Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
You might want to hold off on that purchase.
They're recalling it from the shops and offering full refunds to all who have already bought it, due to serious technical issues.
Initial reviews are still reasonable at 7/10, but it's clearly still a work in progress and I'd wait until the revamped version is released around February or March 2021.

Also disappointing to read that elements of the game were re-written to remove references to Taiwan, in order to appease the Chinese regime.
Someone, somewhere said ‘This has to be out for Christmas.’ I wonder how many will revisit this. It’s a really bad for everyone who’s put their heart and soul into this game.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Someone, somewhere said ‘This has to be out for Christmas.’ I wonder how many will revisit this. It’s a really bad for everyone who’s put their heart and soul into this game.

Indeed. I heard that the Projekt Red development team were working ridiculously long days all year to get the thing out and were on a bonus only if the Metacritic review rating exceeded 90%. Because the product was rushed out, with bugs ruining some side quests and the end-game, Metacritic awarded it a still generous 87%, but other reviewers have been far less generous.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Indeed. I heard that the Projekt Red development team were working ridiculously long days all year to get the thing out and were on a bonus only if the Metacritic review rating exceeded 90%. Because the product was rushed out, with bugs ruining some side quests and the end-game, Metacritic awarded it a still generous 87%, but other reviewers have been far less generous.
It's very hard on development teams like that. I've worked with a few ex-game programmers and they said they'd never go back to it. Too pressured.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Blame the share holders they set the unrealistic deadlines for this game and the shareholders don't give shit about the game just about getting there money from their investment as soon as possible and the only reason Sony pulled the game from the ps store is so they don't have to give out refunds.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
...the only reason Sony pulled the game from the ps store is so they don't have to give out refunds.

Wrong.

Cyberpunk 2077 Refunds
SIE strives to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction, therefore we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store. SIE will also be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PlayStation Store until further notice.

Once we have confirmed that you purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store, we will begin processing your refund. Please note that completion of the refund may vary based on your payment method and financial institution.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/cyberpunk-2077-refunds/

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Bought this as a reward for the insane hours I'm working over Christmas.

Death Stranding - blimey, still in the prologue, crazy but beautiful.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Bowling around ancient Greece in AC Odyssey.

Not seeing any massive changes from Origins yet, but I loved that so no complaints from me.

OrsonSwells

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Wrong.

Cyberpunk 2077 Refunds
SIE strives to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction, therefore we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store. SIE will also be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PlayStation Store until further notice.

Once we have confirmed that you purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store, we will begin processing your refund. Please note that completion of the refund may vary based on your payment method and financial institution.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/cyberpunk-2077-refunds/

I've gone for the refund on mine. The bugs weren't too bad for me as the updates must have fixed a fair few of them. I just found the game a bit too linear and got bored by sitting through all the interminable conversations. It looked great at times though.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Is anyone enjoying ps5 yet? I am planning it for my 48th b-day in May '21, if I manage to....

Yes yes and thrice yes!

When you pick one up, whatever you do don't skip Astro's Playroom.

The game is installed on all PS5s, as first glance it looks like a kids' game but it's actually a charming adventure that stealthily runs you through all the new features of the console and controller, and manages to be a glorious love letter to PlayStation's history. It's a nostalgia kick you didn't know you needed.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Still working at killing the first enki in Nioh 2. I'm guessing somewhere between 10-20 hours of play! I did look at a walkthrough after about the first 5 hours and found that I chose the wrong yokai spirit for a newbie to the game. It does not clearly tell you that you are stuck with only one. At the beginning, you can lovingly design 3 different yokai and practise using them, but once you go out into real world, you are stuck with one. Apparently I should have chosen the brute force one.:oops:

The only way I can change it is to start a new game. F that. I think I'm getting close to the big kill - maybe within another 5 hours.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Breaking story from BBC News...!!!

KFC launches game console with built-in chicken warmer

Fast food chain KFC is launching a gaming console that warms up chicken.

"The chicken chamber will keep its contents hot, ready for consumption during intense gaming sessions," KFC said.

The company said the console was designed by a global hardware maker and could play top-level games like other gaming machines.

Many people thought the gaming console was a spoof marketing campaign when it was revealed in June.

KFC said its new console had a custom-built cooling system that uses heat produced by its components to warm the chicken chamber.

"This machine is capable of running games at top-level specs, all on top of keeping your meal warm for you to enjoy during your gaming experience... what's not to like?" KFC spokesman Mark Cheevers told the BBC.

"If Sony or Microsoft want any tips on how to engineer a chicken chamber for their efforts next time, they'd be welcome to get in touch."

[...]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55433318

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
KFC launches game console with built-in chicken warmer
It occurred that early gaming was the root of my genesis as a 'foodie'.

