tv show. If it was, the bigboys would have moved in 20 years ago.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Probably him and his mates. Same thing happened with the vega fallout from memory. i presume he bought all these licences when he realised the authors of spectrum software weren't going to let him stick their games on the vega for free and wants to recoup some dough. Thing is, its virtually worthless. no-one cares enough about horace to spend any money on it but some of these idiots think owning the rights is the eqavilent of owning the back catalogue of a popular 80's group or the commercial rights to a tv show. If it was, the bigboys would have moved in 20 years ago.
I don't mind them making bad investments, I do mind them throwing their weight around in a desperate attempt to profit from those investments. Especially when it turns into victimisation campaigns on people just wanting to be daft.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I bought "Kingdom come :deliverance" on the steam sale, it's an open world rpg, set in medieval central Europe, so far I have just wandered around a beautifully realised village and escaped from that village while being pursued by horse archers (really difficult, escaping from horse archers is not as easy as it was when I wasn't almost 50)

So far I am very impressed, I expect this will keep me entertained for quite a while.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've thoroughly enjoyed Legend of Grimrock 2 - up to the point of the final showdown, which is just horrible. A locked-in arena, with hordes of ridiculously strong enemies and a seemingly indestructible boss. After perhaps a dozen attempts, the best I've managed is to get him down to around 33% life left, before I am killed.
My team are all level 17, so to level them up further at 100,000 points per level, would take me weeks of tedious grind.
Am regretting going with the default team from the start and not selecting 2 or 3 mages.
The game has just become a vexation now and I may have to leave it unfinished.
Anyone else think of some mostly great games tarnished by a lousy finale?

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Anyone else think of some mostly great games tarnished by a lousy finale?[/QUOTE]

no worries BMC - I have left many games before a final showdown because it is just too much... I mean, playing the whole game until the finale is good enough so just let it be and look for final video on YT. It worked for me on many occassions

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I've thoroughly enjoyed Legend of Grimrock 2 - up to the point of the final showdown, which is just horrible. A locked-in arena, with hordes of ridiculously strong enemies and a seemingly indestructible boss. After perhaps a dozen attempts, the best I've managed is to get him down to around 33% life left, before I am killed.
My team are all level 17, so to level them up further at 100,000 points per level, would take me weeks of tedious grind.
Am regretting going with the default team from the start and not selecting 2 or 3 mages.
Killzone 2
Mass Effect 3
Arkham Asylum

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
I'm with Carlos here - Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect 3. I could never master the driving round trying to attach a bomb to an alien in Half-Life 2.
I tend to avoid games with any End-Of-Level/Game Bosses - as you say if you don't have the right team/specs you're knackered.
I Find most EOLBs are just a tedious grind and ruin the game for me.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm with Carlos here - Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect 3. I could never master the driving round trying to attach a bomb to an alien in Half-Life 2.
I tend to avoid games with any End-Of-Level/Game Bosses - as you say if you don't have the right team/specs you're knackered.
I Find most EOLBs are just a tedious grind and ruin the game for me.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - it was great until I got to a particular boss fight. I couldn't win whatever I tried. The key was something I'd done earlier in the game. Spoiled it for me completely.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - it was great until I got to a particular boss fight. I couldn't win whatever I tried. The key was something I'd done earlier in the game. Spoiled it for me completely.
Yes that happened to me, I think it was the first boss? I'd built my character for stealth, and I needed violence for that fight. The same thing happened in one of the Far Cry games, 4 I think.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Yes that happened to me, I think it was the first boss? I'd built my character for stealth, and I needed violence for that fight. The same thing happened in one of the Far Cry games, 4 I think.
I seem to recall that earlier in the game, I'd received a 'chip upgrade' for my cyber implants - and in the boss fight, the enemy used that to hack my circuits and turn off all my superpowers. Unfair!

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed and is now being released in September 17 this year.
I'd rather wait and get it in a decent, polished form than have massive day-one patches to install - they take ages on PS4, even on the Pro with a superfast fibre connection. I'll just have to carry on wading through my massive backlog!

Has anyone played Star Trek Online? I'm toying with the idea of giving it a go, it's completely free so I'm not worried about wasting money - but so many games, so little time....

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
Has anyone played Star Trek Online? I'm toying with the idea of giving it a go, it's completely free so I'm not worried about wasting money - but so many games, so little time....
I played STO a few years ago - it was quite fun but got rather boring after a few months. I soon ran out of things to do in F2P and gave up on it - it felt like a waste of the time I'd invested in it.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I played STO a few years ago - it was quite fun but got rather boring after a few months. I soon ran out of things to do in F2P and gave up on it - it felt like a waste of the time I'd invested in it.
That's what I needed to know, cheers.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Currently having a huge amount of fun playing kingdom come: deliverance, last night I sabotaged a triple execution , not to help the victims escape, but in order they should suffer more, or die too quickly.
received_2377859398986973.jpeg

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Just started playing Outer Worlds for PS4. Think I'm going to have many hours of play. I spent almost 20 minutes customizing my character's physical features. You can pick skin colour, aging, eye colour and spacing - many features to choose from and customize. Start the game and, oh yeah it's first person RPG. I can't even see myself lol. I have only ever played one other first person game. Forgot that you don't see your character. Hahaha think I'm going to enjoy it

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Just started playing Outer Worlds for PS4. Think I'm going to have many hours of play. I spent almost 20 minutes customizing my character's physical features. You can pick skin colour, aging, eye colour and spacing - many features to choose from and customize. Start the game and, oh yeah it's first person RPG. I can't even see myself lol. I have only ever played one other first person game. Forgot that you don't see your character. Hahaha think I'm going to enjoy it
There might be a way that you can toggle into 3rd person mode to see your character.