Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Having a jolly old time playing the PS4 reboot of Ratchet & Clank. Not my usual type of fare but this is a silly, colourful sci-fi shooter with some genuine laugh out loud moments. It looks gorgeous in HDR too.

And a very sensible 10-12 hours long so it's a nice palate cleanser before I lose my life to Red Dead Redemption 2.
Oh you’re going to love Red Dead.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I'm playing it this very minute. Am currently in the Teppaniach system and recently refitted my Fer-de-Lance for bounty hunting.
Looking forward to zapping some bad guys this afternoon!
In my Anaconda ‘Scorpio’ ( Blakes 7 reference there) engineering the beam lasers and adding another kitchen sink at Muang. Looking through the crew roster at a nearby station, one of the candidates says she saw some weird stuff out at Merope. So I may go there next. 10 jumps - shouldn’t take that long.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
In my Anaconda ‘Scorpio’ ( Blakes 7 reference there) engineering the beam lasers and adding another kitchen sink at Muang. Looking through the crew roster at a nearby station, one of the candidates says she saw some weird stuff out at Merope. So I may go there next. 10 jumps - shouldn’t take that long.
*spends weeks getting there*

*discovers skateboarding parrot or dog that can say "Sausages"*

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Turns out it’s quite ‘interesting‘ out here. Just took out 2 alien ships and discovered some new materials.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The system is mobbed with Thargoid scout ships. Wasn’t ready for the Caustic missiles that rot your ship but made it to the starport. Just been scanning barnacles.
Are you on PC or Xbox? I'm just wandering aimlessly at present collecting bounties. If we're on a compatible platform, I may head in your direction to get some alien action.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Are you on PC or Xbox? I'm just wandering aimlessly at present collecting bounties. If we're on a compatible platform, I may head in your direction to get some alien action.
I’m on PS4 but I don’t do multiplayer. Have you engineered your Friendship Drive for long distances? That opens things up a bit. I’ve been playing Elite for ages but I just feel discovering this new area around Merope takes the game up to level 3.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I’m on PS4 but I don’t do multiplayer. Have you engineered your Friendship Drive for long distances? That opens things up a bit. I’ve been playing Elite for ages but I just feel discovering this new area around Merope takes the game up to level 3.
Ah OK.
I've been playing on Xbox sporadically for around 3 years. I know the PS4 platform came some time later and isn't synchronised with the others, so what you've encountered won't necessarily be the same as I would find if I visited the same system.
I've focused mostly on big lasers and heavy hull plating, so my ship's Frameshift drive is limited to something like 13 light years. Will check out Merope though.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Ah. My Anaconda is engineered for about 40 LY jumps. I believe you probably need to visit Deciat and Farseer. You should have an invite.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ah. My Anaconda is engineered for about 40 LY jumps. I believe you probably need to visit Deciat and Farseer. You should have an invite.
I've been to see Farseer - that's the Elvira woman with the really butch voice! Got one upgrade from her, but I'm not so fussed about frameshift range as beefing up my ship's kick arse capabilities.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I've been to see Farseer - that's the Elvira woman with the really butch voice! Got one upgrade from her, but I'm not so fussed about frameshift range as beefing up my ship's kick arse capabilities.
But cutting your travel time by over half between engineers spread all over the bubble surely gets you upgrading lasers and cannons and turning your ship into a kickass quicker? And if you pin the FSD blueprint you can upgrade other ships without going back there.

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Ah I wish I could follow you guys.... sadly, I am hopelessly stuck with the original playing on my ZX emulator...

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I started on red dead redemption 2, not impressed, the shoot outs are good, everything else is boring.

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
I started on red dead redemption 2, not impressed, the shoot outs are good, everything else is boring.
Yeah, I got very bored very quickly. Unless you like horse riding simulators I'd give this a miss. I can't understand the hype.

I'm enjoying Firestorm mode on Battlefield 5 at the moment. It's so exciting yet frustrating at the same time.

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting RD2, and the more I hear, the more I'm tempted; I'm always on the lookout for decent horse games!

I'm spending a lot of time on Star Stable online at the moment; I'm normally a World of Warcraft player, but the incessant "kill five (or ten, or fifteen) wild animals has started to grate on me recently, I needed something kinder :)

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting RD2, and the more I hear, the more I'm tempted; I'm always on the lookout for decent horse games!

I'm spending a lot of time on Star Stable online at the moment; I'm normally a World of Warcraft player, but the incessant "kill five (or ten, or fifteen) wild animals has started to grate on me recently, I needed something kinder :)
There’s a lot of challenges involving animal killing and skinning in RD2. Probably not for you.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Ah OK.
I've been playing on Xbox sporadically for around 3 years. I know the PS4 platform came some time later and isn't synchronised with the others, so what you've encountered won't necessarily be the same as I would find if I visited the same system.
I've focused mostly on big lasers and heavy hull plating, so my ship's Frameshift drive is limited to something like 13 light years. Will check out Merope though.
I forgot to mention I also visited my first Black Hole in Maia. Which is just next door to Merope.

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
There’s a lot of challenges involving animal killing and skinning in RD2. Probably not for you.
Good point!

But I go on and off these things; some days I'm like "oh, it's just pixels, and they'll pop back up in a couple of minutes", and I've skinned and butchered animals irl, so I'll think about it again when I'm feeling a bit stronger, mentally :)

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I’m replaying Dishonoured after finishing it 3 years ago. Forgot how crap I am. I get killed every two minutes of play if I’m lucky. I’m crap in a lot of my games. It takes me forever to get upgrades and to figure out the rules of playing the game.:fence:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I’m replaying Dishonoured after finishing it 3 years ago. Forgot how crap I am. I get killed every two minutes of play if I’m lucky. I’m crap in a lot of my games. It takes me forever to get upgrades and to figure out the rules of playing the game.:fence:
I tried that last year & abandoned it pretty quickly. The weapons are shit - I think it's all about sneaking around, avoiding being detected. I quite liked the 'zoom' effect where you can transport yourself a distance without walking but found that if you're detected, you're surrounded & dead in short order. I think that was on the 'easy' setting as well.

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I am still playing it! I must have been doing that for a couple of years now. There is so much to do in that game.
Yep, I see that there is an awful lot to do, even early on.

Love the idea of "workstations" - took me a while to get a hand on it but now I am scrapping like a madman :)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Yep, I see that there is an awful lot to do, even early on.

Love the idea of "workstations" - took me a while to get a hand on it but now I am scrapping like a madman :)
Sometimes, the scrapping, collecting stuff and settlement building takes over from the story or the fighting.