Back in the day, cousin Rob and myself, in our early 20s, would have a Tuesday night game session every week, during which we would pause for a snack of toasted cheese.

One night, I added a selection of Schwartz spices as an experiment - BBQ, Mexican, Chinese, etc.

It was a revelation and changed my perception of taste forever.

This led to further discoveries, such as there being other cheeses besides cheddar!

Varieties infused with peppers or Mexican chillis became our favourite for toasted cheese.

I was wondering if anyone else had a retro favourite snack, which frequently accompanied gaming!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
....and it was based on Gaia theory by the chemist James Lovelock
Thank you for the assistance - equally so
@blessmycottonsocks and @mikfez.

It is indeed SimEarth I recalled and note it still can be downloaded.

Simply wouldn't have the time though, as it is a particularly involved game to really get into.

Thinking about this, what were the games which I truly spent time trying to master, despite being fiendishly difficult.

Manic Miner - the greatest computer game of all time - stands alone in that respect.

Next would be Underwurlde, by Ultimate Play the Game - a groundbreaking action adventure game and hellishly difficult.

I was consequently looking there for the C64 version I might try once again - on my Android mobile.

However, no joy so far and if by chance anyone could possibly please assist - presuming it is available?

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
Thank you for the assistance - equally so
@blessmycottonsocks and @mikfez.

It is indeed SimEarth I recalled and note it still can be downloaded.

Simply wouldn't have the time though, as it is a particularly involved game to really get into.

Thinking about this, what were the games which I truly spent time trying to master, despite being fiendishly difficult.

Manic Miner - the greatest computer game of all time - stands alone in that respect.

Next would be Underwurlde, by Ultimate Play the Game - a groundbreaking action adventure game and hellishly difficult.

I was consequently looking there for the C64 version I might try once again - on my Android mobile.

However, no joy so far and if by chance anyone could possibly please assist - presuming it is available?

Try this > ftp://8bitfiles.net/gamebase_64/Games/u/UNDERWUR_08314_01.zip
Then all you need is a C64 emulator - for PC > https://www.c64forever.com/games/ or for Android > https://c64emu.com/
Cloanto also do an excellent Amiga emulator

MercuryCrest

The Severed Head of a Great Old One.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else had a retro favourite snack, which frequently accompanied gaming!

To be honest, one of those "snack packs" of Cheetos (eaten with chopsticks to avoid getting the powder all over the keyboard/mouse) and Diablo 2.

Edit: There were several of us all playing the same game on a roommate's computer. We kept a log where we indicated how far we'd gotten, what artifacts we'd collected, etc.... Loads of fun and eating the same little snack pack of Cheetos still brings back the memories.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
OMG I finally killed Enki that I've been trying to get past since I bought Nioh 2 at the beginning of December. About 5 hours of play since I last posted that I thought that it would take me 5 more hours of play. I don't even think that he's a boss fight, so...happy new year. I might still be playing this next December lol.

edit: and it's an hour later and I pushed something that restarted the mission. I'm still on mission one:headbang::comphit:

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just completed Middle Earth: Shadow of War.

Feeling that sense of loss at the end of a truly epic game.
Bigger and better than Shadow of Mordor.
Think I picked up the Xbox version for around £6 in CEX earlier this year.
If you enjoy the whole LOTR mythos and like games that combine hack and slash with big-scale strategy, then I can thoroughly recommend this game.

Great theme tune too!

OrsonSwells

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Just had my Cyberpunk refund come through for £49.99 - which I think is what they call a result! Still have the game too.

I'm now pondering buying a Star Wars game - either Fallen Order or Battleground II which is very cheap...

Last edited:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Just had my Cyberpunk refund come through for £49.99 - which I think is what they call a result! Still have the game too.

I'm now pondering buying a Star Wars game - either Fallen Order or Battleground II which is very cheap...
I've played Fallen Order. It was not bad. My review doesn't mean much as I am not a Star Wars fan and just found it too much Star Wars. I bought it because I wanted a game to play and it was $20.00 at the time. For Star Wars fans, it's probably perfect, though if you are looking for a longer playing game, this one was fairly short, imo. And this is coming from someone who has just spent numerous hours playing and trying to get through the first mission of Nioh 2. I am crap at some games, Fallen Order was not greatly challenging if you want more of a challenge.

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
After 20+ hours of playing - I can highly recommend Phoenix Point.
It's a turn-based strategy in which you battle Cthulhu type monsters who are trying to take over the earth.
Similar to XCom but with more of an emphasis on the actual fighting - the biggest difference is the ability to take control of the weapon and target parts of the target's body.
Available on Steam and GOG (and Epic)

Phoenix Point Website Link

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
Phoenix Point > I forgot to add > Each bullet/projectile has its own ballistic trajectory calculated instead of the XCom RNG farce.