Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

MercuryCrest

The Severed Head of a Great Old One.
Reaction score
The Steam Deck looks very cool. Mind you, I'll wait until the reviews are in, but it's hard to say no to something like that.

Also, I have finally, finally picked up Minecraft. It's as fun as I expected. Got my ass handed to me by a couple of zombies on the first night because I was sick of waiting around until morning, but still really fun.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I am in the position of looking at a new console to replace my old whiny ps4.
I was looking at a PS5 but am not that keen on having to take the doors off to get the thing into the house so I’m thinking about a new xbox instead. Apparently they’re pretty much of a muchness in terms of performance and I’m less keen on Sony’s exclusives than I used to be and there’s also xbox live. What got me thinking was Bethesda’s next big hitter Starfield will be PC and Xbox only and I don’t want to miss that.

Anyone here have either and thoughts on this?

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Put a 4 quid deposit on a steam deck, looks a nifty little device.
Don't blame me when it flops since valve attempt at making high end PCs ended in failure.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was looking at a PS5 but am not that keen on having to take the doors off to get the thing into the house so I’m thinking about a new xbox instead. Apparently they’re pretty much of a muchness in terms of performance and I’m less keen on Sony’s exclusives than I used to be and there’s also xbox live. What got me thinking was Bethesda’s next big hitter Starfield will be PC and Xbox only and I don’t want to miss that.

Save your money and get a ps5 because most of those games on the Xbox x will come out on PC as well.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

As an Xbox and PC gamer, I would definitely plump for Xbox Series X.
My original Xbox has provided many years of flawless service, but the higher spec and storage of the Series X is definitely where I'm going next. Also, if you opt for the Xbox games pass, you have access to a huge catalogue of free games on Xbox or PC- like Skyrim V special edition, which I'm still playing.

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

The way I see it would be to ask yourself if you want to still play your PS4 games? If that's the case then the PS5 (despite it's size*) would be my recommendation.

But if you fancy a change, why not? And as blessmycottonsocks says with Games Pass you do get access to a lot of games.

*It takes up the space of a VCR.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. Megadeth… I don’t have a powerful enough PC at home to run old games, let alone the graphics and performance monsters devs are working on now. I do have a beast of a machine but that’s a work PC and will return to the office when I return. So I’d need a new PC and the necessary spec would probably cost a couple of grand at least.

BMCS…. Yes there’s plenty of backwards compatability but I’m not really the sort who’d spend money on a monthly pass and at the moment, the catalogue would be old games I’ve mostly played on the PS4.

Mr. B… Yes I do play my old ps4 games a lot. I’m still playing elite and recently finished Fallout 4 again and added Far Harbour to prolong the experience. I have a lot of games investment in the PS format and yes, the PS5 is backwards compatible but there again, I could keep the PS4 and continue to play those old games as nature intended.

As digital download will probably kill off physical product, a disc drive isn’t a biggy but that raises another issue of ports for additional ssd storage.
Also, maybe the Xbox controller would be kinder on my hands. I’m finding the smaller ps version causing a few twinges after a while.

Also, upthread, I did mention Starfield and I don’t want to miss that. Maybe Netflix would offer that if they get their planned games platform up and running.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I can't recommend the PS5 enough, but it depends what you want to do with it.

The BC is perfect, and you get a nice performance boost on most games. The transition from PS4 to PS5 is stupidly easy, it will play your PS4 discs or you can download from the store if you have digital versions. If you're a PS+ member you also get a free collection of PS4 hits that plugged a few gaps in my collection.

The new controller is absolutely incredible but you need to try it to understand why. It's a new level of immersion. But the new features only work on PS5 games.

To get the most out of it you'll need a 4K telly, PS+ membership, some PS4 and PS5 games, and it plays UHD blu rays so if you want those it's a nice bonus.

However, if you're not going to use those features I would stick with your 4 and look longingly towards Microsoft instead.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I can't recommend the PS5 enough, but it depends what you want to do with it.

The BC is perfect, and you get a nice performance boost on most games. The transition from PS4 to PS5 is stupidly easy, it will play your PS4 discs or you can download from the store if you have digital versions. If you're a PS+ member you also get a free collection of PS4 hits that plugged a few gaps in my collection.

The new controller is absolutely incredible but you need to try it to understand why. It's a new level of immersion. But the new features only work on PS5 games.

To get the most out of it you'll need a 4K telly, PS+ membership, some PS4 and PS5 games, and it plays UHD blu rays so if you want those it's a nice bonus.

However, if you're not going to use those features I would stick with your 4 and look longingly towards Microsoft instead.
Thanks for the info. On the subject of controllers, is the xbox battery operated or recharge like my ps4 controller. I’ve noticed the ps4 controller is requiring more frequent charging these days.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There are times in Skyrim that you just have to take a breather, put your sword away and enjoy the sunset.

skyrim002.JPG

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Stray has a release date it's out some time in the first half of 2022.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Can definitely recommend The Ascent, although it's a bit more of a shoot-em-up than I expected.
The RPG elements are the main and side quests, choices of dialogue and a bewildering number of skill, weapon and armour power-ups.
The level of detail in the cyberpunk dystopian world is quite stunning.

punk1.JPG

punk2.JPG

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
There are times in Skyrim that you just have to take a breather, put your sword away and enjoy the sunset.

