Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for games with very large explorable open worlds.

Skyrim Elder Scrolls 5 seemed huge at first, until you realise that all the towns are only a few hundred yards apart and you can traverse the entire continent from West to East at a gentle jog in half an hour or so. Total area? Approx. 15 square miles (size of Oxford).

Witcher 3. In many respects very similar to Skyrim, but noticeably bigger and with a more focused storyline. 22 square miles (size of Plymouth).

Red Dead Redemption 2. Some of the most realistic landscapes ever experienced. A shame much of the gameplay was a grind though. 30 square miles (almost size of Reading).

There must be bigger games out there I thought.
Then it struck me!

MS Flight Sim 2020, with a gorgeously rendered realistic Earth: 196,900,000 square miles.

Elite Dangerous? In excess of 400,000,000,000 square miles.

If you want somewhere in the middle, AC Odyssey is around 90 square miles (although a hell of a lot of that is sea).

Oh, and that doesn;t include the Underworld or Elysium.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Anyone else tried Lemnis Gate?
Only just arrived on Game Pass and I downloaded it to Xbox One yesterday.
Whilst the shoot-em-up aspects are reasonably satisfying, I'm finding the core turn-based timeloop theme a bit too cerebral and repetitive for my tastes.
Not sure I'll persevere with this, as there are plenty other free games available.

gate.JPG

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Gave up on Lemnis Gate and downloaded Senua's Sacrifice on Xbox instead.
A huge, open Nordic world, with a very intense theme featuring psychosis - the chatter swirling around your head in glorious surround-sound is one of the first things you notice.
Only 30 minutes played so far but, graphically looks amazing - the water and mist effects have come on a bit since Skyrim!

senua2.JPG

senua.JPG

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Nice one bmcs, I hadn't heard of that - looks good.

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Yes, it looks intense. Had a quick look at a playthrough and I can see why it might have that effect on you. Very much up my street though - love the Norse mythology in it, this is what AC: Valhalla should have been like.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm enjoying Senua's Sacrifice - kind of.
Would say that my initial impressions of a large and open world were slightly mistaken though. Whilst you are free to walk or jog around within each new zone you enter, you are limited to certain navigable areas - there's no scaling mountains like in Skyrim for example.
The puzzles are quite esoteric, like scouring the landscape for runic shapes to unlock magical doors.
Combat is fast, visceral and bloody.
Just over an hour spent so far and my Xbox game bar is already showing 9% complete, so I'm expecting only around 10 hours or so gameplay.
Given the bleak and very intense theme though, that's probably enough!

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
That's good to know. I don't think that'll put me off. While I really love open world games (The Witcher 3 is my absolute favourite game ever - thus far) I do think that recent open world games are becoming very lazy: huge, empty maps with copy-and-paste quests. The degeneration in the Assassin's Creed series has been marked. The original AC was ambitious and ground breaking, AC2 was full of heart and beautifully designed, 3 fell flat (for me, at least) while Black Flag was a much needed shake up to the formula and the naval combat was a really nice and well done addition. Unity, which most people seem to hate, I really quite liked - it was ambitious (mission design with multiple points of entry) but certainly a bit flawed. I was excited by the concept of Valhalla but shocked at the sloppy execution. Whereas Odyssey was a love letter to the classical aesthetic and surprisingly historically accurate in certain details and just basically a really good romp around ancient Greek myth and legend with the usual AC precursor tech twist, Valhalla is cartoonish but worse boring. I haven't played it (determined not to give Ubisoft any more money until they stop this lazy approach) but I watched a couple of "Let's Play" videos on YouTube and the people playing in those videos really didn't seem to be enjoying it.

