Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Well it is now almost the middle of February. I still haven't completed the first mission in Nioh 2. I am now on the boss fight and have been playing 2 1/2 hours. I have never played such a difficult game.

I also looked it up and there are 20 missions:rofl:

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
About 150 hours into Assassin‘s Creed: Origins now. I’m currently playing The Curse of the Pharaohs DLC which takes on a more supernatural element.

I just purchased Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey for a bargain price on eBay (Still in its shrink wrap). It’s supposed to be better than Origins with loads more DLC. Can’t wait.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
About 150 hours into Assassin‘s Creed: Origins now. I’m currently playing The Curse of the Pharaohs DLC which takes on a more supernatural element.

I just purchased Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey for a bargain price on eBay (Still in its shrink wrap). It’s supposed to be better than Origins with loads more DLC. Can’t wait.

I'm about 50 hours into Odyssey I think, I'm level 34 (original level cap was 50 but increased to 99 with DLC). I reckon I've only unfogged a quarter of the map, if that. It's a huge game, and loads of fun.

Sgt Girth

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Any truth in the rumour that the Mass Effect Legendary Edition is going to have less in the way of “gratuitous” female derrières on show? That almost makes me not want to buy it again!

Sgt Girth

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Bah! They just couldn’t keep their hands off Miranda’s ass!!

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
so.... not played Bloodborne or Dark Souls yet..?
Never. I've been warned. lol I don't want to cry. I looked at Bloodborne because the graphics look great, But the guys at my EBgames store warned me that if I fail the first time, it gets harder. And didn't I say in earlier posts that I'm crap at games? It takes me forever to figure out how some things work, especially when you can pick your weapons and armour with so many different stats and I haven't even gotten into crafting yet, which is apparently also in the game. Witcher has this, but was not near as difficult to learn.

And woohoo, I just killed the first boss after about 4-5 hours! I looked up a vid listing the difficulty of bosses from least to most and apparently the first boss is a medium. OMG! I might still be playing this 10 years from now.:rofl:

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Bah! They just couldn’t keep their hands off Miranda’s ass!!
its a remaster but changing the game over camera angles over some mild t&a or they dont wont backlach from the twiter mob.

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Completed Call of the Sea (PC Steam) on my lunchbreak just now.

Very picturesque game, with its Tomb Raiderish puzzles ranging from very simple to quite taxing, in the later stages.
Some mild horror themes - including a Lovecraftian transformation, but quite a restrained game overall and with a genuinely moving and thought-provoking finale.
Should take you something like 12 to 15 hours to reach the end (slightly annoyingly I'm on 97%, but haven't got the stamina or inclination to replay a level to find the secret object I missed).
If you already have Xbox Game Pass, then don't miss the free download of this charming little game.

sea.JPG

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
With the long awaited Elite Odyssey release approaching....

elite.JPG

.... here's a moderately mind-blowing fact about the basic Elite Dangerous game:

"As of March 2, 2018, Commanders (i.e. players) have discovered 112,863,791 individual star systems, which is only 0.028% of the systems in the galaxy. Over 20,262,978,541 light-years have been hyperspaced since Elite Dangerous was released. As of February 26, 2019, only 0.036% of the galaxy had been explored. "

Space IS big!

Aurora Newman

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Completed Call of the Sea (PC Steam) on my lunchbreak just now.

Very picturesque game, with its Tomb Raiderish puzzles ranging from very simple to quite taxing, in the later stages.
Some mild horror themes - including a Lovecraftian transformation, but quite a restrained game overall and with a genuinely moving and thought-provoking finale.
Should take you something like 12 to 15 hours to reach the end (slightly annoyingly I'm on 97%, but haven't got the stamina or inclination to replay a level to find the secret object I missed).
If you already have Xbox Game Pass, then don't miss the free download of this charming little game.

View attachment 35089
I know an archeologist who plays Tomb Raider whilst showing it on her YouTube channel

Aurora Newman

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
L

View attachment 35216

.... here's a moderately mind-blowing fact about the basic Elite Dangerous game:

"As of March 2, 2018, Commanders (i.e. players) have discovered 112,863,791 individual star systems, which is only 0.028% of the systems in the galaxy. Over 20,262,978,541 light-years have been hyperspaced since Elite Dangerous was released. As of February 26, 2019, only 0.036% of the galaxy had been explored. "

Space IS big!
Looks absolutely fantastic :)

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score

View attachment 35216

Space IS big!
I am one of those Commanders (Admiral actually) who have discovered something. I’m tempted to get back in Elite after the update. But.... I’ll need a PS5 as well as the means to transfer my account from me old PS4. Don’t want to lose all those ships and grind.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I’ve just completed the Far Harbour dlc for Fallout 4. I think that’s me just about done with it now. Can’t wait for the TV series.