View attachment 42505
Well thanks for that. I’ve just bought Skyrim as the last hurrah of my ps4 before I upgrade. I previously played it on XBox. I‘m a bit of a completist so it’s going to be a long journey. I think I get to build a house in this version too. I’ve found my hatred of Mages has spilled into this game so I’m still that same old sneaky archer thief character of old.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Well thanks for that. I’ve just bought Skyrim as the last hurrah of my ps4 before I upgrade. I previously played it on XBox. I‘m a bit of a completist so it’s going to be a long journey. I think I get to build a house in this version too. I’ve found my hatred of Mages has spilled into this game so I’m still that same old sneaky archer thief character of old.

I loved Skyrim 5 to bits, but you do realise that, due to the infinitely spawning radial quests, it's never possible to "complete" it as such?

Once you've done the Dragonborn main quest and all the more significant side quests, you will get unlimited trivial quests from NPCs asking you to locate random objects for them. By that point, my character had become so ridiculously skilled up and fitted with legendary gear, that there wasn't much of a challenge left. You also get a diminishing number of completion points for each quest.

I feel like I have achieved everything I wanted to do in the game (and yes, designing and building your own mansion for your wife and kids was one of the most satisfying elements) but my completion score is still 120 short of the 1,550 limit.

Same with The Ascent. You know the main storyline is over when the final credits roll. You can play on though to fill in the things you've missed. I subsequently got the completion award for succeeding with every side quest just before I posted those last screen shots above, but my score is only 920/1,000. I simply can't be bothered to revisit every location in case I missed a secret pick-up though.

Last edited:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Downloaded Skyrim: Elder Scrolls a couple of weeks ago. I'm enjoying it. Wandering around getting all kinds of odd jobs to do. Eventually I'll get tired of them and just complete the storyline Similar to Witcher 3, which I never did complete cuz I enjoyed strolling around the vast open world

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
Downloaded Skyrim: Elder Scrolls a couple of weeks ago. I'm enjoying it. Wandering around getting all kinds of odd jobs to do. Eventually I'll get tired of them and just complete the storyline Similar to Witcher 3, which I never did complete cuz I enjoyed strolling around the vast open world
I'm doing just that in Far Cry 4 at the moment - more fun wandering around than following the storyline.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I'm doing just that in Far Cry 4 at the moment - more fun wandering around than following the storyline.
I always wondered if I’d like Far Cry. I didn’t really know what type of game it was.

I kind of gave up on playing Nioh 2. I like it, but am crap and can’t even finish a mission that is rated as a level 10 with a level 24 character!

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
I always wondered if I’d like Far Cry. I didn’t really know what type of game it was.

I kind of gave up on playing Nioh 2. I like it, but am crap and can’t even finish a mission that is rated as a level 10 with a level 24 character!
They're on sale on UPlay at the moment.
Far Cry 4 can get frustrating - once you start a storyline mission you can't move on until you complete it. Fail/Retry/Fail/Retry ... and there's only one game save. There are loads of weapons to use and basically you just run around shooting stuff - nothing too cerebral ;)

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Witcher 3 was remarkably similar to Skyrim Elder Scrolls 5.
I hugely enjoyed both of them but marginally preferred the Witcher, as it was set in a much larger open world and had a proper ending.
As for just wandering around, I certainly did that in Red Dead Redemption 2 and Mad Max (the most enjoyable Xbox game I've ever played).
Compared with my earliest gaming days on a Spectrum 48k and then 128K, the graphics today are utterly magnificent (but I'm not entirely convinced that the fun factor has increased equally).

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Witcher 3 was remarkably similar to Skyrim Elder Scrolls 5.
I hugely enjoyed both of them but marginally preferred the Witcher, as it was set in a much larger open world and had a proper ending.
As for just wandering around, I certainly did that in Red Dead Redemption 2 and Mad Max (the most enjoyable Xbox game I've ever played).
Compared with my earliest gaming days on a Spectrum 48k and then 128K, the graphics today are utterly magnificent (but I'm not entirely convinced that the fun factor has increased equally).
Witcher 3 is one of my all time favourite games.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for games with very large explorable open worlds.

Skyrim Elder Scrolls 5 seemed huge at first, until you realise that all the towns are only a few hundred yards apart and you can traverse the entire continent from West to East at a gentle jog in half an hour or so. Total area? Approx. 15 square miles (size of Oxford).

Witcher 3. In many respects very similar to Skyrim, but noticeably bigger and with a more focused storyline. 22 square miles (size of Plymouth).

Red Dead Redemption 2. Some of the most realistic landscapes ever experienced. A shame much of the gameplay was a grind though. 30 square miles (almost size of Reading).

There must be bigger games out there I thought.
Then it struck me!

MS Flight Sim 2020, with a gorgeously rendered realistic Earth: 196,900,000 square miles.

Elite Dangerous? In excess of 400,000,000,000 square miles.

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
can you remember what that armour is @blessmycottonsocks? I want one!
I'm fully clad in legendary Deathbrand light armour, which gives you loads of bonuses.
Needed to craft it from Stahlrim.
Started playing Skyrim 5 again recently, as I thought I might as well max out all my skills to legendary.
Thought I'd found every location on the map, but discovered 1 or 2 new ones to the far West of the map.

map.JPG