I suspect we've reached a point in the development of open world games where the bean counters have spied the optimum way to control costs, basically just reskinning maps in a new design and pasting in the same handful of quest designs. People will mostly keep buying these games even with their copy-and-paste quest designs for some time but more and more people will stop buying them as time goes on. In the meantime I suspect more linear games will start to offer a bit more actual gameplay for money. After all, these linear on-rails type games had become very lazy which is why the open world games started to become more appealing to a majority of players, now they'll have to innovate to recapture an audience.

I'd never heard of Senua's Sacrifice until your post yesterday and having had a look at a few videos on YouTube I'm already intending to get it, even with the knowledge that it is quite a short game and quite linear. It seems quite innovative in its approach and I love that the lore in it is pretty close to real Norse mythology. Months of looking at AC: Valhalla couldn't persuade me it was worth me picking it up, even though I have played almost every AC game since the original in 2007.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That's good to know. I don't think that'll put me off. While I really love open world games (The Witcher 3 is my absolute favourite game ever - thus far) I do think that recent open world games are becoming very lazy: huge, empty maps with copy-and-paste quests. The degeneration in the Assassin's Creed series has been marked. The original AC was ambitious and ground breaking, AC2 was full of heart and beautifully designed, 3 fell flat (for me, at least) while Black Flag was a much needed shake up to the formula and the naval combat was a really nice and well done addition. Unity, which most people seem to hate, I really quite liked - it was ambitious (mission design with multiple points of entry) but certainly a bit flawed. I was excited by the concept of Valhalla but shocked at the sloppy execution. Whereas Odyssey was a love letter to the classical aesthetic and surprisingly historically accurate in certain details and just basically a really good romp around ancient Greek myth and legend with the usual AC precursor tech twist, Valhalla is cartoonish but worse boring. I haven't played it (determined not to give Ubisoft any more money until they stop this lazy approach) but I watched a couple of "Let's Play" videos on YouTube and the people playing in those videos really didn't seem to be enjoying it.

I suspect we've reached a point in the development of open world games where the bean counters have spied the optimum way to control costs, basically just reskinning maps in a new design and pasting in the same handful of quest designs. People will mostly keep buying these games even with their copy-and-paste quest designs for some time but more and more people will stop buying them as time goes on. In the meantime I suspect more linear games will start to offer a bit more actual gameplay for money. After all, these linear on-rails type games had become very lazy which is why the open world games started to become more appealing to a majority of players, now they'll have to innovate to recapture an audience.

I'd never heard of Senua's Sacrifice until your post yesterday and having had a look at a few videos on YouTube I'm already intending to get it, even with the knowledge that it is quite a short game and quite linear. It seems quite innovative in its approach and I love that the lore in it is pretty close to real Norse mythology. Months of looking at AC: Valhalla couldn't persuade me it was worth me picking it up, even though I have played almost every AC game since the original in 2007.

I'm 224 hours into Odyssey at the moment. Just finishing up the last DLC chapter and I'm done, it's lasted me almost a year!

I managed to get a PS5 a couple of weeks after launch, and apart from the amazing Astro's Playroom I've been playing a PS4 game on it all year. Annoyingly it just got a PS5 60FPS upgrade, after I'd done about 210 hours of it.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

An update on Senua's Sacrifice.
5 hours invested now to reach 20% complete.
Combat in particular becomes much more difficult as you progress.
The auto difficulty setting is quite clever though as, if you get your arse handed to you too frequently, the game makes the next fight a bit easier to give you a sporting chance.
One frustration I found is that you cannot save when you would like and some of the save points are a fair distance apart. This means that, if you die in combat, you get resurrected at an earlier point and you have to repeat several actions and cross a fair bit of the map once more to reach the combat location (where you may well get killed again).
Thoroughly enjoy the puzzles and the graphically stunning scenery, but finding the combat a bit too repetitive and frustrating.

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I'm 224 hours into Odyssey at the moment. Just finishing up the last DLC chapter and I'm done, it's lasted me almost a year!
I didn't pick up the DLC (yet) but I did get over 100 hours just in the base game. Definitely an underrated game. Are the DLC worth it, in your opinion?