And next up is the release of the new rpg Starfield. Information on this is a bit sparse.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Last week's update to MS FS2020 featured a scenery makeover for much of the UK.
Delightfully, this includes the UK's shortest scheduled flight from Westray to Papa Westray in the Orkneys.
At 1.7 miles as the crow flies, the distance between the two airfields is actually shorter than the runway of Edinburgh airport.
Around 2:30 minutes flight total time with only around one minute in the air.
With the Orkneys promising amazing archaeological sites and the Northern Lights making a frequent appearance, it's on my bucket list as a flight I must take some time (return ticket between £19 and £22).
Until I can do it in person, there is always this:

west1.JPG
west2.JPG
west3.JPG
west5.JPG
west4.JPG

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I am one of those Commanders (Admiral actually) who have discovered something. I’m tempted to get back in Elite after the update. But.... I’ll need a PS5 as well as the means to transfer my account from me old PS4. Don’t want to lose all those ships and grind.

I recently picked it up again, but am finding it a bit of a grind.
My combat level is only 7% into Expert, so reaching Elite is still a very long way off.
Been flying an engineered-out Fer de Lance for around 18 months.
Perhaps upgrading to a higher spec ship would rekindle my interest?
What ship have you found to be the most fun?

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I recently picked it up again, but am finding it a bit of a grind.
My combat level is only 7% into Expert, so reaching Elite is still a very long way off.
Been flying an engineered-out Fer de Lance for around 18 months.
Perhaps upgrading to a higher spec ship would rekindle my interest?
What ship have you found to be the most fun?

IT IS A GRIND.
I’ve just completed the latest community challenge taking brandy from Lave to a big banquet at Lutyen’s Star. Back and forth, back and forth. Yes, Elite is the grindiest game there is in the Universe and I am Deliveroo.
Having said that, I only paid £12 quid for it WITH the horizons DLC that lets you land and drive your little lander on the surface of planets. I’ve more than had my money’s worth. Though I’m still only Dangerous in combat but Elite in the other Two.

So what have I done? I’ve bought a lot of ships and engineered them. The FSD upgrade that Farseer offers is vital for getting around. Getting a permit for Shinrarta Dehzra gets you access to just about every ship and module in the game, so that’s a good base. I’ve gone off on excursions to the guardian sites, explored a bit of the lore discovering Jameson’s wreck. Taken some sweet pics of black holes, crashed alien ships, impressive landscapes and been interdicted by a bloody great big Thargoid ship a few times after shooting a few of the scout ships. Flown over my house in the Sol system.

Some of my favourite moments have come from deep core mining in planetary rings. I have a mining python kitted out for firing charges into asteroids and collecting LT Diamonds. With a full hold I hightail it to the nearest station and transfer the lot to another Python built like a tank and armed to the teeth so I don’t get blown to bits travelling to a station offering the highest price. Made a lot of money on void opals before they nerfed the payout.
Tip....Combine your play with Inara to find the best prices for goods.

I also have two Anacondas but I mostly sail around regally in my Federal Corvette which is named Scorpio (Blake’s 7 reference). But I like the Anaconda.

I haven’t gone that far from the bubble but there are commanders who have been playing it for years, self-sustained just out there exploring.

My advice would be to skip some of the smaller ships and save up for an Anaconda perhaps. Look at the Codex to see what others have discovered like barnacles or crystal fields in space. Try and find Voyager. It’s supposed to be out there.

Sometimes the grind is so much, it feels like another job. But then you discover something that’s yours. Once you leave the station for the first time, it’s your story. There’s no saves. You continue doing whatever you like doing so I suggest trying a few different things to mix it up. There’s a new patch coming up that gives you legs to walk around on the planets so that’ll be something new to try later. If it gets too much, switch to another game until the itch starts again.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Some pretty strange stuff is happening in Elite Dangerous. Reports are coming in of digital abduction and slavery.
The rumours are that a group sidle up to gullible noob players and promise them a better ship rigged out for mining. This they did and transported them by fleet carrier way out into the further reaches of space and ‘encouraged’ them to mine void opals for them. The problem was, the ships the miners kitted out as instructed crucially didn’t have the jump range to get back so essentially they were hostages - unless they decided to self-destruct* and respawn from scratch.
If the reports are true, some think this concept of a SpaceGulag is morally wrong, while others think it a brilliant player development of the game mechanics. Reassuringly, others like the Fuel Rats and the Hull Seals are kitting out their own fleet carriers to jump to the system and provide a means of escape for these unfortunate souls.

