Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Whilst in hospital there, had time to revisit my 'must get around to one day' list.

Now gratefully back home in my Hobbit hole, determined to finish the game... already stuck and Gandalf is being a right pain in the... :mad:

http://torinak.com/qaop#!hobbit

Happy memories of completing that on my old Speccie - and then a second time on a PC Spectrum emulator.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't think I did get the 100%.
There were a few obscure things which were easily missed in the Elves' dungeon and in Smaug's lair.
And killing Thorin, when he starts singing about gold, whilst satisfying, basically means you can’t finish unless you wait till the last moment to do it.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
What Elves' dungeon and Smaug's lair... :mad: I'm still stuck in the troll's clearing and keep getting ma heid cleaved in.

Ach, dinnae fash yersel!
If I recall from a few decades ago, you just have to keep the trolls occupied until the sun rises.
Try engaging them in conversation.

Fluttermoth

Cult of Jari
Reaction score
What Elves' dungeon and Smaug's lair... :mad: I'm still stuck in the troll's clearing and keep getting ma heid cleaved in.

IIRC, you go back to the previous screen and wait for a bit (you wait.. time passes... ), it's deffo to do with the sun rising, they turn to stone then, GL!

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Did anyone ever watch that BBC Wargame show hosted by Greg Wallace? I’ll never forget his commentary to one team in the series. ‘Annibal! You’re getting mullahed out there!’

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Did anyone ever watch that BBC Wargame show hosted by Greg Wallace? I’ll never forget his commentary to one team in the series. ‘Annibal! You’re getting mullahed out there!’
I really dont like Greg Wallace, and i struggle to see how the talentless, bean headed greengrocer made it on to TV. :p

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There is simply not enough Greg Wallace on tv. I & millions of others would gladly love to have more of his cheery banter on our screens, & his cheeky cockney geezerisms never fail to (continued p.94).

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
Back in Skyrim testing Mods. Does anyone happen to have a game going that has the eggs mod loaded?

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
facebook_1616111232015_6778461804886277397.jpg

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've been playing resident evil 8. I need to get the next two jars of the babies body so its two bosses before the final one.

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
Whilst playing Return of Reckoning last night I got into a chat about the floating stomach feeling you get when you fall from a great height in a game. There were quite a lot of players who also get it.
How does that work?
I would have thought that it was a physical effect on the body not a psychological effect.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Back in Skyrim testing Mods. Does anyone happen to have a game going that has the eggs mod loaded?

I've been playing Skyrim 5, extended edition off and on for months and, despite the sometimes amusing and sometimes irritating bugs (e.g. lethal flying horse, bandit who you decapitated a few seconds ago saying "I cannot beat you. I yield!" and, most annoyingly, having to backtrack to earlier saves because a quest-starting event refuses to trigger) I still rate it as one of the best fantasy RPGs ever (Witcher 3 just pips it I reckon).
I've put in over 200 hours, am married with 2 kids, own houses in every sizeable town, have been a vampire and werewolf and have completed all the main storylines, so there is just a few filling-in-the-gaps quests to do now. I realise that infinitely spawning minor quests means it has no real ending, so I'll probably call it a day when I find that final damn Stone of Barenziah.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I recently completed the journey to Sagittarius A, the centre of the galaxy in Elite Dangerous. It’s taken me months to do it but I now have the prospect of months of jumps getting back to the bubble alive.
So I’ve reinstalled a Zen pinball game on the ps4 which I owned on the old XBox. I’ve always loved pinball but have never had room for an actual machine or the skills to fix one when they regularly break down. Pinball on a 4k screen is the next best thing and there are tie-in tables to all the usual franchises but I am beginning to realise that my reactions are not as lightning as they were.

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Whilst playing Return of Reckoning last night I got into a chat about the floating stomach feeling you get when you fall from a great height in a game. There were quite a lot of players who also get it.
How does that work?
I would have thought that it was a physical effect on the body not a psychological effect.

I get terrible vertigo when playing some games; Mainly the games set in the Star Wars universe for some reason, and then specifically when it is an industrialised landscape.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I get terrible vertigo when playing some games; Mainly the games set in the Star Wars universe for some reason, and then specifically when it is an industrialised landscape.
I get the stomach dropping feeling just by watching first person videos of rollercoaster rides. And that’s not even using VR tech. I think I would probably literally fall down if I watched any first person motion video including race car driving around a circuit, rollercoaster rides, diving off a cliff etc. if I was using VR.

I’ve seen videos of subjects (people) trying to walk over a VR chasm and they know it’s really a flat regular floor. They often cannot do it. The mind’s perception of reality is difficult to act against.

Fluttermoth

Cult of Jari
Reaction score

I'm scared of heights, and many, many times in games I'm only half looking at the screen, with one eye slightly open, so I don't feel sick! I'm still mostly playing Red Dead 2, and Arthur gets sent to some really high places :eek:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I love to know why people are still putting money in star citizen its scam and it's still in alpha.

I am tempted to give it a try mind you, now that my Skyrim adventure is coming to a close and Elite Dangerous has become too much of a grindathon.
$45 or just over £30 buys you all extant SC modules (Hangar, Arena Commander, Star Marine & Persistent Universe) plus the right to a free download of the single-player Squadron 42 adventure, when it is finally released.

I did buy a previous Derek Smart game - Battlecruiser 3000AD, back in around 1998, which was released prior to being properly debugged. He did eventually make the patched version a free download, but I was on Freeserve dial-up at the time and didn't have anywhere near the bandwidth to complete the download. Still, from what I did experience of the game, it was frustrating, but had moments of greatness and SC - its spiritual successor, does have its very loyal fans.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Rome total war has been remastered and is on steam now! Just need to get home and pull a sickie for the next month....

Don't buy it - it's practically the same as the original.