An update on Senua's Sacrifice.
5 hours invested now to reach 20% complete.
Combat in particular becomes much more difficult as you progress.
The auto difficulty setting is quite clever though as, if you get your arse handed to you too frequently, the game makes the next fight a bit easier to give you a sporting chance.
Sounding better and better. I like challenging combat. My copy of the game arrived yesterday but I have a long list of DIY tasks to complete first!

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I didn't pick up the DLC (yet) but I did get over 100 hours just in the base game. Definitely an underrated game. Are the DLC worth it, in your opinion?

Sounding better and better. I like challenging combat. My copy of the game arrived yesterday but I have a long list of DIY tasks to complete first!

Nice little video here showing the real woman behind Senua.
Obviously multi-talented as well as beautiful; she's the video editor for the game development studio Ninja Theory.

TangletwigsDeux

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I' ve been gaming since the zx81, wobbly ram packs and everything. Tried 'em all, and have become more and more jaded in recent years as the graphics became unbelievable but the actual gameplay became more and more idiot proof, where once was exploration and discovery and friendship (Hi Everquest, looking for a corpse run), there are now multiple theme parks and boring cookie cutter "collect the widgets" type things.

The only thing I'm still involved in is a cheap online MMORPG called "Black Desert" which at least offers a zillion paths to follow and multiple viable career choices even if it relies too much on random number generators and a cash shop. Typical Korean gameplay but it keeps me happy.

I find myself bored within an hour of starting most recent games, the last Assassins Creed I enjoyed whole heartedly was Syndicate and really that was the setting of Victorian London which did it for me.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score

I would say definitely, especially if you're an AC fan. 'Legacy Of The First Blade' ties Odyssey into the wider/later AC world and 'The Fate Of Atlantis' send you to three entirely new maps and the world of Greek mythology.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I' ve been gaming since the zx81, wobbly ram packs and everything. Tried 'em all, and have become more and more jaded in recent years as the graphics became unbelievable but the actual gameplay became more and more idiot proof, where once was exploration and discovery and friendship (Hi Everquest, looking for a corpse run), there are now multiple theme parks and boring cookie cutter "collect the widgets" type things.

The only thing I'm still involved in is a cheap online MMORPG called "Black Desert" which at least offers a zillion paths to follow and multiple viable career choices even if it relies too much on random number generators and a cash shop. Typical Korean gameplay but it keeps me happy.

I find myself bored within an hour of starting most recent games, the last Assassins Creed I enjoyed whole heartedly was Syndicate and really that was the setting of Victorian London which did it for me.

I'm old skool gamer too, although my first was an Acorn Electron so you've got a few years on me there.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
the last Assassins Creed I enjoyed whole heartedly was Syndicate and really that was the setting of Victorian London which did it for me.
I played AC Syndicate and enjoyed it. I liked standing on top of the spires and rooftops just to gaze at the scenery and then gracefully swan diving into a stack of straw.

The Victorian angle was fun.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - completed the main game and all the DLCs, got all trophies (94 I think?)

Only took me 227 hours!

What a game, just brilliant all the way through. Kassandra is my new favourite protagonist, can we have a spin-off series please?

1634206972938.png

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - completed the main game and all the DLCs, got all trophies (94 I think?)

Only took me 227 hours!

What a game, just brilliant all the way through. Kassandra is my new favourite protagonist, can we have a spin-off series please?

View attachment 46609
I’ve been playing for weeks now and barely scratched the surface. Loving it so far. I’m playing as Alexios.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just completed Senua's Sacrifice after 24 hours and 8 minutes.
Watching the excellent making of feature now.
Must have missed one of the collectable runestones somewhere along the way and, with no way of returning to an earlier save, I'll have to content myself with 90%. A very intense and memorable experience.

Senua.JPG

Next download, will probably be this Pythonesque medieval puzzler:

proc.JPG