* Ah. So that’s why there’s a self-destruct button.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Some pretty strange stuff is happening in Elite Dangerous. Reports are coming in of digital abduction and slavery.
The rumours are that a group sidle up to gullible noob players and promise them a better ship rigged out for mining. This they did and transported them by fleet carrier way out into the further reaches of space and ‘encouraged’ them to mine void opals for them. The problem was, the ships the miners kitted out as instructed crucially didn’t have the jump range to get back so essentially they were hostages - unless they decided to self-destruct* and respawn from scratch.
If the reports are true, some think this concept of a SpaceGulag is morally wrong, while others think it a brilliant player development of the game mechanics. Reassuringly, others like the Fuel Rats and the Hull Seals are kitting out their own fleet carriers to jump to the system and provide a means of escape for these unfortunate souls.

* Ah. So that’s why there’s a self-destruct button.

DayZ has had the ability to handcuff and torture players for years.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
IT IS A GRIND.
I’ve just completed the latest community challenge taking brandy from Lave to a big banquet at Lutyen’s Star. Back and forth, back and forth. Yes, Elite is the grindiest game there is in the Universe and I am Deliveroo.
Having said that, I only paid £12 quid for it WITH the horizons DLC that lets you land and drive your little lander on the surface of planets. I’ve more than had my money’s worth. Though I’m still only Dangerous in combat but Elite in the other Two.

So what have I done? I’ve bought a lot of ships and engineered them. The FSD upgrade that Farseer offers is vital for getting around. Getting a permit for Shinrarta Dehzra gets you access to just about every ship and module in the game, so that’s a good base. I’ve gone off on excursions to the guardian sites, explored a bit of the lore discovering Jameson’s wreck. Taken some sweet pics of black holes, crashed alien ships, impressive landscapes and been interdicted by a bloody great big Thargoid ship a few times after shooting a few of the scout ships. Flown over my house in the Sol system.

Some of my favourite moments have come from deep core mining in planetary rings. I have a mining python kitted out for firing charges into asteroids and collecting LT Diamonds. With a full hold I hightail it to the nearest station and transfer the lot to another Python built like a tank and armed to the teeth so I don’t get blown to bits travelling to a station offering the highest price. Made a lot of money on void opals before they nerfed the payout.
Tip....Combine your play with Inara to find the best prices for goods.

I also have two Anacondas but I mostly sail around regally in my Federal Corvette which is named Scorpio (Blake’s 7 reference). But I like the Anaconda.

I haven’t gone that far from the bubble but there are commanders who have been playing it for years, self-sustained just out there exploring.

My advice would be to skip some of the smaller ships and save up for an Anaconda perhaps. Look at the Codex to see what others have discovered like barnacles or crystal fields in space. Try and find Voyager. It’s supposed to be out there.

Sometimes the grind is so much, it feels like another job. But then you discover something that’s yours. Once you leave the station for the first time, it’s your story. There’s no saves. You continue doing whatever you like doing so I suggest trying a few different things to mix it up. There’s a new patch coming up that gives you legs to walk around on the planets so that’ll be something new to try later. If it gets too much, switch to another game until the itch starts again.

You've persuaded me to trade in my Fer de Lance for an Anaconda and see it it rekindles my interest for another year or so.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Keep the FDL... just work up to the Anaconda too. Hope it works out.

Yeah good call. I've flown the FDL for so long, it would be a shame to lose it. I do have a modded Keelback somewhere which I don't think I'll return to and can trade that in for a handful of credits.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Yeah good call. I've flown the FDL for so long, it would be a shame to lose it. I do have a modded Keelback somewhere which I don't think I'll return to and can trade that in for a handful of credits.

Isn’t there a trophy for owning 10 ships? Don’t forget to strip the modded parts to storage. You can use them on other ships.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Isn’t there a trophy for owning 10 ships? Don’t forget to strip the modded parts to storage. You can use them on other ships.

Well done it.
Forked out 146 million on an Anaconda.
Biggest culture shock was that it is soooo cumbersome - in dog fights, it feels like trying to turn the Queen Mary.
It is though fairly heavily armoured, so I dived into a Threat 4 zone and picked off the (novice or competent) pirates one by one, while their little popguns only managed to knock my shield down a couple of rings.
Biggest disappointment though was that certain modules - including my painstakingly engineered bulkheads (which took a helluva lot of grinding) cannot be transferred to a different ship. So I guess it means some fresh grinding and visits to the engineers all over again.
Once I'd stripped my FDL, I sold its carcase, as I wanted the credits in the bank, in case I need to pay insurance on the 'conda.
Will try to max out the thrusters to make it a bit less unwieldly but, for now, I'm going to pick only on enemies of expert level or less, as I wouldn't fancy my chances much up against any elite pilots right now.